[act-ma] 5/03 Mayday action at Boston Detention Center (today)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun May 3 10:09:17 PDT 2020

Boston Mayday Committee writes

The Boston May Day Coalition will be at the jail (South Bay) at 3 PM on
Sunday to show solidarity and defend the rights of the prisoners in the
jail. We will arrive between 2:30 and 2:45 and gather at the beginning
of Bradston Street near Mass Ave. At 3 PM we will then walk over to the
jail which is at the end of Bradston Street. We are asking everyone to
wear a mask or bandana and gloves. Gloves will be provided for all
participants. We will be walking 6 feet apart from each other and keep
the same distance from each other when we arrive. All will be welcome to
speak during the action. We will be leaving at around 4 PM. We will
leave earlier if the police order us to disperse. Anyone can call me if
they have any questions.

Here are the demands:

1) Empty the prisons! This state does not have a death sentence. Let’s
not have their sentences turn into one through negligence or malice.

2) Release everyone in federal immigration detention, nationwide.

3) Release all parole eligible detainees.

4) Eliminate bail. No one should be at risk of infection and death due
to poverty.

5) Eliminate all unnecessary parole meetings and all parole revocations
for technical violations.

6) With visits suspended, lift all fees for calling family members.

7) During this pandemic, all prisoners need testing, single cells, and
sufficient space to socially distance. This must not replicate solitary
confinement, which is recognized by the UN as a form of torture.

8) Reduce the level of admission to prisons and jails. No more arrests
for petty offenses.

9) Vacate bench warrants. Forgive the fines and fees.

10) No denials of due process

Adelante,

John