[act-ma] 5/11 Co-op Study Group Kickoff (this Friday!)

Matthew Andrews matthewandrews80 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:43:30 PDT 2018

Join the conversation with folks who want to learn more about cooperation!

Curious about alternative economic models? The dominant economic system
we have today prioritizes production for exchange value. This causes
growing economic inequality and the disruption of our communities. Costs
that do not appear on the company's balance sheet are labeled
"externalities." Contrary to popular myth, there is nothing natural or
inevitable about this!

Join us to explore current ideas, and review past models of cooperation.

We will begin with Professor Richard Wolff's book, Democracy at Work,
which offers a great introduction to "Worker Self-Directed Enterprises"
and why they are so important for us today:
https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/483-democracy-at-work
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.haymarketbooks.org%2Fbooks%2F483-democracy-at-work&h=ATOju1lSP11kCMcQoUf0cadfY-U1O15KyGQ5T0InTtB5vYMCVIfioVetVgyvIAy-6PwITKcRzofWwnBSzwhQHzWTWq2amvqnB_-r-wHsJA&s=1>

Please bring your ideas and passion! We want everyone to participate in
learning and teaching, regardless of your past experience. We will
discuss what we want to explore at future meetings.

We will also choose future meeting times and locations, so let us know
what works best for you.

RSVP on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/123004795228604/

MEETUP.com
You can also join our meetup group and RSVP there:
https://www.meetup.com/agaric/events/250338002/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.meetup.com%2Fagaric%2Fevents%2F250338002%2F&h=ATP2ptnVSuFgAbo9zDM2ACpvCHh4i0HcEnnON_6S4UzSFu7YYnMJ0n-U8eh4EQiia-bFz6iYi9L9ofmAgNk4DN8guq5n2nDKassCtyHITg&s=1>

FOOD
Agaric, a worker-owned web development coop, will provide food and
beverages for this meeting.

ACCESSABILITY
The Democracy Center is partially wheelchair accessible, no accessible
bathroom on site. The Mandela, Parks, and Chavez rooms are accessible,
but the Library is not. Wheelchair users are welcome to use the
accessible restroom at Daedalus while we plan our improvements for
bathroom accessibility. To reach that bathroom, exit the ramp and turn
left on Bow St, at the next building (Daedalus) use their accessible
entrance and their restroom will be on the right. More information at:
democracycenter.org/accessibility
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdemocracycenter.org%2Faccessibility&h=ATP2WZAXTFPwk0posgZ1xQq2ih7C8kNsXhUbDfKZWoT0_gZhmVTPZ4s1hQBApOM8CPmH1gDyplDi0WQgC_sG5FUJJbX4rxqGxDd74zpilQ&s=1>.
Contact info at democracycenter.org <mailto:info at democracycenter.org> or
617 492 8855 as needed