[act-ma] 6/20 Engineering-activism- Values Picnic - 7-9, Tuesday *June* 20th - MIT Stata Center Terrace

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Jun 16 06:38:59 PDT 2017

Engineering Activism is hosting a picnic discussion of values in careers
and in tech. It's on theMIT Stata center
<https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>'s 3rd floor terrace on Tuesday *June*
20th, 7-9PM. There are about 15 people RSVP'd now, and it'd be nice to
see a few more there.

There will be sandwiches, interesting people, and some good discussion
of how values play into careers/work/etc and how to make that happen
intentionally.

It's $11.54 (an oddly specific number which includes food and an
eventbrite fee), but if you can't afford it, let me know, and I can comp
you a ticket.

*** TICKET LINK **
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/skip-the-small-talk-about-purpose-the-picnic-edition-tickets-35266636459> <--
important b/c otherwise we won't know how much food to get + make*
** FB Event ** <https://www.facebook.com/events/122462245003943/>
** Google Calendar Event **
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=dGJhbm9nZzh1OHVmMGI3ZDlwdWxhNzBudXMgZW5naW5lZXJpbmcuYWN0aXZpc20ubWFAbQ&tmsrc=engineering.activism.ma%40gmail.com>

And although it is an "Engineering Activism" event, it's a general
discussion, and very much open to non technical people.

Come have a picnic!
Al
-----
Do you care about the impact you’re having on the world around you? Do
you want to make sure your actions and your career remain consistent
with your values, even when there’s pressure to do otherwise? How do you
want your professional life to fit into the rest of your life?

Whether you’re pretty sure you already know what’s important to you and
how to make choices that optimize for those, or whether this is the
first time you’ve asked yourself those questions, join us for a picnic
dinner where we’ll talk about the ethical questions that float around in
your head in the middle of the night (whatever those happen to be for you).

The evening will be structured and facilitated by Skip the Small Talk,
an organization that designs interactions where you get to talk about
the stuff that actually matters. This event is a collaboration with
Engineering Activism: Activism for Technical People.

We will guide your conversations about your personal priorities and
values, your fears and concerns, and your hopes for the future. We’re
not here to tell you what your values or priorities should be or how you
should go about pursuing them; we’re here to help you talk and think
that through, yourself. Once you’ve triangulated on what’s important to
you, we’ll lead a research-based goal-setting exercise, complete with
strategies for what to do when things don’t go according to plan.

We’ll have sandwiches with gluten-free, veggie, and vegan options, so
let us know if you have any other dietary restrictions! You are also
welcome to bring your own food if you prefer.

Please arrive a little early so we can check you in and start our
conversations on time!

Get tickets in advance because we tend to sell out quickly, and if we
hit capacity, we unfortunately won’t be able to sell tickets at the
event. If $10 is not feasible for you, please send an e-mail
toalbert.r.carter at gmail.com <mailto:albert.r.carter at gmail.com>.

*** LOCATION: We'll be onStata Center
<https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>terrace lawn. There will be signs in
case you need help finding it.