[act-ma] Pardon Imprisoned Whistle-Blower Reality Leigh Winner Stand-Out Davis Square MBTA Subway Stop-Holland Street Side, Somerville-5 PM - 6 PM Thursday September 20, 2018

smedleyvfp@gmail.com alfredjohnson34 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 13:58:12 PDT 2018

Pardon Imprisoned Whistle-Blower Reality Leigh Winner Stand-Out Davis Square MBTA Subway Stop-Holland Street Side, Somerville-5 PM - 6 PM Thursday September 20, 2018

We Will Not Leave Reality Leigh Winner Behind-We Still Say Don’t Prosecute The Truth

Ms. Winner had been charged under the Espionage Act, a 100-year-old statute originally designed for spies and saboteurs aiding foreign governments in time of war, for allegedly giving a document vital to the public’s understanding of potential Russian interference in U.S. election systems to Intercept, an on-line news organization.

On June 26, 2018 Ms. Winner entered a guilty plea to the espionage charge in the Federal District of Georgia in Augusta. On August 23, 2018 the judge acting on the recommendation of the prosecution formally sentenced her to sixty-three months in jail and three years of supervised probation thereafter. She had served over a year in pre-trial confinement having repeatedly been denied bail before trial. By pleading guilty, Ms. Winner has given up her right to appeal the espionage statute as applied to her and/or its constitutionality. That leaves a presidential pardon or commutation of sentence as the only serious remedies.

This is the stiffest sentence ever given to a civilian whistle-blower. We believe the sentence against Ms. Winner is grossly disproportionate to her offense and is designed to create a chilling effect on investigative journalism by dissuading sources from sharing information that is critical to the public interest. We are still dedicated to raising public awareness of Winner’s case in light of the U.S. government’s persistent abuse of the Espionage Act. Conviction does not end our support for Ms. Winner who like other political prisoners needs to know that those outside the prisons are still concerned about her welfare.

For more information about the Winner case Google Stand With Reality for her website.

Under Article II, Section 2 The President… shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment. We urge you to come stand with us at Davis Square on September 20th at 5 PM, If you can’t please Google the following website now to add your signature to the pardon campaign -timing is important:

Pardon Reality Winner

https://act.rootsaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=13457https://t.co/TVzIgF6qZ3