[act-ma] 5/06 Mass Mesh for an entertaining introduction to resilient community-controlled communications with mesh networks!

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed May 6 07:02:02 PDT 2020

Last weeks Mash Mesh meeting had to be cancelled on short notice.   It
will take place tonight at the same location.

Also see below to learn how to share your routers guest account.

Also a reminder that Act-MA email list and facebook events page are
promoting a variety of meetups in response to the present reality.
See http:/www.act-ma.org

TecssChange is sharing this is a way to share wireless access to areas
where people don't have it.

Please contact them directly if you have questions.

Stable, equitable Internet access is more important now than ever, but
unfortunately, Internet access is mediated by giant corporations whose
sole aim is profits. Next Wednesday, April 8th, join Mass Mesh for an
entertaining introduction to resilient community-controlled
communications with mesh networks!

Mass Mesh is a high-tech social club building community-owned mesh
networks in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville and beyond. Our members are
hackers, tinker-ers, organizers, artists, and just generally really
great. Our driving principles are respect for privacy, net neutrality,
mutual aid
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_aid_%28organization_theory%29> and
commons based peer production.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commons-based_peer_production> We're just
starting to gain traction, so now is a great time to get involved!
<https://massmesh.org/wiki/index.php?title=Volunteer_Projects> To join
the club, all you have to do is come to at least one of our weekly
meetups per month. <https://www.meetup.com/SomervillePirates/> We're
pretty sure you'll find something exciting to get involved with from there.

Please RSVP to our meetup event
<https://www.meetup.com/SomervillePirates/events/wchkrrybcgbmc/> if
you're planning on joining us, or reach out to jamesvorder at riseup.net
with any questions. I hope to see you next Wednesday, April 29th at 7 PM!

Please use a link to our Meetup
(https://www.meetup.com/SomervillePirates/events/wchkrrybcgbmc/)

In Solidarity,

James V
jamesvorder at riseup.net

I the uncertain times ahead many people will be forced to cutoff their
internet access.  This allows sharing some of your excess capacity with
others.   If you have suggested refinements to this please let me know.

You can share the guest account that comes with your broadband router.
With the right settings it is isolated from your home network.

This assumes you are not already using your guest account for your own
guests.

These are rough instructions on how to do it.   The exact details depend
on your router and ISP

Find out the IP address of your router.

Search for the user manual by model number or open up a cmd box and run
ipconfig

The router address is usually give by Default Gateway . . . . . . . . .
: 192.168.1.1

For my Netgear router I did this.

Go to the "Guest Network" configuration tab

Check box to Turn on Guest network

Check box to Enable Wireless Isolation

This allows the guest to connect to the internet but not to any other
devices on your network

My router requires a password so I used this trick to give out the guest
password..

Guest Wireless Network Name (SSID) : Name your Guest Network “Password
is xxxyyyy “

where xxxyyyy is the password

Optional (this setting limits the shared bandwith to 55 Mbits)

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]