[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - June 9, 2018

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jun 9 10:50:43 PDT 2019

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

————————
Monday, June 10
————————

8:45am  A Workshop on Atmospheric Dynamics and Transport
1pm  Innovative Financing Strategies for Affordable Housing Forum
6pm  Boston New Technology HealthTech Startup Showcase #BNT102 (21+)
6pm  Fort Hill Solar Party
7pm  Indecent Advances:  A Hidden History of True Crime and Prejudice Before Stonewall

————————
Tuesday June 11
————————

8:30am  MIT IT Partners 2019 Conference
9am  Passive House: A Technical Look
12pm  The Creation of Local Agrarian Commons
1pm  Pollinator (& Insect) Survey at Fresh Pond
1:45pm  “Stop the Pipeline to Extinction” Action
7pm  Underland:  A Deep Time Journey
7pm  Our Non-Christian Nation: How Atheists, Satanists, Pagans, and Others Are Demanding Their Rightful Place in Public Life
7pm  100 Side Hustles: Chris Guillebeau & Friends in Boston
7pm  Joseph Warren Biography: Author Lecture and Signing

——————————
Wednesday, June 12
——————————

12pm  Realizing the Economic Impacts of Energy Efficiency in Pennsylvania
5:30pm  Social Impact on Tap: Collaborative Happy Hour with Community Boost
5:30pm  Pitch Night 2019: The Future of HealthTech
6pm  George Greenstein: Quantum Strangeness
6pm  Startup Spotlight
7pm  Fake News Versus Fact:  Living in a Post-Truth World

—————————
Thursday, June 13
—————————

9am  A Forum on Climate and Waterfront Development
11am  The State of Life Science Innovation: Navigating Threats to Growth
12pm  The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society
1pm  Holistic Sustainability Webinar
4pm  Bos/Tech Jam
5:30pm  InspireCommunityImpact: Café Night at District Hall
6pm  Getting to the Point with Congressman Seth Moulton
6pm  Boston's Twentieth-Century Bicycling Renaissance
6pm  Boston Climate Action Network - Action Team Meeting
6:15pm  Developing Robotics Tech Today and Tomorrow
6:30pm  White Lives Matter: An honest conversation around race, culture + being Black in Boston
7pm  Everyday Chaos:  Technology, Complexity, and How We're Thriving in a New World of Possibility
7pm  How to Fall in Love with a Coral
7pm  2019 Climate & Energy Advocacy Training

————————
Friday, June 14
————————

8am  Summer Symposium 2019: Machine Learning and Cancer
6pm  Urban Farming Redefined: Tour the New Freight Farms Greenery™

—————————
Saturday, June 15
—————————

10am  DayCon 2019: The Art of Science
12pm  Charles River Swimming Day and Afterparty
1pm  Futurefood
7pm  Guns Down: A Conversation with Igor Volsky on how to build a safer future with Fewer Guns

————————
Sunday, June 16
————————

6pm  The Heat Planet - A New Approach to Climate with Christopher Haines

—————————
Monday, June 17
—————————

12pm  Webinar: 10 Agile Ideas Worth Sharing with Steven D. Eppinger
12pm  The Green New Deal:  What Will It Take to Create a Clean Energy Economy That Works for Everyone?
6pm  Stories From the Arab Spring: An Evening of Storytelling and Conversation
6:30pm  Into the Thaw: Stories from Antarctica with PRI's The World
7pm  This All-At-Onceness
7pm  Paris to Pittsburgh
7pm  JP Solar Happy Hour June

—————————
Tuesday, June 18
—————————

8:30am  Precision Medicine 2019: Can AI Accelerate Precision Medicine?
10:30am  Massachusetts Food is Medicine State Plan
1pm  Refuah Shleima -  Healing Ourselves in a Time of Climate Disruption
3pm  Nanobiotechnology
4pm  Northeastern 2nd Annual Block Party
6:30pm  A Community Conversation with Candidates for Boston City Councilor-At-Large
7pm  Yes She Can:  10 Stories of Hope & Change from Young Female Staffers of the Obama White House
7:30pm  Healing Ourselves in a Time of Climate Disruption

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume II
https://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2019/06/autobiography-of-mark-twain-volume-ii.html

————————
Monday, June 10
————————

A Workshop on Atmospheric Dynamics and Transport
Monday, June 10
8:45am to 4:30pm
MIT, Building 66-110, 25 Ames Street, Cambridge

In Honor of Prof. Emeritus R. Alan Plumb
Featuring:
Kristie Boering
Cegeon Chan
Kerry Emanuel
Edwin Gerber
Peter Haynes
Isaac Held
Tieh-Yong Koh
Marianna Linz
John Marshall
Noboru Nakamura
Jessica Neu
Nikki Prive
Bill Randel
Ted Shepherd
Aditi Sheshadri
Darryn Waugh
Angela Zalucha

Monday, June 10, 2019
Workshop: 8:45am—4:30pm
Building 66, Room 110

Reception & Dinner: 6—9pm
Catalyst Restaurant, Tech Square, Cambridge

RSVP by June 5, 2019 to Alma Pellecer: pellecer at mit.edu. Please specify workshop and/or complimentary dinner attendance.

————————————

Innovative Financing Strategies for Affordable Housing Forum
Monday, June 10
1 PM - 3 PM
Fort Point Room, 290 Congress Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/innovative-financing-strategies-for-affordable-housing-forum-tickets-62060603937

Join LISC Boston and Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP)
Learn how we can achieve deeper energy savings and integrate clean energy technologies into multifamily affordable housing.
Hear from lenders, subsidy providers, and owners on the potential to incorporate efficiency improvements into the financing process.
Speakers will include Community Preservation Corporation, NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development, LISC, MHP, and POAH.
Sponsored by LISC Boston and MHP.

Cosponsored by CEDAC, CHAPA, Community Preservation Corporation, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, MassDevelopment, MassHousing, Mel King Institute, NeighborWorks, Passive House MA, The Property and Casualty Initiative, ULI, and USGBC MA.

————————————

Boston New Technology HealthTech Startup Showcase #BNT102 (21+)
Monday, June 10
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Foley Hoag LLP, 155 Seaport Boulevard, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/261595789/
Cost: $15.00 /per person

See innovative and exciting local HealthTech product demos, presented by startup founders
Network with the Boston-area startup/tech community
Get your free headshot photo (non-intrusively watermarked) from The Boston Headshot!
Enjoy dinner with beer, wine and more

Each company presents an overview and demonstration of their product within 5 minutes and discusses questions with the audience.

21+. Register at least 2 days prior to save 50%. Only $15!

To save on tickets and enjoy exclusive benefits, purchase a BNT VIP Membership. Learn more: http://bit.ly/BnTvip

———————————

Fort Hill Solar Party
Monday, June 10
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Fort Hill Bar & Grill, 2805 Washington Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fort-hill-solar-party-tickets-62381676273

———————————

Indecent Advances:  A Hidden History of True Crime and Prejudice Before Stonewall
Monday, June 10
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes Clinical Professor of Liberal Studies at NYU and cultural historian JAMES POLCHIN to discuss his debut book, Indecent Advances: A Hidden History of True Crime and Prejudice Before Stonewall. He will be joined in conversation by ROBERT W. FIESELER, acclaimed author of Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

About Indecent Advances
In his skillful hybrid of true crime and cultural history, James Polchin provides an important look at how popular culture, the media, and the psychological profession forcefully portrayed gay men as the perpetrators of the same violence they suffered. He traces how the press depicted the murder of men by other men from the end of World War I to the Stonewall era, when gay men came to be seen as a class both historically victimized and increasingly visible.

Indecent Advances tells the story of how homosexuals were criminalized in the popular imagination—from the sex panics of the 1930s, to Kinsey study of male homosexuality of the 1940s, and the Cold War panic of Communists and homosexuals in government. Polchin illustrates the vital role crime stories played in circulating ideas of normalcy and deviancy, and how those stories were used as tools to discriminate and harm the gay men who were observers and victims of crime. More importantly, Polchin shows how this discrimination was ultimately transformed by activists to help shape the burgeoning gay rights movement in the years leading up to Stonewall Riots of 1968.

A cast of noted public figures—Leopold & Loeb, J Edgar Hoover, Alfred Kinsey, Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs, Patricia Highsmith, James Baldwin, and Gore Vidal—is threaded through this complex subject. Politicians, law enforcement officials, and psychologists weigh in to explain the dangerous relationship between homosexuality and violence. And one needs to look no further than the recent TV series about Andrew Cunanan's murder spree leading up to his shooting of Gianni Versace to ascertain, perhaps, how little things have changed in the policing and reporting of these kinds of crimes against gay men. Polchin's vital history is as important today as it was then.

————————
Tuesday June 11
————————

MIT IT Partners 2019 Conference
Tuesday, June 11
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
MIT Stata Center (Bldg 32), 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-it-partners-2019-conference-tickets-61972688981

The IT Partners full day conference will feature presentations and collaborative sessions on a variety of important topics. The sessions will take place in the Kirsch Auditorium and in classrooms located in and around the Stata Center (Building 32).

We are pleased to announce that our keynote speaker will be Mark Silis, the Vice President of IS&T (Information Systems & Technology) at MIT.
Breakfast will be available at 8:30am. The conference will begin at 9am. Lunch and an afternoon snack will also be provided.
Further details will be posted to the 2019 IT Partners Conference wiki page.

As always, if you have specific suggestions with regards to topics you would like to see at future IT Partners events, please email the IT Partners Planning Team at itpartners-plan at mit.edu.

————————————

Passive House: A Technical Look
Tuesday, June 11
9:00 AM to 11:00 AM (EDT)
Edison Conference Room, 16th Floor, 50 Milk Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/passive-house-a-technical-look-tickets-62066781414
Cost:  $31.53

Passive House is a complimentary and comprehensive standard that can help LEED projects achieve valuable Energy and Atmosphere (EA) points, Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) points, and meet other LEED project requirements.  In this 2-Hour session, Luke McKneally AIA, LEED AP, CPHC will go into greater depth regarding the challenges and successful strategies employed to achieve the rigorous Passive House design criteria on significant projects in the Northeast.

Learning Objectives
Learn more about what has been called the most energy efficient building standard in the world, Passive House.
Understand how Passive House provides an ideal path to achieving Net Zero Energy buildings.
Understand how the building enclosure design is critical to meeting the Passive House certification criteria.
Learn how mechanical systems design can work with envelope design to reduce energy loads

————————————

The Creation of Local Agrarian Commons
Tuesday, June 11
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM EDT
Webinar
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-creation-of-local-agrarian-commons-tickets-60911454801

In the next two decades alone, it's estimated that across the US, over 400 million acres of farmland will change ownership. The Agrarian Trust is a nonprofit organization that works tirelessly to ensure that tomorrow's farmers have access to this land, and that the opportunities to farm remain economically viable.

Ian McSweeney, Director of the Agrarian Trust, will talk about their exciting new project to create a local Agrarian Commons. The Agrarian Commons will purchase farmland and enter into fair long-term leases with new farmers, while protecting the land with easements and restrictions supporting ecologically restorative agricultural practices. A farmer himself, Ian understands the challenges of land ownership and has also previously served as the Executive Director of the Russell Foundation.

This webinar will be recorded for future viewing. If you cannot attend the webinar but are still interested, please register so that we can notify you when the recording is ready!
Live Webinar Link (only active 6/11/19): https://unh.zoom.us/j/948099386

————————————

Pollinator (& Insect) Survey at Fresh Pond
Tuesday, June 11
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT
Entrance to Fresh Pond Reservation across Wheeler, Wheeler Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pollinator-insect-survey-at-fresh-pond-tickets-55668303394

Join this incredible opportunity to connect with Nature, and to help the conservation of our urban wildlife habitats. We observe and collect information about pollinators (and more generally arthropods). We then feed that info to different global databases that are tracking species richness, population abundance, and phenophases.

Collecting such data is an important scientific effort that helps better understand the collapse of insect populations, that is being been observed throughout the world. That kind of data is critical to understand the implications on avian populations, other fauna at large, and on our own species (e.g., food security). A better understanding will lead to better societal actions and policies.

We will also develop together a virtual guide to the insects and wildlife of Fresh Pond.

Age: Adults (16+) & Seniors.

Rendezvous: At the entrance to the Lusitania woods, at the intersection of the Regional bike path connection and the entrance to the reservation across Wheeler street (see Map).

Details & Registration: This is an RSVP event. We need your registration so that we can communicate with you about what to wear and what to bring, as well as to be able to inform you if there is any change plan due to weather and other reasons. Thanks and register today!

For any question, you can contact Claire atcitizenscience at earthwiseaware.org
About our EwA at Fresh Pond Program »https://www.earthwiseaware.org/ewa-at-fresh-pond/
Free with a value: This event is free, still... donations to EwA are always welcomed! » Donate at https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate

————————————

“Stop the Pipeline to Extinction” Action
Tuesday, June 11
1:45-3:30pm
Dartmouth Street, across from Back Bay T station, Boston
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/no-pipeline-extinction-rally/ or https://www.facebook.com/events/393639111362317/

Together we can stop the #PipelineToExtinction! Join us this Tuesday to stand up to the fossil fuel industry, and envision the future we want to build - complete with art, singing, dancing, and chalking the sidewalks with our ideas for the future.
Industry, media, and the government must #TellTheTruth and #ActNow on the climate crisis. We cannot rely on natural (methane) gas to bridge us to a livable future, and we must immediately begin a rapid transition to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions.

————————————

Underland:  A Deep Time Journey
Tuesday, June 11
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes celebrated writer ROBERT MACFARLANE—author of Landmarks and The Old Ways—for a discussion of his latest book, Underland: A Deep Time Journey. He will be joined in conversation by Pulitzer Prize-winning art critic and author SEBASTIAN SMEE. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

About Underland
Robert Macfarlane takes us on an extraordinary journey into our relationship with darkness, burial, and what lies beneath the surface of both place and mind. Traveling through "deep time"—the dizzying expanses of geologic time that stretch away from the present—he moves from the birth of the universe to a post-human future, from the prehistoric art of Norwegian sea caves to the blue depths of the Greenland ice cap, from Bronze Age funeral chambers to the catacomb labyrinth below Paris, and from the underground fungal networks through which trees communicate to a deep-sunk "hiding place" where nuclear waste will be stored for 100,000 years to come.

Woven through Macfarlane's own travels are the unforgettable stories of descents into the underland made across history by explorers, artists, cavers, divers, mourners, dreamers, and murderers, all of whom have been drawn for different reasons to seek what Cormac McCarthy calls "the awful darkness within the world." Global in its geography and written with great lyricism and power, Underland speaks powerfully to our present moment. Taking a deep-time view of our planet, Macfarlane here asks a vital and unsettling question: "Are we being good ancestors to the future Earth?" Underland marks a new turn in Macfarlane's long-term mapping of the relations of landscape and the human heart.

———————————

Our Non-Christian Nation: How Atheists, Satanists, Pagans, and Others Are Demanding Their Rightful Place in Public Life
Tuesday June 11
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Jay Wexler in conversation with Lucien Greaves
In Our Non-Christian Nation, Jay Wexler travels the country to engage the non-Christians who have called on us to maintain our ideals of inclusivity and diversity. As Wexler reminds us, anyone who cares about pluralism, equality, and fairness should support a public square filled with a variety of religious and nonreligious voices. The stakes are nothing short of long-term social peace.

A Professor at Boston University School of Law, Jay Wexler is also a humorist, short story writer, and novelist. A one-time clerk to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and former lawyer at the US Department of Justice, he has written for National Geographic, The Boston Globe, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, Salon, and many other outlets. His books include When God Isn’t Green (2016) and Holy Hullabaloos.

————————————

100 Side Hustles: Chris Guillebeau & Friends in Boston
Tuesday, June 11
7 PM – 8:30 PM
The Harvard Coop, 1400 Mass Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://sidehustleschool.com/tour/cambridge-ma

Join me for an interactive gathering with other awesome people! This is a FREE event, but please make sure to RSVP by signing up on the site. And be sure to invite your friends! There might even be cupcakes.

HOW IT WORKS
It’s not just a book tour, it’s an interactive roadshow. You’ll hear stories and go away with action steps.

Ever since I started Side Hustle School, a lot of people have told me that their biggest challenge is finding the right idea. My new book, 100 SIDE HUSTLES, is all about highlighting all kinds of unexpected and unconventional ways that people can make money.

—————————————

Joseph Warren Biography: Author Lecture and Signing
Tuesday, June 11
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Charlestown Historical Foundation, 43 Monument Square, Charlestown
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/joseph-warren-biography-author-lecture-and-signing-tickets-63025815912

Author and historian Christian di Spigna will discuss his new book “Founding Martyr: The Life and Death of Dr. Joseph Warren, the American Revolution’s Lost Hero.”

A prominent Boston physician, Dr. Joseph Warren was a key force in America’s revolutionary movement. He is responsible for setting Paul Revere on his famous ride, served in the Sons of Liberty with such leaders as John Hancock and Samuel Adams, and made the ultimate sacrifice for the cause when—although commissioned a Major General—he volunteered to fight alongside soldiers in the Battle of Bunker Hill.

The book focuses on newly discovered Warren material culture pieces, artifacts, and primary source documents. Di Spignal will deconstruct the many Warren legends and explore his resistance activities between 1765-1775.

Di Spigna graduated with a degree in history from Columbia University where he began his research on Warren 20 years ago. To immerse himself in 18th century history, Di Spigna moved to Williamsburg, Virginia, volunteered for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, and worked closely with many period scholars

——————————
Wednesday, June 12
——————————

Realizing the Economic Impacts of Energy Efficiency in Pennsylvania
Wednesday, June 12
12:00 - 1:00 PM ET
Webinar
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/#register/6616045537446714637

Energy efficiency is a power house job creator. Recent research from ACEEE finds that changes to Pennsylvania’s energy efficiency laws could deliver more than 30,000 jobs to the Commonwealth. What do these jobs look like, and how do we make them a reality? In this webinar, ACEEE and the Keystone Energy Efficiency Alliance will lay out the roadmap to creating jobs through expanded energy efficiency in Pennsylvania. We’ll be joined by experts to learn how the economic development impacts of energy efficiency have already taken root across the state, offering new opportunities for business investments and workforce development.

——————————————

Social Impact on Tap: Collaborative Happy Hour with Community Boost
Wednesday, June 12
5:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Hopsters Brewing Company, 51 Sleeper Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-impact-on-tap-collaborative-happy-hour-with-community-boost-tickets-62745963867

Let’s continue the “Collaborative Spirit” over free beer and appetizers courtesy of Community Boost Consulting. The Community Boost team is excited to invite a select group of high impact Collaborative attendees to meet one another, network and discuss scaling social good.

The Community Boost Happy Hour will be held at Hopsters, Boston's first and only community craft brewery. Free appetizers and drink tickets will be passed out to those that register in advance.

We will see you there!

Your Hosts: The Community Boost Consulting team are Classy Collaborative veterans, and are proudly both Classy Certified Partners and Google Ad Grant Certified partners. Based in sunny San Diego, Community Boost’s purpose-driven team now serves over 100 forward-thinking nonprofits that are committed to scaling online revenue and impact. Community Boost is trusted by: The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, the Trevor Project, Days for Girls, Humane Societies, United Ways and many more.

The Community Boost team is excited to announce the launch of a new service offering: Social Impact Measurement at this event.

—————————————

Pitch Night 2019: The Future of HealthTech
Wednesday, June 12
5:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
OBERON, 2 Arrow Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pitch-night-2019-the-future-of-healthtech-tickets-61902087811

What is the future of HealthTech? Boston is the birthplace of some of the sector’s most impactful ideas, but how do the local early stage startups stack up against their counterparts across the globe?

Join us at OBERON for Pitch Night 2019, where 10 of Switzerland’s most promising young HealthTech startups will pitch their ideas alongside their counterparts from North America, including some of the Boston area’s favorite early Life Sciences startups.

This isn’t your standard pitch event.

20 startups. 1 minute to pitch. 2 winners - a jury selection and an audience favorite. Join us for a drink, a live jazz band and fast-paced competition. This is your chance to mingle with the local and international HealthTech ecosystem, get a glimpse of the latest HealthTech innovations and meet the swissnex Boston team.
Event presented by swissnex Boston and VentureLab with support from Hansjörg Wyss.
Program support provided by the following partners:

Agenda
5:30 pm Arrival and networking
6:00 pm Program begins
6:20 pm Round 1: 20 one-minute pitches
7:15 pm Round 2: Round 1 winners answer the jury’s secret question
7:35 pm Public prize and jury prize awarded
8:00 pm Networking reception

Meet the startups
From Switzerland:
4D Lifetec AG | Arne-Christian Faisst
Unreliable tumor detection leads to unspecific therapy. 4D Lifetec is developing a fast, cost-effective and more precise assay to help identify lung and prostate cancers earlier. The company's liquid biopsy assay device is currently undergoing clinical testing.

Juvabis AG | Sven Hobbie | ETH Zurich
Drug-resistant bacteria are a threat to modern medicine. Juvabis, a joint startup of the ETH and University of Zurich, is preparing its new, small-molecule antibiotic for clinical trials in humans this year.

Medyria AG | Mauro Sette
Aneurysm repairs prevent bloated blood vessels from bursting dangerously. These vital interventions have harmful side-effects. Medyria's sensor uses blood flow velocity to measure a catheter location, helping reduce the risk of spinal injuries during surgery.

Pattern BioSciences AG | Yaakov Benenson | ETH Zurich
Developing sophisticated drugs to increase the chance of effective cancer treatment by targeting combinations of molecules, instead of single molecules. The company’s lead candidate to treat liver cancer is in preclinical development.

Positrigo AG | Jannis Fischer | ETH Zurich
Alzheimer's affects 50 million people worldwide. PET scanners can reveal proteins linked to the disease 20 years before the cognitive effects are noticeable. Positrigo's scanner will reduce the cost tenfold, making precautionary scanning viable.

Resistell AG | Danuta Cichocka | EPF Lausanne
Developed a diagnostic device to identify the best antibiotic to treat a particular infection between 10- and 100-times faster. This reduces the cost of hospital infections and slows antibiotic resistance, by helping treat infection with the correct antibiotic first time.

Scailyte AG | Peter Nestorov | University of Basel
Single-cell analysis is tipped to become a key tool in biomedical research. Currently the industry can’t extract all the data from highly complex single-cells. Scailyte is developing AI-based data analytics to boost research, drug discovery and precision diagnostics.

Synendos Therapeutics | Andrea Chicca | University of Bern
Developing drugs to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and other neuropsychiatric disorders by modulating a new target. Restores natural brain functioning by inhibiting endocannabinoid transport across cell membranes. An effective, breakthrough therapy.

TOLREMO Therapeutics AG | Stefanie Flückiger-Mangual | ETH Zurich
Cancer drugs often lose their effectiveness over time, which makes tumors that require continuing treatment difficult to manage. TOLREMO’s new molecules eradicate drug resistant cancer cells at the start of a therapy, and can be combined with existing drugs.

Volumina Medical SA | Amélie Béduer | EPF Lausanne
Developed an injectable scaffolding that helps the body to rebuild after surgery. Enables the natural reconstruction of soft tissues, as well as glandular, connective and supporting tissues. First product will serve women’s reconstructive therapy after a mastectomy.

From North America:
Startups to be announced soon!

—————————————

George Greenstein: Quantum Strangeness
Wednesday, June 12
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Please join us in welcoming astrophysicist George Greenstein to MIT Press Bookstore, to discuss his upcoming book, Quantum Strangeness: Wrestling with Bell’s Theorem and the Ultimate Nature of Reality.

Quantum mechanics is one of the glories of our age. It has immeasurably altered our conception of the natural world. Its philosophical implications are earthshaking. But quantum mechanics steadfastly refuses to speak of many things; it deals in probabilities rather than giving explicit descriptions. It never explains. Astrophysicist George Greenstein has been both fascinated and confused by quantum mechanics for his entire career. In this book, he describes, engagingly and accessibly, his efforts to understand the enigma that is quantum mechanics.

George Greenstein is Sidney Dillon Emeritus Professor of Astronomy at Amherst College. He is the author of Frozen Star: Of Pulsars, Black Holes, and the Nature of Stars, The Symbiotic Universe: Life and Mind in the Cosmos, The Quantum Challenge: Modern Research on the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics (with Arthur Zajonc), and other books.

——————————————

Startup Spotlight
Wednesday, June 12
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://mitefcamb.z2systems.com/np/clients/mitefcamb/eventRegistration.jsp?event=3333&_ga=2.141015284.773685060.1558579167-1895775866.1458499108
Cost:  $15 - $75

At the Startup Spotlight, you network your way through a curated group of startup demos with other like-minded tech-curious folks.

To be clear, this is not just another demo day/networking event! We want our audience to be involved by voting for their favorite startups in these categories:

Most likely to succeed with both a purpose and a profit: This award will go to the startup that has identified the impact they want to have on the world  – leading to profits and sustainable success.
Most likely to be a disruptor: This award will go to the startup that has the potential to significantly alter the way businesses or entire industries operate.
Most likely to win over a ‘crowd’: This award will go to the startup that has the most potential to raise big $ from their customers/the crowd.
Most likely to actually make the hockey stick chart a reality: This award will go to the startup that has the biggest potential to scale
In addition to the audience awards, we’ve invited guest Angel and VC judges to select their winner:

Nick Henderson, Keiretsu Forum
Chris Sklarin or Cainon Coates, Castor Ventures
Matt Thoms, Bolt
Anmol Wassan, Boston Harbor Angels
Startups who are selected to exhibit will have a table at District Hall to demo their product to over 300 attendees from the greater Boston innovation ecosystem.

For early-stage startups, this means you might meet prospective:

Mentors + Advisors
Strategic Partners
Investors
Team Members
Press Contacts

—————————————

Fake News Versus Fact:  Living in a Post-Truth World
Wednesday June 12
7 pm
Cambridge Forum, First Parish Church, 1446 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Cambridge Forum welcomes LEE MCINTYRE, Research Fellow at the Center for Philosophy and History of Science at Boston University, for a discussion of his book, Post-Truth, and the culture of misinformation and "fake news.”

About Post-Truth
Are we living in a post-truth world, where "alternative facts" replace actual facts and feelings have more weight than evidence? How did we get here? In this volume in the MIT Press Essential Knowledge series, Lee McIntyre traces the development of the post-truth phenomenon from science denial through the rise of "fake news," from our psychological blind spots to the public's retreat into "information silos."
What, exactly, is post-truth? Is it wishful thinking, political spin, mass delusion, bold-faced lying? McIntyre analyzes recent examples—claims about inauguration crowd size, crime statistics, and the popular vote—and finds that post-truth is an assertion of ideological supremacy by which its practitioners try to compel someone to believe something regardless of the evidence.

Yet post-truth didn't begin with the 2016 election; the denial of scientific facts about smoking, evolution, vaccines, and climate change offers a road map for more widespread fact denial. Add to this the wired-in cognitive biases that make us feel that our conclusions are based on good reasoning even when they are not, the decline of traditional media and the rise of social media, and the emergence of fake news as a political tool, and we have the ideal conditions for post-truth.

McIntyre also argues provocatively that the right wing borrowed from postmodernism— specifically, the idea that there is no such thing as objective truth—in its attacks on science and facts. McIntyre argues that we can fight post-truth, and that the first step in fighting post-truth is to understand it.

"This is a gem of a short treatise. Lee McIntyre's Post-Truth is a perfect counter to a problem that has erupted in our national consciousness―alternative facts. McIntyre's enumerated suggestions on how we must all be our own fact checkers in this post-truth age should be taped to the computer keyboard of every journalist, politician, and reader in America, before the next election." ―Michael Shermer, Skeptic Magazine

—————————
Thursday, June 13
—————————

A Forum on Climate and Waterfront Development
Thursday, June 13
9:00 AM – 1:00 PM EDT
Boston Society of Architects/AIA, 290 Congress Street, Fort Point Room, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-forum-on-climate-and-waterfront-development-tickets-61936573960

The Boston waterfront is growing - and so is the pressure to promote actions that will make coastal lands resilient to climate change and to protect the public's access to Boston Harbor. Join Conservation Law Foundation and Boston Harbor Now for a forum to discuss the climate change challenges facing waterfront development. We will discuss the findings from CLF's recent report, “Climate Change and the Massachusetts Public Waterfront Act,” and discuss what steps, including regulatory changes, may be necessary to encourage climate adaptation on Boston’s waterfront and protection of the public realm.

The forum will feature a broad range of panelists from the regulatory, business, community, and development sectors to discuss current challenges to waterfront development in Boston and across Massachusetts. Learn how we can update our regulatory framework to ensure that waterfronts in Massachusetts are safe, sustainable, and accessible for all.
Space is limited, so please register today. Lunch will be provided.

PROGRAM
8:45 am: Coffee and Check-in
*Program will begin promptly at 9*
9:00 am: Welcome and Introduction
Bradley M. Campbell, President, Conservation Law Foundation
9:15 am: Opening Remarks
Commissioner Martin Suuberg, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
9:30 am: Presentation: Climate Change and the Public Waterfront Act, Future Challenges and Opportunities
Peter Shelley – Senior Counsel, Conservation Law Foundation
Deanna Moran – Director of Environmental Planning, Conservation Law Foundation
Heather Miller – Staff Attorney, Conservation Law Foundation
10:30 am: Break
10:45 am: Panel Discussion I: The Public Agency and Technical Perspective, Incorporating Climate into Regulation
Ben Lynch - Waterways Program Chief, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
Richard McGuinness - Deputy Director for Waterfront Planning, Boston Planning and Development Agency
Barbara Landau - Attorney, Noble, Wickersham & Heart LLP
Jamie Fay – President, Fort Point Associates
Moderated by Bud Ris – Boston Green Ribbon Commission
11:30: Lunch provided
12:00 pm: Panel Discussion II: The Private Sector Experience: Resiliency and the Public Waterfront
Jill Valdes Horwood - Director of Policy, Boston Harbor Now
Nick Iselin - General Manager, Lendlease
Rick Dimino - President & CEO, A Better City
Nasser Brahim - Senior Planner, Kleinfelder
Moderated by Julie Wormser - Deputy Director, Mystic River Watershed Association
12:45 pm: Closing Remarks
 Kathy Abbott, President & CEO, Boston Harbor Now

————————————

The State of Life Science Innovation: Navigating Threats to Growth
Thursday, June 13
11:00 AM – 1:30 PM EDT
JLABS @ LabCentral, 700 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-state-of-life-science-innovation-navigating-threats-to-growth-tickets-61105103008

We Work for Health Mass., incubate, and NEVCA will host a panel discussion on life science innovation during today's political environment.

Panel 1: Capital for Cures – The Challenge for Life Science Start-Ups
11:00 – 11:45 AM
Panel 1 will include local entrepreneurs in the biotech space who can discuss the treatments and cures they are researching, as well as local VCs who can discuss the quest for VC dollars.
Panel 2: Advancing Life Science Breakthroughs in Today’s Political Environment
12:30 – 1:15 PM
Panel 2 will feature local and national speakers detailing the threats to innovation on the state and federal level and the need for honest dialogue.

————————————

The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society
Thursday, June 13
12pm EDT
Webinar
RSVP at https://www.leaderjam.com/WebinarStatic/view/40

with Nicholas Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH
Hope Collaborative is excited to announce our co-sponsorship of a free webinar with Dr. Nicholas Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, hosted  on the LeaderJam platform.

In his new book Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society, Nicholas Christakis introduces the compelling idea that our genes affect not only our bodies and behaviors, but also the ways in which we make societies, ones that are surprisingly similar worldwide. Kevin Sheehan, the executive director of Hope Collaborative, will interview Nicholas Christakis about his work and it's relationship to the modern world, focusing on leadership and developing leaders. If society, in fact or genes, trend towards goodness, what are the implications for education, leadership development, and our collective vision of building great futures.

In the interview, we will explore:
The major ideas in Nicholas Christakis' new book that provide powerful insight into how the education and development of leaders globally can be informed by Christakis' fascinating discoveries.
The implications of "Blueprint" for a modern world that yearns for purpose and natural paths to impact and essential goodness.

How leaders can leverage this breakthrough information in 2019 to develop and work better together--and with youth-- with a shared set of values that transcend culture, geography, philosophy, and politics.
Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, is a sociologist and physician who conducts research in the areas of social networks and bio-social science. He directs the Human Nature Lab. His current research is mainly focused on two topics: (1) the social, mathematical, and biological rules governing how social networks form (“connection”), and (2) the social and biological implications of how they operate to influence thoughts, feelings, and behaviors (“contagion”).

His lab uses both observational and experimental methods to study these phenomena, exploiting techniques from sociology, computer science, bio-social science, demography, statistics, behavior genetics, evolutionary biology, epidemiology, and other fields. To the extent that diverse phenomena can spread within networks in intelligible ways, there are important policy implications since such spread can be exploited to improve the health or other desirable properties of groups (such as cooperation or innovation). Hence, current work in the lab involves conducting field experiments: some work involves the use of large-scale, online network experiments; other work involves large-scale randomized controlled trials in the developing world where networks are painstakingly mapped. Finally, some work in the lab examines the biological determinants and consequences of social interactions and related phenomena, with a particular emphasis on the genetic origins and evolutionary implications of social networks.

—————————————

Holistic Sustainability Webinar
Thursday, June 13
1:00-2:00pm
Webinar
RSVP by email to jcan.intern at gmail.com

Join a conversation to explore the concept of Holistic Sustainability. Discuss the possible options for congregational action and the need to provide people with doable actions that fit with their passions and skills. Rabbi Katy Allen, JCAN-MA President pro-tem will facilitate the conversation and explain the JCAN Holistic Sustainability model.

—————————————

Bos/Tech Jam
Thursday, June 13
4:00-9:00PM
City Hall Plaza, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-techjam-tickets-58591665248
Cost:  $20 - $500

Massachusetts has the world’s greatest concentration of entrepreneurs, emerging and leading tech companies, top-tier academic institutions and students, world-class venture capitalists, incubators, and an eco-system of supporting service providers. There is no better place on earth to launch and scale innovative ideas that tackle the toughest challenges. We’re about real and meaningful innovations that change the world. Boston TechJam is a time when we all come together -from every corner of our innovation economy- to celebrate and accelerate our leading position. It’s a collaboration between local tech companies, leading industry groups, the City of Boston, and you.

Celebrating our 7th year on June 13th, 2019 we are excited to see thousands of members of the community descend on City Hall Plaza once again!

————————————

InspireCommunityImpact: Café Night at District Hall
Thursday, June 13
5:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/inspirecommunityimpact-cafe-night-at-district-hall-tickets-60540799160

On Thursday, June 13th, District Hall will host inspireCOMMUNITYIMPACTCafé Night, bringing together change-makers, impact-leaders, and entrepreneurs committed to making a positive impact, as part of our “Changing Face of Innovation” Café Night series (sponsored by Blue Hills Bank Foundation and BREX).
Whether you are searching for community, hands-on workshops, or a learning space to hear from experienced leaders on topics around mobilization and social leadership, this event is the perfect place for you to network, grow, and be inspired!
Registration is required. Join us for a wonderful evening of conversations with #inspirecommunityimpact #dhcafenight #districthall Don't forget to follow us on social media for updates!
*By registering for this event, you agree to share the information provided to District Hall and sponsors of this event.

AGENDA:
5:30pm Doors open. Guests are invited to check out the demo tables in the lounge:
Social Venture Partners (SVP) Boston
Dress For Success
Community Servings
Economic Mobility Pathways (EMPath)
Adaptive Sports
Millie
GRIT Freedom Chair
GiveCard
Boston GLOW
Boston Youth Wrestling
InHerWords
Year Up
Net Impact Boston
Rescuing Leftover Cuisine
Social Innovation Forum
Inner City Weightlifting
6:30 - 7:30pm Main Panel
Susan Musinsky, Executive Director at Social Innovation Forum
David Waters, CEO at Community Servings
Jessie Cronan, Executive Director at Social Venture Partners Boston
Janaial Robinson, Director of Operations at Dress for Success Boston
Jessica Mason, CEO at the Social Impact Studio (moderator)
7:45 - 8:45pm Workshops
Jessica Mason, the Social Impact Studio
Jeanne Dasaro and Chanel Thervil, the Art Connection
9:00pm  Event concludes

District Hall's quarterly Café Nights gathering is designed to emphasize innovation across industries, foster collaboration, strengthen connections, and make great ideas come to life. All of our Café Nights are free and open to the public.

————————————

Getting to the Point with Congressman Seth Moulton
Thursday, June 13
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, 210 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-to-the-point-with-congressman-seth-moulton-tickets-61940459582

Congressman Seth Moulton will participate in a moderated Getting to the Point conversation to share his vision for a new generation of leadership as a candidate for President of the United States. Congressman Moulton’s appearance is part of a series of Kennedy Institute events focused on the 2020 election cycle.

Congressman Seth Moulton has represented the 6th Congressional district of Massachusetts since 2014. He was first called to service when he joined the Marines in 2001, for which he served four tours in Iraq. After returning home, Congressman Moulton earned joint graduate degrees in Business and Public Policy, and worked in the private sector to build the country’s first high speed rail line. In the U.S. House of Representatives, he serves as a member of the Budget Committee and Armed Services Committee.

————————————

Boston's Twentieth-Century Bicycling Renaissance
Thursday, June 13
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Boston Public Library, Central Library in Copley Square - Commonwealth Salon, 700 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bostons-twentieth-century-bicycling-renaissance-tickets-59544989667

How the 1970s brought us the great bicycling revival which still continues today

At the end of the nineteenth century, cycling’s popularity surged in the Boston area, but by 1900, the trend faded. Within the next few decades, automobiles became commonplace and roads were refashioned to serve them. Lorenz J. Finison presents the evolution and renaissance that local bicycling witnessed in the 1970s as concerns over physical and environmental health coalesced. Whether cyclists hit the roads on their way to work or to work out, went off-road in the mountains or to race via cyclocross and BMX, or took part in charity rides, biking was back in a major way.

Finison traces the city’s cycling history, chronicling the activities of environmental and social justice activists, stories of women breaking into male-dominated professions by becoming bike messengers and mechanics, and challenges faced by African American cyclists. Making use of newspaper archives, newly discovered records of local biking organizations, and interviews with Boston-area bicyclists and bike builders, Boston’s Twentieth­ Century Bicycling Renaissance brings these voices and battles back to life.

Lorenz J. Finison is a founding member of Cycling Through History and author of Boston’s Cycling Craze, 1880–1900: A Story of Race, Sport, and Society.

————————————

Boston Climate Action Network - Action Team Meeting
Thursday, June 27
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
First Baptist Church, 633 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-climate-action-network-action-team-meeting-tickets-54297385943

We're working towards fighting climate change through improved energy policy and education at the local level in Boston. The BCAN Action Team meeting is a great way to get directly involved in the effort to combat climate change in the era of Trump. We gather twice per month on the 2nd and 4th Thursday from 6:00-8pm at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain.

Come meet the Communications Team, the Arts Team, and other dedicated climate campaigners to learn how you can help us plan outreach for the Community Choice Energy campaign.

————————————

Developing Robotics Tech Today and Tomorrow
Thursday, June 13
6:15 pm - 9:30 pm
CIC, 50 Milk Street 16th floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.hardwarepioneers.com/2019-events/boston/talks-and-demo/developing-robotics-tech-today-and-tomorrow
Limited to : 300 participants

Robots are already in use everywhere. There is no doubt that robotics technology has been reported as the most innovative and disruptive across industries. Join us on June 13th to learn more about how robotics is shaping the high tech landscape directly from:
A global technology leader that enables advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, and the home (TE Connectivity).
An American multinational semiconductor company specialising in data conversion and signal processing technology (Analog Devices).
A company who creates a way for industrial robots and people to work safely together (Veo Robotics).

Speaker 1: Ricardo Hernandez, Industry Marketing Manager - Motion Control / Robotics at TE Connectivity
Talk Title: Reliable Connectivity in Motion Control & Robotic Design: A System Approach
About the speaker: B.Sc. in Mechatronics Engineering. Specialises in Large Factory Automation Mechatronic – Robotic System Integration. Previously worked in Business Development at Bosch Rexroth focusing on heavy payload – highly dynamic Mechatronic Systems involving Fully Electric and Hybrid Servo Hydraulic Motion Control to provide smarter and more energy efficient solutions.
About the company: TE Connectivity Ltd. is a$14 billion global technology and manufacturing leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive, and connected future. For more than 75 years, our connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, have enabled advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications, and the home. With 80,000 employees, including more than 8,000 engineers, working alongside customers in approximately 140 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS.
Video: How it Works: Cyborgs | Alita: Battle Angel
Video: Discover ENTRELEC Terminal Blocks: Built to Withstand Extreme Conditions

Speaker 2: Nicola OByrne, Connected Motion and Robotics Marketing Manager at Analog Devices
Talk Title: Technologies Advancing Industrial Robotics
About the speaker: Nicola is the Strategic Marketing Manager for the Connected Motion and Robotics business unit in Analog Devices. She has been with ADI for 23 years with technical expertise in analog to digital converter technology and motion control and robotic systems. She holds a number of patents and has spoken at multiple ADI conferences and industry forums.
About the company: Analog Devices (Nasdaq: ADI) is a leading global high-performance analog technology company dedicated to solving the toughest engineering challenges. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure, power, connect and interpret.
Video: Hands of the Engineer
Video: Infrared Light Angle Sensor in Robotics

Speaker 3: Lev Persits, Hardware Engineering Manager at Veo Robotics
Talk Title: Challenges of Designing Safety Rated ToF Cameras
About the speaker: Lev Persits is a Hardware Engineering Manager at Veo Robotics. He is proficient in many aspects of hardware design including high-speed interfaces and graphics. Lev has a B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and M.B.A.
About the company: Veo Robotics is transforming manufacturing by bringing perception and intelligence to industrial robots. Its technology brings advanced computer vision and 3D sensing to high-performance industrial robots, allowing them to work side-by-side with humans in manufacturing settings. Learn more by watching their video.

Agenda
6:15 pm  Attendee check-in, drinks and networking.
6:50 pm  Event opening.
7:00 pm  Talk and Q&A: "Reliable Connectivity in Motion Control & Robotic Design: A System Approach".
Ricardo Hernandez - Industry Marketing Manager - Motion Control / Robotics at TE Connectivity
7:20 pm  Talk and Q&A: "Technologies Advancing Industrial Robotics".
Nicola OByrne - Marketing Manager Motor & Power Control at Analog Devices
7:40 pm  Talk and Q&A: "Challenges of Designing Safety Rated ToF Cameras".
Lev Persits - Hardware Engineering Manager at Veo Robotics
8:00 pm  Community announcements: This is the time for you to share with the rest of the room what you are working on  or make any sort of announcement you like. You have 2 minutes max for a short shoutout.
8:20 pm  Drinks and networking.
9:30 pm  Event ends.

————————————

White Lives Matter: An honest conversation around race, culture + being Black in Boston
Thursday, June 13
6:30pm-8:30pm
Black Market 2136 Washington Street, Roxbury
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/white-lives-matter-an-honest-conversation-around-race-culture-being-black-in-boston-tickets-60578234129

A year ago today in 2018, the owners of Black Market, Kai and Christopher Grant discovered racist graffiti on the outside wall of their business as they were preparing for their Spring Grand Opener.

As Founders of what is becoming an established Roxbury-based institution focused on Economic Justice, Arts and Culture, and Civic Engagement, they are circling back to address the White Elephant in the room: Being Black in Boston.
We have heard the following narrative many times: "Boston is the most racist city in the country"... along with "There is great residential segregation along racial lines in Boston"...in addition the Boston Globe spotlight series chronicling the $247,500 wealth gap between white indiginous Bostonians and Black indiginous Bostonians who have $8 dollars worth of assets.

What we have not dicussed are the effects and grave consequences that frame and shape the Black Identity in Boston and how it can take a grave toll on our everyday existence.

We will explore What it feels like being Black in Boston when the majority erase your melanin in the quest to be perceived as "not-a-racist" through confessions of color-blindness?

We will upack what it's like to be Black in Boston when the majority of the land in your neighborhood, which is known as the epicenter of the Black Community in Boston, is owned by Institutions, Developers or Landlords that have little to no desire to help build upwardly mobile households and businesses.

We will strive to uncover why it is that in 2019 the Being Black in Boston still means being the ONLY Black person in a room of 500+, being the only Black person in a cooperate office or being the 1st Black person to become Chief of higher offices.

Some of the difficult questions that will be asked to our panel:
Why aren't the contributions of Black Boston celebrated as a win for the entire city and instead, looked upon as DIVISIVE OR RACIALLY SEPARATING?
What is the resposibility of white residents to dismantle the system or White Supremacy in our City?
What role do the leaders of the Black Community play in regards to preparing the next generation to disrupt the historic patterns of this system?
What are some of the ways we cope with the trauma, and reestablish our Human-ness as we navigate Being Black in Boston?
Where are the safe spaces for repreive those for are Blacks in Boston?
Why isn't there comfortability in Blacks in Boston expressing pride in their culture and racial identity? Especially when everyone loves the St. Patty's day parade, excursions to China Town or Little Italy (the North End)?
Why it is important for Black Market to host these honest conversations? We believe it is healthy to fearlessly confront issues that directly impact our business, our neighborhood and communities that address how we create pathways for a more balanced and equitable ONE BOSTON.
Although this dialogue will challenge the ONE BOSTON ethos to its' core, the ultimate goal and expectation is that the ONE BOSTON declaration ring true for those who have to deal with systemic economic injustice, cultural incompentency and racial undertones/microagressions on a daily basis.

Join us as we move the equity conversation forward in 2019.....

————————————

Everyday Chaos:  Technology, Complexity, and How We're Thriving in a New World of Possibility
Thursday, June 13
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

This event is free; no tickets are required.
Harvard Book Store welcomes pioneering internet thought leader DAVID WEINBERGER for a discussion of his latest book, Everyday Chaos: Technology, Complexity, and How We're Thriving in a New World of Possibility.

About Everyday Chaos
Artificial intelligence, big data, modern science, and the internet are all revealing a fundamental truth: The world is vastly more complex and unpredictable than we've allowed ourselves to see.
Now that technology is enabling us to take advantage of all the chaos it's revealing, our understanding of how things happen is changing—and with it, our deepest strategies for predicting, preparing for, and managing our world. This affects everything, from how we approach our everyday lives to how we make moral decisions and how we run our businesses.

Through stories from history, business, and technology, philosopher and technologist David Weinberger finds the unifying truths lying below the surface of the tools we take for granted—and a future in which our best strategy often requires holding back from anticipating and instead creating as many possibilities as we can. The book’s imperative for business and beyond is simple: Make. More. Future.

————————————

How to Fall in Love with a Coral
Thursday, June 13
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Simons IMAX Theatre New England Aquarium, 1 Central Wharf, Boston
RSVP at xhttp://support.neaq.org/site/Calendar?id=107966&view=Detail

Joanie Kleypas, Senior Scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, and Founder of Raising Coral Costa Rica
Coral reefs were once thought of as indestructible, but we are now losing corals at an ever-faster pace. Halting the loss of coral reefs depends on two major lines of action: keeping global temperature rise to less than 1.5°C and actively restoring coral reefs through propagation of climate-resilient corals and “replanting” them on damaged reefs. Joanie Kleypas will provide the latest information on the coral reef crisis and discuss her project in Costa Rica to raise corals and how it has changed her relationships with coral reefs and people.

About Joanie Kleypas
Joanie thinks a lot about the oceans, coral reefs, and climate change. She has worked on coral reefs for more than 30 years, including trying to understand how climate change and ocean acidification will shape the future state of coral reefs. She has worked for years with oceanographic modelers to look for “climate refugia” for coral populations. She continues to pursue that work, but the refugia are getting smaller and it’s clear that traditional ways to conserve coral reefs will not be enough. So she recently started an active reef restoration project on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Getting back in the water has been a positive and practical way to work on solutions for coral reefs. The project is also proving to be surprisingly effective in communicating about climate change with the public.

These programs are made possible due to the generous support of the Lowell Institute. Founded in 1836 with a mission to inform the populace regardless of gender, race, or economic status, the Lowell Institute has reached thousands of Boston-area residents by sponsoring free public lecture

————————————

2019 Climate & Energy Advocacy Training
Thursday, June 13
7 pm to 9 pm
Temple Beth Elohim, 10 Bethel Road, Wellesley
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenzQYkGBXRc9VtmD4ZhHAshswDUsN1FxkfXrznhEY7AiR9gw/viewform

Presented by the Massachusetts Sierra Club and Mass Power Forward Coalition. This training will provide a valuable update on clean energy, climate, and environmental justice priorities for this legislative session and share action steps and tools you can use to help move these priorities forward.

This training will
outline key legislation to expand renewable energy and reduce climate pollution in MA
explain why equity and environmental justice matter
share action steps you can take to engage effectively with officials
answer your questions about the clean energy
Join us for this informative evening/ No prior experience required!

Registration requested.  Please use this Sign-Up link.

Co-sponsors include Temple Beth Elohim Green Team, UU Wellesley Hills, Sustainable Wellesley, Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action, Jewish Climate Action Network

————————
Friday, June 14
————————

Summer Symposium 2019: Machine Learning and Cancer
Friday, June 14
8:00am to 5:00pm
MIT Kresge Auditorium 48 Massachusetss Ave (Rear), W-16, Cambridge

Machine Learning and Cancer
The 18th Annual Koch Institute Summer Symposium on June 14, 2019 at MIT's Kresge Auditorium will focus on Machine Learning and Cancer.

Both fields are undergoing dramatic changes, and their integration holds great promise for cancer research, diagnostics, and therapeutics. Cancer treatment and research have advanced rapidly with an increasing reliance on data-driven decisions. The volume, complexity, and diversity of research and clinical data—from genomics and single-cell molecular and image-based profiles to histopathology, clinical imaging, and medical records—far surpasses the capacity of individual scientists and physicians. However, they offer a remarkable opportunity to new approaches for data science and machine learning to provide holistic and intelligible interpretations to trained experts and patients alike. These advances will make it possible to provide far better diagnostics, discover possible chemical pathways for de novo synthesis of therapeutic compounds, predict accurately the risk of individuals for development of specific cancers years before metastatic spread, and determine the combination of agents that  will stimulate immune rejection of a tumor or selectively induce the death of all cells in a tumor.

The symposium will address these issues through three sessions:
Machine Learning in Cancer Research: the Need and the Opportunity
Machine Learning to Decipher Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms in Cancer
Machine Learning into the Clinic

Sessions will be followed by a panel discussion of broadly informed experts moderated by MIT President Emerita Susan Hockfield.
Introductory remarks will be given by symposium co-chairs and Koch Institute faculty members Regina Barzilay, Aviv Regev and Phillip Sharp.
Keynote Speakers | Machine Learning in Cancer Research: the Need and the Opportunity
James P. Allison, PhD, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Regina Barzilay, PhD, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT
Aviv Regev, PhD, Broad Institute, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT

Session Speakers
Michael R. Angelo, MD, PhD, Stanford Unviersity
Andrew Beck, PathAI
Stephen H. Friend, MD, PhD, Sage Bionetworks
Tommi Jaakkola, PhD, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab
Dana Pe’er, PhD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Peter Sorger, PhD, Harvard Medical School
Olga Troyanskaya, PhD, Princeton University
Brian Wolpin, MD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Panel Discussion | Big Data, Computation and the Future of Health Care
James (Jay) Bradner, MD, Novartis
Aine Hanly, PhD, Amgen
Clifford A. Hudis, MD, American Society of Clinical Oncology
Constance D. Lehman, MD, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital
David Schenkein , MD, Google Ventures
Moderator: Susan Hockfield, PhD, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT

———————————

Urban Farming Redefined: Tour the New Freight Farms Greenery™
Friday, June 14
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Freight Farms, 46 Plympton Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-farming-redefined-tour-the-new-freight-farms-greenerytm-tickets-62667375808

We're transforming unused space in Boston's South End into an urban farming hub! Come tour the Greenery™, the most advance hydroponic container farm on the market, and get inspired about the future of small-space indoor agriculture.
We'll be opening our office to the Boston community for a Freight Farms Happy Hour, featuring refreshments and great conversations with the Freight Farms team and fellow sustainable farming-enthusiasts. We will have a short presentation at 6:30pm about the evolution of the container farm, and how six years of research, design, and testing have shaped the Greenery.

—————————
Saturday, June 15
—————————

DayCon 2019: The Art of Science
Saturday, June 15
10 am to 4:30 pm
Harvard, Northwest Building, 52 Oxford Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd6x8MKnbQMyi4gH1V--krRA01EtzY6Yqp6GukhEx9NziKEtA/viewform

DayCon is a free, daylong science conference consisting of talks and interactive demonstrations given by graduate student scientists. This year’s talks are:
Design and materials in architecture
Symmetry: The beauty in art and fundamental physics
The science of color
The neuroscience of music perception
The art and science of electron diffraction
Exotic states and modes of light
Music therapy and the difference between noise and music
Imaging the X-ray Universe
The Art-Brain Connection: the science behind synesthesia
Personal stories at the intersection of science and art
Using science, and the study of insight, to understand the creative process

————————————

Charles River Swimming Day and Afterparty
Saturday, June 15
12pm - 4:30pm
Fiedler Dock, Charles River Esplanade, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-splash-2019-registration-61182170519
Cost:  $10
Afterparty
6pm - 8pm
Za Pizza Cambridge - Afterparty, 350 Third Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/afterparty-for-city-splash-2019-tickets-61176933856
Cost:  $30

You can now register for our City Splash community swim and afterparty, taking place on June 15th, 2019. The community swim will run from noon to 4:30 p.m. at Fiedler Dock on the DCR's Charles River Esplanade. Changing tents and a bag check will be available as well as dryland activities and food trucks. Afterwards, head across the river to Za Cambridge in Kendall Square for pizza, salad, and drinks at our Afterparty from 6 to 8 p.m. Registration for City Splash costs $10 and tickets to the Afterparty are $30. Save $5 if you register for both events by using the discount code provided after your first registration! We expect to sell out so don't delay--register for City Splash and purchase Afterparty tickets today!

—————————————

Futurefood
Saturday, June 15
1pm - 4pm
Cambridge Public Library, 449 Broadway, Cambridge

Matthew Battles, Keith Hartwig, and Jessica Yurkofsky of metaLAB offer “FUTUREFOOD,” an interactive culinary encounter. Sample honey toffee and a flight of honey waters prepared by chef Nate Phinisee. Learn about bee health and honey DNA from Best Bees, a local research and beekeeping company. Free.

—————————————

Guns Down: A Conversation with Igor Volsky on how to build a safer future with Fewer Guns
Saturday, June 15
7:00pm
Trident Booksellers, 338 Newbury Street, Boston

Igor Volsky will be speaking about the history of the gun violence prevention movement, where it's been, how it's evolved, and will read from his book on the subject. Igor argues that we know exactly what we must do to save lives and lays out the roadmap for achieving it. He will also be happy to take and answer questions.

About the Book
In Guns Down, Igor Volsky tells the story of how he took on the NRA just by using his Twitter account, describes how he found common ground with gun enthusiasts after spending two days shooting guns in the desert, and lays out a blueprint for how citizens can push their governments to reduce the number of guns in circulation and make firearms significantly harder to get. An aggressive licensing and registration initiative, federal and state buybacks of millions of guns, and tighter regulation of the gun industry, the gun lobby, and gun sellers will build safer communities for all. Volsky outlines a New Second Amendment Compact developed with policy experts from across the political spectrum, including bold reforms that have succeeded in reducing gun violence worldwide, and offers a road map for achieving transformative change to increase safety in our communities.

About the Author
Igor Volsky is the co-founder and executive director of Guns Down America, an organization dedicated to building a future with fewer guns. He made headlines in 2015 for shaming lawmakers who took money from the NRA and sent "thoughts and prayers" after mass shootings. A lively interlocutor, he has appeared on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, CNBC television, and many radio shows. The author of Guns Down: How to Defeat the NRA and Build a Safer Future with Fewer Guns (The New Press), he lives in Washington, DC.

————————
Sunday, June 16
————————

The Heat Planet - A New Approach to Climate with Christopher Haines
Sunday, June 16
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
1 Fayette Park, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Biodiversity-for-a-Livable-Climate/events/261681679/

We have been told since Charles Keeling's report to Jimmy Carter that excess greenhouse gas emissions cause climate change. A careful analysis of such emissions raises important questions about this hypothesis. While excess greenhouse gases do indeed cause harm, there are other very important causes of climate change that we have not pursued due to our narrow focus on greenhouse emissions.

This is good news because most real climate problems are local and can be improved directly and in relatively short time frames. Sea level rise will still be a global issue, but the cooling we can accomplish could slow that process. There are very real opportunities here and reasons for hope.

This meetup will discuss the background of how we got here, reveal the other significant causes of climate change, and discuss what we can do about it. Learn about a truly new and promising approach to climate!

Christopher Haines is a volunteer at Bio4Climate. A member of the Boston Society of Architects (BSA), he has a background in energy efficiency and resource management, and consulted on commercial and industry energy efficiency for about 20 years. He later expanded into offering a systemic view of resource management, including water and other resources that companies use.

Christopher has particular interests in regenerative architecture, and the role that the built environment plays in global warming.

What to bring
An item of food or drink to share, tending to the healthy and organic.

Important to know
Biodiversity for a Livable Climate is a small non-profit so a $10 donation is requested.

—————————
Monday, June 17
—————————

Webinar: 10 Agile Ideas Worth Sharing with Steven D. Eppinger
Monday, June 17
12:00pm to 1:00pm
RSVP at https://sdm.mit.edu/webinar-steven-d-eppinger-10-agile-ideas-worth-sharing/

Join us for a free webinar with Steven D. Eppinger, MIT Professor and SDM Faculty Co-Director.

About the Talk: Agile development has created a number of very effective practices through implementation largely in the software industry. Today, we are finding ways to adopt some of these agile techniques in other domains. This seminar will review a range of practices from spiral development in time-boxed sprints to various hybrids of agile combined with staged processes. With an eye toward application outside the realm of software, we will discuss how these techniques may be appropriately adjusted to suit specific development challenges. Of particular interest to the SDM community will be scaling agile processes to handle the planning and coordination demands of complex system development.

Steven D. Eppinger is Professor of Management Science at the MIT Sloan School of Management. He also holds the General Motors Leaders for Global Operations Chair and has a joint appointment in MIT’s Engineering Systems Division. He is currently the faculty co-director of the System Design and Management program.

————————————

The Green New Deal:  What Will It Take to Create a Clean Energy Economy That Works for Everyone?
Monday, June 17
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Nixon Peabody, 53 State Street, Boston
RSVP at ndubin at e2.org

with Philip Joran, Vice President, BW Research Partnership; Trinh Nguyen, Director, Bosotn Mayor's Office of Workforce Development;  Lara Skinner, Executive Director, The Worker Institute at Cornell University
Against a grim 12-year deadline to stave off the worst effects of climate change, the Green New Deal has emerged as a long-awaited solution to some, an example of government overreach to others, and as a lightning rod of attention to all. Among its many components, the resolution offers a vision for an equitable transition away from fossil fuels and toward clean, renewable energy. Can we cut through the noise around the Green New Deal to have a practical discussion of its possible economic effects? What are the workforce development requirements of a 21st-century clean energy economy and how might the Green New Deal help us achieve them? How do we envision a just and equitable transition from fossil fuels and what assistance might the Green New Deal offer toward creating one? And finally, what effect will sweeping policy change in Washington ultimately have in a city like Boston? Please join us a for a panel discussion where we tackle these lofty and difficult questions.

Lunch will be served.

About the Speakers:
Philip Jordan is the Vice-President of BW Research Partnership, leading the firm’s Massachusetts office. His work focuses on the impact of talent on economic prosperity and sustainable communities, and his personal passion is developing solutions that provide expanded opportunities for the most difficult to serve populations. Philip is an Associate Fellow at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University where he focuses his research and teaching on the future of work and implications for the U.S. and China. Philip has extensive experience studying the innovation economy, in particular, clean energy, water and environment, and ICT. He has authored dozens of reports including The United States Energy and Employment Report (USEER), The Solar Foundation's annual Solar Jobs Census, Natural Resources Canada / Eco Canada’s Energy Efficiency Labor Market Report, the Natural Resource Defense Council's American Wind Farms Report, Solar and Wind Labor Market  Analyses for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, statewide clean energy studies for more than 25 states, and numerous local reports for workforce boards, community colleges, and municipalities. He recently published a book with El Sevier on the global solar industry. Philip has worked in private industry, academia, and government, including the California Community Colleges, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the United States Senate.”

Trinh Nguyen is the Director of the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development (OWD), a division of the Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA). Prior to her role at OWD, Trinh served as Chief of Staff at the Boston Housing Authority. Trinh has over 24 years of experience in operations, programs, resource, and budget management. She has worked for the Urban League of Massachusetts, the Boston Women’s Fund, the Mayor’s Office of New Bostonians, and University of Massachusetts Boston. She is currently Chair of the Neighborhood Jobs Trust, a board member of the U.S. Conference of Mayors Workforce Development Council, and a board member of the Boston Educational Development Fund (BEDF). As Director of OWD, she has helped launch such initiatives as the Tuition-Free Community College Plan, City Academy, the Greater Boston American Apprenticeship Initiative, and Boston Saves, the city's children savings account program. Trinh holds dual graduate degrees and an MBA from MIT’s Sloan School of Management, was a community fellow at MIT's Department of Urban Planning, and serves as a Trustee of Bunker Hill Community College.

Lara Skinner is Executive Director of The Worker Institute at Cornell and Chair of the institute’s Labor Leading on Climate Initiative. Her research, writing, and labor education work focuses on workers and labor unions’ engagement in issues of sustainability, climate protection, and economic alternatives. She began her career in labor working with Oregon’s Farmworkers Union (Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste), the University of Oregon Labor Education and Research Center, and as an active member of the Graduate Teaching Fellows Federation, Local 3544. Skinner has worked for unions doing campaign research and policy development since 1999. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Oregon in 2010.

About E2:
E2 (Environmental Entrepreneurs) was founded in 2000 on the premise that what’s good for the environment is good for the economy, and that smart environmental policies promote economic growth. Since then we’ve grown from a small group of business people to a nationwide organization with nine regional chapters and members who work or do business in every state. What we have in common is this: We care about the economy AND the environment, and we’re willing to dedicate our time and our voices to support and protect both. Learn more about E2 at https://www.e2.org

—————————————

Stories From the Arab Spring: An Evening of Storytelling and Conversation
WHEN  Monday, June 17, 2019, 6 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Loeb Drama Center, 64 Brattle Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Special Events, Theater
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	The Middle East Initiative at Harvard Kennedy School, and the American Repertory Theater.
COST  Free
TICKET WEB LINK  https://americanrepertorytheater.org/shows-events/stories-from-the-arab-spring/
DETAILS  The American Repertory Theater welcomes you to "Stories From the Arab Spring: An Evening of Storytelling and Conversation" inspired by similar live storytelling event, "Palestinians, Live!," and A.R.T.’s current production, "We Live in Cairo."
Anyone is welcome to attend this event, both those who have and have not attended a performance of "We Live in Cairo." RSVPs requested. Refreshments and cash bar provided.
LINK  https://www.belfercenter.org/event/stories-arab-spring-evening-storytelling-and-conversation

—————————————

Into the Thaw: Stories from Antarctica with PRI's The World
Monday, June 17
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
PRX Podcast Garage, 267 Western Avenue, Rear, Allston
Boston

The future of coastal cities around the world depends on what happens to the thick sheet of ice that covers West Antarctica.

Thwaites Glacier is the linchpin of that entire ice sheet. It's melting fast, and if it collapses, it could trigger some 11 feet of sea level rise. Scientists fear this collapse may have already started.

This winter The World's environment reporter Carolyn Beeler spent two months embedded on a research vessel in Antarctica with scientists racing to better understand Thwaites. She lived with them on an icebreaker as they studied the glacier's past to try to predict its future. And she's now one of the few people on Earth to have seen this remote glacier.
Join us for an evening of photos, video and audio from Carolyn's reporting in Antarctica, as well as her stories from the front lines of climate change.

—————————————

This All-At-Onceness
Monday, June 17
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Local author Julie Schlack discusses her new book This All-at-Onceness with Cloe Axleson, editor of Congnoscenti.

In This All-at-Onceness, Julie Wittes Schlack takes us on her vivid, personal journey through the political and cultural movements that have shaped every generation from the Baby Boomers to the Parkland kids. She examines the unlikely and twisting relationship between idealism and engineering that has promised a future of progress and hope, but only occasionally delivered on it, and asks why.

Her tale begins in 1967, when both the Summer of Love and Our World, the first live broadcast to and from the entire globe, created a sense that a compassionate, progressive global village was in the making. Through the civil rights and ant-war movements to the birth of Second Wave feminism, from the wintery ‘70s to the shiny rise of corporate culture in the ‘80s, from the democratic early days of the Web to today’s social surveillance state, Wittes Schlack tells a story about idealistic energy and how it travels through time.

Personal and political, intimate and informative, bracing and comic, these linked essays take us to an abortion mill in rural Quebec, the Michigan home of numerous UFO sightings, an abandoned Shaker village, the dust-clogged air of garment sweatshops in Allentown, a philanthropic corporate breakfast, and a series of dystopian market research conferences. They ask: Are we at the gates of the digital Promised Land? Or are we exiles wandering in the desert with only tweeting Kardashians for company?

Julie Wittes Schlack is a writer and teacher. Her fiction and essays have appeared in numerous journals such as Shenandoah, The Writer’s Chronicle, Ninth Letter, and Mashable. She reviewed books for the Boston Globe and is a regular contributor to Cognoscenti, an online journal of ideas and opinions.

Cloe Axelson is editor of WBUR’s opinion page, Cognoscenti. She previously worked for several nonprofit organizations, most recently as the director of communications for City Year and Match Education. She’s also worked as a speechwriter at the Democratic National Committee, a ghostwriter for a best-selling self-help author and as a grassroots organizer on political campaigns.

————————————

Paris to Pittsburgh
Monday, June 17
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
ANC Community Room, North Hall, 1651 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/62436536361

From coastal cities to America’s heartland, “Paris to Pittsburgh” celebrates how Americans are demanding and developing real solutions in the face of climate change. As the weather grows more deadly and destructive they aren’t waiting for Washington to act.

GET INSPIRED! Join Cambridge Mothers Out Front to learn how communities are stepping up to climate change challenges…let’s all be part of the solution. LIMITED SEATING: reserve your ticket now!
https://ma.mothersoutfront.org/cambridge
questions? contact dmartin62886 at gmail.com

—————————————

JP Solar Happy Hour June
Monday, June 17
7:00 PM – 10:00 PM EDT
Turtle Swamp Brewing, 3377 Washington Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jp-solar-happy-hour-june-tickets-62182041159

June gathering of solar and allied professionals in JP

—————————
Tuesday, June 18
—————————

Precision Medicine 2019: Can AI Accelerate Precision Medicine?
Tuesday, June 18
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
Joseph B. Martin Conference Center, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/precision-medicine-2019-can-ai-accelerate-precision-medicine-registration-59188217552

Visit the Department of Biomedical Informatics website at
https://dbmi.hms.harvard.edu/events/precision-medicine-annual-conference/2019-ai-medicine
for conference details and agenda.

—————————————

Massachusetts Food is Medicine State Plan
Tuesday, June 18
10:30 AM
Massachusetts State House, Senate Reading Room, 24 Beacon Street, Boston
Breakfast will be available
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-launch-event-of-the-massachusetts-food-is-medicine-state-plan-registration-62258926124

Mark your calendars for the official launch of the Massachusetts Food is Medicine State Plan!

The event will mark the release of the Massachusetts Food is Medicine State Plan, recognize the collaborative efforts of all the stakeholders who contributed during our listening sessions, and outline our policy agenda and vision for the Commonwealth moving forward. As a former attendee at a listening session, participant in our surveys, attendee of the Food is Medicine symposium, or an engaged stakeholder, we encourage your attendance at this special event.

We are thrilled to co-host this event with Senator Julian Cyr and Representative Denise Garlick, and are grateful for their support and championship of the State Plan.

We encourage you to invite your own state senator and representative to attend this event. Many of you are closely connected to your legislators, and we hope you will highlight your involvement and support for the State Plan to bring these issues front and center. If you are not sure who your legislators are, you can find out here. To make outreach easier, we have included a template email for outreach to legislators (see below).

We also encourage you to invite colleagues, partners, and members of your network to attend and are including a template email below as well for stakeholder outreach.

Thank you to all for all of your hard work and support over the last two years since we began the State Plan. This Plan reflects the information and perspectives you have so graciously shared and help us gather over the past year. We are excited to launch the next phase of this initiative and pursue impactful change that will increase access to critical Food is Medicine interventions across the Commonwealth.

—————————————

Refuah Shleima -  Healing Ourselves in a Time of Climate Disruption
Tuesday, June 18
1:00 - 2pm
Webinar
RSVP at jcan.intern at gmail.com

This is an online conversation series for those struggling with despair and seeking resiliency and a way forward into an unknown future sponsored by the Jewish Climate Action Network of Boston. Hosted by Rabbi Katy Allen, co-founder and President pro-tem of the Jewish Climate Action Network and spiritual leader of Ma’yan Tikvah - A Wellspring of Hope

———————————

Nanobiotechnology
Tuesday, June 18
3 pm
MIT, Buildning 32-123,  Ray and Maria Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/robert-langer-from-microtechnology-to-nanotechnology-registration-62737157527

Robert Langer
There are numerous new technologies being developed that may impact the future of medicine. For example, new drug delivery technologies including microparticles, nanoparticles and nanotechnology promise to create new treatments for cancer, heart disease and other illnesses. Nanotechnology may also be useful in delivering DNA and siRNA as well. Approaches involving polymers, microchips, and lipids will be examined.

This event is free and open to the public. Advance registration required.

More information at https://mitnano.mit.edu/perspectives

———————————

Northeastern 2nd Annual Block Party
Tuesday, June 18
4:00pm to 7:00pm
International Village, 1155 Tremont Street, Boston

Join us as we say goodbye to spring and celebrate the start of summer.

This year's event will feature:
The Legendary DJ Bruno Eddy playing old and new school house music and disco classix,
Memorizing AfroFuturistic fashion performance by The House Of Nahdra and The Royal Tribe,
An interactive story-sharing activity led by Everyday Boston, and
Delicious Pan-African cuisine from the new Suya Joint food truck.

Also on hand: WRBB 104.9 FM., Experience Magazine, Northeastern University Public Art Initiative, Northeastern University Police Department, local organizations. We'll also have free giveaways and lawn games.

This event is FREE and OPEN to the public.

Rain date: June 19th

For more info: http://northeastern.edu/crossing

Northeastern Crossing is a department of City and Community Affairs at Northeastern University.

———————————

A Community Conversation with Candidates for Boston City Councilor-At-Large
Tuesday, June 18
6:30 PM – 9:30 PM EDT
Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, 41 Berkeley Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-community-conversation-with-candidates-for-boston-city-councilor-at-large-tickets-62118267410

Meet the Boston City Councilor-At-Large Candidates! Moderated table discussion with opportunity for Q&A with the candidates.

Meet the Boston City Councilor-At-Large Candidates! This will be a moderated table discussion with opportunity for Q&A with the candidates. Moderator: Michael Jonas, Executive Editor, CommonWealth

———————————

Yes She Can:  10 Stories of Hope & Change from Young Female Staffers of the Obama White House
Tuesday, June 18
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes former Obama Administration staffers JENNA BRAYTON, ELEANOR CELESTE, and MOLLY DILLON for a discussion of their new book, Yes She Can: 10 Stories of Hope & Change from Young Female Staffers of the Obama White House. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

About Yes She Can
They were teens when Barack Obama announced he was running for president. They came of age in the Obama Era. And then they joined his White House. Smart, motivated, ambitious—and ready to change the world.

Here are ten inspiring, never-before-told stories from diverse young women who got. Stuff. Done. They recall—fondly, with humor and a dose of humility—what it was like to literally help run the world.

Yes She Can is an intimate look at Obama's presidency through the eyes of some of the most successful, and completely relatable, young women who were there. Full of wisdom they wish they could impart to their younger selves and a message about the need for more girls in government, these recollections are about stepping out into the spotlight and up to the challenge—something every girl can do. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

—————————————

Healing Ourselves in a Time of Climate Disruption
Tuesday, June 18
7:30-8:30pm
Webinar
RSVP by email to jcan.intern at gmail.com

Refuah Shleima -  Healing Ourselves in a Time of Climate Disruption is an online conversation series for those struggling with despair and seeking resiliency and a way forward into an unknown future. Hosted by Rabbi Katy Allen, co-founder and President pro-tem of the Jewish Climate Action Network and spiritual leader of Ma’yan Tikvah - A Wellspring of Hope.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

————————————————————
Wednesday, June 19 - Thursday, June 20
————————————————————

EurekaFest 2019
Wednesday, June 19, 2:00 PM to Thursday, June 20, 5:00 PM

Join us for EurekaFest 2019 to see the working prototypes developed by high school and college students who are solving real-world problems through invention. High school students from across the country who participated in InvenTeams will discuss how they moved through challenges and built an invention during their school year. The top collegiate inventors who won the coveted 2019 Lemelson-MIT Student Prize will be showcasing their inventions alongside high school InvenTeams.

——————————
Wednesday, June 19
——————————

A Celebration of Alfred Brownell's Goldman Environmental Prize
Wednesday, June 19
12:00 - 1:30 PM
Northeastern University School of Law, 250 Dockser Hall, 65 Forsyth Street, Boston

Pizza and refreshments will be provided.

This event is sponsored by the School of Law's Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy and its Center for Center for Public Interest Advocacy and Collaboration

In April, Alfred Brownell, Distinguished Scholar in Residence in the School of Law's Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy (PHRGE), was awarded the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize for his extraordinary work protecting land rights. The Goldman Environmental Prize honors grassroots environmental heroes from the world’s six inhabited continental regions: Africa, Asia, Europe, Islands & Island Nations, North America, and South and Central America. The Prize recognizes individuals for sustained and significant efforts to protect and enhance the natural environment, often at great personal risk. The Goldman Prize views “grassroots” leaders as those involved in local efforts, where positive change is created through community or citizen participation in the issues that affect them. Through recognizing these individual leaders, the Goldman Prize seeks to inspire other ordinary people to take extraordinary actions to protect the natural world.

One of Africa’s leading environmental and human rights defenders, Brownell has been in residence at Northeastern since in 2016 — he and his family were forced to flee his native Liberia after an attempt on his life in response to his leadership in protecting community land rights. Join us on Wednesday, June 19, as we honor Brownell's extraordinary accomplishments.

————————————

InvenTeams Presentations
Wednesday, June 19
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
MIT Stata Center, Building 32, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

The 2019 high school Lemelson-MIT InvenTeams will present on their inventions and explain their inventive process in small groups.

InvenTeams and Lemelson-MIT Student Prize Showcase
Thursday, June 20
2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
MIT Stata Center, Building 32, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

The 2019 high school Lemelson-MIT InvenTeams will exhibit their invention prototypes alongside the collegiate winners of the 2019 Lemelson-MIT Student Prize.

——————————

Moon Race: the US/Soviet Competition to Put Humans on the Moon
Wednesday, June 19
6:30 pm
MIT,  Building E51-315, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

The race in the 1960s to be the first nation to land human beings on the moon

More information at http://www.blu.org

——————————

You're It: Crisis, Change, and How to Lead When It Matters Most
Wednesday June 19
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Leonard Marcus, Eric McNulty, Joseph Henderson and Barry Dorn
Today, in an instant, leaders can find themselves face-to-face with crisis. An active shooter. A media controversy. A data breach. In You’re It, the faculty of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative at Harvard University takes you to the front lines of some of the toughest decisions facing our nation’s leaders-from how to mobilize during a hurricane or in the aftermath of a bombing to halting a raging pandemic. They also take readers through the tough decision-making inside the world’s largest companies, hottest startups, and leading nonprofits.

Leonard J. Marcus, Ph.D. is the founding co-director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative at Harvard and an internationally recognized authority on leadership during times of crisis and change.

Eric J. McNulty, M.A. is Associate Director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative and an Instructor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. He is a contributing editor and columnist at strategy+business magazine.

Joseph M. Henderson, M.P.A. is the Instructor of Public Health Practice in the Faculty of Public Health at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Barry C. Dorn, M.D. is Associate Director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative (NPLI) and Associate Director of the Program for Health Care Negotiation and Conflict Resolution at HSPH.

——————————

Net Zero Buildings Webinar
Wednesday, June 19
7-8:00 pm
Webinar
RSVP at https://www.massclimateaction.org/net_zero_buildings_webinar

Buildings account for a huge slice of our climate change-causing pollution. Luckily, the technology to build Net Zero is not only cost-effective, but also available right now. Join us to hear from a Net Zero architect, sustainability coordinator, as well as community activists working to change the way we build buildings for the better, and learn what you can do to get involved.

——————————

A Primer for Forgetting:  Getting Past the Past
Wednesday, June 19
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes acclaimed scholar, translator, cultural critic, and writer LEWIS HYDE for a discussion of his latest book, A Primer for Forgetting: Getting Past the Past. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

About A Primer for Forgetting
We live in a culture that prizes memory―how much we can store, the quality of what’s preserved, how we might better document and retain the moments of our life while fighting off the nightmare of losing all that we have experienced. But what if forgetfulness were seen not as something to fear―be it in the form of illness or simple absentmindedness―but rather as a blessing, a balm, a path to peace and rebirth?

A Primer for Forgetting is a remarkable experiment in scholarship, autobiography, and social criticism by the author of the classics The Gift and Trickster Makes This World. It forges a new vision of forgetfulness by assembling fragments of art and writing from the ancient world to the modern, weighing the potential boons forgetfulness might offer the present moment as a creative and political force. It also turns inward, using the author’s own life and memory as a canvas upon which to extol the virtues of a concept too long taken as an evil.

Drawing material from Hesiod to Jorge Luis Borges to Elizabeth Bishop to Archbishop Desmond Tutu, from myths and legends to very real and recent traumas both personal and historical, A Primer for Forgetting is a unique and remarkable synthesis that only Lewis Hyde could have produced.

————————————

Science For The People - general meeting
Wednesday, June 19
7pm – 9pm

More information at https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=sftp.boston%40gmail.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York

————————————

The July 26th Coalition Of Boston is hosting The Pastors for Peace Friendshipment Caravan
Wednesday, June 19
7:30 pm
First Baptist Church Of Jamaica Plain, 633 Center Street, Jamaica Plain

Featuring:  Gail Walker, Executive Director of IFCO/Pastors for Peace,
The Case for Ending the US Blockade Against Cuba
Rachel Domond, PSL Boston, on The recent Boston Urban Farmers delegation to Cuba
Lee Schlenker, Witness for Peace New England, Recently Returned: Update on Venezuela

Facebook Event https://www.facebook.com/events/292633434994214/

—————————
Thursday, June 20
—————————

Great Decisions | Decoding U.S.-China Trade
Thursday, June 20
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Boston Public Library, Rabb Hall, 700 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/great-decisions-decoding-us-china-trade-tickets-60823873844

Dr. Peter Petri closes out the spring season of Great Decisions with Decoding: U.S.-China Trade!

In the foreseeable future, China and the United States will be the world’s largest economies and most influential countries. Yet their relationship has taken a nosedive and is now cooler than at any time since President Nixon visited China in 1972. A Trump-Xi trade deal, now in the works, promises to de-escalate tensions, but experts are skeptical. Many expect “disengagement” and an “economic cold war.” We will examine the nuts-and-bolts of the trade deal, the challenges of the China-US relationship, and possibilities for better outcomes based on rebuilding trust.
Peter A. Petri is the Carl J. Shapiro Professor of International Finance in the Brandeis International Business School. From 1994 to 2006 he served as the founding Dean and from 2016 to 2018 as the Interim Dean of the School. He is also a Non-Resident Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution and its John L. Thornton China Center (Washington), and a Visiting Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics (Washington). Petri has held appointments as Visiting Scholar or Professor at the OECD (Paris), Keio University (Tokyo), Fudan University (Shanghai) and Peking University (Beijing), and as a Fulbright Research Scholar and Brookings Policy Fellow. He has consulted for APEC, the Asian Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank Institute, the World Bank, the OECD, the United Nations and the governments of the United States and other countries.

———————————

Author Reading: You Say You Want a Revolution
Thursday, June 20
6 PM - 7:30 PM
Jamaica Plain Branch of the Boston Public Library, 30 South Street, Jamaica Plain

Join us to hear several local authors who contributed to "You Say You Want a Revolution," which is about the student movements in the 1960's and 1970's. The book includes pieces set in and around Boston, such as the Harvard Student Strike in 1969.

More information at https://www.facebook.com/events/335030603844119/

———————————

Sunrise Boston Full Hub Meeting
Thursday, June 20
6 PM – 8 PM
Old South Church in Boston, 645 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/1113493908852676/

All are welcome! Come join us and help prepare for the national #ChangeTheDebate action and get to know the Sunrise Boston Hub!

The meeting will take place in the Guild Room of Old South Church, which is a wheelchair accessible space. Directions: Come into Old South Church through the double doors and take the elevator to the left of the reception desk to the 4th floor. The Guild Room is to the right when you get off the elevator.

After the meeting we will be hanging out at Clery's Bar and Restaurant. All ages welcome!

Questions? Email: SunriseMovementBoston at gmail.com or message our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pg/SunriseBoston/events/

———————————

It's a Small World: Tiny Technologies and Medical Innovation
Thursday, June 20
6:30p
Aeronaut, 14 Tyler Street, Somerville

Sangeeta Bhatia, MIT

More information at http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/science-by-the-pint/

———————————

Young Castro:  The Making of a Revolutionary
Thursday, June 20
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes author and senior lecturer at Harvard University JONATHAN M. HANSEN for a discussion of his latest book, Young Castro: The Making of a Revolutionary. He will be joined in conversation by the former Chargé d’Affaires ad interim at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, AMBASSADOR JEFFREY DELAURENTIS.

About Young Castro
This book will change how you think about Fidel Castro. Until now, biographers have treated Castro’s life like prosecutors, scouring his past for evidence to convict a person they don’t like or don’t understand. This can make for bad history and unsatisfying biography. Young Castro challenges readers to put aside the caricature of a bearded, cigar-munching, anti-American hot head to discover how Castro became the dictator who acted as a thorn in the side of US presidents for nearly half a century.

The first American historian in a generation to gain access to the Castro archives in Havana, Jonathan Hansen was able to secure cooperation from Castro’s family and closest confidants, gaining access to hundreds of never-before-seen letters and to interviews with people he was the first to ask for their impressions of the man. The result is a nuanced and penetrating portrait of a figure who was determined to be a leader—a man at once brilliant, arrogant, bold, vulnerable and all too human. A man who, having grown up on an island that felt like a colonial cage, was compelled to lead his country to independence.

———————————

The Karl Muck Scandal: Classical Music and Xenophobia in World War I America
Thursday, June 20
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Harvard Coop, 1400 Mass Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/meet-author-melissa-dawn-burrage-tickets-62070303950

Melissa Dawn Burrage will discuss The Karl Muck Scandal: Classical Music and Xenophobia in World War I America
One of the cherished narratives of American history is that of the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants to its shores. Accounts of the exclusion and exploitation of Chinese immigrants in the late nineteenth century and Japanese internment during World War II tell a darker story of American immigration. Less well-known, however, is the treatment of German-Americans and German nationals in the United States during World War I. Initially accepted and even welcomed into American society, at the outbreak of war, this group would face rampant intolerance and anti-German hysteria.

About the Author
MELISSA D. BURRAGE is a former writing consultant (adjunct) at Harvard Extension School”---, holds a Master's Degree in History from Harvard University and a PhD in American Studies from University of East Anglia.

————————
Friday, June 21
————————

PEP TRAINING - Serving those who served: Exploring trauma and post traumatic growth in Veterans
Friday, June 21
9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Boston University, Charles River Campus - 750 Commonwealth Avenue (202), Boston
RSVP at http://www.bu.edu/phpbin/registration-manager-catalogs/ssw-pep/app/catalog.php?action=section&course_section_id=3891
Cost:  $65

This workshop would focus on understanding the unique issues that face the veteran population. It would explore the connection between early childhood trauma, and other adverse experiences (such as poverty) and the promises that the military provides to help young people escape these circumstances. It would explore the unique psychological issues that military personal face. It would then focus on the difficulties individuals face in returning to civilian life after military service, including looking at PTSD, and post-traumatic growth.

———————————

Decarbonizing/Electrifying the Building Sector
Friday, June 21
9:00 am -12:30 pm
Foley Hoag, 13th Floor Conference Room, 155 Seaport Blvd, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/decarbonizingelectrifying-the-building-sector-tickets-59850868559
Cost:  $45 - $90
RSVP for livestream at https://signup.clickstreamtv.net/event/raab/events/neer/
Cost:  $45

Decarbonizing/Electrifying the Building Sector
As a companion to last June's successful Roundtable on Decarbonizing the Transportation Sector, this June's Roundtable will take on what may turn out to be New England's greatest challenge to reaching its greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals/requirements of 80% by 2050: decarbonizing our buildings.

While New England states have been national leaders in their ratepayer-funded building energy efficiency programs, decarbonizing the building sector will require still deeper energy retrofits, even more stringent building codes and standards, and other bold initiatives. Moreover, study after study shows that decarbonizing the building sector will require extensive electrification of space and water heating (as well as cooking) supplied by carbon-free electricity.

Come hear about key developments occurring both within New England and beyond. As one example, the recently-released Carbon Free Boston Study
demonstrates in great detail just what it's going to take for New England's largest city to decarbonize its building sector-in terms of technology, policy, and from a social justice perspective. Massachusetts' new Three-Year Energy Efficiency Plan lays the foundation for substantial electrification in several significant ways. Meanwhile, our utilities, NGOs, industry, and local academic institutions are all turning their attention to this Herculean challenge.

We have divided this topic into two panels. The first explores the technical pathways and policy levers that will likely be needed to help us decarbonize the building sector. The second, featuring leaders from three states of national import-California, New York, and Massachusetts, will discuss emerging state visions and implementation plans for building decarbonization.

Pathways and Policies:
Professor Cutler Cleveland, Earth/Environment, BU (Carbon Free Boston)
Sue Coakley, Executive Director, Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships
Eric Dubin, Sr. Director Utilities/Performance Construction, Mitsubishi
Mackay Miller, Director of U.S. Strategy, National Grid
State Visions & Implementation Plans:
Commissioner Andrew McAllister, California Energy Commission
Alicia Barton, President & CEO, NYSERDA
Commissioner Judith Judson, MA Department of Energy Resources

————————
Sunday, June 23
————————

Rain Garden Training
Come explore the benefits of rain gardens!

What is a rain garden?  ---  A rain garden is an area of plants that is spec
ifically designed to soak in rain water runoff that flows from streets, side
walks, driveways and roofs.

In this training series you will learn:
How water impacts your community
The benefits of green infrastructure
How to spot problem areas in your yard and neighborhood
Actionable steps to take to make a difference

*Hosted by*: Earthwatch Institute, The Nature Conservancy, Zoo New England,
and Codman Square Neighborhood Development Corp

*Location*: Franklin Park Zoo
*Dates*: This is a 3 session series on Sundays this summer - June 23, July
14, and August 4
*Time*: 1:00-4:30pm
*Cost*: Free!

Space is limited! Please contact Sarai Zelada asap (szelada at earthwatch.org)
if you are interested in participating.

—————————
Monday, June 24
—————————

The Future of Climate Tech
Monday, June 24
5:30 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-future-of-climate-tech-tickets-61307735086
Cost:  $40

Climate change is transforming our economy. The way we grow our food, power our cities, generate and store our energy, and utilize our transportation infrastructure will need to adapt to succeed in our changing climate. While it will be a challenge, it also presents a massive opportunity for innovation, job creation, and economic growth. Join the Climate Action Business Association for our Sixth Annual All Member Reception, where we will explore the creative technologies that are spurring emissions reductions, and celebrate our member businesses leading the charge.
At CABA, we pride ourselves on the positive impact our member businesses have on local communities and their commitment to implementing sustainability to protect the environment. The CABA Awards are our chance to recognize our members for their innovation, achievements, and community focus.
Nominees:
Ekotrope, Enevo, ILC Dover, City Compost, Willie’s Superbrew, Sunwealth Solar, Tech Networks of Boston, and Green City Growers.
Our featured speaker for the evening is Katherine MacDonald, Director of Strategic Partnerships at Greentown Labs.

SCHEDULE
5:30PM Reception featuring displays from our nominees for the 2019 CABA Awards. Meet the nominees and cast your vote!
6:15PM Words from CABA Executive Director, Michael Green, and featured speaker, Katherine MacDonald
6:30PM Q & A
6:45PM Awards Recognizing Member Businesses: Innovation Award, Achievement Award, Community Award

—————————
Tuesday, June 25
—————————

Inside the Five-Sided Box:  Lessons from a Lifetime of Leadership in the Pentagon
Tuesday, June 25
6:00 PM
Cambridge Public Library, 449 Broadway, CambridgeHarvard Book Store welcomes renowned statesman and former United States Secretary of Defense ASH CARTER for a discussion of his new memoir, Inside the Five-Sided Box: Lessons from a Lifetime of Leadership in the Pentagon.

About Inside the Five-Sided Box
The Pentagon is the headquarters of the single largest institution in America: the Department of Defense. The D.O.D. employs millions of Americans. It owns and operates more real estate, and spends more money, than any other entity. It manages the world’s largest and most complex information network and performs more R&D than Apple, Google, and Microsoft combined. Most important, the policies it carries out, in war and peace, impact the security and freedom of billions of people around the globe.

Yet to most Americans, the dealings of the D.O.D. are a mystery, and the Pentagon nothing more than an opaque five-sided box that they regard with a mixture of awe and suspicion.

In this new book, former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter demystifies the Pentagon and sheds light on all that happens inside one of the nation’s most iconic, and most closely guarded, buildings. Drawn from Carter’s thirty-six years of leadership experience in the D.O.D., this is the essential book for understanding the challenge of defending America in a dangerous world – and imparting a trove of incisive lessons that can guide leaders in any complex organization.

In these times of great disruption and danger, the need for Ash Carter’s authoritative and pragmatic account is more urgent than ever.

——————————

A Global Innovation Hub: Science, Tech and Diplomacy in Boston
Tuesday, June 25
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
swissnex Boston, 420 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-global-innovation-hub-science-tech-and-diplomacy-in-boston-tickets-62507812550

Presented by DiploFoundation, AAAS and swissnex Boston

Crucial global topics are becoming increasingly dependent on the world’s rapidly changing scientific knowledge and technological capabilities: from global health to digital society, sustainability to development, and beyond. To tackle this growing complexity, countries increasingly seek to engage with international science and technology hubs like Boston, so as to accelerate their ability to innovate and spark collaborative efforts with other nations.

Join us at swissnex Boston for an exclusive insight into how countries can activate their presence in Boston’s unique ecosystem to harness the benefits of this cradle of research and innovation and its bustling startup scene.

The event will feature the launch of a report on how diplomatic representations use their science and technology arms to conduct activities in the Boston ecosystem. The report was written by the DiploFoundation and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), with the objective of surveying the existing science and technology diplomatic scene in Boston, assessing its current modes of interaction, as well as being an inspiration for other countries to become active in this field.

Agenda
6:00 pm Doors open
6:30 pm Welcome remarks
6:40 pm Report launch
7:00 pm Panel discussion and Q&A
7:45 pm Networking reception

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

"Hugs For the Planet" in support of the Green New Deal -- will take place late June or early July -- depending on when I can raise the money. I may be able to cover a small shortfall myself but, like many people, I struggle to cover my own needs for the most part.

I'm looking at a Saturday or Sunday, 1pm, one hour.

Our idea is to position ourselves at the Park Street T exit on Boston Common and give out free "Hugs for the Planet." The goal is to raise awareness of the climate change crisis and garner support for the Green New Deal -- the only blueprint to date that offers a comprehensive plan that reflects the urgency needed to, literally, save the planet for our kids and grandkids.

There is no party or group affiliation. I am a career journalist/writer/editor/activist of some standing, working independently, to contribute to building a critical mass of support for the Green New Deal.

I plan to hire (probably six) promotional/event models to give out free hugs and hand out leaflets with some basic info, a call to action, and Congressional phone numbers on them.

OUR SECONDARY GOAL IS TO GET SOME MEDIA COVERAGE. (I have worked in the media, as well as in the capacity of Press Officer and Communications Director.) I will also contact the mayor's office.

You can support Hugs for the Planet at https://www.gofundme.com/quothugs-for-the-planetquot-for-the-green-new-deal

——————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————åƒ

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse.  To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.