[act-ma] Walk for Justice

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Apr 25 15:14:49 PDT 2020

Walk for Justice

Originally scheduled for March 21- Rescheduled due to Coronavirus.

    May 16 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm

Rain Date May 30

*Walk for Justice is a 2 miles march advocating that the Mass Parole
Board act according to law and conduct fair hearings to end the
perpetual punishment of community members who have proven to be law
abiding citizens.*

As a state wide initiative we have been street canvassing to collect
signatures and we have an online signature petition *“It’s the Law:
Massachusetts Parole Board Must Respect the Rights of Petition. *Walk
for Justice is a culmination of our efforts.

We will walk the 2 miles trek and hand-deliver our petition & signatures
to Massachusetts Main Parole Office at 12 Mercer Road in Natick, MA.

*_Join Us!_*

This parade/march is sponsored by Project Operation Change, i.e. a
committee at ARISE For Social Justice. For further information contact
Don Perry @413-345-8347 or donaldperry2014 at gmail.com
<mailto:donaldperry2014 at gmail.com>

In the meantime, if you haven’t already done so please go online and
sign our petition or have your friends and other acquaintances sign our
petition at: http://chng.it/xYNWhG4nct
<http://chng.it/xYNWhG4nct?fbclid=IwAR1MUX_gV26B32RmAmQef84eSKOkAJkuAE_Vxmxoe-u0t3ho1hNS_9-zrv8>
"It’s the Law: Massachusetts Parole Board Must Respect the Rights of
Petitioners". We can’t street canvass at the moment but it’s imperative
that we continue to gather as many support signatures as possible.

Case in point, the Parole Board has been responding to our efforts by
finally reviewing some petitions for certificates of termination of
sentence. Subsequently, the assigned Parole Officer to each petitioner
has been visiting them in the aftermath and giving them a piece of paper
stating ,” Request denied. No further review by Full Board. Subject
meeting requirements of parole supervision but does not establish
compelling reason why termination of parole supervision is in the public
interest per MGL c 127 ss 130A.

This piece of paper is being delivered to folks without their individual
names noted, a date stamp, letterhead or even an authorized signature.
That is to say, compounding the need of further advocacy for people
caught in Massachusetts convoluted parole system.

We’ll keep you posted about all new developments. Thanks again for all
of your support.