[act-ma] Seeking signers for circumcision lawsuit

Susan McLucas susanbmcl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 19:57:22 PST 2020

Charlie,
This isn't our typical Act-MA announcement, but does it seem okay?
I have a shortened version at the end here, in case this is too long.

* Historic Legal Challenge to Medicaid Circumcision:*

*Call for signers of the petition bringing the case*

We estimate that there are about 9000 Medicaid circumcisions a year in
Massachusetts. The State Medicaid office pays for these elective,
non-therapeutic male infant circumcisions as an administrative policy
decision. However, the pertinent federal and state regulations require
that *all
Medicaid paid services shall be medically necessary.*

According to Massachusetts law, State officials can be sued to have the
court order them to comply with the law. The Circumcision Resource Center
is preparing to bring this lawsuit against Massachusetts Medicaid for
violating regulations requiring medical necessity. This particular kind of
case has not been filed before.

Obviously, the facts are on our side.

·         By definition, an elective, non-therapeutic service cannot be
medically necessary.

·         Even if the "potential medical benefits" claimed by circumcision
advocates were true, they do not satisfy the regulation requirements
for *medical
necessity*.

·         No organization in the world recommends elective, non-therapeutic
male infant circumcision. *If it is not recommended, it cannot be medically
necessary.*

·         The large majority of the world avoids circumcision unless it is
rarely medically necessary or rarely elected by an adult. Aside from these
two factors, a dozen international medical organizations have policies
opposing circumcision
<https://circumcision.org/circumcision-policies-of-international-organizations>
.

*Since most other state Medicaid offices also violate regulation
requirements for medical necessity, this legal case has great potential to
make a significant difference in the practice of circumcision in the U.S.
and protect millions of future males from this sexually and psychologically
harmful practice!*

(For basic facts about circumcision see
https://circumcision.org/male-circumcision-information-summary/ and other
links on https://circumcision.org.)

*We need a minimum of 24 Massachusetts residents representing several
counties to support the legal petition for this case. If you are a resident
of Massachusetts and are willing to add your name, please send your name
and county of residence to **crc at circumcision.org* <crc at circumcision.org>*.*

*Ron Goldman, Director, Circumcision Resource Center, Jamaica Plain, MA,
617-523-0088*

Short version:

[...]

Susan McLucas
617-776-6524, cell: 617-501-9125
BicycleRidingSchool.org, StopExcision.net
14 William St, Somerville, MA 02144