[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - June 17, 2018

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jun 17 09:54:42 PDT 2018

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

—————————
Monday, June 18
—————————

5:45  Blockchain, A.I. & the Future of Music
6pm  The Soul of America:  The Battle for Our Better Angels
6pm  Boston Pitch 3DHEALS
7:30pm  Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now

—————————
Tuesday, June 19
—————————

8am  Getting to the Point with Congressman Joe Kennedy III
9am  The 2018 Human Excellence Awards: Featuring Bunker Roy, Barefoot College
12pm  Talks at 12 - What to Eat: The Emerging Field of Culinary Medicine
5pm  ELM Action Fund Political, Polling, and Policy Briefing
5pm  Dealing with North Korea: Insights from U.S. Negotiators
5:30pm  Mellon School Public Lecture: Luke Menand, "Writers and Their Publics”
7pm  The Bone and Sinew of the Land:  America's Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality
7pm  Right Whales, Right Gear: Finding New Ways to Fish that Avoid Entanglements
7pm  When the Wind Blows:  Predicting How Hurricanes Change with Climate
7pm  Self Employment Survival Guide
7pm  How Do We Protect Our Community as the Climate Changes?
7:30pm  Rev. Mariama White-Hammond on Climate Justice: What It Requires of Us All
7:30pm  Art in AR: Boston Cyberarts and Hoverlay

——————————
Wednesday June 20
——————————

10am  Bitter Pills: The Global War on Counterfeit Drugs
12pm  Cottage Food Laws: Adequately Addressing Food Safety and Economic Opportunity?
2pm  Efficacy and Mechanisms of High-intensity Training following Stroke or Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
5:30pm  Better Future Project National Campus Fossil Fuel Divestment - Input Call #2
6pm  Defining Possible: Lessons from Immigrant Entrepreneurs
6pm  State of Innovation: Deep Tech
6:30pm  Massachusetts and Immigration: A panel on immigration policy and our values
6:30pm  World Refugee Day Panel: Supporting and Investing in Refugees
7pm  Cambridge Forum: “From Trump to the Pope: Inside the Mind of a Political Cartoonist” with Ted Rall presenting Francis, The People's Pope
7pm  Call Me American
7pm  Elizabeth Garber In Conversation with Richard Hoffman: Exploring Memory

—————————
Thursday, June 21
—————————

12:30pm  MIT AI and Media Lab Tour
3pm  EurekaFest 2018
5pm  Summer Solstice Celebration 2018
6pm  authors at mit: Amaranth Borsuk, "The Book”
7pm  Dinner in Camelot:  The Night America's Greatest Scientists, Writers, and Scholars Partied at the Kennedy White House
7pm  Are Sharks Smart? Exploring the Brain of Sharks and Their Relatives
7pm  Drones: Where Are We Now, Where Are We Headed?
7:15pm  Screening of documentary film “Ritoma"
7:30pm  Dividing Lines: Why Is Internet Access Still A Luxury In America?

————————
Friday, June 22
————————

8am  EBC Climate Change Program: Protecting Boston – The Boston Harbor Barrier Study
6pm  City of Boston’s Celebration of Summer V: Donna Summer Roller Disco Party on City Hall Plaza
6:30pm  In the Groves: A Summer Solstice Journey
7pm  Take Action! How We Can Save the Environment
11:45pm  Poor Peoples' Campaign Washington DC mobilization

—————————
Saturday June 23
—————————

9:30am  Praying with Creation, a Laudato Si’  Retreat
1pm  June Solstice Secular Luncheon: Dan Blinn on Humanism in the Age of Trump
6:30pm  In the Groves: A Summer Solstice Journey

————————
Sunday, June 24
————————

6pm  Ridge Shinn: New England Feeding Itself with 100% Grassfed, Local, Pastured Beef

———————————————————————————
Monday, June 25, 3:00 PM – Tuesday, June 26, 6:00 PM
———————————————————————————

Net Positive Symposium for Higher Education

————————
Monday, June 25
————————

10am  Thesis Defense:  Estimating Regional Nitrous Oxide Emissions Using Isotopic Ratio Observations and a Bayesian Inverse Framework
5pm  Celebrate the Renewed Fowler Clark Epstein Farm!
6pm  Rendezvous with Oblivion:  Reports from a Sinking Society
7pm  Presidential Profiles: Washington to Trump: Enneagram and Myers-Briggs Perspectives

————————————————————
Tuesday, June 26 - Wednesday, June 27
————————————————————

The US Food Waste Summit

—————————
Tuesday, June 26
—————————

5:30pm  Smart Policy and Innovation
6:30pm  HOW SHE GOT THERE: AN EVENING WITH FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS
7pm  Brown Petition Public Hearings Planning Board
7pm  Unbound:  Transgender Men and the Remaking of Identity

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

—————————
Monday, June 18
—————————

Blockchain, A.I. & the Future of Music
Monday, June 18
5:45 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Venture Cafe @CIC, 1 Broadway, 5th Floor, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blockchain-ai-the-future-of-music-tickets-46683948948

Join a community of musicians and innovators,in the conversation, design and test of a transparent, efficient, and equitable media industry of the future.

The music industry is at an inflection point and there is need to rethink old methods and standards of publishing, licensing and monetizing music. Here’s your chance to ask fundamental questions, have your opinions heard, and apply your skills, be it in music composition/ recording/ marketing, computer science, A.I. or blockchain, to make a definitive impact on the future of music.

Attend this event to learn about the expereinces of various artists, current research in the fields of blockchain and A.I. related to music, and compeling areas for further research and exprimentation. Attendees will have access to the meetups and online community, to share and learn from one another (you may join remotely too).

There are various individuals and organization doing excellent work in this space, and we would like to further those efforts. These community-driven meetups are hosted by MTonomy, a media research startup out of MIT based in Cambridge, MA. MTonomy will share its research with the community, and provide free access to its beta platform, including music publishing/streaming for artists and APIs for developers.

Newsletter: bit.ly/mtonomy-beta
Email us at: contact.mtonomy at gmail.com
Join event LIVE: Google Hangout

———————————

The Soul of America:  The Battle for Our Better Angels
Monday, June 18
6:00 PM (Doors at 5:30)
Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/jon_meacham/
Cost:  $5 - $30.50 (online only, book included)

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome Pulitzer Prize–winning author and presidential historian JON MEACHAM for a discussion of his latest book, The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels.
About The Soul of America

Our current climate of partisan fury is not new, and in The Soul of America Meacham shows us how what Abraham Lincoln called the “better angels of our nature” have repeatedly won the day. Painting surprising portraits of Lincoln and other presidents, including Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, and Lyndon B. Johnson, and illuminating the courage of such influential citizen activists as Martin Luther King, Jr., early suffragettes Alice Paul and Carrie Chapman Catt, civil rights pioneers Rosa Parks and John Lewis, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and Army-McCarthy hearings lawyer Joseph N. Welch, Meacham brings vividly to life turning points in American history.
Meacham writes about the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the birth of the Lost Cause; the backlash against immigrants in the First World War and the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s; the fight for women’s rights; the demagoguery of Huey Long and Father Coughlin and the isolationist work of America First in the years before World War II; the anti-Communist witch-hunts led by Senator Joseph McCarthy; and Lyndon Johnson’s crusade against Jim Crow. Each of these dramatic hours in our national life have been shaped by the contest to lead the country to look forward rather than back, to assert hope over fear—a struggle that continues even now.

While the American story has not always—or even often—been heroic, we have been sustained by a belief in progress even in the gloomiest of times. In this inspiring book, Meacham reassures us, “The good news is that we have come through such darkness before”—as, time and again, Lincoln’s better angels have found a way to prevail.

———————————

Boston Pitch 3DHEALS
Monday, June 18
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
110 Huntington Avenue, Room TBD, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-pitch-3d-tickets-45731953504
Cost:  $0 – $20

Welcome to our 3DHEALS Pitch 3D in Boston event at the Boston Marriott Copley Place!
Applicant company entry qualification:
Product or technology needs to focus on healthcare applications using 3D printing or bioprinting/bio-fabrication technologies, 3D Visualization tools (e.g. VR/AR), or a combination of these.
The startup may be (and not limited to) software, hardware, or material oriented.
The startup needs to be an early stage in funding (pre-seed, seed, or series A).
Rewards:
Winning startups will get private pitching and coaching by 3DHEALS Angels, GE Ventures, Medicus Ventures

———————————

Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
Monday, June 18
7:30 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes scientist, musician, writer, and VR pioneer JARON LANIER for a discussion of his latest book, Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

About Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
You might have trouble imagining life without your social media accounts, but virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier insists that we’re better off without them. In his important book, Lanier, who participates in no social media, offers powerful and personal reasons for all of us to leave these dangerous online platforms.
Lanier’s reasons for freeing ourselves from social media’s poisonous grip include its tendency to bring out the worst in us, to make politics terrifying, to trick us with illusions of popularity and success, to twist our relationship with the truth, to disconnect us from other people even as we are more “connected” than ever, to rob us of our free will with relentless targeted ads. How can we remain autonomous in a world where we are under continual surveillance and are constantly being prodded by algorithms run by some of the richest corporations in history that have no way of making money other than being paid to manipulate our behavior? How could the benefits of social media possibly outweigh the catastrophic losses to our personal dignity, happiness, and freedom? Lanier remains a tech optimist, so while demonstrating the evil that rules social media business models today, he also envisions a humanistic setting for social networking that can direct us toward a richer and fuller way of living and connecting with our world.

—————————
Tuesday, June 19
—————————

Getting to the Point with Congressman Joe Kennedy III
Tuesday, June 19
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM EDT
Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, Columbia Point, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-to-the-point-with-congressman-joe-kennedy-iii-tickets-44984155821

Congressman Joe Kennedy III will visit the Institute for a wide-ranging conversation on issues facing our communities today. Congressman Kennedy is in his third term representing the Fourth District of Massachusetts in Congress. He is a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, where he focuses on issues like mental health, energy costs, manufacturing, and STEM education.
A breakfast will precede the program.

————————————

The 2018 Human Excellence Awards: Featuring Bunker Roy, Barefoot College
Tuesday, June 19
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
Harvard, Faculty Club, 20 Quincy Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-2018-human-excellence-awards-featuring-bunker-roy-barefoot-college-and-sam-vaghar-millennium-tickets-46000915978

The 2018 Human Excellence Awards and Youth Leadership Development Conference
Honoring 5 Top Non Profit and Social Enterprise Leaders from Around the World
Sponsored by Hope Collaborative, Divine Will Foundation, Meketa Investment Group, People's Shores, and Sai Global Federation of Foundations.
Join us for an inspiring conference on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 from 9:00am to 5:00pm at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA. We are featuring powerful initiatives in education, global healthcare, and psychological health and wellbeing. We are honoring powerful innovators who deliver on a vision of higher civilization and a better society.
This year, the conference is designed to celebrate and promote the powerful leadership capacities of outstanding social entrepreneurs addressing mankind’s critical social mission issues. The day will feature legendary leaders in healthcare, education, essential services, and leadership education for populations living in poverty. The conference seeks to understand, support, and promote the skills and qualities of these leaders who are capable and committed to delivering lasting and durable change.
The conference audience will include youth leaders from youth development programs to participate in the day and discuss their process of becoming impactful, connected leaders making a difference. We expect to have 75 middle school, young adult, and millennial leaders in attendance. We will be broadcasting youth leaders in from the United States and overseas, including top youth advocacy organizations from The Bronx New York, The Bay Area, India, Nigeria, and Mexico, to name several. We expect participants from leading organizations such as The Boys and Girls Clubs, Family Life Charter Schools, Hope Collaborative, Millennium Campus Network, Rancho Cielo, Sai Ashwira, among many others.
We are honoring the power and courage of corporations thatdeploy resources and energies to invest in solutions thatadvance the cause of humanity in solving certain mission-critical problems with Stories of Corporate Courage awards.
Our goals for the day are to 1) Honor leaders and corporationsmaking a difference as a model for a new generation and 2) Empower youth leaders with leadership skills in social impact and conversations that connect youth with companies doing powerful work for mentorship.
The Power of Purpose Workshops
Universal Leadership
Illumination of Self
Service to Humanity by Ending Poverty
Devotion to high principles and the good of all humanity is a central recipe for creating new forms of civilization. These qualities drive fulfillment and satisfaction. They bring us to better selves and energies that researchers have shown can create transcendent capacities and outputs.
The best research on team satisfaction demonstrates that groups and teams that develop a commitment to the common good and high principles overwhelmingly succeed in creatingfulfilled and and committed people connected to purpose,meaning, and each other. The purpose of this conference is to mutually discover for all in attendance those skills, qualities,and mental frameworks that allow people to achieve human excellence. We are, in addition, building relationships between leaders and corporations who have succeeded in driving change, and those getting started in creating change, so that mentorshiprelationships can develop and thrive.
Human excellence in themselves. In their schools and communities. And in their possibilities as leaders and as a people.

Schedule
Morning Welcome and Keynote Speakers
9:00	Orientation and Light Breakfast
9:30	Kevin Sheehan, conference co-chair: Welcome and Introduction
9:45	Shyam Kamath, conference co-chair: Introduction Bunker Roy, Ending Poverty
10:00 Bunker Roy, founder of Barefoot Campus: Keynote
10:45 Break
Keynote Speakers Continued and Honoring Heroes
11:00 Winthrop Carty, Melton Foundation: Introduction of Sam Vaghar
11:10 Sam Vaghar Presentation: Universal Leadership
11:40 Bunker Roy: Introduction of Honorees
12:00 Film: Life of the Honorees, Corporate Courage
12:15 Lunch
60 Minute Concurrent Development Workshops
1:00	Jay Himmelstein, UMass Medical Introduction to Workshops: Sharing The Wisdom
1:10	Concurrent Workshops
* Nancy Lindborg, President of U.S. Peace Initiative Workshop:Peace Is Possible, Peace Is Practical.
* Eduardo Ochoa, President of California State Monterey Workshop: Achieving Collective Impact Through Collaboration.
* Rev. Ray Rivera, Family Life Academy Charter School Workshop: Leadership Comes From Within Introduction, Vijay Rajimini.
* C. Sreenivas, Sri Sathya Sai Sanjaveeni Hospitals, Workshop: Your Higher Calling.
* Bunker Roy, Founder of Barefoot College Workshop: Grassroots Of Changes And Innovation.
* Kevin Sheehan, Co-Founder of Hope Collaborative Workshop: The Power Of You (The Power of We).
* Steve Stirling, MAP: Overcoming Obstacles: What's Your Story?, Introduction Ethan Lyle.
* Laura Stone, Linkage Leadership Workshop: Thinking Outside the Box: Manifesting Your Potential.
* Sam Vaghar, Millennium College Network Workshop: Building Networks of Influence.

Corporate Courage and Cultural Presentations
2:30	4 Corporate Courage Honoree Panels: Introduction, Joe Nevin and Shyam Kamath,
Award Winners: Driscoll Berries, Gravity Payments, IBM, and State Street
2:40	Concurrent Workshops
* Peter Fay, Executive at IBM Accessibility, Workshop: Accessibility in Design.
* Kevin Murphy, Driscoll's Berries: Transforming Communities through Entrepreneurship by Local Farmers.
* Richard Curtis, State Street: Human Excellence in the Corporate World.
* Jose Garcia, Gravity Payments: Treating People as People.
3:20 Ethan Lyle, Closing Remarks
3:30	Cultural Presentations Youth Introduction, Ralph Jaccodine
5:00	Depart
Celebration Dinner (Separate Invitation)
6:30	David Cornsweet, Divine Will Foundation Honoring Award Recipients
Harvard Faculty Club

To learn more visit:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/WUJYPjJn6yorL/

————————————

Talks at 12 - What to Eat: The Emerging Field of Culinary Medicine
WHEN  Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 12 – 1pm
WHERE  Harvard Medical School Armenise Amphitheater, 210 Longwood Avenue, Boston
TOPICS	Education, GI/Nutrition, Wellness/Worklife
EVENT TYPES  Faculty Talk
DEPARTMENT/OFFICE  Office of Communications and External Relations
LOCATION  Harvard Medical School
SEMINAR SERIES LIST  Talks at 12
RSVP REQUIRED  No
DETAILS	  Featured speaker: Ran Polak (HMS/Spaulding)

————————————

ELM Action Fund Political, Polling, and Policy Briefing
Tuesday, June 19
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
Massachusetts Teachers Association, 20 Ashburton Place, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elm-action-fund-political-polling-and-policy-briefing-tickets-46328737501

Who should attend?
Legislators who are running for re-election, candidates for legislature, and their campaign and
policy team members are welcome. The ELM Action Fund is a non-partisan organization and we
welcome all candidates who want to support the environment. The event is not open to the press or
the general public.
Why should you attend?
With the environment under assault in Washington, we know that Massachusetts voters are
concerned about the environment and want politicians to lead on these issues. In our latest poll,
88% of voters think the environment is important in their vote. Of that 88%, 57% said it's very
important.
There are 600,152 environmental voters in Massachusetts. We expect more than 400,000 of them to
vote in 2018. Our polling shows that these environmental voters are ready to vote, donate, and
volunteer for candidates who support environmental progress.
In 60 minutes we will:
Provide a short overview of how to receive our endorsement and the support of our PAC, IE PAC, and 501C4
Share data about environmental voters and provide an individualized report including how many are in your district and compelling talking points to persuade and mobilize them
Present a short summary of polling on how all Massachusetts voters feel about energy, transportation, and other environmental issues
Present a brief review of the state's key environmental policy issues
Provide you with a copy of our new 2018-2019 Legislative Candidate Policy Briefing bookExplain the latest trends in using social media to communicate your support for the environment
Provide an overview of our Legislative Scorecard, including our unique scoring criteria
This event is free. Materials, light appetizers, and soft drinks will be provided.

————————————

Dealing with North Korea: Insights from U.S. Negotiators
Tuesday, June 19
5:00 PM to 6:30 PM (EDT)
Harvard, Kennedy School, Land Hall, 4th Floor of Belfer Building, entrance at corner of JFK Street & Eliot Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dealing-with-north-korea-insights-from-us-negotiators-tickets-46620896356

SPEAKERS:
AMB Christopher Hill (Former Head of the U.S. Delegation to the Six-Party Talks)
AMB Daniel Russel (Former Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian & Pacific Affairs)
Dr. Gary Samore (Former White House Coordinator for Arms Control & WMD)
Dr. John Park (Moderator, Director of the Harvard Korea Working Group)

————————————

Mellon School Public Lecture: Luke Menand, "Writers and Their Publics”
WHEN  Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 5:30 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Farkas Hall, Room 203, 12 Holyoke Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Theater
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Mellon School of Theater & Performance Research
SPEAKER(S)  Luke Menand, Harvard University
CONTACT INFO	thschool at fas.harvard.edu
DETAILS  The Mellon School of Theater and Performance Research was founded at Harvard University in 2010 to create a forum in which scholars in and around theater studies can gather to exchange ideas and research. The program offers faculty and advanced graduate students who study theater and performance the opportunity to learn from leading scholars in the field in an intensive two-week summer seminar. In addition to the daily seminars, the program will include discussions, research workshops, performances, and evening lectures taught by visiting faculty members.
LINK  https://mellonschool.fas.harvard.edu/public-lectures

———————————

The Bone and Sinew of the Land:  America's Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

This event is free; no tickets are required.
Harvard Book Store and the Hutchins Center for African & African American Research welcome award-winning historian ANNA-LISA COX for a discussion of her latest book, The Bone and Sinew of the Land: America's Forgotten Black Pioneers and the Struggle for Equality.

About The Bone and Sinew of the Land
The American frontier is one of our most cherished and enduring national images. We think of the early pioneers who settled the wilderness as courageous, independent—and white.

This version of history is simply wrong. Starting in our nation's earliest years, thousands of free African Americans were building hundreds of settlements in the Northwest Territory, a territory that banned slavery and gave equal voting rights to all men. This groundbreaking work of research reveals the lost history of the nation's first Great Migration. Though forgotten today, these pioneers were a matter of national importance at the time; their mere existence leading to fierce political movements and battles that tore families and communities apart long before the Civil War erupted.

The Bone and Sinew of the Land is a story with its roots in the ideals of the American Revolution, a story of courageous pioneers transformed by the belief that all men are created equal, seeking a brighter future on the American frontier.

————————————

Right Whales, Right Gear: Finding New Ways to Fish that Avoid Entanglements
Tuesday, June 19
7pm
NE Aquarium, Simons IMAX Theatre, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at http://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107627&view=Detail

Panel discussion with John Haviland, South Shore Lobster Fishermen’s Association; Laurens Howle, Duke University; Amy Knowlton, Senior Scientist, Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium; and Kristan Porter, President, Maine Lobstermen’s Association

Moderated by Tim Werner, Senior Scientist, Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium and Director, Consortium for Wildlife Bycatch Reduction

Fishing is an important economic mainstay of New England and part of its cultural heritage. North Atlantic right whales are a critical natural component of the region’s coastal waters. Where the two meet, entanglements happen, mainly as whales become wrapped in buoy ropes used to locate and haul pots resting on the seafloor. Two unlikely bedfellows—fishermen and research scientists—are working collaboratively to save whales and pot fisheries alike, studying solutions that include novel designs for ropes that are strong enough for fishing but weak enough for right whales to release themselves. Come listen to members of an expert panel discuss their perspectives on right whale entanglements and ideas for solving them.

————————————

When the Wind Blows:  Predicting How Hurricanes Change with Climate
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Boston Public Library, 700 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/when-the-wind-blows-predicting-how-hurricanes-change-with-climate-tickets-46539413639

The 2017 hurricane season was the most expensive on record for the United States, inflicting a staggering $268 billion in damage. Areas of Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico are still rebuilding after Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria made landfall last summer. The occurrence of three devastating hurricanes in a single season highlights the importance of research on the relationship between climate change and the strength of hurricanes. Now that that 2018 hurricane season has begun, scientists are working to predict what's in store for this year and for years to come as sea surface temperature continues to rise.
In this talk, Sydney Sroka, Tom Beucler, and Jonathan Lin, three graduate students studying various aspects of hurricane predictability and atmospheric physics at MIT, will describe how hurricanes intensify, the state-of-the-art technology of hurricane prediction, and the way climate change is expected to influence hurricanes.
WGBH's Boston Public Library Studio. Overflow seating will be located in the Newsfeed Café and is not guaranteed.

Speaker Bios:
Sydney Sroka is a PhD Candidate with Professor Kerry Emanuel at MIT. Her expertise is in computational fluid dynamics and she studies the air-sea transfer of enthalpy and momentum in the hurricane spray layer. She received a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship upon entering graduate school and hopes to continue studying air-sea coupling after she graduates.
Tom Beucler is a fourth-year PhD candidate in atmospheric science affiliated with the Lorenz Center at MIT, co-advised by Timothy Cronin and Kerry Emanuel. His expertise is in environmental fluid dynamics and atmospheric physics and is interested in the way radiation influences a hurricane’s growth rate and intensity.
Jonathan Lin is a graduate student with Professor Kerry Emanuel. He graduated from Princeton with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science last year and, for his PhD, is studying hurricane predictability. Jonathan is both an American Meteorological Society and a Rasmussen fellow.

————————————

Self Employment Survival Guide
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Harvard Coop, 1400 Mass Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jeanne-yocum-self-employment-survival-guide-tickets-45815569602

Jeanne Yocum
Anyone who opts for self-employment quickly learns that succeeding as your own boss is no walk in the park. While professional freedom has many, many joys, it also involves significant risks. If you're considering self-employment, or you're already self-employed, The Self-Employment Survival Guide: Proven Strategies to Succeed as Your Own Boss alerts you to the challenges involved and provides proven strategies for surmounting these obstacles and succeeding. You'll also learn what you need to put in place before taking the leap to being your own boss to help assure your success. Working for yourself offers personal freedoms and rewards, but the road can curve or travel uphill at times. Here, Jeanne Yocum shares eight key behaviors that impede success and provides proven solutions for the various obstacles that might cross your path, including unreasonable client demands, slow payers, unexpected client defections, daily schedules, health and financial planning, and the feelings of isolation that can sometimes accompany working on your own. Unlike many books that provide only a rose-colored view of self-employment, this book gives a full, realistic view of what being your own boss is actually like. By learning about the ups and downs that come with being in charge of your own livelihood, you will be better able to handle the demands of self-employment and succeed on your own terms.

About the author
Jeanne Yocum has been self-employed as a public relations consultant and ghostwriter since 1989. She is the co-author of New Product Launch: 10 Proven Strategies and Ban the Humorous Bazooka and Other Roadblocks and Speed Bumps Along the Innovation Highway. She has also ghostwritten six other business books. Her blog, www.succeedinginsmallbusiness, provides advice for small business owners.Jeanne Yocum lives in Durham, NC, with her husband, Robert Ickrath, and a puggle named Molly.

————————————

How Do We Protect Our Community as the Climate Changes?
Tuesday, June 19
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Citywide Senior Center, 806 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-do-we-protect-our-community-as-the-climate-changes-tickets-46822947697

Please join us for a community discussion about the Cambridge Climate Safety Proposal.
Free admission. Light food and drink included.
As the climate changes, Cambridge will experience much hotter temperatures and more frequent and severe flooding in larger areas.
Residents from across Cambridge want to protect the health, safety, and property of residents and workers from these threats by requiring new buildings to be climate-ready. They haveproposed changes in how buildings are constructed, how the surrounding open space is landscaped, and how stormwater is handled.
Come find out about the Cambridge Climate Safety proposal.Discuss how affordable housing can be created while addressing climate challenges. Think about what you want to tell city officials. Give your input to improve the proposal. Get prepared to take action at the City Council's Ordinance committee on June 27.
For more information on the Climate Safety proposal:http://www.cambridgeclimatesafety.info

————————————

Rev. Mariama White-Hammond on Climate Justice: What It Requires of Us All
Tuesday, June 19
7:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Beacon Hill Friends House, 8 Chestnut Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rev-mariama-white-hammond-on-climate-justice-what-it-requires-of-us-all-tickets-46120476587

Climate Justice: What It Requires Of Us All
Putting Equity At the Center Of Our Movement
Join us at the Beacon Hill Friends House on the evening of Tuesday, June 19, to hear the Reverend Mariama White-Hammond speak about climate justice -- the history of the term, what it requires us of all, and concrete suggestions for how we can all shift in a more just direction as we work to act on climate.
Rev. Mariama White-Hammond serves as the Minister for Ecological Justice at Bethel AME Church in Boston and as a fellow with the Green Justice Coalition, a partnership of environmental justice groups. Rev. Mariama is committed to engaging the faith community on social justice issues, and speaks throughout the country and serves on a number of boards and committees including the New England Grassroots Environmental Fund, Union Capital Boston and the Moral Movement Massachusetts. In 2017 she was the MC for both the Boston Women’s March and the Boston People’s Climate Mobilization. Rev. Mariama has received numerous awards including the Barr Fellowship, the Celtics Heroes Among Us, and the Boston NAACP Image Award.

—————————————

Art in AR: Boston Cyberarts and Hoverlay
Tuesday, June 19
7:30 PM to 10:30 PM
The Westin Boston Waterfront, 425 Summer Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston-Virtual-Reality/events/251044656/

Details
SCHEDULE:
7:30 pm - Doors open, demos begin, snacks are served.
8:00 pm -Announcements and Community information
8:10 PM - George Fifeld of Boston Cyberarts
8:40 PM - Nicolas Robbe and Milan Kovacev, of Hoverlay
8:40 PM - 10:15 Demofest!!
10:30 - After party at

BOSTON CYBERARTS
George Fifield, Director of Boston Cyberarts, will discuss the four augmented reality art exhibitions that Boston Cyberarts curated and organized in the last year. The Augmented Landscape was an exhibition of eight very large AR sculptures inspired by National Park Service’s Salem Maritime National Historic Site in Salem. ARLines of the City, curated by Brazilian artist/curator Giovanna Casimiro, was a vibrant Brazilian public art project at 10 sites within the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy. Then the Boston Cyberarts Gallery hosted the exhibit Now You See It… that included works by five prominent and pioneering augmented reality artists. Finally Boston Cyberarts is assisting the Newton Arts Festival in a celebration of its 13 villages with Skywrite Newton, an AR skywriting project over all 13 villages of Newton.

HOVERLAY
Creating my own AR? Yes, you can
AR has the potential to provide new ways to connect with audiences, and inform, delight and drive action. Yet, the skills required to design, build and share AR content, are daunting to most.
Nicolas Robbe and Milan Kovacev, founders of Hoverlay, will be talking about how non-engineers, artists, creators, event organizers, can create their own AR channel and start ripping the benefits of AR today.

——————————
Wednesday June 20
——————————

Bitter Pills: The Global War on Counterfeit Drugs
Wednesday, June 20
10:00 - 11:30 am
BU, Pardee Center, 67 Bay State Road, Boston
RSVP at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07efflegj09e61844c&oseq=&c=&ch=

Muhammad H. Zaman, a Professor of Biomedical Engineering and a Pardee Center Faculty Associate
The book, published by Oxford University Press in April 2018, provides a journalistic account of the increasingly common problem of counterfeit pills -- which have long been an issue in developing countries -- in the United States drug supply, resulting from the rise of Internet commerce, along with globalization and increasing pharmaceutical use. In the book, Prof. Zaman aims to raise awareness about counterfeit drugs and examine possible solutions to help people protect themselves. He focuses on the science and engineering behind both counterfeit and legitimate drugs, and explores the potential of a "technological fix" for the counterfeit drug problem.

————————————

Cottage Food Laws: Adequately Addressing Food Safety and Economic Opportunity?
Wednesday, June 20
12:00 – 1:00 (EDT)
Webinar at https://uaag.adobeconnect.com/cottagefood/

Nearly every state in the U.S. has a cottage food law that allows entrepreneurs to produce certain food products in their homes with little regulatory oversight.  Many applaud these laws for creating opportunities for producers to generate income from small scale production of foods that have a low food safety risk.  Others argue, however, that cottage food laws impose needless restrictions that impede entry into the food market without a valid public health and safety purpose.  There is notable variation from state-to-state on the definition of cottage foods and the regulatory requirements for cottage food producers, suggesting a lack of consensus about the role of regulatory oversight for cottage food production.

In this webinar, we’ll examine the issue of whether cottage food laws adequately address food safety risks while enabling economic opportunity for food entrepreneurs.   We begin with an explanation of the food safety aspects of cottage food production.  We’ll compare and contrast cottage food laws, focusing on how states define cottage foods and regulate the production, labeling and sales of cottage foods.   Throughout our discussion, we will analyze how different state approaches align with food safety risks and identify barriers that may impede opportunities for cottage food production.

Participation:
This webinar is offered free of charge and is limited to the first 100 registrants. It is recommended that you test your computer for software compatibility prior to the webinar by clicking here.

There is no pre-registration for this webinar. To enter the webinar, simply go to https://uaag.adobeconnect.com/cottagefood/ shortly before it begins.

Presenter:
Emily Adams is an Educator with Ohio State University Extension.  She holds a B.S. and an M.S. in Food Science from The Ohio State University. Adams worked for Abbott Nutrition as a Product Research and Development Scientist for nine years before joining OSU Extension as the Agriculture & Natural Resources Educator for Coshocton County. Emily counsels farmers and food producers on direct marketing of meat, eggs, and cottage food products.

Peggy Hall is an assistant professor and field specialist in agricultural and resource law.   Hall is a graduate of The Ohio State University (B.S., M.S., Natural Resource Policy) and the University of Wyoming College of Law (J.D.), where she served on the Land & Water Law Review.  She is a Past President and Board Member of the American Agricultural Law Association; Past Chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Agricultural Law Committee and served as an Advisory Board Member for the National Agricultural Law Center.  Hall currently teaches Agribusiness Law in the College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences at The Ohio State University and directs research and outreach projects for OSU’s Agricultural & Resource Law Program.

———————————

Efficacy and Mechanisms of High-intensity Training following Stroke or Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
Wednesday, June 20
2:00pm - 3:00pm
Wyss Institute, 60 Oxford Street, Room 330, Cambridge

The goal of this talk is to present evidence regarding the importance of specific parameters of locomotor interventions applied to patients with neurological injury, and details on attempts to understand the relative importance of these strategies on walking recovery in patients with stroke or SCI. Selected biomechanical and metabolic mechanisms underlying the observed changes will be discussed.

Speaker
T. George Hornby, P.T., Ph.D, Professor of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Indiana University School of Medicine; Director, Locomotor Recovery Laboratory, Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana

Contact  events at wyss.harvard.edu

——————————

Better Future Project National Campus Fossil Fuel Divestment - Input Call #2
Wednesday, June 20
5:30 PM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/465743620525084/

Better Future Project is taking on a national coordination role for the campus fossil fuel divestment movement! We will be hosting our SECOND Input Call on June 20th. For this call, we will go more in depth on our vision, goals, and theory of change for the movement. This call is for any interested students, faculty, or alumni who want to hear our plans for our national work and to provide ideas and input.

Register for the call here and . Please share the link to anyone else who may be interested! If you can’t make this call, we will be hosting more calls in July and August.

———————————

Defining Possible: Lessons from Immigrant Entrepreneurs
Wednesday, June 20
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
We Work, 200 Portland Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/defining-possible-lessons-from-immigrant-entrepreneurs-tickets-46174134078

Entrepreneurs come from all walks of life and - in Boston - from all over the world. Each entrepreneurial journey is as unique as the problem each founder set out to solve. Especially so when they decided to do so in a country other than their own. Join us on Wednesday, June 20th to hear how some of Boston's superstar founders have defeated the odds and built successful ventures in retail, adtech and AI, while navigating the challenges of the immigration process.
The panel will feature:
Bettina Hein, Founder, Pixability
Karen Marquez, Co-Founder & CEO, RobbieAI
Shiva Kashalkar, Founder & CEO, Green Pinata
The discussion will be moderated by Bobbie Carlton, Founder of Innovation Women and Mass Innovation Nights.

———————————

State of Innovation: Deep Tech
Wednesday, June 20
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Analog Garage, 125 Summer Street, Boston

RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bostinnos-state-of-innovation-deep-tech-tickets-45144383065?aff=bosmeetup

Join us for networking and conversation about how deep-tech startups thrive.

“Deep Tech” startups are at the forefront of developing technologies that address scientific and technological frontiers in industries as diverse as agriculture, healthcare and energy—technologies that in many cases address the biggest societal and environmental challenges we face today and shape the way we’ll solve our most pressing global issues. These young companies, however, face a unique set of challenges as an innovation ecosystem has typically not yet taken root around them.

A panel of experts will help deep tech startups understand how they can successfully join forces and collaborate with other leaders in the startup ecosystem. Panelists include:

Panel:
Patrick O'Doherty, VP of Emerging Business at Analog Devices
Natanel Barookhian, Founder of TechU Angels
Leila Pirhaji, Founder and CEO of ReviveMed
Jason Whaley, General Partner at Rhapsody Venture Partners

Moderator:
Matt Duffy, CMO at ClimaCell

—————————

Massachusetts and Immigration: A panel on immigration policy and our values
Wednesday, June 20
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
WeWork Workspace, 625 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/massachusetts-and-immigration-a-panel-on-immigration-policy-and-our-values-tickets-46812185507

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, in recognition of World Refugee Day,
Please join the Boston Chapter of Foreign Policy for America for a conversation on:
Massachusetts and Immigration: A panel discussion on immigration policy and our values

Featuring:
Falah Hashem, the Chief of Staff in the Massachusetts Office for Refugees and Immigrants
Mayuri Anupindi, the Senior Program Leader for Rights at Risk at the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
Aseel Sharif, Iraqi refugee, Recruitment Manager at Year Up
This discussion will bring local experts together to highlight and explore questions related to federal and state immigration policies, the status of refugees in Massachusetts, and what can we expect in the months ahead, including:
What is the latest with the Administration’s policies on DACA and how are Massachusetts DREAMERS being affected?
What are the policies in place in Massachusetts to protect undocumented migrants and other refugees in the state?
What can average citizens do to stay informed and involved in helping DREAMERS and to advocate for fair and just immigration policies in the state and in our country?
How is the current debate about immigration in the United States rooted in our nation’s past?
Please come with questions for the panelists!
This free event is sponsored by Foreign Policy for America – a bipartisan organization founded last year to strengthen the domestic constituency for strong, principled foreign policy. FP4A was created to reaffirm the importance of American global leadership and to preserve America’s historic role as a beacon to the world. For more information, and to become a member, please visit:  https://www.fp4america.org/

—————————

World Refugee Day Panel: Supporting and Investing in Refugees
Wednesday, June 20
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Cambridge Innovation Center, 101 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/world-refugee-day-panel-supporting-and-investing-in-refugees-tickets-46766229050

The WorkAround team is excited to invite you to celebrate World Refugees Day with a panel discussion on exploring different innovative ways to support refugees. Join us on Wednesday, June 20th to hear how different social enterprises are supporting refugees and how you can help.

The panel will feature:
Wafaa Arbash Co-Founder and CEO at WorkAround
Andy Freedman Co-Founder at Miles 4 Migrants
Rebecca Hui CEO at Roots Studio
Robert Fadel Executive Director at MIT ReACt
Please bring your ID to check in

—————————

Cambridge Forum: “From Trump to the Pope: Inside the Mind of a Political Cartoonist” with Ted Rall presenting Francis, The People's Pope
Wednesday, June 20
7:00 PM
First Parish (Barn Room), 3 Church Street, Cambridge

Join Cambridge Forum to hear political cartoonist Ted Rall discuss his latest graphic biography, Francis, the People’s Pope, presenting the life, ideas, and political impact of the most progressive spiritual leader in the Roman Catholic church’s history.

For sale at the event will be his latest book, Francis: The People's Pope, in addition to his bestselling series of graphic biographies: Trump, Bernie, and Snowden.

About Francis, The People's Pope
Culminating his bestselling series of graphic biographies (Snowden, New York Times bestseller Bernie, and Trump), Ted Rall's Pope Francis presents the life, ideas, and political impact of the most progressive spiritual leader the world's Roman Catholics have had since Jesus Christ himself. And just in time too!
Can a reformer, working within an established, conservative, bureaucratic institution make real change? Usually, radical thinker and political cartoonist Ted Rall would be among the first to shout "hell no." But Rall believes that Pope Francis may be the one notable exception. By expressing sympathy and outrage on behalf of the poor and hungry, solidarity with same-sex couples, and righteous anger against the world's banks' use of capital to gain profit at the expense of local communities and on the backs of the middle class, Pope Francis may have already changed the tone and substance of the conversation, Rail believes. As the world's governments persist in ignoring global warming and exporting war and suffering, Rall considers Pope Francis to be the one world leader who might be able to encourage and inspire a new populism to turn the tide.

Raised Roman Catholic himself, Ted Rall is able to bring depth to his latest graphic biography as perhaps no other writer or comics artist could. Rall's art is always attuned to the human comedy, his protagonists funny at the same time as they provide a serious account of some of the most pressing issues and struggles of our times.

————————————

Call Me American
Wednesday June 20
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Abdi Nor Iftin
The incredible true story of a boy living in war-torn Somalia who escapes to America–first by way of the movies; years later, through a miraculous green card.

————————————

Elizabeth Garber In Conversation with Richard Hoffman: Exploring Memory
Wednesday, June 20
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elizabeth-garber-in-conversation-with-richard-hoffman-exploring-memory-tickets-45181580323

Elizabeth Garber and Richard Hoffman, author of memoirs, Half the House, and Love & Fury, will have a conversation about the process of writing memoir. Elizabeth will read selections from her memoir Implosion: A Memoir of an Architect’s Daughter,which focuses on how her family was caught in a collision between modern architecture, radical social change, and mental illness in the turbulent 1960s in Cincinnati.

“In Implosion, Elizabeth Garber has voyaged far into the complexities of memory, navigating the treacherous currents of shame and confusion, and returned, ... with a beautiful, clear, heartbreaking tale. Courageous, horrible, terrible and wonderful..” Richard Hoffman

—————————
Thursday, June 21
—————————

MIT AI and Media Lab Tour
Thursday, June 21
12:30 PM to 2:30 PM (EDT)
MIT Media Lab, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-ai-and-media-lab-tour-0621-1230-3pm-tickets-46960236331

BLS Friends of Math and Science has coordinated lab tours at MIT Artificial Intelligence and Media Labs for BLS students. This is the afternoon portion of a full-day tour, and MIT can accommodate additional 40 students for this part of the tour.
Safety Notice: All participants must wear long pants and closed toe shoes as per safety regulations.
Please note:
1. Parents will be responsible for pickup/dropoff.
2. Parents will need to complete notes to school for excused absence.
3. Students will purchase own lunch on campus.
4. Parents are encouraged to sign up as chaperones. Sign-up link at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-lab-tour-parent-volunteers-sign-up-tickets-47000109593

——————————

EurekaFest 2018
Thursday, June 21
3:00pm to 5:00pm
MIT Ray and Maria Stata Center 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Join the Lemelson-MIT Program for EurekaFest 2018 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to celebrate high school and collegiate inventors from across the country who will showcase their inventions to the public on Thursday, June 21. Visit www.eurekafest.org for details.

———————————

Summer Solstice Celebration 2018
WHEN  Thursday, June 21, 2018, 5 – 9 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Museums of Science and Culture, 11 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Education, Exhibitions, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Harvard Museums of Science and Culture
COST  Free and open to the public.
CONTACT INFO  Faith Sutter
sutter at hmsc.harvard.edu
(617) 496-1638
DETAILS  On the longest day of the year, explore the world and have fun at the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture's Summer Solstice Celebration. From 5:00–9:00 pm, enjoy free admission to the four museums: the Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, the Harvard Semitic Museum,  the Harvard Museum of Natural History, and the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments.
Visit our newest exhibitions (Start off with a visit to our newest exhibitions)
Learn about the microscopic organisms that make life on Earth possible in Microbial Life: A Universe at the Edge of Sight.
Discover how ancient Near Eastern kings commemorated their military triumphs and civic achievements in From Stone to Silicone: Recasting Mesopotamian Monuments
Admire more then 600 objects from Asia, Oceania, and the Americas on display in All the World Is Here: Harvard’s Peabody Museum and the Invention of American Anthropology.
Then step outdoors for a host of fun activities
make a summer crown with fresh flowers and greens to wear during the event
Draw South Indian kolams, believed to bring good luck
Marvel at circus performers
Get up close to nature at the animal farm
Find sustenance from the event food trucks
Enter a raffle to win HMSC museum memberships and special gifts from our museum shop.
Join us for this festive community evening! Stay tuned for the complete event program.
The Summer Solstice Celebration is free and open to the public. In case of rain, the event will move inside the museums. Free event parking is available at the 52 Oxford Street Garage. Please note that Divinity Avenue will be closed to traffic during the Solstice.
The Harvard Museums of Science & Culture are only an 8-minute walk through Harvard Yard from the Harvard Square MBTA Red Line station.
LINK	https://hmnh.harvard.edu/event/summer-solstice

————————————

authors at mit: Amaranth Borsuk, "The Book"
Thursday, June 21
6:00pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Join the MIT Press Bookstore in welcoming Amaranth Borsuk, author of The Book, to the store for a reading and discussion. In The Book, a volume in the MIT Press Essential Knowledge series, Amaranth Borsuk considers the history of the book, the future of the book, and the idea of the book. Tracing the interrelationship of form and content in the book’s development, she bridges book history, book arts, and electronic literature to expand our definition of an object we thought we knew intimately. What is the book in a digital age? Rather than pinning our notion of the book to a single form, Borsuk argues, we should remember its long history of transformation.

————————————

Dinner in Camelot:  The Night America's Greatest Scientists, Writers, and Scholars Partied at the Kennedy White House
Thursday, June 21
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes historian, writer, and educator JOSEPH A. ESPOSITO for a discussion of his new book Dinner in Camelot: The Night America's Greatest Scientists, Writers, and Scholars Partied at the Kennedy White House.

About Dinner in Camelot
In April 1962, President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy hosted forty-nine Nobel Prize winners—along with many other prominent scientists, artists, and writers—at a famed White House dinner. Among the guests were J. Robert Oppenheimer, who was officially welcomed back to Washington after a stint in the political wilderness; Linus Pauling, who had picketed the White House that very afternoon; William and Rose Styron, who began a fifty-year friendship with the Kennedy family that night; James Baldwin, who would later discuss civil rights with Attorney General Robert Kennedy; Mary Welsh Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway’s widow, who sat next to the president and grilled him on Cuba policy; John Glenn, who had recently orbited the earth aboard Friendship 7; historian Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., who argued with Ava Pauling at dinner; and many others. Actor Frederic March gave a public recitation after the meal, including some unpublished work of Hemingway’s that later became part of Islands in the Stream.
Held at the height of the Cold War, the dinner symbolizes a time when intellectuals were esteemed, divergent viewpoints could be respectfully discussed at the highest level, and the great minds of an age might all dine together in the rarefied glamour of “the people’s house.”

——————————

Are Sharks Smart? Exploring the Brain of Sharks and Their Relatives
Thursday, June 21
7 pm
NE Aquarium, Simons IMAX Theatre, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at http://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107507&view=Detail

Kara E. Yopak, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina Wilmington

Selection for cognitive ability has been proposed as a key factor driving the evolution of larger brains and/or the brain structures associated with problem solving, social behavior, and other cognitively demanding tasks. These brain structures are often subject to different selection pressures, resulting in a significant degree of variation in brain size and complexity across vertebrates. Kara Yopak, Ph.D., explores major evolutionary patterns of brain organization in fishes, with particular emphasis on one of the most basal vertebrate groups, the cartilaginous fishes, which includes sharks, skates, rays, and chimaerids. Across a dataset of more than 150 species–including iconic species such as the great white shark to species with extreme morphological specializations, like the filter feeding whale shark–Yopak will explore how the variation in the size and complexity of major brain structures reflect an animal’s ecology, even in phylogenetically unrelated species that share certain lifestyle characteristics. These data may pave the way for predicting cognitive function and/or more complex behavioral repertoires in fishes, with implications for how “intelligence” has evolved across vertebrates.

————————————

Drones: Where Are We Now, Where Are We Headed?
Thursday, June 21
7:00pm to 9:00pm
MIT, Building E32-G449, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Shane Clark, Raytheon
Drones have become a fixture in the consumer electronics space, not only for hobbyists, but also for applications such as cinematography and agriculture. At the same time, they have become a cause for concern to privacy advocates, regulators, and military forces worldwide. The promise and risks of drones are often in the news, but the discussion generally fixates on drones as flying cameras or small payload carriers. This view undersells the significance of drones, which are already autonomous computers. Drones present a number of research and application opportunities and challenges, particularly considering their emerging networking and collaboration.

In this talk we will give an overview of the current state of inexpensive, off-the-shelf drone technology and consider some of those coming opportunities and challenges. We are currently conducting research addressing some of these problems including effective coordination, distributed tasking, and, privacy. Much of this work is integrated with a widely deployed tool that integrates drone tasking and situation awareness, allowing us to address practical logistical and operational issues.  We will also talk about our efforts in fielding large numbers of drones. All of this research is part of the broader effort to transform these flying toys into swarms that can operate semi-autonomously far beyond a user's line of sight or direct control.

————————————

Screening of documentary film "Ritoma"
Thursday, June 21
7:15pm to 8:30pm
MIT, E51 -115, Wong Auditorium, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

On any given day on the vast Tibetan Plateau, you will find nomads herding their animals and monks reciting their mantras. You will also find them playing one of their favorite sports: basketball.

With the introduction of televised NBA games, the nomads of Ritoma have a new strategy for their court game. And when former MIT Basketball standout Bill Johnson '10 arrives from the USA, slam-dunk becomes their new mantra.

A new tournament has been announced, the first in their region. Can they put together a team that’s good enough to take part? Might they even be able to win?

———————————

Dividing Lines: Why Is Internet Access Still A Luxury In America?
Thursday, June 21
7:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Cambridge Public Library - Central Square Branch, 45 Pearl Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dividing-lines-why-is-internet-access-still-a-luxury-in-america-tickets-46918082247

Join Upgrade Cambridge at a screening of “Dividing Lines: Why is Internet Access Still a Luxury in America?” on June 21st, 7:30 PM, at the Central Square Branch of the Cambridge Public Library. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion involving the filmmaker and local digital equity advocates.

Maria Smith, an affiliate of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society and Harvard Law School, created Dividing Lines to highlight the stark divides, uncover the complex web of political and economic forces behind them, and challenge audiences to imagine a future in which quality internet access is as ubiquitous as electricity. In Cambridge, census data show the reality of these stark divides. While virtually every high income household reports having broadband at home, only 50% of low income households say they have broadband. This leaves approximately 5000 of Cambridge’s poorest households cut off from what has become a necessity of modern life.

Panelists will include:
Dr. Colin Rhinesmith, an assistant professor in the School of Library and Information Science at Simmons and a faculty associate with the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University. Colin’s research and teaching interests are focused on the social, community, and policy aspects of information and communication technology, particularly in areas related to digital equity and community technology.
Anne Schwieger, the City of Boston’s Broadband & Digital Equity Advocate. Anne works with people across Boston to figure out how they can make broadband work better for everyone. Anne also has served on the City of Cambridge’s Broadband Task Force.

————————
Friday, June 22
————————

EBC Climate Change Program: Protecting Boston – The Boston Harbor Barrier Study
Friday, June 22
8:00 am – 12:00 noon
Nixon Peabody, 100 Summer Street, Boston
RSVP at http://ebcne.org/event/ebc-climate-change-program-protecting-boston-the-boston-harbor-barrier-study/

For over 30 years, various concepts for a harbor barrier system to protect Boston from the combined impacts of sea level rise and storm surge have been proposed and received limited consideration.  Acknowledging Boston’s location as both a strength and a vulnerability, and noting that the City’s current 1% annual chance flood may be the 10% event of 2050 or the monthly event later this century, the Climate Ready Boston report catalyzed a range of resilience initiatives – including a  feasibility study for a harbor-wide flood protection system.
Led by UMass Boston, a team of coastal adaptation professionals, scientists, engineers, planners, and economists evaluated the feasibility, benefits, costs, environmental impacts, and potential use conflicts of Outer Harbor and Inner Harbor flood protection systems.  The analysis also compares these harbor-wide alignments to the district-scale solutions currently being developed for vulnerable neighborhoods through Climate Ready Boston.  In this program, authors of the Harbor Barrier Study will present methods and results of these economic, hydrodynamic, environmental, social, non-governance analyses, and discuss next steps with regard to building coastal resilience for Boston and the region.
General Continuing Education Certificates are awarded by the EBC for this meeting (3.5 training contact hours). Please select this option during registration if you wish to receive a certificate.
Program Chair:
Joseph Famely, Project Manager, Woods Hole Group
Speakers:
Kirk Bosma, PE, MCE, Team Leader / Coastal Engineer, Woods Hole Group
Bob Chen, Ph.D., Professor, School for the Environment, UMass Boston
Di Jin, Senior Scientist, Marine Policy Center, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Paul Kirshen, Ph.D., Professor, School for the Environment, UMass Boston; Academic Director, Sustainable Solutions Lab
Kimberly Starbuck, Research Associate, School for the Environment, UMass Boston
Following the Speaker Presentations will be a Panel Discussion moderated by Joe Famely of Woods Hole Group.

———————————

City of Boston’s Celebration of Summer V: Donna Summer Roller Disco Party on City Hall Plaza
Friday, June 22
6pm -10pm
City Hall, Boston

———————————

In the Groves: A Summer Solstice Journey
WHEN  Friday, June 22, 2018, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
WHERE  Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, 125 Arborway, Jamaica Plain
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Music, Special Events, Theater
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Arnold Arboretum
SPEAKER(S)  Diane Edgecomb, Storyteller and Performer; Margot Chamberlain, Musician
WRITTEN BY  Diane Edgecomb
COST  $20 thru June 15; $25 after June 15
TICKET WEB LINK  https://my.arboretum.harvard.edu/Info.aspx?DayPlanner=1024&DayPlannerDate=6/22/2018
TICKET INFO  617-384-5277
DETAILS  Enjoy an enchanting evening of tree myths, songs, and summer solstice legends. Diane and Margot spin tales of the human connection with trees and the deep meaning we have assigned to them through the ages. This unique performance travels through the Arnold Arboretum landscape with story and music. Each story is told under a different tree or among a unique collection of Arboretum plants. The program begins under a grand Cedar of Lebanon, moves into the rosaceous collection, to the oaks of Bussey Hill, then onward to Hemlock Hill, culminating with the haunting Czech legend “The Wild Woman of the Birch Grove” told amid the birches at sunset. Appropriate for adults and for children 12 and older. In the event of rain, the event will be held in the Hunnewell Building lecture hall.
LINK  https://my.arboretum.harvard.edu/Info.aspx?DayPlanner=1024&DayPlannerDate=6/22/2018

————————————

Take Action! How We Can Save the Environment
Friday, June 21
7:00 PM
Belmont Public Library, Assembly Room, 336 Concord Avenue, Belmont

Wendy B. Jacobs, Emmett Clinical Professor of Environmental Law, Harvard University
Director, Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic

How can we fight the present assault on our environment? Personal commitments such as recycling and electric cars are good steps, but because of the current anti-environment policies we need to be much more assertive to avoid environmental disaster. We need the force of the law. This public seminar shows how public action can defeat the attack on our environment.

Wendy Jacobs, Director of the Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic at Harvard Law School will explain the environmental situation and discuss how citizens can utilize the law to restore protective regulations.

Wendy B. Jacobs, Esq. is the Emmett Clinical Professor of Environmental Law and Director of the Harvard Law School Emmett Environmental Law & Policy Clinic. She is on the Faculty of Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health’s Center for Health and the Global Environment, is a Special Advisor to the HLS Dean on Learning and Practice, is a member of the American College of Environmental Lawyers, and is on the board of the Clean Air Task Force. Ms. Jacobs’ background and her law projects are very extensive, so for more information, please visit the Emmett Environmental Law & Policy Clinic website:  http://environment.law.harvard.edu/emmett-clinic/

———————————

Poor Peoples' Campaign Washington DC mobilization
Friday, June 22
11:45pm
Roxbury Community College

For weeks, we have joined with thousands of people across the country taking to the streets and to our state capitols, with hundreds of people even risking arrest, to demand policies that lift up the poor in this country. This season of nonviolent moral action is culminating on Saturday, June 23rd with a mass mobilization in Washington, DC.

*We are coming together on the National Mall to tell the nation and our elected officials that we won?t be silent anymore. We invite you to get on the bus!*

Our bus will leave at 11:45 PM Friday evening (June 22nd) from the front of Roxbury Community college, in Roxbury. It will return following the end of the Rally, and should arrive back in Boston well after midnight on Saturday June 23rd.

Please select your ticket option below.
https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/come-to-washington-dc-for-the-poor-peoples-campaign-march-rally

—————————
Saturday June 23
—————————

Praying with Creation, a Laudato Si'  Retreat
Saturday June 23
9:30 am-4:30 pm
Sacred Heart Parish Hall, corner Massachusetts Avenue and Pleasant Street Lexington

The Psalms tell us "The heavens proclaim the glory of God!" How might our faith inspire intimacy and care for our Earth and all its inhabitants? This retreat will include prayer, guided contemplative practices, interactive exercises, reflection, and an opportunity to walk in the Great Meadows, a nearby conservation area.

Cost: Donation suggested of $5 - 30.

Transportation: Bus 62/76 runs from Alewife Station on Saturday at 8 and 9:10 AM. Return at 4:38 PM. Parking behind parish hall or on Follen Rd.

Registration is required. Please register here. Or call Fran at 617-686-8442.

Sponsored by the Boston Catholic Climate Movement, Global Catholic Climate Movement, and the Faith and Environment Group of the Lexington Catholic Community

Facilitator: Christina Leaño serves as the Associate Director of the Global Catholic Climate Movement, an international network of over 650 Catholic institutions and thousands of individuals turning Pope Francis' Laudato Si' encyclical into action for climate justice. Christina is also a retreat leader and meditation teacher. See more at christinaleano.net

————————————

June Solstice Secular Luncheon: Dan Blinn on Humanism in the Age of Trump
Saturday, June 23
1:00 PM to 4:30 PM
India Pavilion, 17 Central Square, Cambridge

We invite the secular community in the Boston area to come celebrate the Solstice, and the full arrival of summer, with us. Our annual June Solstice Luncheon will be held at the familiar India Pavilion restaurant in Central Square Cambridge, so that we can easily get together to celebrate the season. Our special guest after-lunch speaker will be Dan Blinn, recent winner of the American Humanist Association President's Award for his organizing and activism with the Hartford Humanist group he co-founded.

The luncheon will be a buffet for which we will only be asked to pay $14 each (does not include drinks -- except water) for a vegetarian-friendly, all-you-care-to-eat buffet setup. Please bring cash or check to pay our Treasurer.

Hartford Humanists President Dan Blinn is a lawyer, and humanist organizer. Dan was recently recognized for his work as a humanist activist when he was presented with the President's Award at the American Humanist Association's annual conference.

Dan's topic will be "The Challenge of our Time: Humanism in the Age of Trump". He will raise and address the following questions:

"What does it mean to be a Humanist during a time when our federal leadership's policies are antithetical to humanist values? How can we find common ground and mutual respect when interacting with Trump supporters?

How should a Humanist respond to Trumpism? How can Humanists find purpose and fulfillment in the face of rising Trumpism?" Dan will give us his views and start a discussion.

—————————

In the Groves: A Summer Solstice Journey
WHEN  Saturday, June 23, 2018, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
[...]

1 Fayette Park, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Biodiversity-for-a-Livable-Climate/events/251201589/

Join us for a delicious potluck and stimulating discussion with long-time Massachusetts holistic rancher and market innovator Ridge Shinn. His organization, Big Picture Beef, promotes humane treatment of animals, healthy soils, human health, climate-positive regenerative practices, local and regional markets, and a good living for farmers.

Ridge spoke at our first conference in 2014, you can watch the video of his talk at https://www.youtube.com/watch? and read more about his work on his website, https://www.bigpicturebeef.com/.

Ridge will tell us the fascinating story of his journey as a regenerative land management advocate - expect an enlightening and entertaining evening!

Biodiversity for a Livable Climate is a small non-profit so a minimum donation of $10 is requested.

———————————————————————————
Monday, June 25, 3:00 PM – Tuesday, June 26, 6:00 PM
———————————————————————————

Net Positive Symposium for Higher Education
Monday, June 25, 3:00 PM – Tuesday, June 26, 6:00 PM EDT
R. W. Kern Center at Hampshire College, 893 West Street, Amherst
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/net-positive-symposium-for-higher-education-tickets-43112278987
Cost:  $25 – $150

Please join us at Hampshire College for the Net Positive for Higher Education Symposium—focused on inspiring, educating, and igniting action that creates a Living Future within Higher Education Institutions.
Higher education institutions have long been centers of innovation, research, and leadership, integral in shaping our society and culture. So, what better place than college and university campuses to create the most innovative and forward-thinking communities?
Campuses in Western Massachusetts – Hampshire College, Smith College, and Williams College--are on the forefront of transformation. These institutions, with others in the area, have been early adopters of the Living Building Challenge and the Living Community Challenge. The Net Positive for Higher Education Symposium will highlight these campuses and their holistic, multi-generational approach to sustainability, resiliency, health, innovation, and equity.
Attendees will explore case studies from these campuses to understand the design, development, and implementation of these living laboratories.
This symposium is for campus planners, sustainability directors, faculty, administrators, operations staff, students, and design and construction professionals.
If you are involved in higher education in one of these industries, you should attend!
Architects
Engineers
Consultants
Contractors
Facility Managers
Educators/Curriculum Planners
Professors
Sustainability Professionals
Policy/Government
Campus or Urban Planners

Schedule At-a-Glance
June 25, 2018
3:00-5:00 PM Combined Tours: R.W. Kern Center and Hitchcock Center for the Environment tour available as a separate registration for $25 (not included in Symposium ticket)
6:00-8:00 PM Dinner - At the Red Barn on the Hampshire College campus, featuring remarks by Jonathan Lash. Tickets available for $55 as a separate registration (not included in Symposium ticket) Click this link to see dinner menu
June 26, 2018
7:30-8:15 AM Continental Breakfast in the R.W. Kern Center
8:15-9:00 AM Opening Remarks and Keynote: Amanda Sturgeon + Bill Kern
9:00-9:15 AM Transition Time
9:15-10:30 AM	Break Out Sessions #1 – Three Tracks
10:30-10:45 AM Transition Time
10:45-12:00 PM Breakout Sessions #2 – Three Tracks
12:00-1:00 PM Lunch
1:00-2:30 PM Break Out Sessions #3 – Three Tracks
2:30-2:45 PM	Transition Time
2:45-4:45 PM	Creating Action Plans – Small Group Working Session
4:45-6:00 PM	Making Commitments + Defining Next Steps with cocktails and hors d’ouerves in the R.W. Kern Center.

————————
Monday, June 25
————————

Thesis Defense:  Estimating Regional Nitrous Oxide Emissions Using Isotopic Ratio Observations and a Bayesian Inverse Framework
Monday, June 25
10:00am to 11:00am
MIT, Building 54-915, 21 Ames Street, Cambridge

Michael J. McClellan (EAPS)
A public presentation of the thesis will be given by the candidate.

Chair of the Defense:  Prof. Shuhei Ono, MIT, EAPS
Thesis Committee:
Prof. Ronald Prinn, MIT, EAPS, Advisor
Prof. Susan Solomon, MIT, EAPS
Prof. Eri Saikawa, Emory University
Dr. Matthew Rigby, University of Bristol

Copies of the thesis may be obtained from the EAPS Education Office (54-912). All interested faculty, staff and students are invited to attend.

———————————

Celebrate the Renewed Fowler Clark Epstein Farm!
Monday, June 25
5:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Fowler Clark Epstein Farm, 487 Norfolk Street, Mattapan
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebrate-the-renewed-fowler-clark-epstein-farm-registration-46581110355

Celebrate restoration of the 1786 Fowler Clark Epstein Farm and its transformation into the headquarters of the Urban Farming Institute of Boston. Enjoy an evening of food and family fun. Dedication ceremonies with Mayor Martin J. Walsh begin at 6 p.m. and don't miss your chance to be immortalized in a BIG community photograph with all your friends and neighbors at 6:30 p.m.!

————————————

Rendezvous with Oblivion:  Reports from a Sinking Society
Monday, June 25
6:00 PM (Doors at 5:30)
Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/thomas_frank2/
Cost:  $5 - $26.25 (online only, book included) - On Sale Now

Harvard Book Store welcomes acclaimed political analyst and journalist THOMAS FRANK—author of Listen, Liberal and What's the Matter with Kansas?—for a discussion of his latest book, Rendezvous with Oblivion: Reports from a Sinking Society.

About Rendezvous with Oblivion
What does a middle-class democracy look like when it comes apart? When, after forty years of economic triumph, America’s winners persuade themselves that they owe nothing to the rest of the country?
With his sharp eye for detail, Thomas Frank takes us on a wide-ranging tour through present-day America, showing us a society in the late stages of disintegration and describing the worlds of both the winners and the losers—the sprawling mansion districts as well as the lives of fast-food workers.

Rendezvous with Oblivion is a collection of interlocking essays examining how inequality has manifested itself in our cities, in our jobs, in the way we travel—and of course in our politics, where in 2016, millions of anxious ordinary people rallied to the presidential campaign of a billionaire who meant them no good.

These accounts of folly and exploitation are here brought together in a single volume unified by Frank’s distinctive voice, sardonic wit, and anti-orthodox perspective. They capture a society where every status signifier is hollow, where the allure of mobility is just another con game, and where rebellion too often yields nothing.
For those who despair of the future of our country and of reason itself, Rendezvous with Oblivion is a booster shot of energy, reality, and moral outrage.

———————————

Presidential Profiles: Washington to Trump: Enneagram and Myers-Briggs Perspectives
Monday, June 25
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Herb Pearce
This book explores the personalities of all United States Presidents, with the addition of understanding their Enneagram and Myers-Briggs personality types. It's a challenge to discover the real personality of each president due to the abundance of myth and image-making that surrounds the office in general. This includes exaggerated anecdotes and stories, debunking from opposed political parties, inaccurate or contradictory information, patriotic rewriting of history and skewed perspectives. Pearce has gathered and studied in depth a great deal of presidential information. All this research has been combined with my own experience with the Enneagram and Myers-Briggs. In this work he attempts to reflect the basic personality structure of each president with strengths and weaknesses, complexities and contradictions.

Herb Pearce is the author of five other books: Enneagram Basics, Enneagram Beyond the Basics, The Caregiver's Enneagram, Lessons from the River, his zen of canoeing book with hundreds of photographs from his 30 year whitewater canoe/camping trips in Maine, and Herb's Tips for Living, wise tips for daily living in 23 areas of life. Herb lives in Arlington, Massachusetts and is a psychotherapist and personal life coach with 40 years experience working with individuals, couples and families to better understand, respect and communicate to personality differences.

————————————————————
Tuesday, June 26 - Wednesday, June 27
————————————————————

The US Food Waste Summit
Tuesday, June 26 - Wednesday, June 27
Harvard Law School, Cambridge

Join the Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy Clinic and ReFED to accelerate food waste solutions across the U.S.

The U.S. Food Waste Summit will convene leading food businesses, policymakers, innovators, investors, foundations, and nonprofits to explore emerging opportunities for food waste prevention, recovery, and recycling.
Harvard Law School, Cambridge

—————————
Tuesday, June 26
—————————

Smart Policy and Innovation
Tuesday, June 26
5:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Harvard Faculty Club, 20 Quincy Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/smart-policy-and-innovation-tickets-46885495780
Cost:  $15

Businesses that use data to drive decision making can build deep connections with their customers, but what about our governments? At a time when the use of fact-based decision making is under threat, hear about the real and dynamic impact of field experiments to drive innovations and impact in the public domain. Smart policy intervention is not just about adding digital interfaces to old ways of delivering services but rather a new way of integrating technology and data purposefully to drive better decision making in governance. Spanning education, workforce skill development, socioeconomic mobility for women, experts from Evidence for Policy Design (EPOD) at Harvard Kennedy School along with Center for Economic Research in Pakistan (CERP) have been at forefront of this work in Pakistan.

Education: Increased test scores and learning outcomes by about 42% and spurred competition among schools to increase quality.
Vocational Training: 3x more likely for a woman to complete skills development course within-village centers, 2x more likely with group transport.
Tax Collection: Performance-based incentives to increase tax collection and widen the tax base (40+% in the growth rate of tax revenues).
Capacity Building: 200+ entry-level and 1600+ senior bureaucrats trained to use data and evidence in decision making.

Join Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) faculty Asim Khwaja, EPOD Executive Director Deanna Ford, and the Senior Advisor to the Executive Office of Technology Services and Security for the State of Massachusetts, Michael Rybicki.

————————————

HOW SHE GOT THERE: AN EVENING WITH FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS
Tuesday, 26 June
6:30 – 8:30 pm EDT
GA Boston, 125 Summer Street 13th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://generalassemb.ly/education/how-she-got-there-an-evening-with-female-entrepreneurs/boston/51314

Join us for an evening good conversation with a panel of female entrepreneurs spanning across different industries. These creative and inspirational women will share their stories on how they got to where they are today and share their insights into being a woman in business. Afterwards we will open up the floor for questions, followed by mingling with panelists and attendees.
Agenda:
6:15-6:30pm: Arrival and check-in
6:30-8pm: Panel
8-8:30pm: Additional Q&A, networking
By signing up for this event, you’re giving our partners and sponsors for this event permission to contact you about upcoming events and promotions.

————————————

Brown Petition Public Hearings Planning Board
Tuesday, June 26
7:00 pm
Cambridge City Hall Annex, 2nd Floor meeting room, 344 Broadway, Cambridge

Related to the citizens zoning petition seeking to amend the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance to establish climate resilience requirements for certain projects.

———————————

Unbound:  Transgender Men and the Remaking of Identity
Tuesday, June 26
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome award-winning author, sociologist, and Rutgers professor ARLENE STEIN for a discussion of her latest book, Unbound: Transgender Men and the Remaking of Identity. She will be joined in conversation by Dr. RUBEN HOPWOOD, the Coordinator of the Transgender Health Program at Fenway Health.

About Unbound
Award-winning sociologist Arlene Stein takes us into the lives of four strangers who find themselves together in a sun-drenched surgeon’s office, having traveled to Florida from across the United States in order to masculinize their chests. Ben, Lucas, Parker, and Nadia wish to feel more comfortable in their bodies; three of them are also taking testosterone so that others recognize them as male. Following them over the course of a year, Stein shows how members of this young transgender generation, along with other gender dissidents, are refashioning their identities and challenging others’ conceptions of who they are. During a time of conservative resurgence, they do so despite great personal costs.

Transgender men comprise a large, growing proportion of the trans population, yet they remain largely invisible. In this powerful, timely, and eye-opening account, Stein draws from dozens of interviews with transgender people and their friends and families, as well as with activists and medical and psychological experts. Unbound documents the varied ways younger trans men see themselves and how they are changing our understanding of what it means to be male and female in America.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

——————————
Wednesday June 27
——————————

City Council Ordinance Committee
Wednesday, June 27
5:30 pm
Cambridge City Hall, Sullivan Chamber, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Related to the citizens zoning petition seeking to amend the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance to establish climate resilience requirements for certain projects.

———————————

Emerging Professionals of MA US Green Building Council Summer Picnic + Wellness Boost
Wednesday, June 27
6:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
North Point Park and Playground, 1 North Point Boulevard, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/epma-summer-picnic-wellness-boost-tickets-46528895178
Cost:  $11.53 - $22.03

Join us at the Summer Picnic + Wellness Boost for an afternoon of yoga, healthy food, and discussions about merging wellness into our everyday lives.
Lawrence Flicker will start the afternoon with a calm group exercise. Following the yoga session, we will fill up our stomachs with some yummy, healthy food from Wholeheart Provisions while our guest speakers lead a casual conversation on incorporating wellness into our everyday lives. Steve Burke, Sustainability Manager at Consigli Construction, will be discussing the integration of health and wellness into sustainable construction practices. Michelle Moon will also be joining us to speak about her experience with how city biking keeps her active and focused.
Below is the agenda for the event, hope to see you there!
6:00-6:45pm: Yoga with Lawrence Flicker (Please bring your own Yoga mat!)
6:45-7:00pm: Cool Down & Food
7:00-7:15pm: Speaker: Steven Burke, Health & Wellness in Construction
7:15-7:30pm: Speaker: Michelle Moon, City Biking
7:30-8:00pm: Discussion & Networking
Thank you to City Compost for volunteering to compost at this event!

Learn more about our Yoga instructor and Speakers:
Lawrence Flicker
I came to yoga during college as part of training to play baseball and stayed with it because of the mental and physical benefits I experience from regular practice. Working for Oracle, I find my days and weeks to be long and carry the stresses of a high-pressure, fast-moving corporate environment. Outside of work, I like to keep busy with an active social life and involvement in several professional groups. Yoga is a great release, a grounding exercise, and a way to nurture my own wellness in spite of my somewhat hectic schedule. To me, wellness is a balance across several dimensions and having the self-awareness to recognize when to take care of and address each one.

Steven Burke
Steven is a Sustainability Manager at Consigli Construction Co., Inc., an 800+ person construction firm based in Massachusetts. His position involves management of company sustainability processes and sustainable construction projects at Consigli.
He has a Master of Science in Sustainability Management from Columbia University, and has delivered many presentations on how to integrate health and wellness into the design and construction of the built environment.

Michelle Moon
Michelle Moon is an urban a planner and designer who has worked with numerous non-profits and with local and state government in the Boston area.  Her work centers around using the physical landscape to address environmental and health issues, primarily through creating and improving open space, placemaking, green infrastructure, and bike infrastructure.  Michelle has worked as an independent consultant for the Fairmount Greenway, Neighborways Design, Patronicity, and the Massachusetts Smart Growth Alliance, as well as worked as horticulturist, graphic design, researcher, and teacher.

————————————

Messing with the Enemy: Surviving in a Social Media World of Hackers, Terrorists, Russians, and Fake News
Wednesday June 27
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Clint Watts
A former FBI Special Agent, U.S. Army officer and leading cyber-security expert offers a devastating and essential look at the misinformation campaigns and electronic espionage operations that have become the cutting edge of modern warfare—and how we can protect ourselves and our country against them.

————————————

Squeezed:  Why Our Families Can't Afford America
Wednesday, June 27
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes acclaimed author and journalist ALISSA QUART for a discussion of her latest book, Squeezed: Why Our Families Can't Afford America. She will be joined in conversation by LISA MULLINS, the voice of WBUR's All Things Considered.

About Squeezed
Families today are squeezed on every side—from high childcare costs and harsh employment policies to workplaces without paid family leave or even dependable and regular working hours. Many realize that attaining the standard of living their parents managed has become impossible.

Alissa Quart, executive editor of the Economic Hardship Reporting Project, examines the lives of many middle-class Americans who can now barely afford to raise children. Through gripping firsthand storytelling, Quart shows how our country has failed its families. Her subjects—from professors to lawyers to caregivers to nurses—have been wrung out by a system that doesn’t support them, and enriches only a tiny elite.
Interlacing her own experience with close-up reporting on families that are just getting by, Quart reveals parenthood itself to be financially overwhelming, except for the wealthiest. She offers real solutions to these problems, including outlining necessary policy shifts, as well as detailing the DIY tactics some families are already putting into motion and argues for the cultural reevaluation of parenthood and caregiving.

Written in the spirit of Barbara Ehrenreich and Jennifer Senior, Squeezed is an eye-opening page-turner. Powerfully argued, deeply reported, and ultimately hopeful, it casts a bright, clarifying light on families struggling to thrive in an economy that holds too few options. It will make readers think differently about their lives and those of their neighbors.

—————————
Thursday, June 28
—————————

Getting Local! New Hampshire’s Regional Food Systems
Thursday, June 28
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Webinar
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-local-new-hampshires-regional-food-systems-tickets-46021811477

There are many people and organizations working to support the local food economy. In this month’s webinar, we will hear about regional food system work from the North Country to Monadnock to the Seacoast. Join us to learn more about what’s happening throughout the state and how you can get involved!
Presenters include:
Roe-Ann Tasoulas from Monadnock Farm and Community Coalition
Julie Moran from North Country Farmers Coop
Jillian Hall from Seacoast Eat Local
Jesse Wright from Upper Saco Valley Land Trust
Join the webinar using Zoom at https://unh.zoom.us/j/151234830

Past webinars available at http://www.nhfoodalliance.com/content/past-webinars

—————————————

Unbroken By Bars: A Public Program
WHEN  Thursday, June 28, 2018, 6 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Gutman Gallery, 6 Appian Way, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Art/Design, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Gutman Library
DETAILS	 Panel discussion and public program.
Unbroken by Bars examines the experiences of mothers who gave birth while incarcerated, a topic influenced by Michelle Alexander’s book The New Jim Crow and the endless fight for women’s rights and ownership of their bodies. This public art project was supported by Amplifier and #cut50 as part of a month-long initiative to bring attention to the Dignity for Incarcerated Women Act, a bill sponsored by Senator Cory Booker and Senator Elizabeth Warren.
LINK  http://www.unbrokenbybars.com/ABOUT

————————————

Amity and Prosperity:  One Family and the Fracturing of America
Thursday, June 28
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store and WBUR welcome award-winning translator and poet ELIZA GRISWOLD for a discussion of her latest book, Amity and Prosperity: One Family and the Fracturing of America. She will be joined in conversation by award-winning journalist BRUCE GELLERMAN. This event is co-sponsored by WBUR.

About Amity and Prosperity
Stacey Haney is a local nurse working hard to raise two kids and keep up her small farm when the fracking boom comes to her hometown of Amity, Pennsylvania. Intrigued by reports of lucrative natural gas leases in her neighbors’ mailboxes, she strikes a deal with a Texas-based energy company. Soon trucks begin rumbling past her small farm, a fenced-off drill site rises on an adjacent hilltop, and domestic animals and pets start to die. When mysterious sicknesses begin to afflict her children, she appeals to the company for help. Its representatives insist that nothing is wrong.
Alarmed by her children’s illnesses, Haney joins with neighbors and a committed husband-and-wife legal team to investigate what’s really in the water and air. Against local opposition, Haney and her allies doggedly pursue their case in court and begin to expose the damage that’s being done to the land her family has lived on for centuries. Soon a community that has long been suspicious of outsiders faces wrenching new questions about who is responsible for their fate, and for redressing it: The faceless corporations that are poisoning the land? The environmentalists who fail to see their economic distress? A federal government that is mandated to protect but fails on the job? Drawing on seven years of immersive reporting, Griswold reveals what happens when an imperiled town faces a crisis of values, and a family wagers everything on an improbable quest for justice.

————————————

Ocean Conservation Storytelling
Thursday, June 28
7pm
NE Aquarium, Simons IMAX Theatre, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at http://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107466&view=Detail

Andy Mann, Conservation Photographer and Filmmaker, National Geographic, SeaLegacy
With the magnificent honor of documenting the world’s oceans comes the incredible responsibility of telling these stories correctly and to the right people. Through photo and video storytelling, Andy Mann and SeaLegacy aim for the highest level of cinematography and social impact in order to bring change and raise awareness for our most threatened marine ecosystems. Through multimedia, Mann will share stories (and misadventures) from his excursions in all seven continents, including recent diving expeditions to Antarctica, the Arctic, Cuba, Macaronesia, and other locales, shining light on our most precious and threatened ecosystems.

———————————

The Secret Token: Myth, Obsession, and the Search for the Lost Colony of Roanoke
Thursday, June 28
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Andrew Lawler
In 1587, 115 men, women, and children arrived at Roanoke Island on the coast of North Carolina to establish the first English settlement in the New World. But when the new colony's leader returned to Roanoke from a resupply mission, his settlers had vanished, leaving behind only a single clue--a "secret token" etched into a tree.

What happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke? That question has consumed historians, archeologists, and amateur sleuths for four hundred years. In The Secret Token, Andrew Lawler sets out on a quest to determine the fate of the settlers, finding fresh leads as he encounters a host of characters obsessed with resolving the enigma. In the course of his journey, Lawler examines how the Lost Colony came to haunt our national consciousness.

Incisive and absorbing, The Secret Token offers a new understanding not just of the Lost Colony and its fate, but of how its absence continues to define--and divide--America.

Andrew Lawler is the author of the highly acclaimed Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?. He is a contributing writer for Science, a contributing editor for Archaeology Magazine, and has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, National Geographic, Smithsonian, and Slate

—————————
Saturday, June 30
—————————

Boston Area Beekeepers Association Open Hives
Saturday, June 30
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Boston Nature Center, 500 Walk Hill Street, Mattapan

Drop in at the Boston Nature Center Saturday mornings from June to August and learn all about honey bees from the Boston Area Beekeepers!  We host an apiary on the sanctuary, and the beekeepers will “bee” more than happy to help you explore all aspects of bee life.  Learn how they make honey, how they survive the winter, and much more!  Free.

Registration is required.
Register online or call 617-983-8500 to register by phone.
Register by mail: program registration form (PDF 66K)
For your own security, DO NOT send credit card information via email.
For more information, contact:
Boston Nature Center
500 Walk Hill Street
Mattapan, MA 02126
bnc at massaudubon.org

————————
Monday, July 2
————————

Science Diplomacy from the Arctic to our World
Monday, July 2
6:30pm
The Burren, 247 Elm Street, Somerville

Paul A. Berkman

More information at http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/science-by-the-pint/

————————
Tuesday, July 3
————————

Invisible Light! Can the Treatment of Depression Be Beyond What is Seen?
Tuesday, July 3
Time: 8:00 am – 9:00 am (followed by Coffee Hour)
Bornstein Family Amphitheater, BWH, 45 Francis Street, Boston

Presenter: Paolo Cassano, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Director of Photobiomodulation, Depression Clinical and Research Program, Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders, Massachusetts General Hospital
Transcranial photobiomodulation (t-PBM) with invisible near-infrared radiation (NIR) has emerged as a potential antidepressant treatment in both animal models and human studies. t-PBM consists of delivering NIR ─or red light─ to the scalp of the patient, which penetrates the skull and modulates function of the adjacent cortical areas of the brain. t-PBM with red light and/or NIR appears to increase brain metabolism (by activating the cytochrome C oxidase in the mitochondria), to increase neuroplasticity, and to modulate endogenous opioids, while decreasing inflammation and oxidative stress. t-PBM penetrates deeply into the cerebral cortex, modulates cortical excitability and improves cerebral perfusion and oxygenation. Studies have suggested that it can significantly improve cognition in healthy subjects, and in subjects with traumatic brain injury. The safety of t-PBM has been studied in a sample of acute 1,410 stroke patients, with no significant differences in rates of adverse events between t-PBM and sham exposure. Uncontrolled studies suggest an antidepressant effect of t-PBM in subjects suffering from major depressive disorder. A case on the use of t-PBM for the treatment of major depressive disorder will be presented, with discussion of evidence from a recent clinical trial.

Biography: Dr. Paolo Cassano is assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of photobiomodulation at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Depression and Clinical Research Program and at the MGH Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders.

Dr. Cassano received both his MD in medicine and surgery, and his PhD in clinical neuro-psychopharmacology from the University of Pisa in Italy.  He pursued post-doctoral studies in mood and anxiety disorders with the MGH Depression and Clinical Research Program (DCRP) and graduated from the MGH-McLean Adult Psychiatry Residency Program in 2009.

Dr. Cassano’s research has focused on developing new treatments for major depressive disorder (MDD) and better characterizing response to treatment by examining comorbid conditions, cultural factors and trauma. During his PhD studies in Italy, he co-led several research projects focusing on the use of two anti-Parkinson drugs for the treatment of resistant-depression. After coming to the United States he joined the DCRP at MGH, where he continued to study mood disorders, comorbidity and resistance to treatment as a co-investigator in STAR*D ─ the Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression ─ trial.

Since 2014, Dr. Cassano has held a dual appointment at the MGH Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders (CATSD) and DCRP. At the DCRP and at the CATSD, he has severed as principal investigators and co-investigators on multiple studies on Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Social Anxiety Disorder.

Since 2009, he has served as principal investigator on several studies on transcranial photobiomodulation for MDD, GAD and in healthy subjects, including a Brain and Behavior Research Foundation (2012 NARSAD YI) Award and a Dupont Warren/Livingston Fellowship from Harvard Medical School. These groundbreaking projects ─ in collaboration with the MGH Wellman Center for Photomedicine ─ have led to very promising results. Considerable press attention stemmed from these studies, with CNN and Washington Post coverage at the national level.

************
——————
Opportunity
----------------
************

MIT Solve Coastal Communities Challenge
How can coastal communities mitigate and adapt to climate change while developing and prospering?
https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/coastal-communities
Challenge deadline July 1, 2018

Challenge Overview
Over 30% of humanity lives near coasts, ranging from massive cities to key ports and naval bases to small islands. The effects of climate change – including sea level rise, stronger storms, ocean warming and acidification – are causing increasing negative impacts on these communities’ lives and livelihoods. For the 600 million people supported by the fishing industry, a majority of them women, overfishing, pollution, and acidification threaten their livelihoods and the fragile ecosystems on which they depend. In cities and elsewhere, some communities already face regular flooding due to higher tides, some will see more frequent natural disasters, and others will see tourist-attracting coral reefs or surfing fade.

Further, as 60% of global GDP and 90% of global trade moves through coasts, increased flooding or damage to port infrastructure poses risks for communities and businesses alike, whether or not they are near the ocean. In addition, coastal and ocean ecosystems absorb 25% of our excess CO2, but are often degraded through coastal development, making climate change harder to mitigate.

While facing numerous impacts, coastal communities from Puerto Rico to Dhaka also have the potential to demonstrate resilient and sustainable ways of living near and with the ocean. Doing so will require people to have access to new technological solutions—along with new ways to envision and enact hard decisions about economies, society, and infrastructure. The Solve community aims to find innovative solutions to support and enhance coastal communities, while mitigating and adapting to climate change. To do so, Solve welcomes solutions from innovators around the world that:

Increase the viability and scale of sustainable economic activity from oceans, ranging from fishing to energy production to tourism
Provide cost-effective infrastructure approaches to improve resilience in the face of increased storm-, sea-, and tidewater
Rebuild or replicate mangroves, corals, and other ecosystems to restore historic functions, including storm surge absorption, carbon uptake, and stable fisheries
Enable coastal communities, governments, and corporations to use data to understand and make complex decisions around sustainable and resilient development

——————————

Announcing Destination 2040: The next long-range transportation plan for the Boston region

How would you improve the Boston region’s transportation system? That’s the question at the heart of the MPO’s preparations for Destination 2040, which the MPO expects to adopt in the spring of 2019.

Every four years, the MPO identifies the system’s strengths and weaknesses; forecasts changes in population, employment, and land use; and creates a plan to address existing and future mobility needs. The resulting long-range transportation plan (LRTP) allocates funding for major projects in the Boston region and guides the MPO’s funding of capital investment programs and studies.

Use the new Destination 2040 website at http://ctps.org/lrtp-dev to explore the state of the system; learn how the MPO will identify needs, revisit its vision and goals, and prioritize its investments; and share your own interests, concerns, and ideas.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

Solar map of Cambridge, MA
http://www.mapdwell.com/en/cambridge

———————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
MIT Energy Club:  http://mitenergyclub.org/
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.