[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - August 18, 2019

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 18 14:52:32 PDT 2019

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

——————————
Monday, August 19
——————————

4pm  HubWeek Open Doors: East Boston
6pm  Boston New Technology CleanTech, GreenTech and Energy Startup Showcase #BNT 104
6:30pm  Conflict Resolution in the Workplace

——————————
Tuesday, August 20
——————————

10:30am  Tour of Boston Organics
2pm  DPU Hearing for Boston Community Choice Energy
6pm  Authors at MIT | Nolen Gertz: Nihilism @ The MIT Press Bookstore
6pm  Ben Franklin Circles: Cleanliness
7pm  Melrose Candidate Sustainability Forum

———————————
Wednesday, August 21
———————————

7:30am  Boston Sustainability Breakfast
4:30pm  Presinar: Sustainable Synergy: How Manufacturers and Scientists Can Collaborate
6pm  Sunrise Boston Full Hub Meeting
6:30pm  How We Live: Community Through Housing

——————————
Thursday, August 22
——————————

4pm  BUCKY A Fuller Future
6pm  Authors at MIT | David Weinberger: Everyday Chaos @ The MIT Press Bookstore
6pm  Homeboy: Book Talk with Jawara Griffin
6:30pm  Info Meeting to Form a Local Red Rebel Brigade
6:30pm  Extinction Rebellion [XR] Singing Party
6:30pm  AUGMENTED & VIRTUAL REALITY EXPO
7pm  Human Connections in a Digital World

—————————
Friday, August 23
—————————

8:30am  Design Museum Mornings: Open Source Healthcare

——————————
Saturday, August 24
——————————

11am  Makerfest at More Than Words

—————————
Sunday August 25
—————————

11am  In Season Harvest Fair at Bow Market
2pm  Despair and Empowerment Practices for Climate Activists
3pm  Be the Change Community Action: Climate Change: What's Being Done, What You Can Do
4pm  Activist Afternoons

—————————
Monday, August 26
—————————

6:30pm  Cooling the Climate Mess: Soil, Water, and the Power of Nature

——————————
Tuesday, August 27
——————————

6pm  HRATG & Future of Work Speaker Panel
7pm  Cold Warriors:  Writers Who Waged the Literary Cold War
12pm  Extinction Rebellion [XR] Sharing Circle

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

——————————
Monday, August 19
——————————

HubWeek Open Doors: East Boston
Monday, August 19
4:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
East Boston Shipyard, Marginal Street, East Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hubweek-open-doors-east-boston-tickets-66217358903

Open Doors, presented by BNY Mellon, is a monthly event series that allows you to experience the innovation happening in different corners of Boston. It’s an opportunity for you to learn and find inspiration in neighborhoods across this vibrant, buzzing city that can sometimes be tricky to navigate.
What do you get when you mix one part working marina, one part cider house, two parts arts incubator and one part historic site? The East Boston Shipyard.
On August 19, we're inviting entrepreneurs, artists, foodies, and more to share what makes East Boston one of the most unique, innovative, and seriously creative areas of our city. There aren't many places where you can you brew cider, create a collaborative art project, tour a 100-year old ship, watch a neon sign maker in action, and learn about cutting-edge scientific research all in one afternoon — and we want you to experience it all.

Whether you live in Eastie or will be crossing the harbor for the first time, August's Open Doors will provide a look inside and onramp to this neighborhood's multifaceted creative ecosystem.

*Please note: No vehicles will be permitted on shipyard property. Please take public transportation or arrange to be dropped off outside of the shipyard gate.

Fermentation Flavors 101
4:00 - 6:00 PM | Tour + Tasting | Downeast Cider, 256 Marginal Street #32, East Boston, MA 02128
Join Downeast Cider’s cider makers in a learning and tasting session at their cider house. Did you know that Downeast is unique in it’s unfiltered cider? Come find out what that means, how to make cider, and how different ingredients affect the taste in surprising ways. Four 30-minute sessions, beginning at 4:00pm, 4:30pm, 5:00pm, and 5:30pm. Please register for one session only.

Windy Content Studio
4:00 - 6:00 PM | Interactive | Windy Films, 256 Marginal Street, 16C, East Boston, MA 02128
The Windy Content Studio is a space made for creatives to produce and curate content. Over the past year, Windy Films has opened their doors to Boston's creative community, sharing their space with emerging artists, producers, and change makers. And they want you to join this community! For Open Doors, the Studio has been activated to prompt you to be creative, draw, paint, take photos, and brainstorm with other creatives. Participants are invited to take the reigns, create, and celebrate production in the curated Windy Content Studio. Four 30-minute sessions, beginning at 4:00pm, 4:30pm, 5:00pm, and 5:30pm. Please register for one session only.

Lightship Tour
5:00 - 6:00 PM | Tour | Lightship Nantucket, 256 Marginal Street, Boston, MA 02128
If Open Doors is all about innovation, why are talking about a hundred-year-old ship? But the Lightship Nantucket isn't your average ship: It's actually a lighthouse, and a hub for innovative technologies used to collect observations for scientific research, communicate with sea-faring vessels, and welcome travelers to the shores of Massachusetts safely. 1-hour tour from 5:00pm to 6:00pm.

Neon Build-Out Demonstration
4:00 - 6:00 PM | Demonstration | Warehouse 17, 256 Marginal Street, East Boston, MA 02128
The shipyard’s empty warehouse walls are ripe for displaying the very large, including a vintage neon sign of Paul Revere riding his mare “Brown Beauty". The sign originally towered over the vast Paul Revere Copper Mill in New Bedford, founded by Paul himself in 1801. The sign’s owner and caretaker, aficionado Dave Waller, teaming up with Neon Williams, will be assembling this 40 foot spectacular and sharing its history with you outside his warehouse. Come learn about neon and check out Paul Revere on his wild ride.

Building a Creative Ecosystem Panel Discussion
4:00 - 5:00 PM | Panel | ICA Watershed, 256 Marginal St, East Boston, MA 02128
What does it mean to have a creative ecosystem? Why do so many creatives set up shop in Eastie and the shipyard? Learn about East Boston’s history of arts and creativity and where the future of the arts ecosystem lies in this innovative neighborhood. Seating will be available on a first come, first serve basis – after seating is full, there will be standing room.
Panelists include:
Veronica Robles, Artist
Matthew Pollock, HarborArts Gallery
Corey DePena, Youth Development and Performance Manager, Zumix
June Krinsky-Rudder. Co-Founder, East Boston Artist Group
Moderator: Justin Pasquariello, East Boston Social Centers

Explore ICA Watershed Galleries
5:00 - 7:30 PM | Galleries Exhibition | ICA Watershed, 256 Marginal St, East Boston, MA 02128
A proud supporter of the East Boston arts scene, the ICA’s satellite Watershed location will open exclusively to HubWeek attendees for a special Monday appearance. The ICA Watershed, opened in the Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina in summer 2018, transformed a 15,000-square-foot, formerly condemned space into a vast and welcoming venue to see and experience large-scale art in East Boston. Explore the galleries for free.

Eat, Drink, & Get Connected
6:00 - 7:30 PM | Gathering | Windy Films, 256 Marginal Street, 16C, East Boston, MA 02128
Celebrate East Boston and its creative ecosystem with friends new and old at the Windy Films studio. Food and drink will be provided.

———————————————

Boston New Technology CleanTech, GreenTech and Energy Startup Showcase #BNT 104
Monday, August 19
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Dassault Systemes / Solidworks, 185 Wyman Street, Waltham
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-new-technology-cleantech-greentech-and-energy-startup-showcase-bnt104-tickets-64144477860
Cost:  $0 – $99

21+. Join us to:
See innovative and exciting local CleanTech, GreenTech and Energy tech demos, presented by startup founders
Network with attendees from the Boston-area startup/tech community
Get your free headshot photo (non-intrusively watermarked) from The Boston Headshot!
Enjoy pizza, beer, wine and more
Each company presents an overview and demonstration of their product within 5 minutes and discusses questions with the audience.

Each company presents an overview and demonstration of their product within 5 minutes and discusses questions with the audience.
Nature’s Patriot: Customized Bamboo Straws/ @NaturesPatriot – Replace your disposable plastic and paper straws with a healthier, eco-friendly alternative that won’t harm the environment and can be customized with your logo and/or message! (Chris Requena / @CERequena)
Obaggo/ @Obaggo1 – Recycle your plastic bags and packaging film in the convenience of your curbside recycling bin! (David New)
Plogalong– Mobile app incentivizes users to pick up trash for a cleaner earth! (Eva Kaniasty / @uxordie) Tech: iOS, Android, React Native.
PowerDocks: Blue Isles– Docks provide shore power to boats in remote areas, energy independence from grid power and increased mooring revenue! (Anthony Baro)
5-7. Sign up to present at BNT: bit.ly/bntDemo

———————————————

Conflict Resolution in the Workplace
Monday, August 19
6:30-9pm
45 Mt Auburn Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/conflict-resolution-in-the-workplace-tickets-65256390621
Cost:  $30 – $80

AORTA leads a training on conflict resolution through an anti oppression lens.

As part of our ongoing professional development series, The Democracy Center is excited to present AORTA's training on Conflict Resolution in the Workplace

individual-supported rate: $30
organization-supported rate: $80
Use the code "subsidized" for 50% off if you use mobility aids, are low income, and/or your organization cannot afford the $80 rate.
Be sure to click "enter promotional code" to open the access code box
Email info at democracy center with subject line "AORTA Training Cost" if these rates don't work

As in all communities, conflict in organizations is unavoidable. It is also uncomfortable. In working through conflict, the question shouldn’t be, “How do we prevent conflict?” but rather “How do we address conflict in ways that are healthy and build a stronger organization?” This workshop will help participants identify conflict, even when its just a slow burning tension, and help us all distinguish between what healthy and unhealthy conflict look like. In the process we’ll share AORTA’s conflict resolution practices and methods in order to get a jump start in developing processes tailored to your own organization.

Please do not wear or apply strong smelling lotions, perfumes, etc. before or during the training to make this space more accessible to people with sensitivities.

——————————
Tuesday, August 20
——————————

Tour of Boston Organics
Tuesday, August 20
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM EDT
Boston Organics, 50 Terminal St #105, Charlestown
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/tour-of-boston-organics-tickets-63783525241

What does "eating local" really mean?
Join the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts for a tour of the Boston Organics facility and warehouse, and let's talk about what "eating local" really means and how Boston Organics is working to build a healthy local food system.
Boston Organics has been an active player in the local agricultural infrastructure in New England since 2002, providing customers the opportunity to support local, organic farms in a meaningful way.

Everyone who registers for an Eat Local Month event on Eventbrite will be automatically entered into a raffle to win a Cabot Creamery $75 Gift Box, which includes an assortment of award-winning cheese, plaid burlap bag, and a wooden cutting board. Our other Eat Local Month events include a screening of Lobster War and a tour and tasting of the Urban Farming Institute's new headquarters.

——————————————

DPU Hearing for Boston Community Choice Energy
Tuesday, August 20
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
One South Station, 5th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dpu-hearing-for-boston-community-choice-energy-tickets-67518723319

Please join us to show your support for Boston's Community Choice Energy program. It is being reviewed by the State's Department of Public Utilities. The City of Boston wants to use its large purchasing power to buy clean energy for all residents.

——————————————

Authors at MIT | Nolen Gertz: Nihilism @ The MIT Press Bookstore
Tuesday, August 20
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/authorsmit-nolen-gertz-nihilism-tickets-66234251429

Join the MIT Press Bookstore in welcoming scholar Nolen Gertz to discuss his book, Nihilism, part of the MIT Press’ Essential Knowledge Series.

When someone is labeled a nihilist, it’s not usually meant as a compliment. Most of us associate nihilism with destructiveness and violence. Nihilism means, literally, “an ideology of nothing.” Is nihilism, then, believing in nothing? Or is it the belief that life is nothing? Or the belief that the beliefs we have amount to nothing? If we can learn to recognize the many varieties of nihilism, Nolen Gertz writes, then we can learn to distinguish what is meaningful from what is meaningless. In this addition to the MIT Press Essential Knowledge series, Gertz traces the history of nihilism in Western philosophy from Socrates through Hannah Arendt and Jean-Paul Sartre.

Although the term “nihilism” was first used by Friedrich Jacobi to criticize the philosophy of Immanuel Kant, Gertz shows that the concept can illuminate the thinking of Socrates, Descartes, and others. It is Nietzsche, however, who is most associated with nihilism, and Gertz focuses on Nietzsche’s thought. Gertz goes on to consider what is not nihilism—pessimism, cynicism, and apathy—and why; he explores theories of nihilism, including those associated with Existentialism and Postmodernism; he considers nihilism as a way of understanding aspects of everyday life, calling on Adorno, Arendt, Marx, and prestige television, among other sources; and he reflects on the future of nihilism. We need to understand nihilism not only from an individual perspective, Gertz tells us, but also from a political one.

Nolen Gertz is Assistant Professor of Applied Philosophy at the University of Twente in the Netherlands.

——————————————

Ben Franklin Circles: Cleanliness
Tuesday, August 20
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Impact Hub Boston, 50 Milk Street, 15th Floor, "Socrates” Room, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ben-franklin-circles-cleanliness-tickets-64620728338

Ben Franklin Circles meet monthly to discuss one of Franklin's classic virtues and how they relate to our own experiences, goals and perspectives on life, and how they apply to the world today. We end the evenings with setting individual commitments: what we each want to work on around the discussed virtue until the following meeting for self-improvement. See the list of 13 virtues below. So far we have discussed Temperance, Silence, Order, Resolution, Frugality, Industry, Sincerity, Justice, and Moderation.
Ben Franklin’s 13 Core Virtues:
Temperance
Silence
Order
Resolution
Frugality
Industry
Sincerity
Justice
Moderation
Cleanliness - 8/20
Tranquility
Chastity
Humility

Join us at our upcoming discussion on August 20th focused on Cleanliness,which Franklin explained as: “Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.”
Here is a little more exploration of the topic:
“Practice hygiene. Keep your clothes clean. Keep your home clean. Keep your office clean. Keep your teeth clean. This is not only for your own health, but also for how you present yourself to the world.” - The Simple Dollar

When, Where & Other Logistics:
Please note that when you get to the 15th floor, the glass door is locked. Please call 617-548-8061 to get buzzed in (# is also listed on the glass door on the left hand side.)
We are in the Socrates room on the 15th floor inside Impact Hub Boston (once past the glass doors, take a right and another right, and just before walking into a huge open space, the room is on your left.) If you get turned around, you can ask the nice the Impact Hub Boston hosts at the desk or reach them at 617-548-8061 and they'll help guide you to the right place.
We know our meeting time may overlap with dinner time for some, and warmly invite you to bring your meal or snacks. We will have water available.

——————————————

Melrose Candidate Sustainability Forum
Tuesday, August 20
7:00pm
Melrose High School, 360 Lynn Fells Parkway, Melrose
RSVP at https://act.sierraclub.org/events/details?formcampaignid=7010Z000001vykWQAQ

The City of Melrose has five candidates running for Mayor this year. Sustainable Melrose, a coalition of local sustainability-minded people and groups, are hosting a Mayoral Forum. The forum will give candidates a chance to speak to their positions on sustainability, environmental stewardship, and quality of life. Currently, this forum is the only announced candidates' forum prior to September's election.

———————————
Wednesday, August 21
———————————

Boston Sustainability Breakfast
Wednesday, August 21
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM EDT
Pret a Manger, 101 Arch Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-50422439875

Join us every month for Net Impact Boston's informal breakfast meetup of sustainability professionals for networking, discussion, and moral support. It's important to remind ourselves that we are not the only ones out there in the business world trying to do good! Feel free to drop by Pret a Manger any time between 7:30 and 8:30 AM.

——————————————

Presinar: Sustainable Synergy: How Manufacturers and Scientists Can Collaborate
Wednesday, August 21
4:30 PM to 6:00 PM (EDT)
Edison Conference Room, 16th Floor, 50 Milk Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/presinar-sustainable-synergy-how-manufacturers-and-scientists-can-collaborate-tickets-62740471439
Cost:  $16.78

This webinar explores how science professionals can collaborate with building product manufacturers to overcome challenges in LEED v4.  This program discusses how scientists help manufacturers develop product declarations and documentation for LEED v4 projects and looks at the obstacles of achieving the LEED v4 BD+C MR credit: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Material Ingredients. The webinar ends with a look at some free resources that can help manufacturers and AEC firms with LEED projects.
Course Objectives:
Describe the challenges that building product manufacturers may encounter contributing to LEED v4 BD+C Materials and Resources credits
Review common LEED Materials and Resources product disclosures that AEC firms request from building product manufacturers
Explain the challenges of meeting the LEED v4 BD+C MR credit: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Material Ingredients with a Health Product Declaration (HPD)

——————————————

Sunrise Boston Full Hub Meeting
Wednesday, August 21
6 PM – 8 PM
Old South Church in Boston, 645 Boylston Street, Boston,

All are welcome! Come join us, get to know the Boston Hub, and hear what's next for Sunrise Boston!

The meeting will take place in Mary Norton Hall on the 2nd floor of Old South Church, which is a wheelchair accessible space.

After the meeting we will be hanging out at Clery's Pub for food and fun. All ages welcome!

Questions? Email: SunriseMovementBoston at gmail.com or message our facebook page.

——————————————

How We Live: Community Through Housing
Wednesday, August 21
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Old North Church, 193 Salem Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-we-live-community-through-housing-tickets-61600146697

Presented in partnership with Historic Boston Incorporated
Panelists: Christine Clements, Angie Liou, Raber Umphenour
Moderated by Donna Brown

Nothing is a hotter topic in Boston than housing: the constantly rising costs of rent and home ownership, the gentrification of certain neighborhoods, the lack of diversity in other neighborhoods, and the need for better living solutions in our tiny footprint of a city. What often gets left out of the conversation is the effect that housing has on a community and vice versa. This panel discussion will explore the idea of creating community through the built environment. With speakers from a variety of backgrounds, How We Live will explore creative housing approaches that have great impact on the community: cohousing, artist co-ops, affordable housing for recent immigrants. Join us for a discussion that thoughtfully analyzes architecture's role in fostering connection and vibrancy between city cohabitants.

——————————
Thursday, August 22
——————————

BUCKY A Fuller Future
Thursday, August 22
4 pm EST
http://buckyfuller.net

Freecast-Online World Premiere of BUCKY A Fuller Future featuring Marianne Williamson and Jeff Bridges! (written and directed by yours truly.) The date will be August 22 at 7 pm PST- happy birthday Bucky, thank you for permanently disturbing a slumbering life...

The link will be at BuckyFuller.net after that BUCKY will be for rent or sale but I at least want everyone to have a chance to see it for free! Love to all the support that got us this far, I bow.

————————————————

Authors at MIT | David Weinberger: Everyday Chaos @ The MIT Press Bookstore
Thursday, August 22
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/authorsmit-david-weinberger-everyday-chaos-tickets-66225677785

Join the MIT Press Bookstore in welcoming philosopher, technologist and local author David Weinberger, to talk about his latest book, Everyday Chaos: Technology, Complexity, and How We’re Thriving in a New World of Possibility.

“If you want to better understand the possibilities that machine learning and other forms of AI are creating—and harness the power of these breakthroughs—read this lively and illuminating book!” — Reid Hoffman, LinkedIn founder

Artificial intelligence, big data, modern science, and the internet are all revealing a fundamental truth: The world is vastly more complex and unpredictable than we’ve allowed ourselves to see.

Now that technology is enabling us to take advantage of all the chaos it’s revealing, our understanding of how things happen is changing–and with it our deepest strategies for predicting, preparing for, and managing our world. This affects everything, from how we approach our everyday lives to how we make moral decisions and how we run our businesses.

Take machine learning, which makes better predictions about weather, medical diagnoses, and product performance than we do–but often does so at the expense of our understanding of how it arrived at those predictions. While this can be dangerous, accepting it is also liberating, for it enables us to harness the complexity of an immense amount of data around us. We are also turning to strategies that avoid anticipating the future altogether, such as A/B testing, Minimum Viable Products, open platforms, and user-modifiable video games. We even take for granted that a simple hashtag can organize unplanned, leaderless movements such as #MeToo.

Through stories from history, business, and technology, David Weinberger finds the unifying truths lying below the surface of the tools we take for granted–and a future in which our best strategy often requires holding back from anticipating and instead creating as many possibilities as we can. The book’s imperative for business and beyond is simple: Make. More. Future.

From the earliest days of the web, David Weinberger has been a pioneering thought leader about the internet’s effect on our lives, on our businesses, and most of all on our ideas. He has contributed to areas ranging from marketing and libraries to politics and journalism as a strategic marketing VP and consultant, an internet adviser to presidential campaigns, an early social-networking entrepreneur, a writer-in-residence at Google, a senior researcher at Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, a fellow at Harvard’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, a Franklin Fellow at the US State Department, and a philosophy professor. His writing has appeared in publications from Wired to Harvard Business Review, and his books include the bestselling The Cluetrain Manifesto.

————————————————

Homeboy: Book Talk with Jawara Griffin
Thursday, August 22
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
More Than Words Warehouse Bookstore, 242 East Berkley Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/homeboy-book-talk-with-jawara-griffin-tickets-65473395689
Cost:  Donation

Join Jawara Griffin as he shares his story and discusses his memoir, Homeboy.

At the age of eight, Jawara Griffin was left alone with three of his brothers and one sister in their dilapidated home in North Philadelphia. He struggled, stole and somehow made it through with just a few shared pieces of clothing and torn up pair of sneakers. Later, wrenched away from his siblings due to his mother’s drug addiction, Jawara was moved from group home to group home and was dubbed a “home boy” by his cruel classmates in school. Throughout all this he persevered and followed the advice of a teacher to keep a smile on his face at all times and fight for what he wanted. His positive mindset paid off, and today Jawara is a successful Attorney.

By sharing his story, Jawara hopes to inspire others by reassuring them that “No matter what you are going through today, I promise you, you will all be winners in life.” He also seeks to reach those working with and providing services to youth in the child welfare system, motivating them to provide the best care and mentorship possible.

Ticketing – Receive a copy of Homeboy when you spend over $20 on your ticket. All proceeds support More Than Words, a non-profit social enterprise empowering youth to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. Tickets are available on a pay-what-you-can basis, and are not tax deductible donations.

————————————————

Info Meeting to Form a Local Red Rebel Brigade
Thursday, August 22
6:30 p.m.
Nero Cafe, 589 Massachusetts Avenue, Central Square, Cambridge

We are looking into forming our own local version of the Red Rebel Brigade, a unique form of climate performance first began in the UK, with the goal to have our first performance at the September 27 action. If you are interested in being a part of the group or making the costumes come to this information meeting. Email MARRB at protonmail.com to RSVP.

————————————————

Extinction Rebellion [XR] Singing Party
Thursday, August 22
6:30 p.m.
Location in Cambridge, near Alewife, will be emailed to you when you sign up.
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/xr-singing-party/

Get together to learn some new XR songs and practice some old ones, some just for general purposes and some for the open mic on 9/6 at Herter Park. Trudi will give us a lesson in shape note singing. Bring a light snack to share if you wish, or not.

————————————————

AUGMENTED & VIRTUAL REALITY EXPO
Thursday, August 22
6:30 – 8:30 pm EDT
GA Boston, 125 Summer Street 13th Floor, Boston

Join us at GA to see innovative and exciting local AR & VR technology demos, presented by startup founders and industry experts. Network with 100+ attendees from the Boston-area startup/tech community.

If you would like to showcase your products or company at this event, please contact http://bospartnerships@generalassemb.ly

———————————————

Human Connections in a Digital World
Thursday, August 22
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Artisan's Asylum, 10 Tyler Street, Space #38, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/human-connections-in-a-digital-world-tickets-67073299043

Combining their experiences in new media, these women artists explore the relationships between people, technology and nature.

Join local artists Lani Asuncion, Christina Balch, Keaton Fox and moderator Jesa Damora in a discussion about using art and technology to bring people together in today's digital world. Combining the messiness of technology with their bodies and experiences, these women artists explore and question the relationships between people, technology, and nature.

Meet the Artists (bios below and headshots attached):
Lani Asuncion
Lani Asuncion uses video, performance, sculpture, and the flora in conjunction with technology to survey how disparately cultures meet and mix to negotiate experiences of loss, transformation, and belonging. Storytelling is at the core of her practice, by using her body and the camera she is able to navigate landscapes and recall personal stories that are constructed into abstract narratives used to explore her identity as a multicultural, biracial womxn. Blending digital media with elements of nature Asuncion constructs interactive environments, like that in her HUMAN GARDEN series to present alternative perspectives on conversations around green spaces and urbanization. Finding ways to use her work as a way to connect people to their natural world through technology.

Christina Balch is a Somerville-based, multi-media artist interested in the way people define themselves digitally, especially through the use of mobile technology and self-documentation. Process and experimentation play an important role in Christina’s practice. Her latest project titled Extensions explores digital memory and personal data by creating both physical and digital objects. Christina recently curated two exhibitions at the Nave Gallery titled AVATARS exploring artist representations in the digital, information age.

Keaton Fox is a multidisciplinary artist, educator, and curator who uses art and technology to reflect the digital disarray of the modern world. Fueled by child-like fascination and frustrations, Fox combines the natural with the virtual to create visual experiments that playfully explore the varied realities of our time. She has exhibited nationally, internationally, physically, and digitally. She is currently the Assistant Director at Boston Cyberarts as well as a Teaching Media Artist at Cambridge Community Television. The overarching goal of her multiple creative endeavors is to use art and technology to bring humans together.
Jesa Damora will be the moderator, she runs FunnelCake Marketing, an arts marketing and business development consulting firm, out of Somerville’s Artisan’s Asylum. Her clients include artists of all stripes. She also provides arts event development and execution (TED talks, Somerville Open Studios). She offers curation services, helps with crowd-sourced funding, develops publicity campaigns, and she gives arts marketing presentations and workshops in Boston and in Brooklyn. She produced a long-running vlog/TV show on the arts, was the executive director of a consortium for the US Department of Energy, a championship speedskater, and is a recovering architect. As an artist, she specializes in enormous graphite drawings on Mylar that are about the wildness in both nature and ourselves that we think we have tamed.

—————————
Friday, August 23
—————————

Design Museum Mornings: Open Source Healthcare
Friday, August 23
8:30 AM – 10:00 AM EDT
Optum, 1325 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/design-museum-mornings-open-source-healthcare-tickets-62016210154
Cost:  $0 – $20

Juhan Sonin, director at GoInvo, focuses on why we should demand open source healthcare which would unlock the current closed system of medical records. The algorithms that drive our care, to our clinical and life data, to hospital and treatment pricing, are governed by blackbox services. By using these closed systems, we are actively designed out of the decision-making process, in favor of corporate "optimized care” for optimized returns vs optimized health outcomes.This talk will examine the crooked biases built into software and policy, implemented with intent or accidentally, and draw a path towards Open Source Healthcare that allows citizen collaboration, design, and correction.
Join us in August for Design Museum Mornings at Optum for an enlightening conversation about Open Source Healthcare!
Doors Open • 8:30 - 9am
Program & Q&A • 9:00 - 10:00am
The Speaker
Juhan Sonin specializes in healthcare design and system engineering. He is the director of GoInvo (goinvo.com). The studio’s designs help 700,000 Massachusetts residents receive food stamps, are used by Wikipedia to explain complex health concepts, and manage care plans for 150 million US residents.
Juhan’s laser focus on healthcare and open source design has infected national efforts for the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to the California Healthcare Foundation (CHCF). His open source healthcare products have also been leveraged by Walgreens, Crossover Health, and Hallmark Clinics, to name a few. Next up in 2019 is designing an open source primary care health picture, patient data use agreement service, and an open source oncology decision support service.

——————————
Saturday, August 24
——————————

Makerfest at More Than Words
Saturday, August 24
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
More Than Words Warehouse Bookstore, 242 East Berkley Street, Boston

Introducing Makerfest, a local market with a mission to empower young people and support small businesses. Shop a curated selection of local artisans and food makers alongside our selection of books. Get 50% off books when you make a purchase from a Makerfest artisan.

—————————
Sunday August 25
—————————

In Season Harvest Fair at Bow Market
Sunday, August 25
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT
Bow Market, 1 Bow Market Way, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/in-season-harvest-fair-at-bow-market-tickets-67234561383

Want to buy local food AND meet the people behind your favorite local food brands?
Buy local, eat local, and meet the people who produce your food at this interactive local food market!
As part of August's Eat Local Month, the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) and In Season Food Shop are partnering to host a one-day interactive local food market that showcases and celebrates the diverse array of local food in Bow Market and greater Massachusetts.

Small food businesses that sell their product out of In Season Food Shop will have their locally-produced specialty food items and fresh vegetables for sale. They will also be having demonstrations and conversations with shoppers about the food they make! After you've checked out the vendors, grab lunch at your favorite locally-owned food business in Bow Market.
Shop for locally-produced speciaity food items and fresh farm food
Get to know the story behind your favorite local brands
Learn about new local foods through demonstrations
Eat lunch and get treats at Hooked Fish Shop, Jaju Pierogi, In Season Food Shop, Saus, Remnant, Maca, Gate Comme Des Filles, Rebel Rebel, Buenas, Hot Box, and more!
Support Massachusetts food producers and locally-owned Bow Market businesses!
Please bring your own shopping bag for your local purchases.

Everyone who registers for an Eat Local Month event on Eventbrite will be automatically entered into a raffle to win a Cabot Creamery $75 Gift Box, which includes an assortment of award-winning cheese, plaid burlap bag, and a wooden cutting board. Our other Eat Local Month events include food tours, and a free screening of the award-winning film Lobster War.

—————————————

Despair and Empowerment Practices for Climate Activists
Sunday, August 25
2-5pm
Old Cambridge Baptists Church, 1151 Mass Avenue, Harvard Square, Cambridge
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/despair-and-empowerment-practices-climate-activist/

Climate activists face fear, anger, sadness, and despair on a daily basis. We are often so busy taking action that we don’t give our hearts enough space. This afternoon gathering will be a place to bring our broken hearts, to hold them in compassion, and to source healing and energy to go forward. The workshop will include gratitude practices, a despair and empowerment ritual, and connection with each other. We will leave with tools to nourish ourselves and increase our resilience.

Led by Ian Mevorach and Anne Goodwin, activists and facilitators of the Work That Reconnects, a body of practices designed to restore the resilience of weary activists and build a regenerative culture. www.workthatreconnects.org

Free of charge (A donation for the use of the space will be requested.) Questions? Contact ian at commonstreet.org or annegoodwin at comcast.net

————————————

Be the Change Community Action: Climate Change: What's Being Done, What You Can Do
Sunday, August 25
3 to 5pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Join us for a discussion on climate change. We will discuss how people around the world, in small and larger ways, are taking excess carbon out of the sky and putting it back in the soil - healing our pasture and farm lands, enhancing water storage, and growing healthy food. We will explain how water helps cool the earth and what is being done to restore local water cycles. We’ll end with a series of suggestions for actions you can take in your own yard or neighborhood. We are three educators fascinated by these possibilities. The more we read, the more we feel hopeful about these approaches and we believe you will too.

McNamara Buck is a recently retired pre-school teacher who is working on educating others on ecological restoration and its relationship to carbon sequestration.

Claryce Evans, a retired teacher and director of school reform efforts, and a life-long political activist, is a founder of a small local climate change group and board chairperson of a school reform non-profit.

Helen Snively has been composting and gardening all her life; thanks to 20+ years of running plant swaps and learning from neighbors, she has many tips to share on climate-friendly gardening.

20% of sales from 3-5PM will be donated to the Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter, Inc.

————————————

Activist Afternoons
Sunday, August 25
4 PM – 6 PM
Workbar (Workbar Cambridge), 45 Prospect Street, Cambridge

Activist Afternoons (ActA) creates a space for members of the community to gather and take action on the issues and elections we care about every Sunday from 4pm to 6pm in Central Square.

Each week we provide a menu of causes and actions to help move our politics forward on all levels, from your neighborhood to the White House.

*Might phonebank? Please bring a cellphone, laptop, and charger. A headset or pair of earphones is also helpful when calling voters or potential volunteers!*

To see this week's menu, go to http://activistafternoons.com

—————————
Monday, August 26
—————————

Cooling the Climate Mess: Soil, Water, and the Power of Nature
Monday, August 26
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Cambridge Public Library, 449 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Biodiversity-for-a-Livable-Climate/events/264002794/
Biodiversity for a Livable Climate is a small non-profit so a $10 donation is requested.

Walter Jehne is an internationally known Australian soil microbiologist and climate scientist. He is passionate about educating farmers, policymakers and others about "the soil carbon sponge" and its crucial role in reversing and mitigating flooding, drought, wildfires, and searing global temperatures. He shows us how we can safely cool the climate and restore essential biodiversity by repairing our disrupted hydrological cycles. We thus return excess carbon to the soils, where it can build a sponge that soaks up water and revives the biosphere.

——————————
Tuesday, August 27
——————————

HRATG & Future of Work Speaker Panel
Tuesday, August 27
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
WeWork, 625 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/HRATGBOS/events/261622616/

We will host this meetup to bring some of the HR Leaders who are actively leading and working in Advanced Technology Leadership capacity to share their journey, findings and help us into understanding the future of work.

—————————————

Cold Warriors:  Writers Who Waged the Literary Cold War
Tuesday, August 27
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes award-winning journalist and academic DUNCAN WHITE—Assistant Director of Studies in History & Literature at Harvard University—for a discussion of his latest book, Cold Warriors: Writers Who Waged the Literary Cold War. This event is co-sponsored by Mass Humanities.

About Cold Warriors
During the Cold War, literature was both sword and noose. Novels, essays and poems could win the hearts and minds of those caught between the competing creeds of capitalism and communism. They could also lead to exile, imprisonment or execution if they offended those in power. The clandestine intelligence services of the United States, Britain and the Soviet Union had secret agents and vast propaganda networks devoted to literary warfare. But the battles were personal, too: friends turning on each other, lovers cleaved by political fissures, artists undermined by inadvertent complicities.

In Cold Warriors, Harvard University’s Duncan White vividly chronicles how this ferocious intellectual struggle was waged on both sides of the Iron Curtain. The book has at its heart five major writers—George Orwell, Stephen Spender, Mary McCarthy, Graham Greene and Andrei Sinyavsky—but the full cast includes a dazzling array of giants, among them Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, John le Carré, Richard Wright, Ernest Hemingway, Boris Pasternak, Gioconda Belli, Arthur Koestler, Vaclav Havel, Joan Didion, Isaac Babel, Howard Fast, Lillian Hellman, Mikhail Sholokhov —and scores more.

Spanning decades and continents and spectacularly meshing gripping narrative with perceptive literary detective work, Cold Warriors is a welcome reminder that, at a moment when ignorance is celebrated and reading seen as increasingly irrelevant, writers and books can change the world.

————————————————

Extinction Rebellion [XR] Sharing Circle
Tuesday, August 27
midnight
Zoom meeting link coming soon
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/xr-sharing-circle-2019-08-27/

All are welcome as we sit with each other's feelings on the ecological crisis and this huge adventure we're on together. On Zoom from 7:00-8:00pm, link coming soon.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

———————————
Wednesday August 28
———————————

How to Be an Antiracist
Wednesday August 28
6:00 pm
Coolidge Corner Theatre
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ibram-x-kendi-828-tickets-63355201112
Cost:  $5 - $27

Ibram X. Kendi will speak at the Coolidge Corner Theatre at 6:00pm on August 28th (ticket required).

Ibram X. Kendi’s concept of antiracism reenergizes and reshapes the conversation about racial justice in America—but even more fundamentally, points us toward liberating new ways of thinking about ourselves and each other. In How to be an Antiracist, Kendi asks us to think about what an antiracist society might look like, and how we can play an active role in building it.

Ibram X. Kendi is a New York Times bestselling author and the founding director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University. A professor of history and international relations and frequent public speaker, Kendi is a columnist at The Atlantic. He is the author of Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America, which won the National Book Award for Nonfiction, and The Black Campus Movement, which won the W.E.B. Du Bois Book Prize. Kendi lives in Washington, D.C.

——————————
Thursday, August 29
——————————

Plant-Based Planet Talk
Thursday, August 29
1:00 PM  - 2:00 PM  (Local Time)
93 Winchester Street, Brookline
RSVP at https://act.sierraclub.org/events/details?formcampaignid=7010Z000001vvBNQAY

Learn how to eat a healthy plant-based diet based on whole grains, legumes, fruit, and vegetables. By eating a plant-based diet, you can decrease your carbon footprint and use of natural resources, while lowering your blood pressure and improving your overall health.

Event Organizers:  Sara Sezun  sara.sezun at gmail.com

Signup Instructions: Please confirm registration by calling the Brookline Senior Center at (617) 730-2770.

——————————————

Authors at MIT | Jay Bolter: The Digital Plenitude @ The MIT Press Bookstore
Thursday, August 29
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
MIT Press Bookstore, 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/authorsmit-jay-bolter-the-digital-plenitude-tickets-64192968898

Please join the MIT Press Bookstore in welcoming author Jay Bolter to discuss his book, The Digital Plenitude: The Decline of Elite Culture and the Rise of New Media.

How the creative abundance of today’s media culture was made possible by the decline of elitism in the arts and the rise of digital media.

Media culture today encompasses a universe of forms—websites, video games, blogs, books, films, television and radio programs, magazines, and more—and a multitude of practices that include making, remixing, sharing, and critiquing. This multiplicity is so vast that it cannot be comprehended as a whole. In this book, Jay Bolter traces the roots of our media multiverse to two developments in the second half of the twentieth century: the decline of elite art and the rise of digital media. Bolter explains that we no longer have a collective belief in “Culture with a capital C.” The hierarchies that ranked, for example, classical music as more important than pop, literary novels as more worthy than comic books, and television and movies as unserious have broken down. The art formerly known as high takes its place in the media plenitude. The elite culture of the twentieth century has left its mark on our current media landscape in the form of what Bolter calls “popular modernism.” Meanwhile, new forms of digital media have emerged and magnified these changes, offering new platforms for communication and expression.

Bolter outlines a series of dichotomies that characterize our current media culture: catharsis and flow, the continuous rhythm of digital experience; remix (fueled by the internet’s vast resources for sampling and mixing) and originality; history (not replayable) and simulation (endlessly replayable); and social media and coherent politics.

Jay Bolter is Wesley Chair of New Media and Codirector of the Augmented Media Lab at Georgia Institute of Technology. He is the author of Remediation: Understanding New Media (with Richard Grusin), Windows and Mirrors: Interaction Design, Digital Art and the Myth of Transparency (with Diane Gromala), both published by the MIT Press, and other books.

—————————————————————
Friday, August 30 and Saturday, August 31
—————————————————————

Boston Jazz Fest
Friday, August 30 and Saturday, August 31
Starts at 12:00
Boston Maritime Park in the Seaport

More information at https://bostonjazzfest.org

——————————
Saturday, August 31
——————————

Busted, A Bankers Run To Prison:  BookReading/Signing by author Rich Mangone
Saturday, August 31
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Nate Smith House, 155 Lamartine Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bookreadingsigning-by-author-rich-mangone-busted-a-bankers-run-to-prison-tickets-66065530781

Richard Mangone will be announcing his memoirs about living as a millionaire, breaking the law and prison life. It is a redemption story.

A signed copy of "Busted, A Bankers Run To Prison" will be sold for $15.00, ebook $3.99. A short reading, followed by questions and answers for the author. Refreshments will be served at the event.

——————————
Sunday, September 1
——————————

Activist Afternoon
Sunday, September 1
4 PM – 6 PM
Workbar (Workbar Cambridge), 45 Prospect Street, Cambridge

Activist Afternoons (ActA) creates a space for members of the community to gather and take action on the issues and elections we care about every Sunday from 4pm to 6pm in Central Square.

Each week we provide a menu of causes and actions to help move our politics forward on all levels, from your neighborhood to the White House.

*Might phonebank? Please bring a cellphone, laptop, and charger. A headset or pair of earphones is also helpful when calling voters or potential volunteers!*

To see this week's menu, go to http://activistafternoons.com

———————————
Tuesday, September 3
———————————

Second Info Meeting to Form a Local Red Rebel Brigade
Tuesday, September 3
6:30 p.m.
Nero Cafe, 589 Massachusetts Avenue, Central Square, Cambridge

We are looking into forming our own local version of the Red Rebel Brigade, a unique form of climate performance first began in the UK, with the goal to have our first performance at the September 27 action. If you are interested in being a part of the group or making the costumes come to this information meeting. Email MARRB at protonmail.com to RSVP.

———————————————

How To:  Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
Tuesday, September 3
7:00 PM
Sanders Theatre, 45 Quincy Street, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store is thrilled to welcome RANDALL MUNROE—bestselling author of What If? and Thing Explainer and creator of the beloved webcomic xkcd—for a discussion of his latest book, How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems. This event is co-sponsored by the Harvard University Division of Science and the Cabot Science Library.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

"Hugs For the Planet" in support of the Green New Deal -- will take place late June or early July -- depending on when I can raise the money. I may be able to cover a small shortfall myself but, like many people, I struggle to cover my own needs for the most part.

I'm looking at a Saturday or Sunday, 1pm, one hour.

Our idea is to position ourselves at the Park Street T exit on Boston Common and give out free "Hugs for the Planet." The goal is to raise awareness of the climate change crisis and garner support for the Green New Deal -- the only blueprint to date that offers a comprehensive plan that reflects the urgency needed to, literally, save the planet for our kids and grandkids.

There is no party or group affiliation. I am a career journalist/writer/editor/activist of some standing, working independently, to contribute to building a critical mass of support for the Green New Deal.

I plan to hire (probably six) promotional/event models to give out free hugs and hand out leaflets with some basic info, a call to action, and Congressional phone numbers on them.

OUR SECONDARY GOAL IS TO GET SOME MEDIA COVERAGE. (I have worked in the media, as well as in the capacity of Press Officer and Communications Director.) I will also contact the mayor's office.

You can support Hugs for the Planet at https://www.gofundme.com/quothugs-for-the-planetquot-for-the-green-new-deal

——————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse.  To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.