[act-ma] 10/19 Transforming a City: Honoring Boston’s Visionaries Mel King and Chuck Turner

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Oct 11 06:58:29 PDT 2019

*Join us for a celebration of the lives and legacy of Mel King and Chuck
Turner, two Boston visionaries who shaped and empowered coalitions!*

    About this Event

*Transforming a City: Honoring Boston’s Visionaries* will bring people
together from all over Boston to celebrate the lives and legacy of *Mel
King *and *Chuck Turner*, that dynamic duo, who changed the course of
Boston’s history.

More than fifty years ago, Boston’s black community was in motion with a
spirit and a need, challenging the longstanding racist status quo in
public education, housing, employment, policing, neighborhood
development, and political representation. As an awakened community
organized to assert its right to the City, the efforts of Mel King and
Chuck Turner stand out. They exposed the white power structure dominated
by moneyed interests that oppressed all communities of color, and that
also left behind working-class white Bostonians. They built powerful new
coalitions – a “rainbow” of folks – that insisted on the inclusion of
formerly marginalized peoples to security, prosperity, and dignity. Mel
and Chuck saw the need, felt the spirit of change and put their imprint
on the city.

We are just a few of the many residents inspired by their example and
touched by the transformation they set in motion. And while our work is
far from finished, it is the clear-eyed and far-sighted vision of Mel
King and Chuck Turner of a 21st century “city upon a hill” based on
caring and respectful relationships that continues to light the way
forward for Boston and beyond.

Let’s show our deep love, abiding respect and firm commitment to these
city fathers and the principles they embody!

Please consider an extra donation for those who can't afford to pay.

For questions, email mel.chuckevent at gmail.com

**Community Labor United is a fiscal sponsor of this event. The event is
hosted by loving fans of Mel & Chuck**

      Date and Time

Sat, October 19, 2019

1:30 PM – 5:00 PM EDT