[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - June 3, 2018

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jun 3 10:16:35 PDT 2018

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

————————————————
Monday, June 4 - Tuesday, June 5
————————————————

Quantum Information Science & Technology

————————
Monday, June 4
————————

8:30am  Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare, how to find the perfect balance between efficiency and ethics
4pm  Insights into Artificial Intelligence Applications at Mercedes-Benz
5pm  Nurse SharkTank - Disruptive Solutions for Home Health
7pm  Playing with Light at the Nanoscale: Finding Photons in Unusual Places
7pm  Making Sense of Brexit:  Democracy, Europe, and Uncertain Futures

————————
Tuesday, June 5
————————

8am  Grand Rounds: Stretching, Connective Tissue, Inflammation and Cancer
8am  CEM Symposium on "Rise of Asia: How should US companies respond?”
8am  SENSE.nano SYMPOSIUM
6pm  authors at MIT: Wade Roush, Elizabeth Bear, Ken Liu, S L Huang discuss Twelve Tomorrows

——————————
Wednesday, June 6
——————————

3pm  Passive House Site Tour and Presentation - Cambridge
6pm  Art&Tech//Show&Tell Series : Lani Asuncion & Special Guest on Video Art and Digital Storytelling
6:30pm  In Community: Money Talks
7pm  What Truth Sounds Like:  Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation About Race in America
7pm  Harvey Milk:  His Lives and Death

—————————
Thursday, June 7
—————————

3pm  JAPAN LIFE SCIENCES INNOVATION NIGHT
4pm  Alumni Talk: Single molecule visualization of retroviral integrase searching DNA
6pm  Emergency Meet for Climate Justice
6:45pm  Intelligent Lives: Shattering expectations. Opening minds.
7pm  Marine Mammals in the Anthropocene: Keeping Endangered from Becoming Extinct
7pm  Gardening for Us and Them: How Native Plants Can Feed both Pollinators and Humans
7pm  Live Crowd Investigation - Session #2: Will AI Take Over The World?

————————————————
Friday, June 8 - Saturday, June 9
————————————————

Equal Exchange Food System Summit

———————
Friday, June 8
———————

7:30am  CLIMATE ADAPTATION FORUM - Design World Views on Adaptation and Resiliency
8:30am  Getting to Zero
9am  Toward a Fair & Equitable Massachusetts Economy
9:30am  Walk the Talk on Climate!
7pm  Historical Narrative, Urban Space, and a New Cast to Urban Economics
7pm  Changeable: How Collaborative Problem Solving Changes Lives at Home, at School, and at Work

————————
Monday, June 11
————————

9:30am  New England Machine Learning Accessibility Hackathon
6pm  Boston New Technology Startup Showcase #BNT90 21+
6pm  Storytelling for Technology
6:30pm  Social Venture Partners: Annual Portfolio Spotlight
7pm  The Heritage:  Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism

—————————
Tuesday, June 12
—————————

2pm  AI & Manufacturing
3:30pm  Books at Baker with Francesca Gino on "Rebel Talent”
4pm  Grid Modernization in Massachusetts: Driving Energy Efficiency Through Residential Scorecards
6:30pm  Cerebral Cinema: Inside Out with Professor Kay Tye
6:30pm  Experiencing Personal Genomes
7pm  Brothers of the Gun:  A Memoir of the Syrian War
7pm  The Role of AI in Healthcare in the Developing World

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

The Sayings of Chuang Chou
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-sayings-of-chuang-chou.html

To End a Presidency
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/5/30/1768338/-To-End-a-Presidency

————————————————
Monday, June 4 - Tuesday, June 5
————————————————

Quantum Information Science & Technology
Monday, June 4 - Tuesday, June 5
Harvard, Maxwell Dworkin G115, 33 Oxford Street, Cambridge

International Frontiers in Quantum Materials & Devices Workshop -
Quantum materials offer dramatically new approaches for electronics and photonics, but their characteristics, and the techniques to make devices and interconnected systems are largely unknown.  The Frontiers in Quantum Materials and Devices workshops address this challenge by bringing together experts in materials growth and characterization, device fabrication and testing, and theoretical modeling. Through interactive talks and discussions, they can develop the science and technology needed to advance the science and move toward applications.

The 2018 Frontiers in Quantum Materials and Devices workshop will be held Harvard University in Cambridge, MA.  The workshop is sponsored by the Science & Technology Center for Integrated Quantum Materials based at Harvard.

Host: STC Center for Integrated Quantum Materials (CIQM)
Contact: Naomi Brave
Email: brave at seas.harvard.edu
More information at https://www.seas.harvard.edu/calendar/event/113771

————————
Monday, June 4
————————

Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare, how to find the perfect balance between efficiency and ethics
Monday, June 4
8:30 AM – 10:15 AM EDT
The Westin Boston Waterfront, 425 Summer Street, Ballroom IV, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/artificial-intelligence-in-healthcare-how-to-find-the-perfect-balance-between-efficiency-ethics-tickets-45880940127

On the occasion of BIO 2018, Business France give you the opportunity to discuss about the impact of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare and all the questions it raises. For several years, AI has impacted the healthcare economy, the process of drug development and the management of diseases for patients.

This new approach raise many questions in term of ethics and use of patients data to improve and accelerate drug development and public health policies.

France has made Artificial Intelligence a priority to, and we are pride to have this open discussion with our experts :
Stéphane Verguet, Professor of Global Health at Harvard University, USA
Alexis Normand, Head of business at Withing, USA
More speakers to come ...
In case of any question you could have, please contact Alexandre Blanchot at alexandre.blanchot at businessfrance.fr

——————————

Insights into Artificial Intelligence Applications at Mercedes-Benz
Monday, June 4
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Refreshments: No Refreshments Offered.
MIT, Building E32 - G882, Hewlett, MIT Stata Center Building, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Speakers:
Andrew Hill is a manager at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Dr.-Ing. Joana Hois is an artificial intelligence researcher at Daimler AG, Sindelfingen, Germany.
The number of artificial intelligence driven applications and products increases across industries. In the automotive industry, artificial intelligence has an impact not only on autonomous driving but also on the overall engineering process and functionalities of future vehicles. Hence, processes for developing and manufacturing cars as well as the customer experience with their cars can be improved by applying deep learning, big data, and parallel computing. In this presentation, we highlight some of the recent advances and achievements in user experience, user prediction, and design assistance at Mercedes Benz.

Contact: Philip M Arsenault, pmarsena at csail.mit.edu
Link for info and sign up: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/insights-into-artificial-intelligence-applications-at-mercedes-benz-tickets-45856697617

—————————

Nurse SharkTank - Disruptive Solutions for Home Health
Monday, June 4
5:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Northeastern, East Village, 17th Floor 291 St. Botolph Street, Boston
RSVP at https://events.attend.com/f/1383784640#/reg/0/

Nurse Innovation & Entrepreneurship at Northeastern University in conjunction with AARP Innovation Labs presents... Disruptive Solutions for Home Health Pitch Competition https://www.northeastern.edu/nurseinnovation/nurse-sharktank-2018/

Calling All Products, Prototypes, Apps and Ideas - This year’s Nurse Shark Tank will be a Pitch Competition event in partnership with AARP Innovation Labs and with support from the American Nurses Association.

This event is designed to bring together early stage startups to address opportunities to optimize solutions for independent living.

We welcome startups & entrepreneurs who have created solutions using disruptive technologies (artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, robotics, IoT & other devices) to assist caregivers or nurses who empower individuals to live longer & more independently. If you are or know someone working in this space please direct them to our page (https://www.northeastern.edu/nurseinnovation/nurse-sharktank-2018/).

For the best solutions we will give out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes:
1st Place Prizes sponsored by Medline: $5,000
2nd Place Prize sponsored by BD.com: $3,000
3rd Place Prize: $1,000

AARP People’s Choice Awards: AARP’s people’s choice award will be chosen by the audience. This winning team will go on to the final AARP Innovation Hatchery Pitch Event in Washington DC in October 2018!

All winning teams will also include:

Private 1:1 meetings with top leadership of AARP Innovation Labs, BD.com and Medline
Winner’s Blog on Nurse Innovation & Entrepreneurship Website – and blog will be shared across all our social media and in 1 Newsletter!
Private 1 hour meeting with Dr. Kevin Scanlon, experience Venture Capitalist and Professor at Northeastern University
All teams will be invited back to serve as “Mentors” in our 2019 Hackathon – to further expand their networks…
CHECK OUT SOME OF THE PITCHES FROM LAST YEAR HERE (https://www.northeastern.edu/nurseinnovation/sharktank/)

——————————

Playing with Light at the Nanoscale: Finding Photons in Unusual Places
Monday, June 4
7pm
The Burren, 247 Elm Street, Somerville

Evelyn Hu

More information at http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/science-by-the-pint/

——————————

Making Sense of Brexit:  Democracy, Europe, and Uncertain Futures
Monday, June 4
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

This event is free; no tickets are required.
Harvard Book Store welcomes VICTOR J. SEIDLER—Emeritus Professor in the Department of Sociology at Goldsmiths, University of London—for a discussion of his latest book, Making Sense of Brexit: Democracy, Europe, and Uncertain Futures.

About Making Sense of Brexit
After the shock decision to leave the EU in 2016, what can we learn about our divided and unequal society and the need to listen to each other? This engaging and accessible book addresses the causes and implications of Brexit. Seidler argues that we need new political imaginations across class, race, religion, gender, and sexuality to engage in issues about the scale and acceleration of urban change and the time people need to adjust to new realities.

————————
Tuesday, June 5
————————

Grand Rounds: Stretching, Connective Tissue, Inflammation and Cancer
Tuesday, June 5
8:00 am – 9:00 am (followed by Coffee Hour)
Bornstein Family Amphitheater, BWH, 45 Francis Street, Boston

Helene Langevin, MD
There is growing interest in developing non-pharmacological treatments that could boost natural defenses against cancer. Research at the Osher Center Connective Tissue lab has previously shown that daily gentle stretching in rats improves the resolution of inflammation. At the upcoming Osher Center Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds, Dr. Langevin will present the lab’s most recent results on stretching in a mouse model of breast cancer.

——————————

CEM Symposium on "Rise of Asia: How should US companies respond?"
Tuesday, June 5
8:00am to 2:00pm
Northeastern, Raytheon, Amphitheater (1st Floor) 120 Forsyth Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.damore-mckim.northeastern.edu/events/2018/05/02/12/11/center-for-emerging-markets-8th-annual-symposium

Hear from CEOs and senior executives about how they are leveraging Asia, the world's fastest growing region, given technological change and rising protectionism.

——————————

SENSE.nano SYMPOSIUM
Tuesday, June 5
8:00am to 6:30pm
Broad Institute 415 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://sense.mit.edu/symposia
Cost:  $25 - $75

This full-day symposium will highlight the needs for new SENSE technologies, showcase research and innovations, and present the impact of these technologies on Water, Environment and Agriculture systems. SENSE includes sensors, new instrumentation, remote sensing, and other measurements solutions.

Technical, business, and visionary leaders from MIT, industry, and society will share their experiences and insight via a series of invited technical talks, presentations by MIT-launched startups, posters, and a panel discussion.

————————

authors at MIT: Wade Roush, Elizabeth Bear, Ken Liu, S L Huang discuss Twelve Tomorrows
Tuesday, June 5
6:00pm
The MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Join us in welcoming Wade Roush, Elizabeth Bear, Ken Liu, and SL Huang to the MIT Press Bookstore for a discussion and reading from Twelve Tomorrows. This event is free, and books will be on sale at the event for a 20% discount.

About Twelve Tomorrows:
In this book, edited by Wade Roush, new and established voices in science fiction come together to offer original stories of the future. Ken Liu writes about a virtual currency that hijacks our empathy; Elizabeth Bear shows us a smart home tricked into kidnapping its owner; we encounter metal-melting viruses, vegetable-based heart transplants, search-and-rescue drones, and semi-automated sailing ships. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes frightening, and always relevant, Twelve Tomorrowsoffers compelling visions of potential futures.

Originally launched in 2011 by MIT Technology Review, the Twelve Tomorrows series explores the future implications of emerging technologies through the lens of fiction. Featuring a diverse collection of authors, characters, and stories rooted in contemporary real-world science, each volume in the series offers conceivable and inclusive stories of the future, celebrating and continuing the genre of “hard” science fiction pioneered by authors such as Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Robert Heinlein. Twelve Tomorrows is the first volume of the series to be published in partnership with the MIT Press.

——————————
Wednesday, June 6
——————————

Passive House Site Tour and Presentation - Cambridge
Wednesday, June 6
3:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
North Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/passive-house-site-tour-and-presentation-cambridge-tickets-46416223173

Join us for a site tour of a pre-certified Passive House home in Cambridge with Tagore Hernandez, CPHC and Architect Principal with Group Design Build; and John Rodenhizer, QA/QC Rater with JSR Adaptive Energy Solutions.
In addition to a tour of the building, special guest Jens-Luder Herms from Pro Clima will give a presentation on:
Combining Wood Framing, Airsealing and Woodfiber Insulation: Marrying Carbon Sequestering Enclosures with Airsealing Technology to Create Healthy, Durable Buildings

This presentation will focus on the latest developments in delivering the highest specification for diffusion open, healthy, low energy and sustainable buildings using more natural materials and cutting-edge building technologies, including the challenges and benefits of airsealing and waterproofing full wood assemblies

Jens-Luder Herms supports product research and technology at Pro Clima and develops new export markets. His intimate knowledge of Pro Clima products, expertise in building science, degree in structural engineering and experience with carpentry give him a unique perspective on the integration of these new building components with one of the oldest building materials: wood.

Please note that this is a "boots on the ground" tour of a current construction site.

————————————

Art&Tech//Show&Tell Series : Lani Asuncion & Special Guest on Video Art and Digital Storytelling
Wednesday, June 6
6:00pm
Cambridge Community Television, 438 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.cctvcambridge.org/node/552770

Lani Asuncion uses her body and her camera to navigate landscapes and recall personal stories that transform into abstract narratives that are used to explore her identity as a multicultural, biracial American woman. Through new media, she communicates with a digital language that transcends race and class enabling the creation of a new mix of a place, memory, and a reconstructed past.

On June 6th , this unique artist and a special guest will come to CCTV to discuss their work and the role that video has played in making their ideas come to life.

This spring, CCTV will be starting a new series of seminars that will bring in local art/film/makers to discuss the innovative ways they are using new media and technology to share their unique stories.

contact Keaton Fox at 617-661-6900 or email keaton at cctvcambridge.org

————————————

In Community: Money Talks
Wednesday, June 6
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
SPACE, 423 W Broadway, 300, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/in-community-money-talks-tickets-46065299551
Cost:  $5

Money is power.
Money is the root of all evil.
Money is a means to an end.
I think it's fair to say we have a complex relationship with money. Whether we fear it, loathe it, feel guilty for wanting it or just never feel like we have enough of it, it's rare to feel completely at peace in regards to our bank accounts.
This night is dedicated to beginning to heal our relationship with money in community. There will be a roundtable discussion of personal experiences and resources, opportunity to connect with and support one another and challenge our views on what money is and can represent in our lives.

————————————

What Truth Sounds Like:  Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation About Race in America
Wednesday, June 6
7:00 PM (Doors at 6:30)
First Parish Church, 1446 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/michael_eric_dyson/
Cost:  $5 - $26.25 (online only, book included)

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome acclaimed writer and Georgetown professor MICHAEL ERIC DYSON for a discussion of his latest book, What Truth Sounds Like: Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation About Race in America.

About What Truth Sounds Like
In 2015 BLM activist Julius Jones confronted Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton with an urgent query: “What in your heart has changed that’s going to change the direction of this country?” “I don’t believe you just change hearts,” she protested. “I believe you change laws.”

The fraught conflict between conscience and politics—between morality and power—in addressing race hardly began with Clinton. An electrifying and traumatic encounter in the sixties crystallized these furious disputes.

In 1963 Attorney General Robert Kennedy sought out James Baldwin to explain the rage that threatened to engulf black America. Baldwin brought along some friends, including playwright Lorraine Hansberry, psychologist Kenneth Clark, and a valiant activist, Jerome Smith. It was Smith’s relentless, unfiltered fury that set Kennedy on his heels, reducing him to sullen silence.

Kennedy walked away from the nearly three-hour meeting angry—that the black folk assembled didn’t understand politics, and that they weren’t as easy to talk to as Martin Luther King. But especially that they were more interested in witness than policy. But Kennedy’s anger quickly gave way to empathy, especially for Smith. “I guess if I were in his shoes…I might feel differently about this country.” Kennedy set about changing policy—the meeting having transformed his thinking in fundamental ways.

There was more: every big argument about race that persists to this day got a hearing in that room. Smith declaring that he’d never fight for his country given its racist tendencies, and Kennedy being appalled at such lack of patriotism, tracks the disdain for black dissent in our own time. His belief that black folk were ungrateful for the Kennedys’ efforts to make things better shows up in our day as the charge that black folk wallow in the politics of ingratitude and victimhood. The contributions of black queer folk to racial progress still cause a stir. BLM has been accused of harboring a covert queer agenda. The immigrant experience, like that of Kennedy—versus the racial experience of Baldwin—is a cudgel to excoriate black folk for lacking hustle and ingenuity. The questioning of whether folk who are interracially partnered can authentically communicate black interests persists. And we grapple still with the responsibility of black intellectuals and artists to bring about social change.
What Truth Sounds Like exists at the tense intersection of the conflict between politics and prophecy—of whether we embrace political resolution or moral redemption to fix our fractured racial landscape. The future of race and democracy hang in the balance.

—————————

Harvey Milk:  His Lives and Death
Wednesday, June 6
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes distinguished scholar and award-winning author LILLIAN FADERMAN for a discussion of her latest book, Harvey Milk: His Lives and Death.

About Harvey Milk
Harvey Milk—eloquent, charismatic, and a smart-aleck—was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977, but he had not even served a full year in office when he was shot by a homophobic fellow supervisor. Milk’s assassination at the age of forty-eight made him the most famous gay man in modern history; twenty years later Time magazine included him on its list of the hundred most influential individuals of the twentieth century.

Before finding his calling as a politician, however, Harvey variously tried being a schoolteacher, a securities analyst on Wall Street, a supporter of Barry Goldwater, a Broadway theater assistant, a bead-wearing hippie, the operator of a camera store and organizer of the local business community in San Francisco. He rejected Judaism as a religion, but he was deeply influenced by the cultural values of his Jewish upbringing and his understanding of anti-Semitism and the Holocaust. His early influences and his many personal and professional experiences finally came together when he decided to run for elective office as the forceful champion of gays, racial minorities, women, working people, the disabled, and senior citizens. In his last five years, he focused all of his tremendous energy on becoming a successful public figure with a distinct political voice.

—————————
Thursday, June 7
—————————

JAPAN LIFE SCIENCES INNOVATION NIGHT
Thursday, June 7
3:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Venture Cafe at Cambridge Innovation Center, 5th floor, 1 Broadway, Cambridge

Website:  http://www.vencaf.org/calendar
Phone:  6177584100

————————————

Alumni Talk: Single molecule visualization of retroviral integrase searching DNA
Thursday, June 7
4:00pm to 5:30pm
MIT, Building 32-144, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Kristine Yoder '93
Retroviruses, like HIV, have two unique activities: reverse transcription of an RNA genome to DNA and integration of the viral DNA genome into the host genome. The integration site is not random in the target genome, but the mechanism of searching target DNA is not known. We have explored the dynamics of retroviral integration using multiple single molecule microscopy platforms including magnetic tweezer, total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF), and fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET). We are able to visualize integrase searching a target DNA in real time by 1D rotation coupled diffusion. When integration occurs, the time between the joining the two viral DNA ends is approximately half a second. These studies are the first visualization of retroviral integrase dynamics.

————————————

Emergency Meet for Climate Justice
Thursday, June 7
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
José Mateo Ballet Theatre, 400 Harvard Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/emergency-meet-for-climate-justice-tickets-46234406354

Dance for World Community presents:  EMERGENCY MEET FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE
Calling all dancers, activists and concerned citizens of Greater Boston and beyond to join us for refreshments, a kick-off performance and an important discussion about climate change, its potential threat to our communities and the implication of its effects on particularly vulnerable populations.

Meet Paul Kirshen, Professor at UMass Boston's School for the Environment and learn about the latest findings in the SCIENCEof climate change.

Meet Director Rebecca Herst, of Sustainable Solutions Lab and hear about creative ADVOCACY by various local organizations to combat climate-related social inequities.

Meet Director Marsha Parrilla, of Danza Organica and be inspired by a DANCE performance and discussion with artists address important issues through the power of dance.

Meet Program Manager Gabriela Boscio of NOAH and Vice President Salvador Cartagena of Eastie Farms and learn aboutdeliberate ACTION you can take to mitigate climate change effects and combat climate injustice.

————————————

Intelligent Lives: Shattering expectations. Opening minds.
Thursday, June 7
6:45 PM – 9:15 PM EDT
University Hall Gallery, UMass Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intelligent-lives-shattering-expectations-opening-minds-tickets-43884996205

Thank you for your interest in this screening. As of May 15, we have reached capacity for the reception, but you are still able to register for the film screening. If attending the screening only, please arrive at University Hall by 6:45 - remember to allow time for the shuttle bus that will bring you from the parking lot to the hall.

Think College and the Institute for Community Inclusion at UMass Boston are thrilled to announce our partnership on the world premiere of award-winning director Dan Habib’s new film, Intelligent Lives. The film acts as a catalyst to transform the label of intellectual disability from a life sentence of isolation into a life of possibility for the most systematically segregated people in America. We are honored to collaborate with Dan(creator of "Including Samuel") to raise awareness, engage communities, and create positive change.

Intelligent Lives follows the stories of three pioneering young adults with intellectual disabilities – Micah, Naieer, and Naomie – as they challenge perceptions of intelligence while navigating high school, college, and the workforce. Learn more about the film, connect on social media and view a clip at http://www.intelligentlives.org.

Please join us for screening of the full film which will begin at 7 pm, and will be followed by a post-viewing panel discussion and audience Q & A, featuring the filmmaker and stars.

FAQs
What do the two ticket types represent?
If you have a ticket for Reception and Screening, you should arrive by 6 pm to participate in a pre-screening reception with the film-maker and staff from the Institute for Community Inclusion and Think College who will share resources and answer questions.

If your ticket is for the screening only, arrive by 6:45 pm to be seated in the auditorium for the film that will start at 7 pm.
Who is the intended audience for this film?

We encourage all who are interested in the challenges of determining what "intelligence" means and how to measure it, and believes in the rights of all people to be fully included in school, work and community to come see this film. It is intended to challenge and inspire all who see it to think deeply about how narrow definitions of intelligence have impacted our society.

————————————

Marine Mammals in the Anthropocene: Keeping Endangered from Becoming Extinct
Thursday, June 7
7pm
NE Aquarium, Simons IMAX Theatre, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at http://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107606&view=Detail

Scott Kraus, Ph.D., Vice President and Senior Science Advisor, Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium

REGISTER
Recent marine extinctions suggest that humanity does not have a good record of coexisting with marine mammals. Given continuing human population growth, ocean industrialization will expand, raising questions about the balance between human needs and wildlife. This is a battle that marine mammals are currently losing, but there are actions we can take to change the outcome.

First, we scientists should get better at telling our story—why wildlife matters, how marine mammals are a critical part of a functioning ecosystem, why human activities continue to threaten both marine mammals and the oceans, and no, the whales are not saved yet. Endangered species need constituencies and public support, and most don’t have enough. Second, assessment methods for rare species need improvement. Elegant population and viability models may be of limited utility in small populations because inherently small sample sizes yield large variances with little ability to detect trends. Other robust biological signals can be better at predicting impending changes in small populations. Third, small populations of marine mammals require more protected habitat, better definitions of what that means, and prohibitions on harmful activities in those areas. In some marine mammals this may mean protecting migratory corridors, from breeding to feeding grounds, across international boundaries. Fourth, the permitting and funding of rare population conservation and recovery efforts are inadequate, partly because of limited public support. Finally, although counterintuitive, scientists should work with all stakeholders, including the oil, gas, and seismic industry, the fishing industry, wind utilities, and aquaculture facilities, to help them make their activities less detrimental. We do not yet have a collective view of how marine mammals will survive in an industrialized ocean, but if we take these steps, the next generation of scientists will be able to bring a vision of coexistence closer to reality.

——————————

Gardening for Us and Them: How Native Plants Can Feed both Pollinators and Humans
Thursday, June 7
7:00–8:30pm
Arnold Arboretum, Hunnewell Building, 125 Arborway, Jamaica Plain
Register at my.arboretum.harvard.edu or call 617-384-5277
Cost:  $0 - $10

Dan Jaffe, Propagator and Stock Bed Grower, New England Wild Flower Society
People typically begin to create gardens for aesthetic reasons. However, many soon find that they want more than simple beauty and look to incorporate plants that contribute on multiple levels. Dan Jaffe will address a current trend (one that we hope is lasting) for gardening with pollinator-friendly and edible plants. He’ll explain which flower shapes and colors attract insects, which edibles are more resistant to diseases and pests, and how to provide for pollinators across the growing season. Armed with a bit of knowledge and a selection of low-maintenance native plants, you can create a multi-tasking garden that nourishes the needs of both humans and pollinators. Dan’s book with co-author Mark Richardson, Native Plants for New England Gardens, will be available for purchase and signing.

———————————

Live Crowd Investigation - Session #2: Will AI Take Over The World?
Thursday, June 7
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Reviving-Investigative-Journalism-Meetup-Group/events/250426127/

Together, we conduct a live crowd investigation to determine the validity of evidence provided to us by the media. This week, we will be discussing the narrative around Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how it will "take over the world."

This will be our second session together and will serve as our Deep Dive Session. Even so, folks are encouraged to bring newcomers along to jump right in with us!

The current narrative we have been given is that AI is going to take away people's jobs, livelihoods, and could even be the end of the human race. In this meetup, we will ask these questions: Where did this narrative come from? Is there any validity to these claims? What evidence has been provided?

We've enjoyed some learning and discussion together. Now is a good time for us to break up individually and investigate the particular leads each of us are interested in.

We'll take the first hour we have together to do that individual investigative work. Each of us can choose whatever leads/questions we are interested in. You may also partner up if you don't want to go about it solo. For the second hour, we will open it up, go around the table and share each other's findings. We can utilize the Idea Paint walls to note the biggest takeaways and discoveries we individually come across as we find them.

Don't forget to join us on YouTube Live if you would like to participate remotely.

Food and drinks will be provided, this event is sponsored by District Hall.

Here are all the ways to join us:

In person at District Hall.

In our Live Stream on YouTube during the session:
(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmOMqBn30_-F4OYDYiNZ8w)

On Discord to participate remotely online before and after the session:
(https://discord.gg/y54dUTC)

————————————————
Friday, June 8 - Saturday, June 9
————————————————

Equal Exchange Food System Summit
Friday, June 8 - Saturday, June 9
Stonehill College in North Easton, MA and Equal Exchange Headquarters in West Bridgewater

Equal Exchange is planning our annual Food System Summit at Stonehill College June 8-9th, it is a gathering of all parts of our supply chain to come together and work toward positive change in our food system. Our producer partners, worker-owners of our cooperative, and members of the Equal Exchange Action Forum get together and discuss issues surrounding our food system and how we can come together to formulate positive solutions. We will have discussions on the corporate consolidation of the food system, keynote speakers from Tea Promoters of India (TPI) and Abel Fernandez on the board for a large Fair Trade cooperative in the Dominican Republic called CONACADO. Other speakers include Migrant Justice in VT, Interfaith partners, local dairy cooperatives, and other alternative traders discussing common struggles and lessons surrounding our food system.

Get more info and RSVP here:
http://equalexchange.coop/equal-exchange-summits-2018

Danielle Robidoux
Action Forum Organizer(774)-776-7407
drobidoux at equalexchange.coop <drobidoux at equalexchange.coop>

———————
Friday, June 8
———————

CLIMATE ADAPTATION FORUM - Design World Views on Adaptation and Resiliency
Friday, June 8
UMass Club, One Beacon Street, Boston
7:30 a.m. - 11:30am Includes continental breakfast and networking break.
RSVP at https://www.cvent.com/events/design-world-views-on-adaptation-and-resiliency/registration-904d45d1d1834b929c618d9386f2b506.aspx
EBC Member: $35;  Non-members: $45;  Government/Nonprofit: $15  This rate is available for those employed by Government, Municipal, or Nonprofit organizations and students

Design leaders and urban design exemplars from around the world offer a wealth of inspiration and instruction for climate adaptation and carbon neutrality. This fourth installment in the series of quarterly Climate Adaptation Forums, organized jointly by the Environmental Business Council and the Sustainable Solutions Lab (SSL) at UMass Boston, will focus on design on an international, regional, and local scale.

To begin this Forum Jurgen Bruns-Berentelg, President and CEO of HafenCity, will discuss what is arguably the most innovative flood-protection development in Europe. This climate adaptation development has resulted in the transformation of Hamburg, Germany’s old port into a vibrant new commercial, residential, and civic district. Through bold public investment in raised streets and infrastructure together with competitive selection used the development was able to attract massive private investment and leading architecture.

Herbert Dreiseitl, the leader of Ramboll’s Living Cities Lab, will follow with a global review of inspiring design solutions for living with water – including examples from Germany, Denmark, Singapore, and the United States. He will highlight how technical innovation and aesthetic strategies are integrated to achieve exemplary climate adaptations at urban scales.

After a networking break, a rapid-fire panel discussion will energize the audience. The focus will be on planning and design challenges and successes for climate adaptation projects from around New England.

Forum Co-Chairs:
Jason Hellendrung, Vice President, Planning & Design, Tetra Tech
Ellen Watts, Principal, Co-Founder, Architerra Inc.

Speaker Agenda
From Good City Form to Urban Transformation – Co-development of Urbanity, Sustainability and Resilience
Inspirations from HafenCity Hamburg, Germany
Jürgen Bruns-Berentelg, CEO, HafenCity Hamburg GmbH
Livable Cities Thriving with Water: Artful, Technically Innovative, Integrated – Design Strategies That Work
Herbert Dreiseitl, Director, Liveable Cities Lab, Ramboll

Panel Presentation
Rapid Fire – Projects and Programs Taking Action
Panel Moderator: David W. Cash, Dean, John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, Sustainable Solution Lab, University of Massachusetts Boston

Panelists:
Alexander Felson, Associate Professor, Yale School of Architecture; Director and Principal Investigator, Yale F&ES + YSOA
Mia Mansfield, Climate Ready Boston Program Manager, City of Boston’s Office of Environment, Energy, and Open Space
Thomas N. O’Brien, Founding Partner, Managing Director, The HYM Investment Group, LLC
Meghan Venable-Thomas, Cultural Resilience Fellow, Enterprise Community Partners
Alex Wilson, President, Resilient Design Institute; Founder, Building Green, Inc.

CONTACT
Email: ebc at ebcne.org
Phone: 617-505-1818

————————————

Getting to Zero
Friday, June 8
8:30 AM – 10:00 AM EDT
50 Milk Street, "Edison" Room on the 16th floor, 17th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-to-zero-tickets-45352000053
Cost:  $0 – $15

ABOUT THE GETTING TO ZERO NATIONAL FORUM
Not able to make it to the Getting to Zero conference? No worries, join Henrietta Davis (former mayor of Cambridge) and Kate Bubriski (Director of Sustainability at Arrowstreet) for their key takeaways on where the national net-zero market is going and other details from the conference.
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) and New Buildings Institute (NBI) are once again joining forces to bring you the premier global event dedicated to defining the future of low energy and zero energy (ZE) buildings.
ZE has captured the imagination of building professionals and energy efficiency advocates as a path to transform the built environment. Nearly all those surveyed believe ZE will be mainstream by 2050. The Getting to Zero National Forum is a platform for changemakers working to realize that vision.
Forum attendees will share perspectives on the growth of ZE, discuss the policies driving new projects, engage in best practices for successful outcomes and collaborate on opportunities for ZE to become the standard for the built environment.

————————————

Toward a Fair & Equitable Massachusetts Economy
Friday, June 8
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM EDT
Northeastern, Curry Student Center, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/toward-a-fair-equitable-massachusetts-economy-tickets-46146090198
Cost:  $15 – US$50

The Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts is excited to host our 29th Annual Conference: Toward a Fair & Equitable Massachusetts Economy: Practical Steps for a Diverse & Inclusive Entrepreneurial Community. Please join us on June 8 from 9am until Noon at Northeastern's Curry Student Center in Boston.
Conversation leaders of the Conference include:
Derek Peebles: Director of Cincinnati Independent Business Alliance & Economics of Compassion Initiative
Irene Li: Co-Founder of Mei Mei Restaurant
Justin Kang: Vice President of Economic Growth for the Boston Chamber of Commerce
Ed Dugger: Founder & President of Reinventure Capital

————————————

Walk the Talk on Climate!
Friday, June 8
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM EDT
Copley Square, 560 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/walk-the-talk-on-climate-tickets-46020776381

On Thursday June 7, Mayor Walsh will hold an International Mayors Climate Summit. The following day, on June 8th, he will kick off the US Conference of Mayors Annual Meeting.
Join the rally Friday morning in Copley Square to call on Mayor Walsh and all mayors to turn their climate promises into climate action! They must 'walk the talk' on climate.

Call 617-971-8568 with any questions.

————————————

Historical Narrative, Urban Space, and a New Cast to Urban Economics
Friday, June 8
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes economist and historian MICHAEL TURK for a discussion of his latest book, Historical Narrative, Urban Space, and a New Cast to Urban Economics.

About Historical Narrative, Urban Space, and a New Cast to Urban Economics
A rethinking of urban economics involves transforming time from a metronomic parameter to an assaying of connection, separation, and memory. Accordingly, what should be the proper weighting of history in analyses of the urban economic environment, and how might differing takes on the nature of urban space figure in reimagining such analyses?

From this conceptual turn, mathematical, social, and historical challenges to conventional treatments of urban economics follow. These challenges, though, are hardly discrete.

The social and the historical come together, as collective experience may be manifested in acts by historical agents and be built around governmental laws and rules as well as customary practices. One might also see the social consequences of the assumption of mathematical continuity, implicitly accepting the axiom of mobility, in that the mathematics employed translates into a lack of recognition of the virtues of immobility, namely housing security for the broader community, a social consideration contributing to why housing markets are different.

What emerges is a critique of many of the standard models in urban economics. For, however abstracted models based upon location theory or implicit framing devices, like the imperative of technology or the tension between concentration and dispersal, may be, they must be comprehended as narratives. These economic narratives do not stand alone but must be grounded in history. In the process, one may well find counter-narratives leading to markedly different conclusions, as in the case of rent control or depictions of the role of land speculation in urban development.

———————————

Changeable: How Collaborative Problem Solving Changes Lives at Home, at School, and at Work
Friday June 8
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Stuart Ablon
With illuminating scientific evidence, remarkable success stories, and actionable insights, Changeable gives a roadmap for healthy growth to parents, teachers, CEOs, and anyone interested in learning.

————————
Monday, June 11
————————

New England Machine Learning Accessibility Hackathon
Monday, June 11
9:30 AM – 7:00 PM EDT
Microsoft New England R&D, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-england-machine-learning-accessibility-hackathon-tickets-44982439688

Join us on Monday, June 11th for a day of Machine Learning for Accessibility! The goal will be to create solutions that promote accessibility and inclusion.
Please register to attend and note if you are interested in leading a team. Topics are being collected through the month of May to form teams. Current projects include:
Data Analytics Tool for parents and therapists using Pathfinder Health Innovations which tracks multi-year behaviors and skill acquisition for children in autism therapy and special education. Led by Leo Junquero & Brent Samodien, Microsoft.
Neurodiversity Social Chatbot. Led by Dr. Joel Salinas, Harvard Medical School/MGH and Dr. Jordi Albo-Canals, NTT Data/Tufts University. How do we learn to relate with another person? How do we communicate so we both feel heard, honored, and respected for who we are? How--despite so many barriers--can we connect better? We all struggle with these questions. But for some, these questions feel unanswerable and insurmountable. While there is still no replacement for the all benefits of face-to-face interaction with others, we can begin to overcome this challenge through the thoughtful application of machine-learning to make face-to-face connections easier, better. As featured in this New York Times Modern Love essay, Gus, a 13-year-old on the autism spectrum, learned how to connect better with other people on his own terms with some unexpected help: Siri. Yes, Siri on his iPhone. BIG challenges don't have easy solutions. But if that gets your blood pumping, then let's work together and tackle this epic problem head on!
American Sign Language: Fact or Opinion Quiz. Led by Danielle Bragg, University of Washington/Microsoft Research, and Dr. Naomi Caselli, Boston University. The ability to distinguish between facts and opinions is an important skill taught in K-12 education. Exercises used in schools are all in English, which is not the primary language of the Deaf community -- American Sign Language (ASL) is. Help us build a tool entirely in ASL that quizzes students on whether content is fact or opinion. The system will both display content in signed ASL, and evaluate answers signed to a camera.
ASL Scattergories. Led by Danielle Bragg, University of Washington/Microsoft Research, and Dr. Naomi Caselli, Boston University. Sign language translation lags far behind spoken language translation in large part due to a lack of proper training data. Help us build an online American Sign Language (ASL) scattergories game to help collect a large, labelled corpus of signs executed by diverse signers to boost translation efforts.
Seeing AI App - improving UPC barcoding identification, particularly on non-flat surfaces. Led by Accessibility Engineers.
Learning Differences
Other topics being added through end of May.
AGENDA
9:30am: Doors Open, Check-In, Coffee
10am: Kick-Off & Team Orientations/Hacking
12pm: Idea Exchange & Lunch
4:30pm: Team Submissions due
5pm - 7pm: Team Presentations, Dinner, Prizes and Awards
JUDGES:  to be announced
PRIZES: Prizes will be awarded. Top prizes include Xbox One S.

———————————

Boston New Technology Startup Showcase #BNT90 21+
Monday, June 11
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Foley Hoag, 155 Seaport Boulevard, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/250425848/
Price: $15.00 /per person

See 7 innovative and exciting local technology demos, presented by startup founders

Network with 200 attendees from the Boston-area startup/tech community

Get your free professional headshot photo from The Boston Headshot (non-intrusively watermarked)

Enjoy dinner with beer, wine, other beverages & more

Purchase 2 days in advance to save 50% (only $15). Price increases to $30 during the last 48 hours.

Each company presents an overview and demonstration of their product within 5 minutes and discusses questions with the audience.

Please follow @BostonNewTech and support our startups by posting on social media using our #BNT90 hashtag. We'll retweet you!

To save on tickets and enjoy exclusive benefits, purchase a BNT VIP Membership. Learn more: http://bit.ly/bNtvip

———————————

Storytelling for Technology
Monday, June 11
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
CIC Cambridge, 1 Broadway, Venture Cafe 5th Floor, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/storytelling-for-technology-tickets-46373086149
Cost:  $25 – $30

Creative agencies and productions teams are tasked to tell stories for clients with new products and services, and help express the mission and values of a company. What’s behind the magic companies use to apply the message in media and content with information and emotion that ultimately makes the connection with the consumers and targeted audiences?
With the goal to captivate viewers and make a complex or unseen technology compelling, desirable, or the missing link to a solution – or even just explain how something works, storytelling and execution is key. We’ll tackle how these intersect with real examples and a range media from unique perspectives.

SCHEDULE
6:00 - 7:00 pm Check In & Social (Venture Cafe)
7:00 - 9:00 pm Speakers & Panel Discussion (Havana Room)
Beer & Wine + Food served during the social hour!

MEET THE PANEL
Chris Pollara - Founding Partner, Convertiv
Allison Kramer, Executive Producer / Evan Sussman, Creative Director, Hero4Hire Creative
Sam Pitino - Creative Director, Small Army
Justin McCahill - Creative Technologist, Bose

Storytelling for Technology is generously supported by Cambridge Innovation Center.

———————————

Social Venture Partners: Annual Portfolio Spotlight
Monday, June 11
6:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
The NonProfit Center, 89 South Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-venture-partners-annual-portfolio-spotlight-tickets-45352228737

Please join us for SVP's Annual Portfolio Spotlight on Monday, June 11th as we welcome our Spring 2018 Grantee (to be announced), and bid farewell to Grantee Families First after three great years.
Stick around for the second half of the event to hear from three of our Grantees, all at various stages in their relationship with SVP, and learn more about their important work.

Evening's Program
6:30 - 7:00pm: Social Hour - light bites and cash bar
7:00 - 7:30pm: Families First Farewell & Introducing SVP's Spring 2018 Grantee
7:30 - 8:45pm: Highlighting 3 Grantees: My Life My Choice, Union Capital Boston, and our newest Grantee (TBA)

———————————

The Heritage:  Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism
Monday, June 11
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes ESPN writer and NPR sports correspondent HOWARD BRYANT for a discussion of his latest book, The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism.

About The Heritage
It used to be that politics and sports were as separate from one another as church and state. The ballfield was an escape from the world's worst problems, top athletes were treated like heroes, and cheering for the home team was as easy and innocent as hot dogs and beer. "No news on the sports page" was a governing principle in newsrooms.

That was then.

Today, sports arenas have been transformed into staging grounds for American patriotism and the hero worship of law enforcement. Teams wear camouflage jerseys to honor those who serve; police officers throw out first pitches; soldiers surprise their families with homecomings at halftime. Sports and politics are decidedly entwined.

But as journalist Howard Bryant reveals, this has always been more complicated for black athletes, who from the start, were committing a political act simply by being on the field. In fact, among all black employees in twentieth-century America, perhaps no other group had more outsized influence and power than ballplayers. The immense social responsibilities that came with the role is part of the black athletic heritage. It is a heritage built by the influence of the superstardom and radical politics of Paul Robeson, Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos through the 1960s; undermined by apolitical, corporate-friendly "transcenders of race," O. J. Simpson, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods in the following decades; and reclaimed today by the likes of LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, and Carmelo Anthony.

The Heritage is the story of the rise, fall, and fervent return of the athlete-activist. Through deep research and interviews with some of sports' best-known stars—including Kaepernick, David Ortiz, Charles Barkley, and Chris Webber—as well as members of law enforcement and the military, Bryant details the collision of post-9/11 sports in America and the politically engaged post-Ferguson black athlete.

—————————
Tuesday, June 12
—————————

AI & Manufacturing
Tuesday, June 12
2:00 PM EDT
Webcast
RSVP at https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1187983&tp_key=1ecefe900d

Robots and the Internet of Things are tools that are only as good as the data and business models that support them. How are the factories of the future already using artificial intelligence? Where can deep learning be used to manage operations?

In this webcast, we'll chat with industry experts and practitioners about how AI is transforming manufacturing, from prototyping and production to preventative maintenance. We'll dispel some myths around AI and examine where smart manufacturers can apply the technology now.

Key Takeaways: We'll look at the following topics around AI and manufacturing:
Demystifying buzzwords such as "factories of the future," "IIoT," "Industry 4.0," and "digital transformation"
How government, academia, and industry can work together for competitiveness
Examples of how manufacturers are using machine learning and related technologies today

Audience Benefits: Manufacturers can get a grip on how AI can actually help them and the range of possibilities through partnerships and planning.

————————————

Books at Baker with Francesca Gino on "Rebel Talent"
WHEN  Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 3:30 – 5 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Business School, Aldrich Hall 210, Soldiers Field Road, Allston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Business, Education
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Baker Library
SPEAKER(S)  Francesca Gino, Tandon Family Professor of Business Administration (HBS)
COST  Free
CONTACT INFO  schurch at hbs.edu
DETAILS  Rebels have a bad reputation. We think of them as troublemakers, outcasts, and contrarians. But in truth, rebels are also those among us who change the world for the better with their unconventional outlooks. Instead of clinging to what is safe and familiar, and falling back on routines and tradition, rebels defy the status quo. They are masters of innovation and reinvention, and they have a lot to teach us.
In Rebel Talent, Professor Francesca Gino (HBS) argues that the future belongs to the rebel — and that there’s a rebel in each of us. We live in turbulent times, when competition is fierce, reputations are easily tarnished on social media, and the world is more divided than ever before. In this cutthroat environment, cultivating rebel talent is what allows businesses to evolve and to prosper. And rebellion has an added benefit beyond the workplace: it leads to a more vital, engaged, and fulfilling life.
Q&A with the author; books available for signing.
LINK  https://www.library.hbs.edu/Articles/Books-Baker

———————————

Grid Modernization in Massachusetts: Driving Energy Efficiency Through Residential Scorecards
Tuesday, June 12
4:00-6:00 PM
Fraunhofer CSE, 5 Channel Center Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/grid-modernization-in-ma-driving-energy-efficiency-through-residential-scorecards-tickets-45973320439?aff=eac2

Massachusetts’ Baker-Polito Administration recently announced their intention on becoming the first state in the nation to require residential energy scores. The ‘scorecards’ would be made available to potential homebuyers after January 1, 2021 for any 1 to 4 unit homes publicly listed for sale in the state.

Fraunhofer CSE is hosting a Grid Modernization speaker series, with its second event entitled “Driving Energy Efficiency through Residential Scorecards,” taking place on June 12, 2018, from 4:00 to 6:00pm at 5 Channel Center Street in Boston.
The event kicks off with an introduction to the topic from a Massachusetts State Official (TBA),followed by a presentation by Hans Erhorn, Head of the Department of Energy Efficiency and Indoor Climate at the Fraunhofer Institute of Building Physics (Fraunhofer IBP) in Stuttgart, Germany. Mr. Erhorn worked on the addition of ‘energy performance certificates’ in 2007 to the existing German ‘Energy Saving Ordinance (EnEV)’ implemented in 2002. He currently works with the European Union to develop the next generation of Energy Passes (Cards) for residential and commercial buildings.

After the presentation, an in-depth panel discussion will follow. Panelists will include energy scorecards practitioners from federal, state and municipal organizations.
The topics we want to discuss are:
What challenges and concerns have been raised about home energy scorecards at the city and state level in the U.S.?
What has been the German experience with energy score cards? What are the major lessons learned?
How can lessons learned in the U.S. and Germany be applied to help make the Massachusetts initiative successful?

Featured speaker:
Hans Erhorn, Head of Department of Energy Efficiency and Indoor Climate, Fraunhofer Institute of Building Physics (Fraunhofer IBP), Stuttgart, Germany
Panelists:
Alison Brizius, Director of Climate and Environmental Planning at the City of Boston
Ian Finlayson, Deputy Director, Energy Efficiency Division of Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources
Joan Glickman, Senior Advisor Program Manager, Home Energy Score Program, Building Technologies Office at the U.S. Department of Energy
Carolyn Sarno Goldthwaite, Director of Buildings & Community Solutions at Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships

More participants to be announced soon!
Light hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be served. Please note that space is limited.
http://cse.fraunhofer.org/gridmod-2050

————————————

Cerebral Cinema: Inside Out with Professor Kay Tye
Tuesday, June 12
6:30pm to 9:00pm
MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Join us for the first part in our Cerebral Cinema series, where you'll hear from researchers and then compare real science to depictions on the big screen.

Learn how the brain processes emotions as Kay Tye, MIT Associate Professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, describes her research. Then enjoy Inside Out, the very popular animated film starring Joy, Anger, Fear, Disgust, and Sadness!

This event is presented in conjunction with The Beautiful Brain: The Drawings of Santiago Ramón y Cajal.

Free.

Additional Events in this Series:
July 10, Cerebral Cinema: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Dr. Asaf Marco
August 14, Cerebral Cinema: Inception with Dr. Steve Ramirez

————————————

Experiencing Personal Genomes
Tuesday, June 12
6:30 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
IBM Watson Health, 75 Binney Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bostonchi-hosts-orit-shaer-at-ibm-watson-health-speaking-about-experiencing-personal-genomes-tickets-45957487081

Share BostonCHI hosts Orit Shaer, PhD, Associate Professor of Computer Science and director of the Media Arts and Sciences Program at Wellesley College, at IBM Watson Health speaking about Experiencing Personal Genomes

Recent advances in genetic testing and Internet technologies have led to a dramatic increase in the access non-experts have to their own personal genomic data. Such data are complex and sensitive, involve multiple dimensions of uncertainty, and can have substantial implications on individuals’ behavior, choices, and well-being. Future progress in genetic research and technologies is likely to further increase the availability of interactive personal genomic information to non-experts. This trend raises technological and ethical concerns that are not only of paramount importance for health professionals and policymakers, but are also a pressing issue for human–computer interaction (HCI) research. HCI tools, methods, and practices can help make genomic information more accessible and understandable to non-experts.

In this talk, I will explore the roles HCI can play in helping non-experts contribute, understand, engage with, and share their personal genomic information. I will present tools we developed for non-experts to engage with their information and will argue that the complexity, importance, and personal relevance of this type of information makes understanding, informing, and empowering non-experts’ interaction with personal genomics a key challenge that lies ahead for the HCI community.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Orit Shaer is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and director of the Media Arts and Sciences Program at Wellesley College. She received her PhD from Tufts University. Her research focuses on the design and evaluation of novel human-computer interaction techniques for exploring large amounts of data. She is a recipient of various awards including the prestigious National Science Foundation CAREER Award, Luce Foundation Professorship, Agilent Technologies Research Award, and Google App Engine Education Award.

Evening Schedule
6:30 – 7:00   Networking over pizza and beverages
7:00 – 8:30   Meeting
8:30 – 9:00   CHI Dessert and more networking!

————————————

Brothers of the Gun:  A Memoir of the Syrian War
Tuesday, June 12
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
Harvard Book Store welcomes award-winning artist and writer MOLLY CRABAPPLE—author of Drawing Blood—for a discussion of her new co-authored book Brothers of the Gun: A Memoir of the Syrian War. She will be joined in conversation by journalist JONATHAN GUYER, a fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University.

About Brothers of the Gun
In 2011, Marwan Hisham and his two friends—fellow working-class college students Nael and Tareq—joined the first protests of the Arab Spring in Syria, in response to a recent massacre. Arm-in-arm they marched, poured Coca-Cola into one another’s eyes to blunt the effects of tear gas, ran from the security forces, and cursed the country's president, Bashar al-Assad. It was ecstasy. A long-bottled revolution was finally erupting, and freedom from a brutal dictator seemed, at last, imminent. Five years later, the three young friends were scattered: one now an Islamist revolutionary, another dead at the hands of government soldiers, and the last, Marwan, now a journalist in Turkish exile, trying to find a way back to a homeland reduced to rubble.

Brothers of the Gun is the story of a young man coming of age during the Syrian war, from its inception to the present. Marwan watched from the rooftops as regime warplanes bombed soldiers; as revolutionary activist groups, for a few dreamy days, spray-painted hope on Raqqa; as his friends died or threw in their lot with Islamist fighters. He became a journalist by courageously tweeting out news from a city under siege by ISIS, the Russians, and the Americans all at once. He watched the country that ran through his veins—the country that held his hopes, dreams, and fears—be destroyed in front of him, and eventually joined the relentless stream of refugees risking their lives to escape.

Illustrated with more than eighty ink drawings by Molly Crabapple that bring to life the beauty and chaos, Brothers of the Gun offers a ground-level reflection on the Syrian revolution—and how it bled into international catastrophe and global war. This is a story of pragmatism and idealism, impossible violence and repression, and, even in the midst of war, profound acts of courage, creativity, and hope.

————————————

The Role of AI in Healthcare in the Developing World
Tuesday, June 12
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
CIC (Cambridge Innovation Center), 1 Broadway, Floor 5, Room Havana, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-role-of-ai-in-healthcare-in-the-developing-world-tickets-46096969276

Come learn about the impact of AI on Global Public health and how AI can be used to bridge the healthcare gap between the developed and the developing nations.

Agenda:
Check in begins: 7 pm
Speaker session: 7.30-8.30 pm
Networking: After 8.30 pm

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

——————————
Wednesday, June 13
——————————

Data-Powered Strategies to Counteract Antibiotic Resistance
Wednesday, June 13
8:00 am – 6:00 pm ET
Joseph B. Martin Conference Center, 77 Ave. Louis Pasteur, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/data-powered-strategies-to-counteract-antibiotic-resistance-tickets-44235508597

The emergence of antibiotic resistance in bacterial pathogens is a considerable threat to the way we practice medicine. Patients currently experience significant delays in diagnosing drug resistance, and by the time the resistance is recognized patients may have already suffered considerable disability. Even when it is recognized often the therapies that clinicians can offer are much more limited or have unfavorable side effect profiles.

This symposium brings together thought leaders from academic to industry pursuing innovative strategies driven by large scale data such as genomics, transcriptomics, phenomics, health-services databases or internet and social media sources. Their common goals are the prevision use and development of antibiotics to counter drug resistance. The day is organized into three main thematic areas focusing on diagnostics, big data, and therapeutics.

—————————————

From Good Idea to Great Business: Standing out, Innovating, and Making It Big in the Clean Energy Revolution
Wednesday, June 13
5 PM - 7 PM
The Kinsale Irish Pub & Restaurant, 2 Center Plaza, Boston
RSVP at https://members.e2.org/ext/jsp/controller?id=9844782680&sv=NE_MassCEC_Event&reply=yes

Nine out of ten startups fail. Hear from two gurus who know first-hand what the one in ten do to succeed. Join E2 New England as we learn from Stephen Pike - CEO of the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) - and David Miller - E2 New England Chapter Director and Co-Founder and Managing Director of Clean Energy Ventures - what it takes to think big, stand out, and thrive in the current clean energy revolution. This will serve as a unique opportunity to network with respected clean energy investors and entrepreneurs over good food, good company, and good ideas.

If you have any questions about this event, please email Noah Dubin at noah at e2.org

—————————————

Mass Innovation Nights 111
Wednesday, June 13
6pm - 8:30pm
Thelma D. Burns Building, 575 Warren Street, Boston
RSVP at http://mass.innovationnights.com/node/add/rsvp

Mass Innovation Nights will be returning to Greater Grove Hall for the second time! African and African American tech founders will showcase twelve products at the ABCD's Thelma D. Burns buildingon June 13th from 6-8:30pm!

Check out the new PRODUCTS and
VOTE for your favorites - click on the words VOTE HERE (found on this page to the immediate left) and once on the product voting page, click LOVE IT (only four times)!
RSVP to attend the event on Wednesday June 13th (free to attend and open to all)
See who else is planning on attending (click the ATTENDEES tab)
Help spread the word - blog, tweet (using the #MIN111 hashtag), like and post!
Support local innovation -- network and have fun at the same time!
Don't miss it -- WEDNESDAY,  June 13th 6pm-8:30pm for Mass Innovation Nights #111!

Follow us on Instagram! @MassInnovationNights

—————————————

Because I Come from a Crazy Family
Wednesday June 13
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Edward Hallowell
From the bestselling author of the classic book on ADD, Driven to Distraction, a memoir of the strange upbringing that shaped Dr. Edward M. Hallowell’s celebrated career.

—————————
Thursday, June 14
—————————

Boston TechJam
Thursday, June 14
4:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Boston City Hall Plaza, 1 City Hall Square, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-techjam-tickets-44381643691
Cost:  $22

Massachusetts has the world’s greatest concentration of entrepreneurs, emerging and leading tech companies, top-tier academic institutions and students, world-class venture capitalists, incubators, and an eco-system of supporting service providers. There is no better place on earth to launch and scale innovative ideas that tackle the toughest challenges. We’re about real and meaningful innovations that change the world. Boston TechJam is a time when we all come together -from every corner of our innovation economy- to celebrate and accelerate our leading position. It’s a collaboration between local tech companies, leading industry groups, the City of Boston, and you.

Celebrating our 6th year on June 14th, 2018 we are excited to see thousands of members of the community descend on City Hall Plaza once again!

————————————

CONSCIOUS CAPITALISM
Thursday, June 14
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Venture Cafe at Cambridge Innovation Center, 5th floor, 1 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ef7ygt7sf3883d2f&llr=pwjaircab

If you're frustrated with the current negative political climate, this workshop will help you see that your business can create the change you want to see in the world. Come and learn about a better, more sustainable, and more effective way of building your business. See how you can upgrade your reason for being in business (whatever your business is) to have a positive impact on the world. Hear how other businesses create value not only for their shareholders but also for their employees, customers, vendors, the community and the environment. Through a combination of presentation and small group discussions, Bob Scoville will lead an engaging and thought-provoking overview to help you evolve your business.

————————————

Summer EnergyBar @ Greentown Labs
Thursday, June 14
5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Greentown Labs, 444 Somerville Avenue, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/summer-energybar-greentown-labs-tickets-46084286341

Partners, friends, and cleantech champions, please join us for a summer edition of our EnergyBar networking event, co-hosted and sponsored by Xylem! Come network with your fellow cleantech and energy peers and enjoy a beverage on our roof deck!

Event Agenda:
5:30-6:00pm -- Sign-in/Registration
6:30-6:40pm -- Welcoming Remarks from Greentown Labs & Xylem
6:40-8:30pm -- Celebration & Networking

About EnergyBar!
EnergyBar is Greentown Labs' networking event devoted to helping people in clean technology meet and discuss innovations in energy technology. Entrepreneurs, investors, students, and ‘friends of cleantech,’ are invited to attend, meet colleagues, and expand our growing regional clean technology community.
Our attendees typically span a variety of disciplines within energy, efficiency, and renewables. In general, if you're looking for a job in cleantech or energy, trying to expand your network, or perhaps thinking about starting your own energy-related company this is the event for you. Expect to have conversations about issues facing advanced and renewable energy technologies and ways to solve our most pressing energy problems.
Light appetizers and drinks will be served starting at 5:30 pm. Suggested dress is shop floor casual. Parking is incredibly limited at Greentown Labs and we encourage attendees to consider taking advantage of public transportation. Hope to see you there!

————————————

Not That Bad
Thursday June 14
6:00 pm
Congregation Kehillath Israel, 384 Harvard Street, Brookline
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roxane-gay-614-tickets-45443946066
Cost:  $25

Roxane Gay is editor of the new anthology Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture and author of the bestselling Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body; attendees select a free paperback copy of either book with their ticket purchase. Please read the information at the link carefully before placing your order.

————————————

authors at MIT: Terri Favro, Generation Robot
Thursday, June 14
6:00pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Join the MIT Press Bookstore in welcoming Terri Favro, author of Generation Robot, to the store for a reading and discussion.

Generation Robot covers a century of science fiction, fact and, speculation—from the 1950 publication of Isaac Asimov’s seminal robot masterpiece, I, Robot, to the 2050 Singularity when artificial and human intelligence are predicted to merge. Beginning with a childhood informed by pop-culture robots in movies, in comic books, and on TV in the 1960s to adulthood where the possibilities of self-driving cars and virtual reality are daily conversation, Terri Favro offers a unique perspective on how our relationship with robotics and futuristic technologies has shifted over time.

—————————————

Evolutions:  Fifteen Myths That Explain Our World
Thursday, June 14
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes renowned Bar Ilan University professor and author OREN HARMAN for a discussion of his latest book, Evolutions: Fifteen Myths That Explain Our World.

About Evolutions
We no longer think, like the ancient Chinese did, that the world was hatched from an egg, or, like the Maori, that it came from the tearing-apart of a love embrace. The Greeks told of a tempestuous Hera and a cunning Zeus, but we now use genes and natural selection to explain fear and desire, and physics to demystify the workings of the universe.
Science is an astounding achievement, but are we really any wiser than the ancients? Has science revealed the secrets of fate and immortality? Has it provided protection from jealousy or love? There are those who believe that science has replaced faith, but must it also be a death knell for mythology?

Evolutions brings to life the latest scientific thinking on the birth of the universe and the solar system, the journey from a single cell all the way to our human minds. Reawakening our sense of wonder and terror at the world around us and within us, Oren Harman uses modern science to create new and original mythologies. Here are the earth and the moon presenting a cosmological view of motherhood, a panicking mitochondrion introducing sex and death to the world, the loneliness of consciousness emerging from the memory of an octopus, and the birth of language in evolution summoning humankind’s struggle with truth. Science may not solve our existential puzzles, but like the age-old legends, its magical discoveries can help us continue the never-ending search.

——————————

Red Pill/Blue Pill: How the Brain Incorporates Experience to Guide Our Actions
Thursday, June 14
7 pm
Aeronaut Brewing, 14 Tyler Street, Somerville

Bernado Sabatini

More information at http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/science-by-the-pint/

—————————————————
Friday, June 15 - Saturday, June 16
—————————————————

Stand Up Boston: June 15-16
MIT Stata Center, R&D Commons 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

Stand Up Boston is a free conference dedicated to working with our local community in leveraging information technology and machine learning to combat sexual harassment. It is hosted by the MIT Alumni Association, MIT Critical Data, the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and Harvard University’s Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response. We will be hosting a series of technical and non-technical workshops centered on the theme Inspiring Bystanders to Act. We challenge participants to produce technical and non-technical work that enables greater conversations around bystander intervention and sexual harassment, and lay the foundation for future work. We will also be featuring speakers including Pierre Berastain (Director of the Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response at Harvard University) as well as bystander intervention training by the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center.

————————
Friday, June 15
————————

Decarbonizing the Transportation Sector in New England
Friday, June 15
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
RSVP to attend in person at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/decarbonizing-the-transportation-sector-in-new-england-emerging-state-visions-pathways-policies-tickets-44803715118?utm_campaign=2nd+announce+6%2F15%2F18+RT&utm_medium=email&utm_source=2nd+Announce+-+6%2F15+Roundtable+-+Decarbonizing+Transportation+in+NE
Cost:  $40 - $80
RSVP for live-streaming at https://signup.clickstreamtv.net/event/raab/events/neer/?utm_source=2nd+Announce+-+6%2F15+Roundtable+-+Decarbonizing+Transportation+in+NE&utm_campaign=2nd+announce+6%2F15%2F18+RT&utm_medium=email
Cost:

Decarbonization of transportation is essential to meeting New England's climate goals, but progress in this sector currently lags behind the electricity and building sectors. Since electrification is recognized as a key strategy for decarbonizing transportation, this topic falls squarely within the wheelhouse of our Electricity Restructuring Roundtable.

This topic is also particularly timely, as New England states consider major policy options, including a RGGI-like cap-and-trade system for transportation fuels. Complicating matters further, is the Trump administration's recently-announced intention to roll back the 2025 54.5 miles per gallon vehicle fuel efficiency standards. Meanwhile, depending on how they are implemented, advances in shared mobility services and the rapid development of autonomous vehicles could either greatly enhance or severely undercut our efforts to decarbonize the transportation sector.

Join us as we explore the emerging state visions and the pathways, policies & best practices for decarbonizing the transportation sector in New England.

Emerging State Visions

We are honored to welcome as keynote speakers the leaders responsible for formulating decarbonization strategies for the transportation sector in New England's two largest states.
Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack, Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Commissioner Robert Klee, Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection

Pathways, Policies, & Best Practices

We have assembled a first-rate panel of experts and practitioners to discuss the major pathways, policies, and best practices for decarbonizing the transportation sector in New England. This panel will include presentations on important national and regional modeling and analysis, as well as input from leaders in the utility and shared mobility sectors and from a representative of Québec.
Ben Haley, Co-Founder of Evolved Energy and formerly with E3, co-authored the Obama Administration's major study, U.S. Pathways to Deep Decarbonization, as well as a just-released study on Deep Decarbonization in the Northeast.
John Heywood, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at MIT and an expert on automotive technology, co-authored MIT's study, On The Road to 2050, as well as its current study,  Mobility of the Future.
Corey Ershow, Transportation Policy Manager for the Eastern U.S. at Lyft, will share Lyft's vision of the role that shared mobility and autonomous vehicles will play in decarbonizing the transportation sectors while improving the livability of our cities and states.
Évangéline Lévesque, Executive Director of Sustainable Transport and Electrification Policies, Québec Ministry of Transportation, will discuss Québec's ambitious transportation electrification strategy, largely funded by auction proceeds from its cap-and-trade program with California - which includes transportation fuels.
Terence Sobolewski, Chief Customer Officer of National Grid USA, will discuss Grid's electrification interests, insights, and strategies in three Northeastern states.

———————————

Gun Violence Prevention Demo Day
Friday, June 15
2:00 PM – 4:30 PM EDT
MGH Simches Research Center, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gun-violence-prevention-demo-day-tickets-45441757520

Join CAMTech as teams pitch solutions with the potential to curb the gun violence epidemic and improve the lives of survivors.
During the Gun Violence Prevention Demo Day, all teams from the Gun Violence Prevention Hack-a-thon will have the opportunity to compete for the $10K grand prize and six months of acceleration support through the CAMTech Accelerator Program (CAP).

———————————

Crashing the Party: From the Bernie Sanders Campaign to a Progressive Movement
Friday, June 15
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome HEATHER GAUTNEY—Bernie Sanders campaign advisor and Fordham University associate professor—for a discussion of her latest book, Crashing the Party: From the Bernie Sanders Campaign to a Progressive Movement. She will be joined by Massachusetts State Representative MIKE CONNOLLY.

About Crashing the Party
Senator Bernie Sanders shocked the political establishment by winning 13 million votes and a majority of young voters in the 2016 Democratic primary. He emerged from the contest against Hillary Clinton as the most popular politician in the US, despite being a 75-year-old self-professed “democratic socialist.” What lessons can be drawn from this surprising but—in the end—losing campaign?

Vermont resident Heather Gautney was a legislative fellow in Sanders’s Washington office and researcher and organizer for his presidential campaign. The author and editor of several books on social movements and American politics, she brings her academic expertise and left politics to bear on the scenes and conflicts she witnessed during the campaign. In reviewing what enabled Sanders to reach out to an unprecedented number of people with a socialist message—and what stalled his progress and radical punch—she draws lessons about the prospects and perils of building a leftist movement in the United States. Gautney’s reflections on the role that race and class played in this election cycle and analysis of where Democrats stand following Trump’s victory will serve as a useful starting point for many newly aware of the limitations of the Democratic party and the challenges ahead.

—————————
Saturday, June 16
—————————

Health Communication in the Decade Ahead - Conference & Networking Event
Saturday, June 16
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
BU, 1 Silber Way -9th floor, Metcalf Trustees Ballroom, Boston
RSVP https://www.eventbrite.com/e/health-communication-in-the-decade-ahead-tickets-44612377823
Register by: 6/10/2018
Cost:  35.00

What forces and trends will shape the work of health communication leaders in the next 10 years...and beyond? What can we imagine the future to hold, and how will we prepare tomorrow's leaders?

Share your ideas and vision, and network with professional health communicators, alumni, journalists, faculty, students and special guests at this one-day event celebrating a decade of leadership in professional health communication studies at Boston University.

Networking breakfast and lunch included.

MORNING KEYNOTE:
Jonathan Peck, President, Sr. Futurist, Institute for Alternative Futures.
"Health Communication Futures, New Media & Messages"
An interactive discussion using forecasts from multiple scenario-based projects from 2030 to 2057 to help us imagine how and what we will communicate in different futures -- and how we might use new media shaped by the convergence of artificial intelligence and neuroscience.

Christie Hager, Senior Fellow, Health Policy, UMass Medical School; Public Health Lawyer; Former HHS Regional Director for New England.
"Breaking Through the Static: What the ACA Rollout Taught Us About Communicating in Uncertain Times"
Ms. Hager, a public health lawyer, was on the frontlines at the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services as President Obama's appointee to lead the New England Region during the ACA rollout. She offers insights and lessons for professional health communicators on how to juggle internal challenges and public-facing communication in times of uncertainty.

AFTERNOON KEYNOTE:
Jonathan Woodson, MD, Director, BU Institute for Health System Innovation & Policy; Professor of Surgery, School of Medicine; Professor Health Law, Policy & Management, School of Public Health; Professor in Management, Questrom School of Business; Former Asst. Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Defense from 2010-2016.
"Innovation and Leadership in 21st Century Health Care"
Biotechnology. Health technology. Intelligent health system designs. Digital health tools. Dr. Jonathan Woodson, vascular surgeon, MED professor and former Asst. Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs looks at these, and other dynamic forces shaping and disrupting the front lines of health care, and what they mean for 21st Century health communication leaders.

Dr. Pauline Hamel, Associate Clinical Professor, Bouve' College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University; Former Director Clinical Education.
"Mentoring Through Change -- Why it Matters"
Once an afterthought of health care, professional health communication is now a dynamic -- and still emergent -- discipline. In a future shaped by DIY health decisions, risk and uncertainties, Dr. Hamel explores why now is the time to mentor our next generation of health communicators to lead with confidence.

Jeff DelViscio, Director, Multimedia & Creative STAT News
"The Power of Video in Health and Science Storytelling"
Visual storytelling has the power to engage, inspire, and explain health and science in a way that no other medium can. STAT’s Jeff DelViscio shows us how he and STAT journalists bring complex topics – like climate change – to life through carefully crafted and creative multimedia. Learn his pro tips, and hear why health and science news is hotter than ever.

John R. Carroll, BU Journalism Professor, Media Analyst, NPR's Here & Now, WBUR's Radio Boston.
"Brave News World: Are the Media Evolving or Dissolving?"
Donald Trump and digital technology have taken the media -- from news and advertising to social -- through the looking glass. Boston University journalism professor John R. Carroll leads a guided tour down the rabbit hole.

Contact Name	Leigh Curtin-Wilding
Phone  617-353-2975
Contact Email  metmshc at bu.edu

———————————

Unnatural Selection
WHEN  Saturday, June 16, 2018, 2 – 3 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Haller Hall, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Harvard Museum of Natural History
SPEAKER(S)  Katrina van Grouw
TICKET INFO  Free with museum admission
DETAILS  When Charles Darwin considered how best to introduce his controversial new theory of evolution to the general public, he chose to liken it to the selective breeding of domesticated animals, changed by the hand of man. In her new book, Unnatural Selection, marking the 150th anniversary of Darwin’s great work on domesticated animals, The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication, Katrina van Grouw explains why this analogy was uncannily appropriate. Artificial selection is, in fact, more than just an analogy for natural selection–it is the perfect example of evolution in action.
Katrina van Grouw, author of The Unfeathered Bird (Princeton University Press), inhabits that no-man’s land midway between art and science. She holds degrees in fine art and natural history illustration, and is a former curator of ornithological collections at a major national museum. She’s a self-taught scientist with a passion for evolutionary biology and its history.
Lecture and book signing.
Free with museum admision.
LINK  https://hmnh.harvard.edu/event/unnatural-selection

————————————

7th Annual Hyper-Local Craft Brewfest
Saturday, June 16
2:30-5:30 PM and 6:30-9:30 PM
University Park, Central Square, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/7th-annual-hyper-local-craft-brewfest-tickets-44348926834
Cost:  $40.00

Our Brewfest will gather nearly one thousand local craft brew fans to celebrate together with unlimited drink samples and fun!

Join us for SBN's Hyper-Local Craft Brewfest on Saturday, June 16th, (2:30-5:30 PM and 6:30-9:30 PM). SBN is excited about our new location in Central Square Cambridge, home of the Taste of Cambridge in University Park, near MIT, 38 SIdney Street. Tickets are $40.00 for general admission and $75.00 for a pair, $65 for VIP, and door sales are $50.00. Our Brewfest will gather nearly one thousand local craft brew fans to celebrate together with dozens of vendors over one day in two sessions, of unlimited drink samples, food, and fun!

Wonder what it takes for a drink to be considered “Hyper-Local?” Not only are the beers, ciders, meads, and artisanal beverages at our festival made by local producers (from New England), they’re local from the start - created with ingredients grown, made, or harvested in New England. Past examples include brews made with local hops, apples, cranberries, grapes and even oysters!

All two of our sessions will provide attendees with the opportunity to chat with the brewers, learn more about making small batches and homebrewing, hear from experts, and taste a selection of local brews, from local makers. In addition, our Friday night session will feature a special Beer on Cask Tasting coordinated by Randy Baril, former Head Cellarman of NERAX (the New England Real Ale eXhibition) and featured brewers. Try unfiltered and unpasteurized beer with no nitrogen or carbon dioxide added!

The Hyper-Local Craft Brewfest is an annual tasting fundraiser for the Boston Local Food Program and is presented by Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN). This Brewfest highlights and promotes local brewers of beer, newly established breweries, cider & mead, artisan beverage makers, and local food vendors. SBN’s definition of local starts in Massachusetts and encompasses all of New England.

Come enjoy unlimited beverage tastings, discover new favorites, socialize with other brew fans, and network with dozens of local brewer, vendors, and local food producers, all while supporting a local, fair, and green economy! For more information, call 617-395-7680 or email localcraftbrew at sbnmass.org. Get your tickets at hyperlocalbrew.eventbrite.com.

What’s Included for Festival Attendees?
Cask-conditioned beer from selected local brewers
Small batches and special brews from selected vendors on all sessions
Unlimited tastings from our participating brewers, craft breweries, cideries, meaderies, artisan beverage vendors
Complimentary local food samples and serving sizes for sale for only $6 or less
Free home brewing demos, lectures, and instructions from local homebrew clubs
Live music and entertainment
Festival Guide with listing of all vendors
Compostable tasting cup and utensils

Phone Number:  617-395-7680

———————————

TEDxBeaconStreet Salon @ Franklin Park Zoo
Saturday, June 16
5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Franklin Park Zoo, Tropical Forest Building, 1 Franklin Park Road, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tedxbeaconstreet-salon-franklin-park-zoo-registration-45627803990
Cost:  $25 – $100

Join us on June 16th for our next TEDxBeaconStreet Salon where our speakers will be giving their talks in the Tapir Exhibit at the Franklin Park Zoo. All talks from the Tapir Exhibit will be simulcasted to the gorillas across the hall where you can watch their reactions to the talks as they listen.

Schedule:
5:00 - 6:30 pm | Checkin; check out exhibits
6:30 - 7:30 pm | Talks in Tapir Exhibit (Note: these talks will be recorded.)
7:30 - 8:30 pm | Ideas in Action Program (Note: this will not be recorded.)

Opening Speaker
George Church, the Leonardo DaVinci of our time, is a leading pioneer of genetic science. Here's Ben Mezrich's talk about Church's plan to bring back woolly mammoths from our stage last year; watch it here. He will be joining us to speak from inside the Tapir cage.

...And Our Closing Speaker
Abby is a fourteen year old Tapir, who has spent the last nine months preparing for this event. She will be joined alongside her five month old daughter, Ischel.

On-site Registration:
Each of the two Zoo Entrances
Entrance to Tropical Forest Exhibit

Dinner + Drink Tickets:
Boxed dinners + drink tickets included with registration

—————————
Monday, June 18
—————————

The Soul of America:  The Battle for Our Better Angels
Monday, June 18
6:00 PM (Doors at 5:30)
Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/jon_meacham/
Cost:  $5 - $30.50 (online only, book included)

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome Pulitzer Prize–winning author and presidential historian JON MEACHAM for a discussion of his latest book, The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels.
About The Soul of America

Our current climate of partisan fury is not new, and in The Soul of America Meacham shows us how what Abraham Lincoln called the “better angels of our nature” have repeatedly won the day. Painting surprising portraits of Lincoln and other presidents, including Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, and Lyndon B. Johnson, and illuminating the courage of such influential citizen activists as Martin Luther King, Jr., early suffragettes Alice Paul and Carrie Chapman Catt, civil rights pioneers Rosa Parks and John Lewis, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and Army-McCarthy hearings lawyer Joseph N. Welch, Meacham brings vividly to life turning points in American history.
Meacham writes about the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the birth of the Lost Cause; the backlash against immigrants in the First World War and the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s; the fight for women’s rights; the demagoguery of Huey Long and Father Coughlin and the isolationist work of America First in the years before World War II; the anti-Communist witch-hunts led by Senator Joseph McCarthy; and Lyndon Johnson’s crusade against Jim Crow. Each of these dramatic hours in our national life have been shaped by the contest to lead the country to look forward rather than back, to assert hope over fear—a struggle that continues even now.

While the American story has not always—or even often—been heroic, we have been sustained by a belief in progress even in the gloomiest of times. In this inspiring book, Meacham reassures us, “The good news is that we have come through such darkness before”—as, time and again, Lincoln’s better angels have found a way to prevail.

———————————

Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
Monday, June 18
7:30 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes scientist, musician, writer, and VR pioneer JARON LANIER for a discussion of his latest book, Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

About Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
You might have trouble imagining life without your social media accounts, but virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier insists that we’re better off without them. In his important book, Lanier, who participates in no social media, offers powerful and personal reasons for all of us to leave these dangerous online platforms.
Lanier’s reasons for freeing ourselves from social media’s poisonous grip include its tendency to bring out the worst in us, to make politics terrifying, to trick us with illusions of popularity and success, to twist our relationship with the truth, to disconnect us from other people even as we are more “connected” than ever, to rob us of our free will with relentless targeted ads. How can we remain autonomous in a world where we are under continual surveillance and are constantly being prodded by algorithms run by some of the richest corporations in history that have no way of making money other than being paid to manipulate our behavior? How could the benefits of social media possibly outweigh the catastrophic losses to our personal dignity, happiness, and freedom? Lanier remains a tech optimist, so while demonstrating the evil that rules social media business models today, he also envisions a humanistic setting for social networking that can direct us toward a richer and fuller way of living and connecting with our world.

—————————
Tuesday, June 19
—————————

Getting to the Point with Congressman Joe Kennedy III
Tuesday, June 19
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM EDT
Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, Columbia Point, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-to-the-point-with-congressman-joe-kennedy-iii-tickets-44984155821

Congressman Joe Kennedy III will visit the Institute for a wide-ranging conversation on issues facing our communities today. Congressman Kennedy is in his third term representing the Fourth District of Massachusetts in Congress. He is a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, where he focuses on issues like mental health, energy costs, manufacturing, and STEM education.
A breakfast will precede the program.

————————————

Talks at 12 - What to Eat: The Emerging Field of Culinary Medicine
WHEN  Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 12 – 1pm
WHERE  Harvard Medical School Armenise Amphitheater, 210 Longwood Avenue, Boston
TOPICS	Education, GI/Nutrition, Wellness/Worklife
EVENT TYPES  Faculty Talk
DEPARTMENT/OFFICE  Office of Communications and External Relations
LOCATION  Harvard Medical School
SEMINAR SERIES LIST  Talks at 12
RSVP REQUIRED  No
DETAILS	  Featured speaker: Ran Polak (HMS/Spaulding)

————————————

ELM Action Fund Political, Polling, and Policy Briefing
Tuesday, June 19
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
Massachusetts Teachers Association, 20 Ashburton Place, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elm-action-fund-political-polling-and-policy-briefing-tickets-46328737501

Who should attend?
Legislators who are running for re-election, candidates for legislature, and their campaign and
policy team members are welcome. The ELM Action Fund is a non-partisan organization and we
welcome all candidates who want to support the environment. The event is not open to the press or
the general public.
Why should you attend?
With the environment under assault in Washington, we know that Massachusetts voters are
concerned about the environment and want politicians to lead on these issues. In our latest poll,
88% of voters think the environment is important in their vote. Of that 88%, 57% said it's very
important.
There are 600,152 environmental voters in Massachusetts. We expect more than 400,000 of them to
vote in 2018. Our polling shows that these environmental voters are ready to vote, donate, and
volunteer for candidates who support environmental progress.
In 60 minutes we will:
Provide a short overview of how to receive our endorsement and the support of our PAC, IE PAC, and 501C4
Share data about environmental voters and provide an individualized report including how many are in your district and compelling talking points to persuade and mobilize them
Present a short summary of polling on how all Massachusetts voters feel about energy, transportation, and other environmental issues
Present a brief review of the state's key environmental policy issues
Provide you with a copy of our new 2018-2019 Legislative Candidate Policy Briefing bookExplain the latest trends in using social media to communicate your support for the environment
Provide an overview of our Legislative Scorecard, including our unique scoring criteria
This event is free. Materials, light appetizers, and soft drinks will be provided.

————————————

The Bone and Sinew of the Land:  America's Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

This event is free; no tickets are required.
Harvard Book Store and the Hutchins Center for African & African American Research welcome award-winning historian ANNA-LISA COX for a discussion of her latest book, The Bone and Sinew of the Land: America's Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality.

About The Bone and Sinew of the Land
The American frontier is one of our most cherished and enduring national images. We think of the early pioneers who settled the wilderness as courageous, independent—and white.

This version of history is simply wrong. Starting in our nation's earliest years, thousands of free African Americans were building hundreds of settlements in the Northwest Territory, a territory that banned slavery and gave equal voting rights to all men. This groundbreaking work of research reveals the lost history of the nation's first Great Migration. Though forgotten today, these pioneers were a matter of national importance at the time; their mere existence leading to fierce political movements and battles that tore families and communities apart long before the Civil War erupted.

The Bone and Sinew of the Land is a story with its roots in the ideals of the American Revolution, a story of courageous pioneers transformed by the belief that all men are created equal, seeking a brighter future on the American frontier.

————————————

Right Whales, Right Gear: Finding New Ways to Fish that Avoid Entanglements
Tuesday, June 19
7pm
NE Aquarium, Simons IMAX Theatre, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at http://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107627&view=Detail

Panel discussion with John Haviland, South Shore Lobster Fishermen’s Association; Laurens Howle, Duke University; Amy Knowlton, Senior Scientist, Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium; and Kristan Porter, President, Maine Lobstermen’s Association

Moderated by Tim Werner, Senior Scientist, Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium and Director, Consortium for Wildlife Bycatch Reduction

Fishing is an important economic mainstay of New England and part of its cultural heritage. North Atlantic right whales are a critical natural component of the region’s coastal waters. Where the two meet, entanglements happen, mainly as whales become wrapped in buoy ropes used to locate and haul pots resting on the seafloor. Two unlikely bedfellows—fishermen and research scientists—are working collaboratively to save whales and pot fisheries alike, studying solutions that include novel designs for ropes that are strong enough for fishing but weak enough for right whales to release themselves. Come listen to members of an expert panel discuss their perspectives on right whale entanglements and ideas for solving them.

————————————

Self Employment Survival Guide
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Harvard Coop, 1400 Mass Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jeanne-yocum-self-employment-survival-guide-tickets-45815569602

Jeanne Yocum
Anyone who opts for self-employment quickly learns that succeeding as your own boss is no walk in the park. While professional freedom has many, many joys, it also involves significant risks. If you're considering self-employment, or you're already self-employed, The Self-Employment Survival Guide: Proven Strategies to Succeed as Your Own Boss alerts you to the challenges involved and provides proven strategies for surmounting these obstacles and succeeding. You'll also learn what you need to put in place before taking the leap to being your own boss to help assure your success. Working for yourself offers personal freedoms and rewards, but the road can curve or travel uphill at times. Here, Jeanne Yocum shares eight key behaviors that impede success and provides proven solutions for the various obstacles that might cross your path, including unreasonable client demands, slow payers, unexpected client defections, daily schedules, health and financial planning, and the feelings of isolation that can sometimes accompany working on your own. Unlike many books that provide only a rose-colored view of self-employment, this book gives a full, realistic view of what being your own boss is actually like. By learning about the ups and downs that come with being in charge of your own livelihood, you will be better able to handle the demands of self-employment and succeed on your own terms.

About the author
Jeanne Yocum has been self-employed as a public relations consultant and ghostwriter since 1989. She is the co-author of New Product Launch: 10 Proven Strategies and Ban the Humorous Bazooka and Other Roadblocks and Speed Bumps Along the Innovation Highway. She has also ghostwritten six other business books. Her blog, www.succeedinginsmallbusiness, provides advice for small business owners.Jeanne Yocum lives in Durham, NC, with her husband, Robert Ickrath, and a puggle named Molly.

————————————

Rev. Mariama White-Hammond on Climate Justice: What It Requires of Us All
Tuesday, June 19
7:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Beacon Hill Friends House, 8 Chestnut Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rev-mariama-white-hammond-on-climate-justice-what-it-requires-of-us-all-tickets-46120476587

Climate Justice: What It Requires Of Us All
Putting Equity At the Center Of Our Movement
Join us at the Beacon Hill Friends House on the evening of Tuesday, June 19, to hear the Reverend Mariama White-Hammond speak about climate justice -- the history of the term, what it requires us of all, and concrete suggestions for how we can all shift in a more just direction as we work to act on climate.
Rev. Mariama White-Hammond serves as the Minister for Ecological Justice at Bethel AME Church in Boston and as a fellow with the Green Justice Coalition, a partnership of environmental justice groups. Rev. Mariama is committed to engaging the faith community on social justice issues, and speaks throughout the country and serves on a number of boards and committees including the New England Grassroots Environmental Fund, Union Capital Boston and the Moral Movement Massachusetts. In 2017 she was the MC for both the Boston Women’s March and the Boston People’s Climate Mobilization. Rev. Mariama has received numerous awards including the Barr Fellowship, the Celtics Heroes Among Us, and the Boston NAACP Image Award.

—————————————

Art in AR: Boston Cyberarts and Hoverlay
Tuesday, June 19
7:30 PM to 10:30 PM
The Westin Boston Waterfront, 425 Summer Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston-Virtual-Reality/events/251044656/

Details
SCHEDULE:
7:30 pm - Doors open, demos begin, snacks are served.
8:00 pm -Announcements and Community information
8:10 PM - George Fifeld of Boston Cyberarts
8:40 PM - Nicolas Robbe and Milan Kovacev, of Hoverlay
8:40 PM - 10:15 Demofest!!
10:30 - After party at

BOSTON CYBERARTS
George Fifield, Director of Boston Cyberarts, will discuss the four augmented reality art exhibitions that Boston Cyberarts curated and organized in the last year. The Augmented Landscape was an exhibition of eight very large AR sculptures inspired by National Park Service’s Salem Maritime National Historic Site in Salem. ARLines of the City, curated by Brazilian artist/curator Giovanna Casimiro, was a vibrant Brazilian public art project at 10 sites within the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy. Then the Boston Cyberarts Gallery hosted the exhibit Now You See It… that included works by five prominent and pioneering augmented reality artists. Finally Boston Cyberarts is assisting the Newton Arts Festival in a celebration of its 13 villages with Skywrite Newton, an AR skywriting project over all 13 villages of Newton.

HOVERLAY
Creating my own AR? Yes, you can
AR has the potential to provide new ways to connect with audiences, and inform, delight and drive action. Yet, the skills required to design, build and share AR content, are daunting to most.
Nicolas Robbe and Milan Kovacev, founders of Hoverlay, will be talking about how non-engineers, artists, creators, event organizers, can create their own AR channel and start ripping the benefits of AR today.

************
——————
Opportunity
----------------
************

Announcing Destination 2040: The next long-range transportation plan for the Boston region

How would you improve the Boston region’s transportation system? That’s the question at the heart of the MPO’s preparations for Destination 2040, which the MPO expects to adopt in the spring of 2019.

Every four years, the MPO identifies the system’s strengths and weaknesses; forecasts changes in population, employment, and land use; and creates a plan to address existing and future mobility needs. The resulting long-range transportation plan (LRTP) allocates funding for major projects in the Boston region and guides the MPO’s funding of capital investment programs and studies.

Use the new Destination 2040 website at http://ctps.org/lrtp-dev to explore the state of the system; learn how the MPO will identify needs, revisit its vision and goals, and prioritize its investments; and share your own interests, concerns, and ideas.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

Solar map of Cambridge, MA
http://www.mapdwell.com/en/cambridge

———————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
MIT Energy Club:  http://mitenergyclub.org/
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.