[act-ma] 6/20 State House action to protect immigrant families in Mass

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Jun 19 13:39:53 PDT 2018

State House action to protect immigrant families in Mass.

  Wed 20th 12:30 PM - 2 PM

Toddlers are being torn from their mothers' arms. Children are being put
in cages and warehoused at an old Walmart. Asylum-seekers escaping
domestic abuse and gang violence are being turned away. And right in our
communities, families are being torn apart every day by overzealous
immigration enforcement. It's morally abhorrent.

So what is Massachusetts doing to protect immigrant families? The state
Senate passed a budget amendment with 4 basic protections, to stop
police from helping round up immigrants and protect civil rights and due
process. But the House is doing NOTHING, and Governor Baker has
threatened to veto the Senate measure.

We're NOT going to let them get away with this. Meet us on the State
House steps at 12:30, and we'll go into the State House together. Bring
SMALL signs (8.5x11 or something you can roll up, so you can get through
security), but most important, your voice. If the House won't listen,
we're going to make ourselves heard!

Hosted by Pioneer Valley Workers Center
<https://www.facebook.com/PVWorkersCenter/> and 6 others
<https://www.facebook.com/browse/users/?q=AeIWWCUpiiMMahw6MXsnWeomNwwkFm3ZQGznvRTywCLdJybb45fCvArJbFY6OixD-8AYq5WLsghHYhrg-9Fs-Nk_6DkyMMZn7ZouEeurbLvFl_Wsul66TKXGnUNOWBenjEwdlS3SXPFImnCYvPwxxRwHCB5T1WcGCk3qmKDQXOKn4Uy74VVvxrinr7XnFaMe6IqzQYc8NNxsykyFdAlLd2zP>

also note

  Sanctuary in the Streets General Assembly (Northampton)

https://www.facebook.com/events/374019913073713/?active_tab=about

· Hosted by Pioneer Valley Workers Center
<https://www.facebook.com/PVWorkersCenter/>

What is Sanctuary in the Streets?
Sanctuary in the Streets is a rapid response network of 2,000 people and
40 congregations mobilizing against raids and deportations, workplace
abuse, and hate crimes. We have a 24 hour response hotline and have
trained 800 people to rapidly mobilize as a detention is taking place.
Thus far, we have accompanied over 40 individuals/families facing
immigration detention and/or deportation, and have worked with dozens of
workers to win justice in cases of wage theft, retaliation, and sexual
harassment.

What happens at the general assemblies?
At our general assemblies, all our committees meet: fundraising,
education and media, logistics and technology, events and training, and
our newly formed mutual aid committee. If you're new, you'll attend an
orientation to learn about the network and the current projects of each
committee. You'll then be ready to join a committee or plug into
existing projects!