[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - May 31, 2020

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun May 31 10:13:16 PDT 2020

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) Events
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

—————————————————————

Since almost all events are online now, Energy (and Other) Events is now virtual and can happen anywhere in the world.  If you know of online events that are happening which may be of interest to the editor of this publication, please let me know. People are connecting all across the world and I’d be more than happy to help facilitate more of that.

—————————————————————

Mutual Aid Networks

National
Spreadsheet of mutual aid networks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HEdNpLB5p-sieHVK-CtS8_N7SIUhlMpY6q1e8Je0ToY/htmlview

Mutual Aid Networks to Combat Coronavirus
https://itsgoingdown.org/autonomous-groups-are-mobilizing-mutual-aid-initiatives-to-combat-the-coronavirus/

Local
Boston COVID-19 Community Care
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15GYuPYEzBk9KIyH3C3419aYxIMVAsa7BL7nBl9434Mg/edit?usp=sharing

Boston + MA COVID19 Resources
(This is a different Google Doc with a similar name, compiled by the Asian
American Resource Workshop)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-x6vOZKVsla5H363mtdgcyivvLmcx7-f2s6l-O_ba8A/edit?usp=sharing

Cambridge Mutual Aid Network
https://sites.google.com/view/cambridge-nan/home

Mutual Aid Medford and Somerville (MAMAS) network
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1RtYZ1wc8jxcSKDl555WszWhQWlOlSkNnfjIOYV0wXRA/mobilebasic

Food for Free (for Cambridge and Somerville) volunteers to provide lunches for schoolchildren, elderly, and hungry
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSed0cSIoOc7-Fvoms3VHR1Lc44fjql-vTNknz_a-7T_sKDnrw/viewform

My notes to Rebecca Solnit’s A Paradise Built in Hell:  The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster, about how people faced with emergency and disaster usually move towards providing mutual aid, at least until elite panic, a term in disaster studies, kicks in, are available at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2016/07/notes-on-rebecca-solnits-paradise-built.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

Daily Events
Entertainment!!!

————————
Monday, June 1
————————

4pm  1776 Salon
6pm  US Foreign Policy and China
6pm  Sunrise Movement Men's Caucus Virtual Meeting
7pm  Extinction Rebelllion [XR] New Member Orientation

————————
Tuesday, June 2
————————

9am  Mature tech solutions in the COVID-19 response: Leveraging what already works to improve health outcomes
12pm  [Virtual] Data and COVID-19:  Health Data, Contact Tracing, and Misinformation, Privacy & Security
12:30pm  Economics in the Age of Covid-19 by Joshua Gans
6pm  En-ROADS: Climate Change Solutions Simulator
7pm  Tacky's Revolt:  The Story of an Atlantic Slave War

—————————————————
Wednesday, June 3 - Friday, June 5
—————————————————

Sustainability Deep Dive 2020

—————————
Wednesday, June 3
—————————

10am  The Geopolitics of the Global Upheaval in Oil Markets
11am  Staying active to support mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19
12pm  Nobody’s New Normal: Remaining Centered in Very Strange Times
12:30pm  Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Activating Compassion and the Creative Spirit at a Time of Crisis
1pm  When Public Helath Means Business
1pm  Twisted Data: Gerrymandering, GIS, and Visual Information
1pm  Recipe for Action: Building Food Security in Insecure Times
1pm  Can “Terror Management Theory” Help Us Navigate the Pandemic?
2pm  Virtual Social Innovator Showcase Part 2
7pm  All the Horrors of War:  A Jewish Girl, a British Doctor, and the Liberation of Bergen-Belsen
7:30pm  E2 Movie Night:  The Human Element

————————
Thursday, June 4
————————

9am  From COVID on: Testing Resilience in Central Asia
12pm  Webinar on how Navajo Nation SoPL Leaders are advocating, organizing and farming during COVID-19
2pm  Building In & Building Out: Lessons Learned from Deep Energy Retrofits
4pm  Naming Racism: COVID-19 and Beyond

———————
Friday, June 5
———————

9am  Climate Action News:  One-on-one with Mindy Lubber
9am  Building Resilience: Covid-19 and Climate Change
12pm  Beyond Headlines and Hashtags - LIVE Friday Review of Pandemic News
1pm  Robotics Today: Prof. Allison Okamura (Stanford)
3pm  Extinction Rebellion [XR] SF Friday Online Activism
6pm  The Deviant's War:  The Homosexual vs. The United States of America

————————
Saturday, June 6
————————

1pm  Imaging Science - Opening Event
12am  Extinction Rebellion [XR] Art Saturation

————————
Monday, June 8
————————

1pm  When “Stay at Home” Isn’t Safe: Domestic Violence during COVID-19
6pm  The Alchemy of Us
7pm  Brown Album

————————
Tuesday, June 9
————————

3am  Outlook for the Japanese Offshore Wind Market
9am  Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020: Biodiversity
12pm  New England Strong – Planning for a Clean Economic Recovery
12:30pm  Coding Democracy by Maureen Webb
12:30pm  Covid-19: Implications for the Global Economy
7pm  Dante’s Bones:  How a Poet Invented Italy

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

City Agriculture - May 27, 2020
http://cityag.blogspot.com/2020/05/city-agriculture-may-27-2020.html

The Living Company
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-living-company.html

——-
Daily
——-

Swing Left Boston Virtual Activism Calendar
https://swingleftboston.org/calendar/category/training-education/

Daily electoral activist events with social distancing kept in mind.

———————————

Entertainment!!!!

Stay At Home Fest - online music and performance events
https://www.stayathomefest.com/#events

Here Are All the Live Streams & Virtual Concerts to Watch During Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9335531/coronavirus-quarantine-music-events-online-streams

A List Of Live Virtual Concerts To Watch During The Coronavirus Shutdown
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/816504058/a-list-of-live-virtual-concerts-to-watch-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

Watch These Livestreamed Concerts During Your Social Distancing
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/all-musicians-streaming-live-concerts.html]

Virtual Art Project (VAP-IT!)
https://sgimproviz.wixsite.com/virtualartproject

Free virtual music, museums, and art round-up
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/16/1927955/-Your-mega-round-up-of-free-music-museums-and-art-to-check-out-virtually-amid-coronavirus-outbreaks

300,000 ebooks to download for free from the NY Public Library
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/you-can-now-download-over-300-000-books-from-the-nypl-for-free-031820

Free streaming services
https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/streaming-services-free-trial-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Free nonprofit webinars
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ozk1VfHPYlUC6h0XdDtHpsK-PYq4Y6FTnMPh_LliWwM/edit?ts=5e7b5cdf#gid=0

————————
Monday, June 1
————————

1776 Salon
Monday, June 1
4 – 5 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/4015887774651/WN_8ndeUCACTPun4ksDP7a7ew

SPEAKER(S)  Annette Gordon-Reed
DETAILS  As we approach the 250th anniversary of the founding of United States of America, it is worthwhile to consider what it means to be a citizen of the country that was created in 1776. Harvard Professor Annette Gordon-Reed explores the questions of how citizenship is expressed in this modern context, how we kept the republic, and what might the future hold for our republic.
LINK  https://americanrepertorytheater.org/shows-events/1776-salon/

————————————

US Foreign Policy and China
Monday, June 1
6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/us-foreign-policy-and-china-registration-104650061150

Lucy Hornby, a fellow at the Nieman Center for Journalism and former Beijing deputy bureau chief for the Financial Times, and Yasheng Huang, MIT professor of international management, discuss US foreign policy challenges and opportunities with Anthony Saich, Harvard professor of international affairs and director of the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation. This program is co-presented with the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation.

Register for this free virtual Kennedy Library Forum to receive an email reminder with a viewing link before the event.

——————————

Sunrise Movement Men's Caucus Virtual Meeting
Monday, June 1
6 PM – 7:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/937245166735704/

Come hang out and discuss things related to masculinity and society :) This event is encouraged for people that have no experience with caucusing and for those with lots of experience. Some specific topics we plan on talking about are competition and creativity. Bring your full self ready to learn and engage!

The zoom information for this meeting will be shared closer to the day of the meeting.

Hope to see you there and feel free to message us with any questions! This call is open to anybody that identifies as a man or has been socialized as masculine at some point in their life.

Note: The zoom information for this meeting is posted online so we cannot guarantee that zoom bombers will not attack this call. However, given that this is a smaller meeting it probably won't be an issue - just wanted to put in a warning.

————————————

Extinction Rebelllion [XR] New Member Orientation
Monday, June 1
7 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEqcuqspzMjEtwEDgco1LmiQqEiyVLe-tJc

If you are new to Extinction Rebellion or would just like to learn more about how it works, please join us! We will cover the following:
What is XR? What is civil disobedience & direct action?
What do we want?
What are our principles and values?
How are we organized?
Learn how you can get involved!

The session will run for around 90 minutes.

————————
Tuesday, June 2
————————

Mature tech solutions in the COVID-19 response: Leveraging what already works to improve health outcomes
Tuesday, June 2
9 – 10 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IXvFpOphStaaiUSPea_H2A

SPEAKER(S)  Shabnam Aggarwal, Senior Director of New Business, Dimagi, Inc.
Koku Awonoor, Director of Policy, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Ghana Health Service
Karin Kallander, Digital Health Lead, UNICEF
Moderator: Adele Waugaman, Senior Digital Health Advisor, USAID
DETAILS  The COVID-19 pandemic has catalyzed rapid innovation globally. Yet as novel digital solutions emerge, so has awareness of the breadth of tech-driven tools that already exist. In many low resource settings, these tools, such as SMS and telemedicine, already play a critical role in healthcare delivery, and have proven to be essential assets in the COVID-19 response.
In this webinar, we will bring together experts across sectors who are repurposing or expanding existing digital solutions as part of the COVID-19 response. Panelists will discuss the value of leveraging mature technologies in the fight against COVID-19; explore how these existing tools can complement new ones; and share relevant lessons learned.
LINK  https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IXvFpOphStaaiUSPea_H2A

———————————

[Virtual] Data and COVID-19:  Health Data, Contact Tracing, and Misinformation, Privacy & Security
Tuesday, June 2
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM ET
Online
RSVP at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07eh293qrw2a128511&oseq=&c=&ch=

Timothy Caulfield
I. Glenn Cohen
Jackie Olson
Carmel Shachar
John Snow famously used data to trace the source of a cholera outbreak, helping found the field of epidemiology. Data will play just as crucial a role in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic. Cell phone geolocation data can help us contact trace. Individuals can use websites to report symptoms, both allowing us to triage patients to hospitals and recognize where outbreaks are flaring. While we remain at home, digital communication is the best method for releasing important public health information, such as the need to wash our hands or wear masks. Data can also raise questions and concerns. How can we respect privacy rights in an age of public health surveillance? How will large data holders and governments use the information we report them? How can we avoid misinformation spreading and undermining best public health practices?

Timothy Caulfield, I. Glenn Cohen, and Jackie Olson, will explore three areas of opportunity and concern for data in the COVID-19 pandemic, in a discussion moderated by Carmel Shachar:
contact tracing programs, including AI surveillance;
the role of big data holders in COVID-19 efforts; and
the impact of misinformation/disinformation.

———————————

Economics in the Age of Covid-19 by Joshua Gans
Tuesday, June 2
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-talk-economics-in-the-age-of-covid-19-by-joshua-gans-tickets-105886812306

MIT Press Live! presents an author talk with Joshua Gans, author of Economics in the Age of COVID-19.

The COVID-19 pandemic has unleashed a firehose of information (much of it wrong) and an avalanche of opinions (many of them ill-founded). Most of us are so distracted by the everyday awfulness that we don't see the broader issues in play. In this book, economist Joshua Gans steps back from the short-term chaos to take a clear and systematic look at how economic choices are being made in response to COVID-19. He shows that containing the virus and pausing the economy—without letting businesses fail and people lose their jobs—are the necessary first steps.

Join us for a live talk with Joshua Gans to learn more about the current economic crisis and what choices can be made to solve it.

Learn more about the book: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/economics-age-covid-19

Joshua Gans is a Professor of Strategic Management and holds the Jeffrey S. Skoll Chair of Technical Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management. He is the author of The Disruption Dilemma (MIT Press), Prediction Machines, and other books, and co-author of Innovation + Equality (MIT Press).

———————————

En-ROADS: Climate Change Solutions Simulator
Tuesday, June 2
6:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/en-roads-climate-change-solutions-simulator-tickets-104439226538

With so many options, which solutions and policies will really help us meet our climate change goals?

(This online event is free so anyone interested in sustainability that is affected by the economic impact of COVID-19 can easily participate. Capacity for this event is 500 participants.)

Energy efficiency…100% renewables...plant a LOT of trees...keep it in the ground…
There are so many priorities and policy options before us as we build a movement and political will to keep global warming below 2 degrees Celsius. We now have a fascinating, engaging, realtime tool to better inform and drive discussions as well as decisions about how to create our climate future.

Developed by Climate Interactive and MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative, the En-ROADS Climate Solutions Simulator weaves together the best available science and research into how the Earth and societies react to interventions related to our energy and land use choices.
At our June 2nd event, you’ll be able to propose climate solutions such as energy efficiency, carbon pricing, renewables incentives, ending fossil fuel development, reduced deforestation, and carbon dioxide removal. The En-ROADS climate simulator then lets you see in real time the potential impact on global temperature and other factors.

Join us for an interactive experience that is hopeful, scientifically-grounded, action-oriented, and eye-opening.
The event will be facilitated by Curt Newton, En-ROADS Climate Ambassador.

About Curt Newton
Professionally, Curt Newton is Director of MIT OpenCourseWare, which freely shares materials from thousands of MIT courses used by millions of learners and educators around the world. Prior to joining OCW in 2004, he worked at AT&T/Lucent Bell Labs as a communications network systems engineer, and co-founded a data network equipment startup.

As a citizen climate activist, Curt is on the statewide volunteer steering team of 350 Massachusetts, using people power to create state and local political will for climate action, and is a trained Climate Reality Project Leader. In MIT’s climate community, Curt co-produced and co-hosted 3 seasons of the Climate Conversations podcast; helped launch and build the ClimateX online climate change community that became MIT’s climate portal; and was staff representative on the MIT Climate Action Advisory Committee.

Curt’s participation in a 2016 World Climate Simulation game introduced him to Climate Interactive’s work. Enamored of that experience, he learned to facilitate World Climate, with a personal interest in reaching high school communities (being a parent of two young people). He’s facilitated En-ROADS games and workshops for high school classes and enrichment programs, graduate-level education students, a global network of education innovators, workplaces, citizens, and the MIT community.

—————————————

Tacky's Revolt:  The Story of an Atlantic Slave War
Tuesday, June 2
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/vincent-brown-presents/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store welcomes VINCENT BROWN—Charles Warren Professor of American History at Harvard University and author of The Reaper's Garden: Death and Power in the World of Atlantic Slavery—for a discussion of his latest book Tacky's Revolt: The Story of an Atlantic Slave War. He will be joined in conversation by JULIAN LUCAS, associate editor at Cabinet and contributing editor at The Point.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of Tacky's Revolt from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About Tacky's Revolt
In the second half of the eighteenth century, as European imperial conflicts extended the domain of capitalist agriculture, warring African factions fed their captives to the transatlantic slave trade while masters struggled continuously to keep their restive slaves under the yoke. In this contentious atmosphere, a movement of enslaved West Africans in Jamaica (then called Coromantees) organized to throw off that yoke by violence. Their uprising―which became known as Tacky’s Revolt―featured a style of fighting increasingly familiar today: scattered militias opposing great powers, with fighters hard to distinguish from noncombatants. It was also part of a more extended borderless conflict that spread from Africa to the Americas and across the island. Even after it was put down, the insurgency rumbled throughout the British Empire at a time when slavery seemed the dependable bedrock of its dominion. That certitude would never be the same, nor would the views of black lives, which came to inspire both more fear and more sympathy than before.

Tracing the roots, routes, and reverberations of this event across disparate parts of the Atlantic world, Vincent Brown offers us a superb geopolitical thriller. Tacky’s Revolt expands our understanding of the relationship between European, African, and American history, as it speaks to our understanding of wars of terror today.

—————————————————
Wednesday, June 3 - Friday, June 5
—————————————————

Sustainability Deep Dive 2020
Wednesday, June 3 - Friday, June 5
Online
Cost:  $25 - $100
RSVP at https://fontevacustomer-15e95c851ea.force.com/s/lt-event?id=a1U1I00000BAHGbUAP

Decades of global human activity and the expanding greenhouse effect have created a situation that needs to be addressed with more urgency than ever. We think design can help. Action must be taken today if we have any hope of creating paths forward to a sustainable future.

As the developers of products and services used by billions of people around the world, industrial designers hold a crucial position: one that demands we look for ways in which our work can ignite social, cultural, and institutional change. By leveraging our resources, processes, and voice as designers, we can establish new ways of thinking and methodologies in our studios, companies, and corporate settings that, in turn, can help to ensure the ongoing health of our planet and its precious resources.

The Sustainability Deep Dive 2020 is a virtual event spanning three days. It will feature a comprehensive mix of expert presentations and skill-building sessions meant to produce a wellspring of innovative ideas and possibilities that are desperately needed to bring about change.

—————————
Wednesday, June 3
—————————

The Geopolitics of the Global Upheaval in Oil Markets
Wednesday, June 3
10 – 11 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sIsHq1UATgSPznpO1VLcBg

SPEAKER(S)  Meghan O’Sullivan, Jeane Kirkpatrick Professor of the Practice of International Affairs; Director, Geopolitics of Energy Project
DETAILS  Registration is required. Please click here to register in advance for this webinar: harvard.zoom.us…
LINK  https://www.belfercenter.org/event/geopolitics-global-upheaval-oil-markets
CONTACT INFO	casey_billings at hks.harvard.edu

————————————

Staying active to support mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19
Wednesday, June 3
11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/j/94844421897

SPEAKER(S)  Brendon Stubbs Head of Physiotherapy, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation trust; NIHR Clinical Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King's College London
Simon Rosenbaum, Associate Professor & Scientia Fellow, UNSW Sydney
Joseph Firth, Presidential Fellow, University of Manchester; Honorary Fellow, Western Sydney University
Karestan Koenen, Professor of Psychiatric Epidemiology, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Karmel Choi, Clinical and Research Fellow, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; Psychiatric & Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital
DETAILS  The forum will provide attendees with practical tips and strategies for staying active to support mental health during, and after, the COVID-19 pandemic. Led by international experts in exercise physiology, the forum will cover up-to-date evidence about the benefits of physical activity for mood and brain health, discuss current challenges and specific recommendations, and end with a Q&A session.
LINK  https://harvard.zoom.us/j/94844421897
CONTACT INFO	Shaili Jha
sjha at hsph.harvard.edu
Courtney White
cowhite at hsph.harvard.edu

————————————

Nobody’s New Normal: Remaining Centered in Very Strange Times
Wednesday, June 3
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://edportal.harvard.edu/event/nobody’s-new-normal-remaining-centered-very-strange-times

DETAILS  What does "being centered" mean to you? Endurance? Flexibility? Hyper-focus? Broad awareness? Do you even know—or remember—what it means to feel centered?

This presentation will review strategies for establishing a clear intention about what you can do each day to find your center and get through the day and remain mostly upright. We will discuss the rules and tools to create boundaries between work and decompression, the day’s beginning and ending, your workspace and the spaces of others, the distractions you fight and the ones you welcome, when to double down on productivity, and when to let it go.
The workshop will also touch on creative ways to protect boundaries while staying connected with friends, colleagues and managers, and dealing with inevitable breakdowns of the things you count on like childcare, groceries, celebrations…and haircuts.

————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Activating Compassion and the Creative Spirit at a Time of Crisis
Wednesday, June 3
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.

Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

The coronavirus crisis is a window into some of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that emerge when systems get inundated and people feel overloaded. With all that’s going on, what are some of the ways that people have learned to adapt? In this webinar, we discuss the role of ecological grief at a time of heightened anxiety. We also examine the role of art and artists in helping people thrive.
Speakers:  Olive Dempsey, Facilitator, Engagement Strategist & Coach, Reconnecting to Life
Kendra Fanconi, Artistic Director, The Only Animal Theatre Company
Moderator:  Oliver Lane, SPEC

———————————

When Public Helath Means Business
Wednesday, June 3
1 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://theforum.sph.harvard.edu/events/when-public-health-means-business/

SPEAKER(S)  Michelle A. Williams, Dean of the Faculty, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; Angelopoulos Professor in Public Health and International Development, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Harvard Kennedy School
Richard Edelman, CEO of Edelman
Arnold Epstein, John H. Foster Professor of Health Policy and Management; Senior Academic Advisor to the Dean; Chair, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; and Associate Editor, New England Journal of Medicine
Julie Gerberding, Executive Vice President & Chief Patient Officer, Strategic Communications, Global Public Policy and Population Health, Merck
Linda A. Hill, Wallace Brett Donham Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School, and Faculty Chair, Leadership Initiative
Eric Rubin, Editor-in-Chief, New England Journal of Medicine; Irene Heinz Given Professor of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Moderator: Ali Velshi, Host on MSNBC
DETAILS  The current COVID-19 pandemic has revealed a plain truth: We can no longer afford to operate in silos. Instead, this once-in-a-lifetime public health crisis demands a remarkable level of cooperation across sectors and disciplines. Now more than ever, public health and business need to forge ahead together to clear the runway for our economy and society to thrive.

What will it take to move forward globally? How do we battle the war against science? What will it take to succeed? How can we prepare now for the next pandemic?
LINK  https://theforum.sph.harvard.edu/events/when-public-health-means-business/
CONTACT INFO	theforum at hsph.harvard.edu

———————————

Twisted Data: Gerrymandering, GIS, and Visual Information
Wednesday, June 3
1pm
Online
RSVP at https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/5ebc46dedd288b24009265b0

Curator Garrett Dash Nelson talks with Alasdair Rae, Professorial Fellow in Urban Studies and Planning at The University of Sheffield (UK), who created a chart of gerrymandered congressional districts featured in the exhibition.

Alasdair Rae is a Professorial Fellow in Urban Studies and Planning at the University of Sheffield. His work focuses on the manipulation, analysis and visualisation of large geographic datasets in relation to urban planning, transport, policy and land issues. More generally, he is a proponent of open data and in his work seeks to make use of the wide range of new datasets that have become available in recent years to advance knowledge in policy-relevant areas. His work has appeared in a variety of media outlets, including The Economist, Huffington Post, CityMetric, WIRED, The Guardian, The Royal Statistical Society magazine and the BBC. He tweets at @undertheraedar and blogs at www.statsmapsnpix.com.

———————————

Recipe for Action: Building Food Security in Insecure Times
Wednesday, June 3
1:00 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.postcarbon.org/events/food-systems/

Even before the coronavirus pandemic, our global food system was misguided and destined for failure. Now, as millions more families join the ranks of the food insecure, it’s clearer than ever that our food systems must be re-localized to ensure greater resilience in the face of future crises.

In this 75-minute webinar we’ll speak with Co-Founder and President of Food Tank Danielle Nierenberg, President of One Fair Wage Saru Jayaraman, and Working Food Community Programs Director Melissa DeSa, who will provide a clear, high-level picture of where we find ourselves and what we might expect to unfold in the coming months and years in the global food system. They’ll also share inspiring stories of people taking matters into their own hands to improve food security in their communities, and what each of us can do to build a resilient food system where we live.

Usually tickets for this event would be $25 but due to the current global pandemic we are offering it for free.

For those who can, we ask you to consider making a donation so we can continue to offer inspiring events like this one.

Funds raised from the event will support Post Carbon Institute’s efforts to inspire, educate, and support many more people to respond with urgency and boldness to the defining challenges of our time.

All registrants will receive a video recording of the webinar.

———————————

Can “Terror Management Theory” Help Us Navigate the Pandemic?
Wednesday, June 3
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
Online
RSVP at https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/view/can-terror-management-theory-help-us-navigate-the-pandemicquestion

Almost every aspect of human experience is shaped by “death anxiety,” a concept crystallized in recent decades by scholars and scientists exploring “Terror Management Theory” – none more so than Skidmore psychologist Sheldon Solomon.

Here we look at the pandemic experience and society’s Anthropocene options in this context with Solomon, Anthropocene analyst Simon Dalby, emerging scholars Katie Kish and Norman Kearney, and the playwright Karen Malpede, whose recent works focus on personal and societal challenges facing extreme climatic and biological futures. Also on hand is Susi Moser, who for decades has worked to build community and practitioner resilience in regions facing rapid climate change.

———————————

Virtual Social Innovator Showcase Part 2
Wednesday, June 3
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-social-innovator-showcase-part-2-registration-104366912244

Join us for our the second part of 2020 Social Innovator Showcase Series!

Virtual Showcase Part 2: Adaptive Sports New England, Origination Cultural Arts Center, PAARI, and Vital Village Network
Greater Boston's most innovative nonprofit leaders present their solutions to our region's most challenging social issues. The Social Innovator Showcase is the Social Innovation Forum's signature event, typically bringing together an audience of more than 350 business executives, philanthropists, community leaders, and others interested in helping these organizations achieve their visions and expand their impact. This year's event is going virtual as a two-part series. Part one is on May 28, and part two is on June 3. The speaking program will run an hour and be followed by a half-hour Q&A session with the Social Innovators.

With the challenging times that we currently live in, it is more important than ever to support our nonprofits that are on the ground delivering needed services. This event is intended for those interested in supporting the 2020 Social Innovator cohort as potential funders, mentors, or connectors. During each event, four of our Innovators will deliver a five-minute pitch, telling the story of their organization's work and impact, and inviting potential investors and supporters to become involved.
Please note: You must register for each event separately. If you are planning to register someone other than yourself for the event (team member, professional acquaintance, etc.) you must use each person’s unique email address (rather than your own) otherwise they will NOT be able to access the Zoom webinar. To register for Part 1 of the series, please visit the Part 1 Eventbrite page.

2020 Social Innovators Presenting on June 3
Adaptive Sports New England
Supporting and Advancing the Health of People with Disabilities, Their Families, and Caregivers
Track Partner: Edith M. Ashley Fund, at the Boston Foundation
OrigiNation Cultural Arts Center
Advancing Arts Engagement
Track Partner: JAKET Foundation
PAARI (Police Assisted Addiction Recovery Initiative)
Addressing the Opioid Epidemic
Track Partner: Boston Open Impact
Vital Village Network
Nurturing the Whole Health of Children, Families, and Communities
Track Partner: Inspire Boston Funding Collaborative

———————————

All the Horrors of War:  A Jewish Girl, a British Doctor, and the Liberation of Bergen-Belsen
Wednesday, June 3
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/bernice-lerner-presents/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes BERNICE LERNER—author of The Triumph of Wounded Souls: Seven Holocaust Survivors' Lives—for a discussion of her latest book, All the Horrors of War: A Jewish Girl, a British Doctor, and the Liberation of Bergen-Belsen. She will be joined in conversation by MICHAEL ZANK, professor of Religion and Jewish Studies at Boston University.
Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store

While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of All the Horrors of War from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About All the Horrors of War
On April 15, 1945, Brigadier H. L. Glyn Hughes entered Bergen-Belsen for the first time. Waiting for him were 10,000 unburied, putrefying corpses and 60,000 living prisoners, starving and sick. One month earlier, 15-year-old Rachel Genuth arrived at Bergen-Belsen; deported with her family from Sighet, Transylvania, in May of 1944, Rachel had by then already endured Auschwitz, the Christianstadt labor camp, and a forced march through the Sudetenland. In All the Horrors of War, Bernice Lerner follows both Hughes and Genuth as they move across Europe toward Bergen-Belsen in the final, brutal year of World War II.

The book begins at the end: with Hughes's searing testimony at the September 1945 trial of Josef Kramer, commandant of Bergen-Belsen, along with forty-four SS (Schutzstaffel) members and guards. "I have been a doctor for thirty years and seen all the horrors of war," Hughes said, "but I have never seen anything to touch it." The narrative then jumps back to the spring of 1944, following both Hughes and Rachel as they navigate their respective forms of wartime hell until confronting the worst: Christianstadt's prisoners, including Rachel, are deposited in Bergen-Belsen, and the British Second Army, having finally breached the fortress of Germany, assumes control of the ghastly camp after a negotiated surrender. Though they never met, it was Hughes's commitment to helping as many prisoners as possible that saved Rachel's life.
Drawing on a wealth of sources, including Hughes's papers, war diaries, oral histories, and interviews, this gripping volume combines scholarly research with narrative storytelling in describing the suffering of Nazi victims, the overwhelming presence of death at Bergen-Belsen, and characters who exemplify the human capacity for fortitude. Lerner, Rachel's daughter, has special insight into the torment her mother suffered. The first book to pair the story of a Holocaust victim with that of a liberator, All the Horrors of War compels readers to consider the full, complex humanity of both.

————————————

E2 Movie Night:  The Human Element
Wednesday, June 3
7:30 – 8:30 PM Eastern
Online
RSVP at http://facebook.com/e2.org

Join E2 for a lively and interactive discussion with filmmaker and E2 member James Balog. We’ll hear about Balog's experiences as a renowned nature photographer, view short excerpts of his recent film The Human Element, and take your questions.

The Human Element is a powerful film that shows how environmental change affects the lives of everyday Americans. A critic had this to say about the film: "In his compelling, unsettling and visually stunning documentary, The Human Element, National Geographic photographer James Balog shows viewers why we, as a society, can no longer turn a blind eye to the drastically changing world around us."

Balog explores wildfires, hurricanes, sea level rise, coal mining, and the changes in the air we breathe. E2's Micaela Preskill will also discuss policies to advance solutions that will protect our earth, curb climate change and build our economy at a time when we need it most.

Register at the link below to receive a link to join the discussion on June 3rd. Upon registration, you'll also receive a link to screen the entire movie. Although not necessary to enjoy the discussion, we encourage you to watch the film and send your questions and suggestions for clips to feature to Micaela Preskill at mpreskill at e2.org before June 3rd.

About James Balog
James Balog is a photographer whose work explores the relationship between humans and nature. Since the early 1980s Balog has photographed such subjects as endangered animals, North America’s old-growth forests, and polar ice. James has become a global spokesman on the subject of climate change and human impact on the environment. He is also founder of Earth Vision Institute and The Extreme Ice Survey, the most wide-ranging, ground-based, photographic study of glaciers ever conducted.

About E2
Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) is a national, nonpartisan group of business leaders, investors, and professionals from every sector of the economy who advocate for smart policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment. Our members have founded or funded more than 2,500 companies, created more than 600,000 jobs, and manage more than $100 billion in venture and private equity capital. For more information, see www.e2.org or follow us on Twitter at @e2org.

Environmental Entrepreneurs
http://www.e2.org
http://facebook.com/e2.org
@e2org

————————
Thursday, June 4
————————

> From COVID on: Testing Resilience in Central Asia
Thursday, June 4
9 – 10:15 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-testing-resilience-central-asia

SPEAKER(S)  Luca Anceschi, Senior Lecturer in Central Asian Studies (Central & East European Studies), School of Social & Political Sciences, University of Glasgow
Asel Dooletkeldieva, Associate Research Fellow, OSCE Academy, Bishkek
Nargis Kassenova, Senior Fellow, Program on Central Asia, Davis Center; Associate Professor, KIMEP University
Bruce Pannier, Journalist, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Edward Schatz, Associate Professor of Political Science, University of Toronto
Moderator: Paul Stronski, Senior Fellow, Russia and Eurasia Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
DETAILS  Like the rest of the world, Central Asian states and societies are being stress-tested by the COVID-19 pandemic. Can they withstand the storm? Where can one expect disruptions or fissures, and to what extent is persistence and muddling through possible? Are there any prospects for positive change given the growing economic, social and public health crises? Using the concept of resilience, this panel of experts will analyze the current state of affairs of and prospects for the five Central Asian countries.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-testing-resilience-central-asia
CONTACT INFO	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor • Cambridge, MA 02138
617.495.4037

————————————

Webinar on how Navajo Nation SoPL Leaders are advocating, organizing and farming during COVID-19
Thursday, June 4
12-1pm EST / 11am-12pm CT / 10-11am MT / 9-10am PT
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMtfuGqqDkrHdP9FcmaCWpiMy1HX32bpWyC

Please join HEAL Food Alliance next week for a timely webinar on priorities and challenges related to food and farming systems in Navajo Nation during the pandemic, and ongoing organizing and advocacy efforts by community members.

The webinar will feature current members of our School of Political Leadership (SoPL) cohort working on the ground and throughout Navajo Nation:
Gloria Ann Begay, Executive Director, Diné Food Sovereignty Alliance
Stephanie Hall, Executive Director, Tolani Lake Enterprises
dana eldridge, Farmer & Researcher, Diné/Navajo Nation

————————————

Building In & Building Out: Lessons Learned from Deep Energy Retrofits
Thursday, June 4
2pm - 3pm Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://nesea.org/be-event/building-building-out-lessons-learned-deep-energy-retrofits

Maine Passive House (MPH) has used two different strategies in retrofitting existing homes. One strategy involves adding insulation to the outside of the building; the other strategy is to add insulation to the inside of the building. Most projects involve a mix of the two strategies. Along with added insulation and eliminating thermal bridging, MPH increases air tightness, installs high performing windows and doors, and adds mechanical ventilation systems in their projects. They use Therm and PHPP to help build cost-effective resilient buildings, most of which are insulated with cellulose and local materials. MPH has done two residential retrofits (close to PH standard) and one commercial retrofit. They will use case studies to discuss lessons learned from the field.

Learning Objectives
Summarize the general principles behind two different walls systems and two different roof systems that can be used in retrofit projects
Compare and contrast two different strategies for constructing airtight assemblies in a retrofit project
Apply two different strategies to add mechanical ventilation to retrofit projects
Describe the benefits of using cellulose insulation for insulation, and membranes for airtightness, in retrofit projects

————————————

Naming Racism: COVID-19 and Beyond
Thursday, June 4
4 – 5 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-naming-racism-virtual

SPEAKER(S)  Camara Phyllis Jones, 2019–2020 Evelyn Green Davis Fellow, Radcliffe Institute; adjunct professor, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University; senior fellow and adjunct associate professor, Morehouse School of Medicine
David R. Williams, Florence Sprague Norman and Laura Smart Norman Professor of Public Health and chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; professor of African and African American studies and of sociology, Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences
DETAILS  The tragic and inequitable effects of the COVID-19 global pandemic have heightened awareness across the United States of this country’s structural racism. For some, the crisis has been a wake-up call; for others, it has been yet another confirmation of a daily and cross-generational reality. As the first stay-at-home orders are lifted and businesses, government, and schools move toward reopening, how can we avoid having much of the nation fall back into “the somnolence of racism denial”?

Camara Phyllis Jones and David R. Williams will discuss the pathways through which racism has become evident during the pandemic and how increased awareness might be maintained and mobilized so that we, as a society, can move forward to dismantle racism and put in its place a system in which all people can thrive. Register online.
LINK  https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-naming-racism-virtual
CONTACT INFO	events at radcliffe.harvard.edu

———————
Friday, June 5
———————

Climate Action News:  One-on-one with Mindy Lubber
Friday, June5
9am EST
Online
RSVP at https://www.wedonthavetime.org/climate-action-news/one-on-one-with-mindy-lubber

Mindy Lubber is CEO and president of Ceres, a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. She has worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has founded the Green Century Capital Management and served as President of the National Environmental Law Center.

Host
Catarina Rolfsdotter-Jansson, Host, We Don't Have Time
Hosting this global broadcast is Catarina Rolfsdotter-Jansson, an expert moderator, lecturer and devoted workshop-leader in facilitating sustainable development. Catarina moderates for the EU Commission, the Swedish Government, corporations, local municipalities, and universities. She lectures based on the UN Sustainable Global Development Goals internationally and has TV-skills from her background as a television program host at SVT, Swedish Public Television. She is also Content Director at A Sustainable Tomorrow.

Climate Action News is our broadcast about action and sustainable solutions. We invite our community, climate advocacy groups, leaders, and businesses to share their knowledge and insights. You can participate actively by commenting live during and after the broadcast. Get instructions or download our app to join the discussion. Welcome!

——————————

Building Resilience: Covid-19 and Climate Change
Friday, June 5
9am to 12pm
Online
RSVP at https://climateadaptationforum.org/event/building-resilience-covid-19-and-climate-change/
Cost:  $5 - $15

The Covid-19 pandemic is disrupting life unlike anything most of us have seen. While there is little evidence that the pandemic is spreading more quickly because of climate change there are clear parallels between the two crises. Join the Climate Adaptation Forum for a conversation on resilience and the connections between Covid-19 and climate change. Speakers will explore how our responses can make us more resilient to future threats, what climate resilience looks like in this new reality, and highlight success stories.

Join the Environmental Business Council, the Sustainable Solutions Lab at the University of Massachusetts Boston, and collaborating partner John Snow, Inc. (JSI) for this exciting virtual event.

Register here!
Webinar login information will be sent in the registration confirmation email.

Speakers
Keynote Dialogue with Health and Disaster Response Leaders
Georges C. Benjamin, MD
Executive Director, American Public Health Association

Juliette Kayyem
Belfer Senior Lecturer in International Security, Harvard Kennedy School
Faculty Director, Homeland Security Project, Harvard University
Faculty Affiliate, Middle East Initiative, Harvard University

Forum Co-Chairs
Nasser Brahim, Senior Planner, Climate Change Team, Kleinfelder
Terry Greene, Senior Environmental Health Specialist, U.S. JSI
Gabriela Boscio Santos, Sustainability Engagement Manager, Boston University

————————————

Beyond Headlines and Hashtags - LIVE Friday Review of Pandemic News
Friday, June 5
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Online at https://www.facebook.com/earthinstitute/ or https://www.youtube.com/user/anrevk

Another week has passed in the first pandemic of the 21st century, with thousands of new stories posted and printed, yet questions still often outnumbering answers.

Each Friday, the Earth Institute Initiative on Communication and Sustainability hosts a lunchtime review of COVID-19 headlines and next steps featuring Pulitzer winner Laurie Garrett, NBC’s Robert Bazell, Jon Cohen of Science Magazine and Wendy Wertheimer, formerly of WHO & NIH.

Explore more Sustain What episodes on YouTube at j.mp/sustainwhatlive or subscribe on Periscope at pscp.tv/revkin.

Solutions Journalism Network: solutionsjournalism.org

The Earth Institute Initiative: sustcomm.ei.columbia.edu
Contact Andy Revkin with questions or ideas for future segments: @revkin on Twitter or andrew.revkin at columbia.edu

————————————

Robotics Today: Prof. Allison Okamura (Stanford)
Friday, June 5
1:00pm to 2:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://roboticstoday.github.io/watch.html

Join Robotics Today for a virtual talk and panel discussion on Friday, June 5th with guest speaker Allison Okamura, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Stanford University. You can preview Professor Okamura's research at charmlab.

This technical talk will be live-streamed and captioned at https://roboticstoday.github.io/ and Twitter (@RoboticsSeminar). The talk will be followed by a discussion between the speaker and a panel of faculty, postdocs, and students.

Biography: Professor Okamura received the BS degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1994, and the MS and PhD degrees from Stanford University in 1996 and 2000, respectively, all in mechanical engineering. She is currently Professor in the mechanical engineering department at Stanford University. She was previously Professor and Vice Chair of mechanical engineering at Johns Hopkins University. She has been an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Haptics, an editor of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Conference Editorial Board, and co-chair of the IEEE Haptics Symposium. Her awards include the 2009 IEEE Technical Committee on Haptics Early Career Award, the 2005 IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Early Academic Career Award, and the 2004 NSF CAREER Award. She is an IEEE Fellow. Her academic interests include haptics, teleoperation, soft robotics, virtual environments and simulators, medical robotics, neuromechanics and rehabilitation, prosthetics, and engineering education. Outside academia, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, running, and playing ice hockey.

———————————

Extinction Rebellion [XR] SF Friday Online Activism
Friday, June 5
3 p.m.
Online - see zoom in event info
RSVP at https://zoom.us/j/727108084?pwd=YVhTOTk1TFlodzMwc3ZqWkg2ckNoZz09 Meeting ID: 727 108 084 Password: 082166
One tap mobile +16699006833,,727108084# US (San Jose)

XRSF has been holding weekly online activism with a regenerative atmosphere.

We are in extraordinary times, but this is still a good time to spread messages of hope, empowerment, support, compassion, empathy and ACTION. Join us on Fridays for some connection and activism.

CALL AGENDA (HIGH LEVEL): 10m check-in & land acknowledgement 10m calm the limbic system (Guided meditation, poems, qigong, laughter yoga) 15-20m digital activism in breakout rooms 15-20m mutual aid (Sharing what you need with the group, in breakout rooms & sheet) 10m calm the limbic system (Exercise, meditation, gratitudes)

The call will run from 3-4pm EST.

———————————

The Deviant's War:  The Homosexual vs. The United States of America
Friday, June 5
6:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/ericcervini/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series, Boston Pride, and the Boston Public Library welcome award–winning historian ERIC CERVINI for a discussion of his debut book, The Deviant's War:The Homosexual vs. The United States of America.
Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store

While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of Ballet Class from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About The Deviant's War
In 1957, Frank Kameny, a rising astronomer working for the U.S. Defense Department in Hawaii, received a summons to report immediately to Washington, D.C. The Pentagon had reason to believe he was a homosexual, and after a series of humiliating interviews, Kameny, like countless gay men and women before him, was promptly dismissed from his government job. Unlike many others, though, Kameny fought back.

Based on firsthand accounts, recently declassified FBI records, and forty thousand personal documents, The Deviant's War unfolds over the course of the 1960s, as the Mattachine Society of Washington, the group Kameny founded, became the first organization to protest the systematic persecution of gay federal employees. It traces the forgotten ties that bound gay rights to the Black Freedom Movement, the New Left, lesbian activism, and trans resistance. Above all, it is a story of America (and Washington) at a cultural and sexual crossroads; of shocking, byzantine public battles with Congress; of FBI informants; murder; betrayal; sex; love; and ultimately victory.

————————
Saturday, June 6
————————

Imaging Science - Opening Event
Saturday, June 6
1:00pm to 1:45pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/imaging-science-opening-event-tickets-105807356652

Kick off a two-week celebration of observing and documenting the world around us through photography by joining us for a panel discussion with Felice Frankel, award-winning science photographer and MIT research scientist in the departments of Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, and Keith Ellenbogen, acclaimed underwater photographer and Assistant Professor of Photography at SUNY/Fashion Institute of Technology, and Visiting Artist at MIT Sea Grant, who will discuss what makes a successful science photograph, and how composition plays an important role in communicating your observations of the world.

———————————

Extinction Rebellion [XR] Art Saturation
Saturday, June 6
midnight
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/art-saturation-6-6/

Join us as we saturate our communities with Extinction Rebellion art and messages. Our world is facing profound climate, health and social emergencies and we need all hands on deck to make a better and just world. All day on Saturday June 6th rebels are going to install XR art and symbology around greater Boston in areas where people are walking and biking. This is a distributed art installation project that will continue throughout the summer - more calendar events are to come. When planning to install XR art in public spaces it is important to consider the personal distancing that is critical to supporting public health and safety. Please take pictures of the art you install and send them to xr.boston.art at protonmail.com - we want to make some digital collages of your work.

Our last workshop was on making stencils. Here is a cool video from rebels in the UK on stencil making:  https://youtu.be/nUFIrM_KUVk The Art WG will be doing some stenciling for the 6/6 art saturation. We are accumulating some cool distributed art making skills through our workshop series.

This document contains links to a number of artistic resources that you could use for inspiration in designing your installations:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=11jmA26VbD6ciC_E8azV56V5KVV8i0lgJLqFUNzzwPS8
The document also suggests methods to install them and elaborates on the motivation behind this action.

————————
Monday, June 8
————————

When “Stay at Home” Isn’t Safe: Domestic Violence during COVID-19
Monday, June 8
1 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-domestic-violence-during-covid-19-virtual

SPEAKER(S)  Jacquelyn Campbell, Anna D. Wolf Chair, and national program director of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
Melissa DuBose, Associate judge, District Court, Rhode Island Judiciary
Neena McConnico, Program director, Child Witness to Violence Project, Boston Medical Center
Moderator: Janet Rich-Edwards
Faculty codirector of the science program, Radcliffe Institute, associate professor of medicine, Harvard Medical School, and associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
DETAILS  Although communities have been asked to stay home to stay safe, for many domestic violence victims, home can be a dangerous place. Spikes in intimate partner violence (IPV) and child abuse have been noted across the country and around the world since the onset of the COVID-19 stay-at-home directives as victims and witnesses of IPV and child abuse find themselves isolated within their homes and confronted with difficult decisions about when and how to seek care or shelter. In this Radcliffe webinar, scholars, public officials, community activists, and survivors join to discuss domestic violence in the midst of this public health crisis and to consider different strategies for providing services and help to those in need. Register online.
LINK  https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-domestic-violence-during-covid-19-virtual
CONTACT INFO	events at radcliffe.harvard.edu

——————————

The Alchemy of Us
Monday June 8
6:00 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.brooklinebooksmith.com/events/2020-06/virtual-event-ainissa-ramirez/

Ainissa Ramirez
In the bestselling tradition of Stuff Matters and The Disappearing Spoon, The Alchemy of Us is a clever and engaging look at materials, the innovations they made possible, and how these technologies changed us.

Ainissa Ramirez is a materials scientist and sought-after public speaker and science communicator. A Brown and Stanford graduate, she has worked as a research scientist at Bell Labs and held academic positions at Yale University and MIT. She has written for Time, Scientific American, the American Scientist, and Forbes, and makes regular appearances on PBS’s SciTech Now. She also hosts a podcast called Science Underground.

———————————

Brown Album
Monday, June 8
7:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/psb-presents-porochista

Join Porter Square Books virtually for a reading and conversation with Porochista Khakpour, author of Brown Album, in conversation with V. V. Ganeshananthan!

This event is free to attend, and takes place on Crowdcast.

> From the much-acclaimed novelist and essayist, a beautifully rendered, poignant collection of personal essays, chronicling immigrant and Iranian-American life in our contemporary moment.

Novelist Porochista Khakpour’s family moved to Los Angeles after fleeing the Iranian Revolution, giving up their successes only to be greeted by an alienating culture. Growing up as an immigrant in America means that one has to make one’s way through a confusing tangle of conflicting cultures and expectations. And Porochista is pulled between the glitzy culture of Tehrangeles, an enclave of wealthy Iranians and Persians in LA, her own family’s modest life and culture, and becoming an assimilated American. Porochista rebels–she bleaches her hair an
d flees to the East Coast, where she finds her community: other people writing and thinking at the fringes. But, 9/11 happens and with horror, Porochista watches from her apartment window as the towers fall. Extremism and fear of the Middle East rises in the aftermath and then again with the election of Donald Trump. Porochista is forced to finally grapple with what it means to be Middle-Eastern and Iranian, an immigrant, and a refugee in our country today.

Brown Album is a stirring collection of essays, at times humorous and at times profound, drawn from more than a decade of Porochista’s work and with new material included. Altogether, it reveals the tolls that immigrant life in this country can take on a person and the joys that life can give.

Porochista Khakpour’s debut novel, Sons and Other Flammable Objects, was a New York Times Editor’s Choice, one of the Chicago Tribune‘s Fall’s Best, and the 2007 California Book Award winner in the First Fiction category. Her second novel The Last Illusion was a 2014 “Best Book of the Year” according to NPR, Kirkus Reviews, BuzzFeed, PopMatters, Electric Literature, and many more. Among her many fellowships is a National Endowment for the Arts award. Her nonfiction has appeared in many sections of The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Elle, Slate, Salon, and Bookforum, among many others. She has been guest faculty at VCFA and Stonecoast’s MFA programs, as well as Contributing Editor at Evergreen Review. Born in Tehran and raised in the Los Angeles area, Khakpour currently lives in New York City.

V.V. Ganeshananthan is a fiction writer and journalist. Her debut novel, LOVE MARRIAGE, was longlisted for the Orange Prize and named one of Washington Post Book World's Best of 2008. She co-hosts LitHub's Fiction/Non/Fiction podcast.

————————
Tuesday, June 9
————————

Outlook for the Japanese Offshore Wind Market
Tuesday, June 9
3am
Online
RSVP at http://eepurl.com/g4octv

The Asia Wind Energy Association has started a series of webinars with Market Outlooks on the Onshore and Offshore Wind Markets in Asia-Pacific.

Our 2nd Market Session Webinar will discuss the outlook for the offshore wind market in Japan. As the country needs to replace some coal-fired power and nuclear power, the country plans to boost renewable energy. There is a strong fundamental need for offshore wind power in Japan and the government has taken decisive steps to support the sector. The webinar is organized in partnership with Baker & McKenzie.

For more information, please contact us at events at asiawind.org or register at http://eepurl.com/g4octv

——————————

Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020: Biodiversity
Tuesday, June 9
9am - 6pm
Online
RSVP at https://marinesanctuary.org/event/capitol-hill-ocean-week-2020/

The breadth of life in our ocean and Great Lakes is astounding. A healthy planet is essential to our health, well-being, and economic livelihood. Nature provides the clean air we breathe, the fresh water we drink, the food we eat, the medicines we take, and the raw materials we use. It is estimated that, globally, nature provides services worth $125 trillion a year. Nature also contributes up to one-third to global climate change mitigation efforts. Scientific studies document the threats facing our planet from climate change, overfishing and habitat losses, and they also inform the solutions for policymakers. 2020 provides the opportunity for a turning point to begin reversing the trend of biodiversity loss and restoring nature for the good of the planet and all of us who depend on it.

Protecting biodiversity and building a sustainable global economy that protects nature is critical to people’s health and well-being. With its accessible virtual format, Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020 is the opportunity for people from across the U.S. and the globe to engage in dialogue on actions we can take to conserve the variety of life on Earth for the long term health of our communities and the planet.

—————————————

New England Strong – Planning for a Clean Economic Recovery
Tuesday, June 9
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Eastern
Dial-in information will be provided immediately upon registration. If you have any questions, please contact Uchenna Bright at ubright at e2.org.

We all wonder how to rebuild our economy after this dire disruption of COVID-19.  What will this crisis in global health and economies bring?  Can business and government create a recovery strong enough to build our clean economy back better?

Join us to hear insights from New England leaders on how our region and world can take this opportunity to build a better path to net zero and a sustainable future.

Speakers:
Representative Sean Garballey, Commonwealth of Massachusetts House of Representatives, brings the perspective of a policymaker to discuss his current climate bill and others pending in the legislature. As a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, he will also provide insights into plans for public investment in the future.
Celina Cunningham, Deputy Director at the Governor’s Office of Energy in Maine, will present the state and regional vision for the future and the power of climate action as a tool for economic recovery.
Paul Lipke, Senior Advisor for Energy and Buildings at Health Care Without Harm, will discuss the lessons learned in transforming one of our region’s largest sectors, the healthcare sector, into one of sustainability, as well as some of the important steps needed for the decades to come.
Mark Sandeen, Select Board Member in Lexington, MA, will talk about laying the groundwork for a path to the clean economy and to the future we want.  As co-Chair of Lexington’s Getting to Net Zero task force, he will discuss the municipal perspective of opportunities for a clean future, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderator:  Uchenna Bright, E2 Eastern States Advocate

Following the presentations we will open the floor to participants for a robust Q&A.

Even in these trying times, new ideas can guide our way to a strong and sustainable recovery.  Join us to participate in this important discussion on how business and government can make New England stronger.

—————————————

Coding Democracy by Maureen Webb
Tuesday, June 9
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-talk-coding-democracy-by-maureen-webb-tickets-105959154684

MIT Press Live! presents an author talk with Maureen Webb, author of Coding Democracy.

Hackers have a bad reputation, as shady deployers of bots and destroyers of infrastructure. In Coding Democracy, Maureen Webb offers another view. Hackers, she argues, can be vital disruptors. Hacking is becoming a practice, an ethos, and a metaphor for a new wave of activism in which ordinary citizens are inventing new forms of distributed, decentralized democracy for a digital era.

Maureen Webb is a labor lawyer and human rights activist. She is the author of Illusions of Security: Global Surveillance and Democracy in the Post-9/11 World and has taught national security law as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia.

—————————————

Covid-19: Implications for the Global Economy
Tuesday, June 9
12:30 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-implications-global-economy

SPEAKER(S)  Natalia Volchkova, Assistant Professor and Policy Director,Center for Economic and Financial Research, New Economic School, Moscow
Monica DeBolle, Adjunct Lecturer, Latin American Studies Program, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
Prithwiraj Choudhary, Lumry Family Associate Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
Willy Shih, Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Management Practice in Business Administration, Harvard Business School
Moderator: Rawi Abdelal, Herbert F. Johnson Professor of International Management, Harvard Business School; Director, Davis Center
DETAILS  COVID-19 has created a major and lasting impact on the global economy. Join experts on five of the world’s major economies—the U.S., Brazil, Russia, India, and China—as they discuss the uneven economic shock of this global pandemic, as well as how these economies might recover in the coming years.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-implications-global-economy
CONTACT INFO	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor

——————————

Dante’s Bones:  How a Poet Invented Italy
Tuesday, June 9
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/guy_raffa/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes GUY P. RAFFA—associate professor of Italian Studies at The University of Texas at Austin—for a discussion of his latest book Dante's Bones: How a Poet Invented Italy. He will be joined in conversation by bestselling novelist MATTHEW PEARL, author of The Dante Club and The Dante Chamber.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of Dante's Bones from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About Dante's Bones
Dante, whose Divine Comedy gave the world its most vividly imagined story of the afterlife, endured an extraordinary afterlife of his own. Exiled in death as in life, the Florentine poet has hardly rested in peace over the centuries. Like a saint’s relics, his bones have been stolen, recovered, reburied, exhumed, examined, and, above all, worshiped. Actors in this graveyard history range from Lorenzo de’ Medici, Michelangelo, and Pope Leo X to the Franciscan friar who hid the bones, the stone mason who accidentally discovered them, and the opportunistic sculptor who accomplished what princes, popes, and politicians could not: delivering to Florence a precious relic of the native son it had banished.

In Dante’s Bones, Guy Raffa narrates for the first time the complete course of the poet’s hereafter, from his death and burial in Ravenna in 1321 to a computer-generated reconstruction of his face in 2006. Dante’s posthumous adventures are inextricably tied to major historical events in Italy and its relationship to the wider world. Dante grew in stature as the contested portion of his body diminished in size from skeleton to bones, fragments, and finally dust: During the Renaissance, a political and literary hero in Florence; in the nineteenth century, the ancestral father and prophet of Italy; a nationalist symbol under fascism and amid two world wars; and finally the global icon we know today.

**********
—————
Upcoming
—————
**********

——————————
Wednesday, June 10
——————————

Webinar: The Urban Opportunity - City/Business Collaboration for Sustainable Solutions
Wednesday, June 10
11:00am to 12:00am
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Sj9gMDwbQdmNeVFj2v8j-g
Registration Required

Mayors of the world's biggest, most influential cities are setting ambitious targets to mitigate emissions. However, countries and cities cannot act alone and will require considerable support from the private sector to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and SDG 11. At the same time, businesses recognize the risks that climate change poses. How can city mayors and businesses translate their global climate commitments into practical actions that limit global temperature rise to 1.5’C?

Join Danfoss, the City of Copenhagen and MIT Sustainable Design Lab for a look at the example of EnergyLab Nordhavn and discussion of how Denmark’s organizations are coming together to meet sustainability goals and combat climate change.

Panelists: Jonas Loholm Hamann, Communication & Public Affairs Advisor, Danfoss Cooling & Jørgen Abildgaard, Project Director for the 2025 Carbon Neutral strategy and plan for the City of Copenhagen
Moderator: Alpha Yacob Arsano, Research Assistant at the MIT Sustainable Design Lab and PhD Candidate in Building Technology

We hope for this session to be as interactive as possible, so please come with your thoughts for a Q&A, or feel free to send us a question in advance via the RSVP form.

This discussion is part of the MIT-Denmark “Tomorrow’s Cities” Webinar Series on adapting to the needs of future societies, using Denmark as a case study.

——————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Climate Justice and Vulnerable Communities: Investing in Resilience
Wednesday, June 10
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.
Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

The global coronavirus crisis has laid bare the stark inequalities that exist in our society. The crisis has forced people and governments all over the world to actively challenge status quos and to seek ways to provide basic economic support for all who need it. The climate emergency similarly calls on us to push for transformational changes. Here, we explore how solutions-oriented climate journalism and other forms of digital storytelling can enhance social and environmental justice.
Speaker:
Emilee Gilpin, Journalist, Canada’s National Observer
Jestinne Punzalan & Jocelle Refol, Shades of Sustainability
Moderator:  Sophia Yang

————————————

Persuasive Cartography
Wednesday, June 10
1 pm
Online
RSVP at https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/5ebd720a5506fd3a003f1699

Curator Garrett Dash Nelson welcomes guest Judith Tyner, Professor Emerita of Geography at California State University, Long Beach. Tyner coined the term that gives this segment its title; she will discuss how maps are used to influence opinions and beliefs.

Judith Tyner is Professor Emerita at California State University Long Beach. She taught in the Geography Department over 35 years, where she served as Department Chair for six years and was Director Of the Cartography/GIS Certificate Program from its inception until her retirement. While at CSULB, Dr. Tyner taught beginning and advanced cartography, map reading and interpretation, remote sensing, and history of cartography. She is a member of the Association of American Geographers, the North American Cartographic Information Society, the California Map Society, and the Society of Woman Geographers.

Dr. Tyner is the author of four textbooks on map design and map reading, including Principles of Map Design and The World of Maps: Map Reading and Interpretation for the 21st century. She is also the author of two scholarly books, Stitching the Worldand Women in American Cartography and over 40 scholarly articles.

Garrett Dash Nelson is the Curator of Maps & Director of Geographic Scholarship at the Leventhal Map & Education Center.

—————————
Thursday, June 11
—————————

The Broken Heart of America:  St. Louis and the Violent History of the United States
Thursday, June 11
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/walter_johnson/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes WALTER JOHNSON—Winthrop Professor of History and Professor of African and African American Studies at Harvard University—for a discussion of his latest book The Broken Heart of America: St. Louis and the Violent History of the United States. He will be joined in conversation by designer and social entrepreneur DE NICHOLS.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of The Broken Heart of America from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About The Broken Heart of America
> From Lewis and Clark's 1804 expedition to the 2014 uprising in Ferguson, American history has been made in St. Louis. And as Walter Johnson shows in this searing book, the city exemplifies how imperialism, racism, and capitalism have persistently entwined to corrupt the nation's past.

St. Louis was a staging post for Indian removal and imperial expansion, and its wealth grew on the backs of its poor black residents, from slavery through redlining and urban renewal. But it was once also America's most radical city, home to anti-capitalist immigrants, the Civil War's first general emancipation, and the nation's first general strike—a legacy of resistance that endures.

A blistering history of a city's rise and decline, The Broken Heart of America will forever change how we think about the United States.

———————
Friday, June 12
———————

One-on-one with Anders Wijkman
Friday, June 12
9am
Online
RSVP at https://www.wedonthavetime.org/climate-action-news/one-on-one-with-anders-wijkman

Anders Wijkman is a Swedish opinion leader and author. He is honorary chairman of the global think tank Club of Rome and chairman of the Governing Board of Climate-KIC – a major public-private partnership at EU level for the promotion of innovation of a low-carbon society. He has served as a Member of the European Parliament, Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations and Policy Director of UNDP.Since 2015 Anders is a member of the International Resource Panel (IRP) – a UN appointed expert body” to build and share the knowledge needed to improve the use of our resources worldwide”.

Climate Action News is our broadcast about action and sustainable solutions. We invite our community, climate advocacy groups, leaders, and businesses to share their knowledge and insights. You can participate actively by commenting live during and after the broadcast. Get instructions or download our app to join the discussion. Welcome!

————————————

New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable (#166)
Friday, June 12
9:00 am-12:30 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roles-of-natural-gas-as-we-decarbonize-new-england-essential-bridge-andor-fundamental-barrier-tickets-102639916754
Cost:   $0 - $90

Future of Natural Gas in the Electricity Sector in New England
Half of the electricity generation capacity in New England is now fueled by natural gas - up from under fifteen percent twenty years ago. This transition from coal and oil to natural gas has reducedNew England's emissions profile and improved the efficiency of its electricity generation.

But what role can and should natural gas play in a decarbonizing New England electricity grid? While renewable resources such as wind and solar allow us to decarbonize, their output is variable and dependent on weather. Natural gas (or something else) needs to fill the gaps as a backup energy source. Meanwhile, New England's efforts to electrify the building and transportation sectors will likely drive up overall electricity demand.
Will gas-fired electricity generation simply ramp down and transition into back-up reinforcement for renewables until energy storage can take its place? Or will there still be some essential role for natural gas generation even as we reach 80-100% decarbonization?
If gas use is substantially diminished in the electricity sector, will gas-fired generators remain financially solvent and be there if and when we need them?
Relatedly, can the greenhouse gas emissions profile of fossil-fuel-based natural gas in New England be reduced meaningfully through the introduction of renewable natural gas and carbon capture and sequestration?

Susan Tierney, Senior Advisor, Analysis Group
Melanie Kenderdine, Principal, Energy Futures Initiative
Ken Kimmell, President, Union of Concerned Scientists
Dan Dolan, President, New England Power Generators Association

Future of Natural Gas in the Building Sector in New England
Currently, over 60 percent of natural gas consumption in New England occurs in buildings, for space and hot water heating, cooking, and clothes drying. Natural gas usage in buildings has increased over the past decade due to its substitution for dirtier oil and propane in existing structures and its role as the preferred heating source in new construction (when it's available).

With increasing recognition of the importance of electrifying our building stock through more efficient, less polluting technologies (such as advanced heat pumps for heating, hot water, and drying; and induction stoves for cooking) in achieving our economy-wide decarbonization goals and requirements, New England now finds itself at a crossroads. Retrofitting our existing building stock to switch from natural gas to more efficient electricity-based technologies is a challenging task that will likely take decades, and pre-existing gas heating systems may often be retained for back-up. While we have begun to incentivize this transition through energy efficiency programs and other means, some cities and towns in New England, spearheaded by Brookline and Cambridge, are calling for prohibiting natural gas in new construction altogether.

Meanwhile, methane leakage in our gas distribution systems is an ongoing environmental and safety concern. Substantial investments (and improved practices and procedures) are underway to shore up the systems. Some are advocating for greening our natural gas supply by developing renewable natural gas and injecting it into the distribution system, or by utilizing geothermal district heating. These trends and options have significant implications for the future of our gas distribution systems and gas utilities, including the potential for stranded assets, and point to the need for new approaches to gas system planning and related state and local requirements.

David Ismay, Undersecretary for Climate Change, Massachusetts EEA
William Akley, President of Gas Operations, Eversource
Sheri Givens, VP, US Regulatory & Customer Strategy, National Grid
Zeyneb Magavi, Co-Director, HEET

—————————————

RSVP at https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/channel/sustain-what

Another week has passed in the first pandemic of the 21st century, with thousands of new stories posted and printed, yet questions still often outnumbering answers.

Each Friday, the Earth Institute Initiative on Communication and Sustainability hosts a lunchtime review of COVID-19 headlines and next steps featuring Pulitzer winner Laurie Garrett, NBC’s Robert Bazell, Jon Cohen of Science Magazine and Wendy Wertheimer, formerly of WHO & NIH.

Explore more Sustain What episodes on YouTube at j.mp/sustainwhatlive or subscribe on Periscope at pscp.tv/revkin.

Solutions Journalism Network: solutionsjournalism.org

The Earth Institute Initiative: sustcomm.ei.columbia.edu
Contact Andy Revkin with questions or ideas for future segments: @revkin on Twitter or andrew.revkin at columbia.edu

—————————————

Safe Communities: Violence as a Public Health Crisis
Friday, June 12
2:30 – 5 p.m.
Online
RSVP at http://www.cvent.com/events/safe-communities-violence-as-a-public-health-crisis/event-summary-8c37765e4eb6490d8dc97984c2ff2875.aspx
Cost:  $0 - $35

SPEAKER(S)  Robert Kinscherff, National Center for Mental Health and Juvenile Justice; past Board of the Society on Terrorism Research; William James College faculty
Jaime Barrett, Director of the Cliniical Support Unit, Cambridge (Massachusetts) Police Department; Assistant Professor of Psychology, Harvard Medical School
Nancy Rappaport, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; focus on collaboration between education and psychiatry
COST	Free/CEUs $35.00

CONTACT INFO	Registration required. For iInformation:
Dean Abby: dean_abby at williamjames.edu, (617) 327-6777 x1545
DETAILS
We are living through an epidemic of acts of major violence in our community, heightening fear, revulsion, and anger. This is a public health issue, an assault on our communities, rather than many individual acts. We struggle with responses that range from building defenses against these acts and actors to dealing preventively with the conditions and maladaptations that lead to this violence. Our speakers bring much research, experience, and thought to this catastrophe, and help us to understand and respond.
LINK  http://www.cvent.com/events/safe-communities-violence-as-a-public-health-crisis/event-summary-8c37765e4eb6490d8dc97984c2ff2875.aspx

—————————————

The Deportation Machine:  America's Long History of Expelling Immigrants
Friday, June 12
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/adam-goodman-presents/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes ADAM GOODMAN—an historian in the Latin American and Latino Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago—for a discussion of his book The Deportation Machine: America's Long History of Expelling Immigrants.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of The Deportation Machine from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About The Deportation Machine
Constant headlines about deportations, detention camps, and border walls drive urgent debates about immigration and what it means to be an American in the twenty-first century. The Deportation Machine traces the long and troubling history of the US government's systematic efforts to terrorize and expel immigrants over the past 140 years. This provocative, eye-opening book provides needed historical perspective on one of the most pressing social and political issues of our time.

In a sweeping and engaging narrative, Adam Goodman examines how federal, state, and local officials have targeted various groups for expulsion, from Chinese and Europeans at the turn of the twentieth century to Central Americans and Muslims today. He reveals how authorities have singled out Mexicans, nine out of ten of all deportees, and removed most of them not by orders of immigration judges but through coercive administrative procedures and calculated fear campaigns. Goodman uncovers the machine's three primary mechanisms—formal deportations, "voluntary" departures, and self-deportations—and examines how public officials have used them to purge immigrants from the country and exert control over those who remain. Exposing the pervasive roots of anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States, The Deportation Machine introduces the politicians, bureaucrats, businesspeople, and ordinary citizens who have pushed for and profited from expulsion.

This revelatory book chronicles the devastating human costs of deportation and the innovative strategies people have adopted to fight against the machine and redefine belonging in ways that transcend citizenship.

—————————————————
Monday, June 15 - Friday, June 19
—————————————————

TheRecoverySummit
RSVP at https://www.therecoverysummit.com

> From June 15th-19th 2020, more than 60 of the world’s leading authorities will share their latest thinking on the global economy, leadership, managing change, innovation, disruption and resilience over five days.

Listen to inspiring messages on hope and overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Watch presentations and interviews covering the latest thinking on the future of business and the strategies needed to survive and thrive in the new normal.

Register for free below and discover the strategies, mindsets and practices to lead yourself, your team or your organisation through lockdown and recession to recovery and growth.

————————
Monday, June 15
————————

Boston New Technology COVID-19 Tech Showcase #BNT114
Monday, June 15
4:00 PM – 5:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-new-technology-covid-19-tech-showcase-bnt114-registration-103046751608

Join members of BNT's 50k network to:
See 6 innovative and exciting local COVID-19 Tech demos, presented by startup founders
Network virtually with attendees from Boston, Austin and beyond
Ask the founders your questions
Please register with a valid email address and you will immediately receive an email with the link you need to join this webcast and our online group!

—————————
Tuesday, June 16
—————————

Books at Baker: Live Zoom Event with Harvard Professors John Macomber and Joseph Allen
Tuesday, June 16
3:30-4:30 p.m. ET
Online
RSVP at https://hbs.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1QG7wpw-RfaGyVpN6SEc6g

Join Harvard Business School for their Books at Baker series featuring Harvard Professors John Macomber and Joseph Allen on Tuesday, June 16 from 3:30-4:30 pm.

Register in advance to receive a Zoom link.

Prior to inviting workers to return to office buildings that have been abandoned during the coronavirus crisis, companies should explore ways to boost their buildings’ defenses against the disease, say John D. Macomber, senior lecturer at Harvard Business School, and Joseph G. Allen, a professor of Harvards T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who have co-authored the book Healthy Buildings: How Indoor Spaces Drive Performance and Productivity. After all, buildings that don’t bring in enough fresh air can put employees at greater risk of getting sick and can also reduce worker productivity. In a post-COVID-19 world, a healthy building—complete with improved ventilation and air quality, plus new technologies like touchless elevators and sinks—will be seen as the first line of defense against the disease.

Please join the coauthors on Tuesday, June 16, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. ET when they will discuss their book and answer questions.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Local Voices Network (lvn.org) was hosting conversations across Boston in gathering places such as libraries, community centers, etc. with residents to surface underheard voices and to better understand hopes and concerns, which are then made available to all participants as well as members of the media.

We have recently transitioned our conversations over to Zoom, and have been hosting conversations with people across our chapters (MA, NY, WI, AL) acutely affected by COVID-19 (food pantry and grocery store workers, faith leaders, students/professors, etc.) and some really powerful stories have emerged.

We are now opening the conversations up to anyone in our communities who wants to come together and share their frustrations, struggles, and hopes surrounding COVID-19 in a 3-5 person (60-75 min) conversation. Each conversation will be recorded, transcribed, indexed using natural language processing (AI) technology, and made available to policy makers and our media partners (such as the Boston Institute of Nonprofit Journalism and WBUR).

I'll be hosting three conversations in the next couple of weeks that I wanted to invite you to join. Please find the links online at lvn.org/boston.
Thanks and take care,
Jess

Jess Weaver
Head of Local Voices Network - Boston
Cortico: fostering a healthy public sphere
jess at lvn.org
617.655.8412

————————————

Living With Heat - Urban Land Institute report on expected climate impact in Boston
https://boston.uli.org/about/impact/

————————————

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Boston Science Lectures:  https://sites.google.com/view/bostonsciencelectures/home
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/
Extinction Rebellion:  https://xrmass.org/action/
Sunrise Movement:  https://www.facebook.com/SunriseBoston/events/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse. To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.