[act-ma] Making a living as a queer artist

Evan Greer evangreer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:03:44 PDT 2017

Hi folks,

Evan Greer here. I wanted to invite you all to a Q & A session I'm hosting
at Make Shift Boston on from 7pm - 9pm on Sunday, September 17 for queer
artists / musicians / writers / creative types interested in making a
living (or at least supplementing their income) through their art.

*RSVP and get details
here: https://www.facebook.com/events/116091112433940/
<https://www.facebook.com/events/116091112433940/> *

I'm pasting more info below! Hope you can make it, and please spread the
word!

Queerly,
-Evan Greer
http://evangreer.org

*Q & A: Making a Living as Queer Artist
<https://www.facebook.com/events/116091112433940>*
*Sunday, Sept 17, 7pm - 9pm*
*@ Make Shift Boston, 549 Columbus Ave*

Are you a queer artist, performer, musician, writer, or other creative type
interested in making a living -- or at least supplementing your income --
through your art? Great! Come to this Q & A session to learn from all of my
mistakes!

I'm a trans/femme queer activist and musician, and dropped out of college
to tour fulltime. I supported my family doing that for a number of years.
Now I balance my music with an organizing job, but along the way I've
learned a lot about making a living as a self-employed artist, and I'm
excited to share that with you all! This session will be partially a
presentation with some nuts and bolts tips and tricks, and partly Q&A /
discussion so we can hear from other working artists in the room. My
experience is largely as a musician and freelance writer, but the skills
I'll share will translate to many other disciplines.

*Topics covered include:*
-Building confidence to promote your art
-Asking to get paid / finding gigs and funding sources
-Getting press / media coverage of your work
-Managing online presence / websites / social media
-Selling yourself: press kits, pitching, etc
-Building mutual aid with other artists and supporters
-Quick basics of self-employment / taxes / business stuff
-Scams and shady things to avoid

*The details:*
7pm - 9pm on Sunday, Sept 17
$10 - 20 sliding scale suggested donation. No one turned away.
All ages. Wheelchair accessible.

*More about me: *
Evan Greer is a trans/genderqueer activist singer/songwriter, parent, and
organizer based in Boston. She writes and performs high-energy acoustic
songs that inspire hope, build community, and incite resistance! Evan tours
internationally as a musician and speaker, and facilitates interactive
workshops to support movements for justice and liberation. Wielding an
arsenal of fiercely radical songs that vary in style from pop-punk poetry
to foot-stompin’ bluegrass singalongs, Evan has been honored to
collaborate, tour, and share stages with artists as musically diverse as
Pete Seeger, Against Me!,Talib Kweli, Tom Morello of Rage Against the
Machine, Against Me!, Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, Michael Stipe (REM),
Amanda Palmer, Immortal Technique, Kimya Dawson, Thurston Moore (Sonic
Youth), Hari Kondabolu, Billy Bragg, Pamela Means, Anti-Flag, Downtown
Boys, The Coup, Anne Feeney, Oi Polloi, Dispatch, Dirty Projectors,
Screaming Females, and Chumbawamba. She's currently the campaign director
for Fight for the Future, the viral digital rights nonprofit behind the
largest online protests in history. Evan writes regularly for The Guardian
Time, Newsweek, and HuffPost, has been a guest on Good Morning America and
All Things Considered, and has been interviewed about her music activism by
the New York Times, Rolling Stone, TIME Magazine, Pitchfork, NBC News,
Billboard, the Wall Street Journal, Spin Magazine, CBS News, Washington
Post, Democracy Now!, The Atlantic, The Nation, CNN, Mother Jones, and even
Fox News.

--
*Evan Greer*
Campaign Director