[act-ma] 3/16 & 3/18 - Jewish Climate Action Network - Coronavirus and climate activism

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sat Mar 14 16:21:22 PDT 2020

Jewish Climate Action Network - Coronavirus and climate activism
Monday, March 16
7:30 PM
Online
RSVP by emailing to jcan.intern at gmail.com with the header "I Want to talk about the coronavirus and climate on Monday at 7:30”
and/or
Wednesday, March 18
12 PM
Online
RSVP by emailing to jcan.intern at gmail.com with the header "I Want to talk about the coronavirus and climate on Wednesday at Noon”

We have entered uncharted territory.

As climate activists, with the amount of carbon in the atmosphere still rising and the threats of climate disruption ever-present, we knew we were already there. But Covid-19 has turned our world upside-down in a matter of days.

We fervently wish the dangers from changing climate could make both public and private leaders reverse business as usual as quickly. And as climate activists, we intuitively recognize the likelihood of a connection between climate change and the appearance of the coronavirus in humans. We understand our current situation as just a taste of what our future could be.

Unless we act.

COVID-19 is scary. The economic impact is frightening. Our lives are disrupted. But our mandate to continue our climate activism is stronger than ever.

We need to feel the fear – of both CV and climate change, but we also need to let the fear flow through us and out into the world. We need to give ourselves time and space to care for both our bodies and our souls. And then we need to keep on working, keep on turning toward a more beautiful world.

Rabbi Katy Allen invites you to join one of two JCAN-MA online discussions about coronavirus and climate activism. These forums will be an opportunity to connect with other activists, to share your concerns and fears, to discuss ways to remain active as things are shutting down, and to support each other.