[act-ma] Action for Equity Coalition Seeks First Director

Muadi Dibinga bijimba at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 18:54:15 PDT 2018

Greetings!
Action for Equity (Action) is currently accepting applications for it's first director.  I am leading the executive search and am attaching the job description.  Please share among your networks.
Thank you!
Sincerely,Muadi B. Dibinga

 ACTION FOR EQUITY

JOB DESCRIPTION

title: Director

REPORTS TO: Steering Committee

ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW

In2017 Action for Regional Equity and On the Move: Greater Boston TransportationJustice Coalition merged to form Action for Equity (ACTION). Action for Equity(Action) is a coalition of 11 community-based/social justice organizations thatstrives to create equitable access to quality housing, good jobs, a just andsustainable environment, and equitable transportation, among other things, forall people, as steps to reach the society we want. ACTION is poised to build onthe strong track record of its founding members to fight for an equitablesociety where power is held by all, regardless of race, class, gender, sexualorientation, age, faith, geography, or physical ability. A society where thedisparities resulting from a history of embedded structural racism are not justgone, but people are restored and made whole; where the benefits of ourcollective endeavors in government, community building, development, andprogress in general are felt by all. We are fighting for a society in which theoppression of many is not used to benefit the few, and where neither race noranything else is used as a dividing line.

CoalitionMembers
Arborway CommitteeBikes Not BombsBlack Economic Justice InstituteBoston Tenant CoalitionCity Life/Vida UrbanaConservation Law FoundationFair Housing Center of Greater BostonGreater Four Corners Action Coalition JamaicaPlain Racial Justice & Equity Collaborative LivableStreets AllianceMassPIRGOne Everett SEIU 32BJ Sierra Club of MA Somerville Community Corporation Transit Riders Union United for a Fair Economy
POSITION OVERVIEW

ACTIONis seeking a candidate with a history of leadership in the fight for equity andsocial justice and solid administrative, fundraising and program developmentexperience to serve as our first director. We are looking for a dynamicdetailed-oriented director who will utilize the energy and expertise foundamong our membership to advance our strategic goals. The director will workunder the direction of the coalition’s Steering Committee and will besupervised by the Executive Committee chairperson.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Include,but are not limited to:

Fundraising and FinancialManagement

§  ManageACTION’s finances with the Executive and Finance Committees to ensure overallfinancial and operational strength and stability.

§  Managecreation and execution of annual resource development plan to sustainoperations.

§  ProvideLeadership for Action.

§  Identify,assess and inform the Steering Committee of internal and external issuesaffecting the coalition.

§  Facilitateeffective teamwork among the Steering Committee, volunteers and staff

§  EnsureACTION meets member needs and the Steering Committee’s expectations.

§  Leadstrategic planning process consistent with the vision and mission.

§  Provideleadership to guide ACTION as it learns how to function effectively as theproduct of two “merged” coalitions.

§  EnsureEffective Management and Staffing.

§  Recruit,train, and manage staff, interns and volunteers.

§  Facilitatecommunication between member organizations and the media.

§  Maintaina positive, healthy and safe work environment. Provide leadership in creating aculture of teamwork and accountability.

Community Relations

§  Communicatewith stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the coalition and toidentify changes in community needs.

§  Establisheffective working relationships and collaborative arrangements with communitygroups, funders, elected officials and other organizations to help achieve thegoals of the coalition.

§  EnsureACTION has a compelling marketing and communications strategy; maximize theoutreach to people with lived experience, allies, providers and otherstakeholders

§  Serveas an expert resource for the news media.

§  Source,prepare for, and execute public speaking engagements in the community.

§  Providetestimony on relevant legislation at the municipal, county, and state levels.

§  RepresentACTION at public meetings, with political leaders, and at community events.

§  Strengthenand grow ACTION membership, Steering Committee, and allies.

Program Execution andOperations

§  Plan,convene and provide leadership during ACTION Steering Committee meetings.

§  Ensurethat all responsibilities related to the planning and execution of all ACTIONevents are completed.

§  Planand coordinate campaigns, grassroots outreach, education, and policyinitiatives.

§  Developand execute process to evaluate ACTION’s external programs and campaigns andthe overall performance of the Steering Committee.

Qualifications

§  3-5years of experience in direct organizing in community, tenant, workplace orunion settings.

§  Demonstratedcommitment to issues of equity, social justice, diversity, cultural competencyand antiracism.

§  Abilityto speak frankly and directly about issues of race, poverty and equity.

§  Demonstratedcapacity leading coalitions and assisting coalition leaders in achievingconsensus and taking action.

§  Experiencewith financial statements and budgets; ability to interpret financialinformation, draw appropriate conclusions, and take action.

§  Proventrack record in fundraising and resource development.

§  Demonstratedcapacity recruiting.

§  Experiencefacilitating meetings, organizing events, and giving presentations to a widevariety of audiences.

§  Abilityto work with individuals from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.

§  Agreat sense of humor, good judgment and commitment to improving the lives ofothers.

§  Demonstratedcommunications capacity, including internal communications, media coverage,social media, and shaping reports and other research materials.

§  Experiencesupervising staff, volunteers and interns.

§  Self-starter,ability to work independently.

§  Solidcomputer skills (familiar with Microsoft Office, Internet, and databases).

COMPENSATION

$55,500 - $65,000 based on experience.

Thisis a full-time position. Salary range is negotiable depending on experience.Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, paid vacationdays, and a T pass.

LEVEL OF LANGUAGEPROFICIENCY: English

PROFESSIONAL LEVEL:Executive

MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:No requirement.

HOW TO APPLY

Please send a cover letter and current resume to Muadi B. Dibingaat muadi at muadidibinga.com for review by the Hiring Committee. ACTION is anequal opportunity employer and we value diversity on our staff. We encouragepeople of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants,refugees, women, individuals who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities,and veterans. This position will remain open until filled.