[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - June 7, 2020

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jun 7 09:45:48 PDT 2020

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) Events
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

—————————————————————

Since almost all events are online now, Energy (and Other) Events is now virtual and can happen anywhere in the world.  If you know of online events that are happening which may be of interest to the editor of this publication, please let me know. People are connecting all across the world and I’d be more than happy to help facilitate more of that.

—————————————————————

Mutual Aid Networks

National
Spreadsheet of mutual aid networks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HEdNpLB5p-sieHVK-CtS8_N7SIUhlMpY6q1e8Je0ToY/htmlview

Mutual Aid Networks to Combat Coronavirus
https://itsgoingdown.org/autonomous-groups-are-mobilizing-mutual-aid-initiatives-to-combat-the-coronavirus/

Local
Boston COVID-19 Community Care
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15GYuPYEzBk9KIyH3C3419aYxIMVAsa7BL7nBl9434Mg/edit?usp=sharing

Boston + MA COVID19 Resources
(This is a different Google Doc with a similar name, compiled by the Asian
American Resource Workshop)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-x6vOZKVsla5H363mtdgcyivvLmcx7-f2s6l-O_ba8A/edit?usp=sharing

Cambridge Mutual Aid Network
https://sites.google.com/view/cambridge-nan/home

Mutual Aid Medford and Somerville (MAMAS) network
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1RtYZ1wc8jxcSKDl555WszWhQWlOlSkNnfjIOYV0wXRA/mobilebasic

Food for Free (for Cambridge and Somerville) volunteers to provide lunches for schoolchildren, elderly, and hungry
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSed0cSIoOc7-Fvoms3VHR1Lc44fjql-vTNknz_a-7T_sKDnrw/viewform

My notes to Rebecca Solnit’s A Paradise Built in Hell:  The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster, about how people faced with emergency and disaster usually move towards providing mutual aid, at least until elite panic, a term in disaster studies, kicks in, are available at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2016/07/notes-on-rebecca-solnits-paradise-built.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

Daily Events
Entertainment!!!

————————
Monday, June 8
————————

1pm  When “Stay at Home” Isn’t Safe: Domestic Violence during COVID-19
1pm  New Realities, New Data: Nonprofits in Crisis and What Donors Need to Know
6pm  The Alchemy of Us
6:30pm  Cool Streets: a Conversation Towards Action
7pm  Brown Album
7pm  Biosphere 2 Virtual World Ocean Day Webinar: Solutions for Reef Resilience

————————
Tuesday, June 9
————————

3am  Outlook for the Japanese Offshore Wind Market
9am  Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020: Biodiversity
12pm  A Discussion on Black Lives, Protest, and Democracy
12pm  Giving In The Time of COVID-19: An Opportunity for Reflection, Discernment and Action
12pm  New England Strong – Planning for a Clean Economic Recovery
12:30pm  Coding Democracy by Maureen Webb
12:30pm  Focus on Justice Series Digs into Guantánamo: 18 Years and Counting
12:30pm  Covid-19: Implications for the Global Economy
1pm  A Just Transition by The Jesuit Forum for Social Faith and Justice
5pm  State of Food Tech/AgTech Panel + Startup Pitches (On Zoom)
7pm  Dante’s Bones:  How a Poet Invented Italy

——————————
Wednesday, June 10
——————————

8:30am  Science, Business, and Vaccine Development to Combat the Pandemic
11am  Webinar: The Urban Opportunity - City/Business Collaboration for Sustainable Solutions
12pm  Harvard Startup Stories: Kula Bio
12pm  New Findings in the Field of Negotiation: Research from the PON Graduate Research Fellows
12pm  Social Connections, Physical Distancing: Building Resilience in Very Strange Times
12pm  PIRE CREATE Webinar: Paleoclimatology--Understanding our Climate Through Natural Records
12:30pm  Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Climate Justice and Vulnerable Communities: Investing in Resilience
1pm  Persuasive Cartography
3pm  Robot Stories Session 4: How to further advance robotics technology
5pm  State of Artificial Intelligence Panel + Startup Pitches
6pm  Learning Circle: "Science & Cooking (an introduction to chemistry)"
Wednesday, June 10 (Every week on Wednesday until July 15)
7pm  Sidney Pacific Presidential Lecture - Prof. Alex Pentland - What will the new normal look like?

—————————
Thursday, June 11
—————————

12:30pm  Handshake: Robotics and the Human Touch
12:30pm  Covid-19: Reopening -- Public Health and the Economy
2pm  How Foundations are Shaping Policy During COVID-19
3:30pm  Science Research Mentoring Program Symposium
6pm  Averting Climate Breakdown: Insights from Ecological Economics
6:30pm  Climate Change and Its Impact on Gardeners: Webinar
7pm  The Broken Heart of America:  St. Louis and the Violent History of the United States
7pm  Teaching Resilience: Green Infrastructure and Education

———————
Friday, June 12
———————

9am  One-on-one with Sophia Mathur
9am  Webinar: The Labor of Fashion, the Global COVID-19 Crisis, and the Politics of Resistance in Bangladesh
9am  New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable (#166)
12pm  Beyond Headlines and Hashtags - LIVE Friday Review of Pandemic News
2:30pm  Safe Communities: Violence as a Public Health Crisis
3pm  Extinction Rebelllion [XR] SF Friday Online Activism
7pm  The Deportation Machine:  America's Long History of Expelling Immigrants

————————
Sunday, June 14
————————

7pm  Extinction Rebelllion [XR] Baltimore Community Support Circle

—————————————————
Monday, June 15 - Friday, June 19
—————————————————

TheRecoverySummit

————————
Monday, June 15
————————

4pm  Boston New Technology COVID-19 Tech Showcase #BNT114

—————————
Tuesday, June 16
—————————

12pm  Farmers' Market at Harvard Opening Day
3:30pm  Books at Baker: Live Zoom Event with Harvard Professors John Macomber and Joseph Allen

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Intertribal Problems Stuck on Stupid
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/6/1/1949617/-Intertribal-Problems-Stuck-on-Stupid

Bandan Mask and Wire Frame
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/6/6/1951148/-Bandana-Mask-and-Wire-Frame

——-
Daily
——-

Swing Left Boston Virtual Activism Calendar
https://swingleftboston.org/calendar/category/training-education/

Daily electoral activist events with social distancing kept in mind.

———————————

Entertainment!!!!

Stay At Home Fest - online music and performance events
https://www.stayathomefest.com/#events

Here Are All the Live Streams & Virtual Concerts to Watch During Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9335531/coronavirus-quarantine-music-events-online-streams

A List Of Live Virtual Concerts To Watch During The Coronavirus Shutdown
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/816504058/a-list-of-live-virtual-concerts-to-watch-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

Watch These Livestreamed Concerts During Your Social Distancing
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/all-musicians-streaming-live-concerts.html]

Virtual Art Project (VAP-IT!)
https://sgimproviz.wixsite.com/virtualartproject

Free virtual music, museums, and art round-up
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/16/1927955/-Your-mega-round-up-of-free-music-museums-and-art-to-check-out-virtually-amid-coronavirus-outbreaks

300,000 ebooks to download for free from the NY Public Library
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/you-can-now-download-over-300-000-books-from-the-nypl-for-free-031820

Free streaming services
https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/streaming-services-free-trial-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Free nonprofit webinars
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ozk1VfHPYlUC6h0XdDtHpsK-PYq4Y6FTnMPh_LliWwM/edit?ts=5e7b5cdf#gid=0

————————
Monday, June 8
————————

When “Stay at Home” Isn’t Safe: Domestic Violence during COVID-19
Monday, June 8
1 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-domestic-violence-during-covid-19-virtual

SPEAKER(S)  Jacquelyn Campbell, Anna D. Wolf Chair, and national program director of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
Melissa DuBose, Associate judge, District Court, Rhode Island Judiciary
Neena McConnico, Program director, Child Witness to Violence Project, Boston Medical Center
Moderator: Janet Rich-Edwards
Faculty codirector of the science program, Radcliffe Institute, associate professor of medicine, Harvard Medical School, and associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
DETAILS  Although communities have been asked to stay home to stay safe, for many domestic violence victims, home can be a dangerous place. Spikes in intimate partner violence (IPV) and child abuse have been noted across the country and around the world since the onset of the COVID-19 stay-at-home directives as victims and witnesses of IPV and child abuse find themselves isolated within their homes and confronted with difficult decisions about when and how to seek care or shelter. In this Radcliffe webinar, scholars, public officials, community activists, and survivors join to discuss domestic violence in the midst of this public health crisis and to consider different strategies for providing services and help to those in need. Register online.
LINK  https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-domestic-violence-during-covid-19-virtual
CONTACT INFO	events at radcliffe.harvard.edu

——————————

New Realities, New Data: Nonprofits in Crisis and What Donors Need to Know
Monday, June 8
1-2pm ET
Online
RSVP at https://cep-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fizU2G3lQqCqwALIcy_Asw

——————————

The Alchemy of Us
Monday June 8
6:00 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.brooklinebooksmith.com/events/2020-06/virtual-event-ainissa-ramirez/

Ainissa Ramirez
In the bestselling tradition of Stuff Matters and The Disappearing Spoon, The Alchemy of Us is a clever and engaging look at materials, the innovations they made possible, and how these technologies changed us.

Ainissa Ramirez is a materials scientist and sought-after public speaker and science communicator. A Brown and Stanford graduate, she has worked as a research scientist at Bell Labs and held academic positions at Yale University and MIT. She has written for Time, Scientific American, the American Scientist, and Forbes, and makes regular appearances on PBS’s SciTech Now. She also hosts a podcast called Science Underground.

———————————

Brown Album
Monday, June 8
7:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/psb-presents-porochista

Join Porter Square Books virtually for a reading and conversation with Porochista Khakpour, author of Brown Album, in conversation with V. V. Ganeshananthan!

This event is free to attend, and takes place on Crowdcast.

> From the much-acclaimed novelist and essayist, a beautifully rendered, poignant collection of personal essays, chronicling immigrant and Iranian-American life in our contemporary moment.

Novelist Porochista Khakpour’s family moved to Los Angeles after fleeing the Iranian Revolution, giving up their successes only to be greeted by an alienating culture. Growing up as an immigrant in America means that one has to make one’s way through a confusing tangle of conflicting cultures and expectations. And Porochista is pulled between the glitzy culture of Tehrangeles, an enclave of wealthy Iranians and Persians in LA, her own family’s modest life and culture, and becoming an assimilated American. Porochista rebels–she bleaches her hair an
d flees to the East Coast, where she finds her community: other people writing and thinking at the fringes. But, 9/11 happens and with horror, Porochista watches from her apartment window as the towers fall. Extremism and fear of the Middle East rises in the aftermath and then again with the election of Donald Trump. Porochista is forced to finally grapple with what it means to be Middle-Eastern and Iranian, an immigrant, and a refugee in our country today.

Brown Album is a stirring collection of essays, at times humorous and at times profound, drawn from more than a decade of Porochista’s work and with new material included. Altogether, it reveals the tolls that immigrant life in this country can take on a person and the joys that life can give.

Porochista Khakpour’s debut novel, Sons and Other Flammable Objects, was a New York Times Editor’s Choice, one of the Chicago Tribune‘s Fall’s Best, and the 2007 California Book Award winner in the First Fiction category. Her second novel The Last Illusion was a 2014 “Best Book of the Year” according to NPR, Kirkus Reviews, BuzzFeed, PopMatters, Electric Literature, and many more. Among her many fellowships is a National Endowment for the Arts award. Her nonfiction has appeared in many sections of The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Elle, Slate, Salon, and Bookforum, among many others. She has been guest faculty at VCFA and Stonecoast’s MFA programs, as well as Contributing Editor at Evergreen Review. Born in Tehran and raised in the Los Angeles area, Khakpour currently lives in New York City.

V.V. Ganeshananthan is a fiction writer and journalist. Her debut novel, LOVE MARRIAGE, was longlisted for the Orange Prize and named one of Washington Post Book World's Best of 2008. She co-hosts LitHub's Fiction/Non/Fiction podcast.

————————————

Cool Streets: a Conversation Towards Action
Monday, June 8
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://crcl.columbia.edu/events/cool-streets-conversation-towards-action

As we mourn the loss of so many lives from COVID-19 and violent systemic racism, it’s hard to think about what’s next. But environmental injustice will not pause for our exhaustion. Last summer was the hottest on record and meteorologists forecast an active hurricane season. Communities of color, seniors, and essential workers are disproportionately impacted by both COVID-19 and heat-related illnesses.

How can we combine the resources and skills of designers directly with the imagination and needs of communities to create safe public spaces with those who need it most.

This summer along with Resilient Cities Catalyst, the Center for Resilient Cities and Landscapes is partnering with community based organizations on a new project: Resilience Design Corps. This effort aims to support the design and building of prototypes for cooling in the public realm directly with local community organizations. To begin this effort, we hope you will join us in a conversation about how we can create space that allows for social distancing and is safe and cool for everyone to walk, play, grow, make art, organize, protest, or just rest. Our aim is to start with a reckoning that the design professions have played a role in enforcing racial injustice so that we can move together towards a more just public realm.

During the call, we will hear perspectives on design in the current moment and will discuss the co-creation of design values to guide the work ahead.

We will be joined by:
Daphne Lundi from the Mayor's Office of Resiliency working on the City's urban heat plans and co-founder of BlackSpace
Skye Duncan, director of the Global Designing CIties Initiative at NACTO and contributing author of “Streets for Pandemic Response and Recovery”
Justin Garrett Moore, the Executive Director of the NYC Public Design Commission, founder of Urban Patch, and co-founder of BlackSpace
Emily Weidenhof, the Director of Public Space from NYC Department of Transportation
Mike Lydon from Street Plans and tactical urbanism practitioner
Illya Azaroff, the State Disaster Coordinator for the New York American Association of Architects

————————————

Biosphere 2 Virtual World Ocean Day Webinar: Solutions for Reef Resilience
Monday, June 8
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/biosphere-2-virtual-world-ocean-day-webinar-solutions-for-reef-resilience-tickets-106394504828

Join us for a discussion and Q&A with Dr. Erin Muller, Dr. Stuart Sandin, and Dr. Raquel Peixoto exploring solutions for reef resilience.

Biosphere 2 invites students, educators, parents, families, and all science lovers, to a special conversation with Dr. Erin Muller, Dr. Stuart Sandin, and Dr. Raquel Peixoto in celebration of World Ocean Day. Our panelists will share their insight, research, and stories from the field addressing the current state of Coral Reef's in our oceans and the research they are doing to present solutions for more resilient reef ecosystems in the future. Join us to participate in an in-depth Q&A and facilitated discussion, all on an interactive Zoom Webinar platform.

Bring 1-2 questions for the panelists. A Zoom link to the webinar will be provided the day of the event via email upon registration! If you are planning to join us via smartphone, you will need to download the Zoom app ahead of time on your phone. Thank you!

About the Panelists:
Dr. Erin Muller's research focuses on coral health and disease dynamics. She applies a comprehensive approach that spans from understanding shifts in microbial assemblages of corals to applying hierarchical spatial and temporal models to understand the drivers causing coral-disease outbreaks. Dr. Muller's goal is to determine how coral health and disease change under climate change and ocean acidification conditions. She anticipates that once we understand the mechanisms leading to compromised coral health we can prevent disease outbreaks in our future. In April 2018, Dr. Muller was promoted to Science Director of the Elizabeth Moore International Center for Coral Reef Research & Restoration.
Dr. Stuart Sandin is the Oliver Chair in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego. He is a professor in the Marine Biology Research Division, and he serves as director of the Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation. Sandin’s research focuses on community ecology, investigating how organisms interact in complex marine communities. The majority of his work is conducted in tropical coral reef ecosystems of the Pacific and Caribbean. Sandin has coordinated multiple ship- and land-based expeditions to the remote islands of the central and south Pacific Ocean, with much work conducted in the Line Islands archipelago. Sandin has been using this island gradient and others to study the individual and interacting roles that local human activities and oceanographic context play in the fisheries dynamics and general functioning of coral reef ecosystems. The work in the Pacific has led to the development of the 100 Island Challenge research campaign. Learn more about this project at 100IslandChallenge.org.
Dr. Raquel Peixoto is an associate professor from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and a research associate from the Rio de Janeiro Marine Aquarium (AquaRio) in Brazil. She also coordinates the Beneficial Microorganisms of Marine Organisms (BMMO) Network which seeks to unify and facilitate studies on the manipulation of the microbiome associated with marine organisms. Dr. Peixoto has laid the groundwork for understanding the mechanisms by which the coral microbiome supports coral health. In a 2017 article, Dr. Peixoto proposed the term “Beneficial Microorganisms for Corals (BMC),” which defines the symbionts that promote coral health and can be assembled as a consortium of microbes thought to be beneficial to the coral's health and resilience. This new concept could pave the way for future efforts to improve coral health and potentially restoration efforts.

This event will be moderated by Aaron Bugaj. Aaron is a senior research specialist at Biosphere 2 with a background in environmental engineering and ecology. He has helped guide the Landscape Evolution Observatory through several long-term experiments and consults on a variety of Biosphere 2 projects. He is the manager of the Biosphere 2 Media Lab, an initiative aimed at developing more online resources in science communication for the Biosphere 2 Community.

More info on Biosphere 2 here: https://biosphere2.org/

————————
Tuesday, June 9
————————

Outlook for the Japanese Offshore Wind Market
Tuesday, June 9
3am
Online
RSVP at http://eepurl.com/g4octv

The Asia Wind Energy Association has started a series of webinars with Market Outlooks on the Onshore and Offshore Wind Markets in Asia-Pacific.

Our 2nd Market Session Webinar will discuss the outlook for the offshore wind market in Japan. As the country needs to replace some coal-fired power and nuclear power, the country plans to boost renewable energy. There is a strong fundamental need for offshore wind power in Japan and the government has taken decisive steps to support the sector. The webinar is organized in partnership with Baker & McKenzie.

For more information, please contact us at events at asiawind.org or register at http://eepurl.com/g4octv

——————————

Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020: Biodiversity
Tuesday, June 9
9am - 6pm
Online
RSVP at https://marinesanctuary.org/event/capitol-hill-ocean-week-2020/

The breadth of life in our ocean and Great Lakes is astounding. A healthy planet is essential to our health, well-being, and economic livelihood. Nature provides the clean air we breathe, the fresh water we drink, the food we eat, the medicines we take, and the raw materials we use. It is estimated that, globally, nature provides services worth $125 trillion a year. Nature also contributes up to one-third to global climate change mitigation efforts. Scientific studies document the threats facing our planet from climate change, overfishing and habitat losses, and they also inform the solutions for policymakers. 2020 provides the opportunity for a turning point to begin reversing the trend of biodiversity loss and restoring nature for the good of the planet and all of us who depend on it.

Protecting biodiversity and building a sustainable global economy that protects nature is critical to people’s health and well-being. With its accessible virtual format, Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2020 is the opportunity for people from across the U.S. and the globe to engage in dialogue on actions we can take to conserve the variety of life on Earth for the long term health of our communities and the planet.

—————————————

A Discussion on Black Lives, Protest, and Democracy
Tuesday, June 9
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://ash.harvard.edu/event/discussion-black-lives-protest-and-democracy

SPEAKER(S)  Rhea Boyd, Pediatrician, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Kaneesha Johnson, Ph.D. candidate, Government Department, Harvard University
Leah Wright Rigueur, Harvard Kennedy School
Moderator: Megan Ming Francis, Harvard Kennedy School, University of Washington

DETAILS  Protests continue to sweep across the United States following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Breonna Taylor in Louisville, and countless others at the hands of police violence. Join the Ash Center for a conversation with leading scholars and practitioners about the protests, their place in the long fight for social justice, and what they tell us about the state of democracy in America today.
Panelists include:
Dr. Rhea Boyd, Pediatrician, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Kaneesha Johnson, PhD candidate, Government Department, Harvard University
Prof. Leah Wright Rigueur, Harvard Kennedy School
Prof. Megan Ming Francis (Moderator), Harvard Kennedy School, University of Washington'
This event will be livestreamed on YouTube Live. Attendees registered for this event (link below) will receive a reminder for the livestream fifteen minutes before the event along with a link to the YouTube page where you can participate in the live chat and ask questions during the event.
CONTACT INFO	info at ash.harvard.edu
LINK  https://ash.harvard.edu/event/discussion-black-lives-protest-and-democracy

—————————————

Giving In The Time of COVID-19: An Opportunity for Reflection, Discernment and Action
Tuesday, June 9
12 pm (EST) / 9 am (PST)
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/giving-in-the-time-of-covid-19-tickets-106397082538

This interactive online discussion will consider the role of donors and charitable giving during the COVID-19 pandemic.

We will consider how historical class and race inequities have amplified the impact of the current crisis on Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC). We will also examine our responsibility as donors in the current moment. Prior to the discussion, we recommend that you read Alan Preston’s recent blog post "To Fellow Owning Class Progressives: Time to Step Up!" which can be found here.
In this interactive space for reflection and learning we will consider questions such as:
How do you feel called to show up as a donor in the current crisis?
In what ways, if any, has this crisis changed the way that you give?
How has the economic impact of the current crisis shifted the way you think about the question of "how much is enough?”

The discussion will be co-hosted by Alan Preston and Anita Garcia Morales, Senior Trainers at Class Action from different race and class backgrounds who have co-designed and led many workshops on the intersection of race and class.

Attendance is free, but if you are able, we suggest a donation of $25 to ensure Class Action can continue to deliver online programming like this. The sliding scale is from $0 - $25 (or more), so please don't let money stop you from joining the conversation.
A Zoom link with joining details will be sent to registrants prior to the event.

—————————————

New England Strong – Planning for a Clean Economic Recovery
Tuesday, June 9
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Eastern
Dial-in information will be provided immediately upon registration. If you have any questions, please contact Uchenna Bright at ubright at e2.org.

We all wonder how to rebuild our economy after this dire disruption of COVID-19.  What will this crisis in global health and economies bring?  Can business and government create a recovery strong enough to build our clean economy back better?

Join us to hear insights from New England leaders on how our region and world can take this opportunity to build a better path to net zero and a sustainable future.

Speakers:
Representative Sean Garballey, Commonwealth of Massachusetts House of Representatives, brings the perspective of a policymaker to discuss his current climate bill and others pending in the legislature. As a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, he will also provide insights into plans for public investment in the future.
Celina Cunningham, Deputy Director at the Governor’s Office of Energy in Maine, will present the state and regional vision for the future and the power of climate action as a tool for economic recovery.
Paul Lipke, Senior Advisor for Energy and Buildings at Health Care Without Harm, will discuss the lessons learned in transforming one of our region’s largest sectors, the healthcare sector, into one of sustainability, as well as some of the important steps needed for the decades to come.
Mark Sandeen, Select Board Member in Lexington, MA, will talk about laying the groundwork for a path to the clean economy and to the future we want.  As co-Chair of Lexington’s Getting to Net Zero task force, he will discuss the municipal perspective of opportunities for a clean future, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderator:  Uchenna Bright, E2 Eastern States Advocate

Following the presentations we will open the floor to participants for a robust Q&A.

Even in these trying times, new ideas can guide our way to a strong and sustainable recovery.  Join us to participate in this important discussion on how business and government can make New England stronger.

—————————————

Coding Democracy by Maureen Webb
Tuesday, June 9
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-talk-coding-democracy-by-maureen-webb-tickets-105959154684

MIT Press Live! presents an author talk with Maureen Webb, author of Coding Democracy.

Hackers have a bad reputation, as shady deployers of bots and destroyers of infrastructure. In Coding Democracy, Maureen Webb offers another view. Hackers, she argues, can be vital disruptors. Hacking is becoming a practice, an ethos, and a metaphor for a new wave of activism in which ordinary citizens are inventing new forms of distributed, decentralized democracy for a digital era.

Maureen Webb is a labor lawyer and human rights activist. She is the author of Illusions of Security: Global Surveillance and Democracy in the Post-9/11 World and has taught national security law as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia.

—————————————

Focus on Justice Series Digs into Guantánamo: 18 Years and Counting
Tuesday, June 9
12:30pm EDT (GMT -0400)
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_a8AsNZAbRya3SWAiruIRiA

CAROL ROSENBERG, DAVID COLE, JON SAWYER
New York Times journalist Carol Rosenberg and David Cole, ACLU national legal director, join in a Talks @ Pulitzer online conversation tackling issues from indefinite detention to capital cases.

—————————————

Covid-19: Implications for the Global Economy
Tuesday, June 9
12:30 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-implications-global-economy

SPEAKER(S)  Natalia Volchkova, Assistant Professor and Policy Director,Center for Economic and Financial Research, New Economic School, Moscow
Monica DeBolle, Adjunct Lecturer, Latin American Studies Program, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
Prithwiraj Choudhary, Lumry Family Associate Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
Willy Shih, Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Management Practice in Business Administration, Harvard Business School
Moderator: Rawi Abdelal, Herbert F. Johnson Professor of International Management, Harvard Business School; Director, Davis Center
DETAILS  COVID-19 has created a major and lasting impact on the global economy. Join experts on five of the world’s major economies—the U.S., Brazil, Russia, India, and China—as they discuss the uneven economic shock of this global pandemic, as well as how these economies might recover in the coming years.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-implications-global-economy
CONTACT INFO	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor

——————————

A Just Transition by The Jesuit Forum for Social Faith and Justice
Tuesday, June 9
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-just-transition-tickets-104348449020

The Jesuit Forum invites you to take part in a virtual discussion to address what a Just Transition could look like after COVID-19.

Mirian Vilela (Executive Director of the Earth Charter Initiative), Aliénor Rougeot (Fridays for Future), Mauricio Lopez (Pan-Amazonian Ecclesial Network), and John McCarthy (Canadian Jesuit Coordinator for Ecology) explore the ethical roots of the current ecological crisis, the responsibility of humans to the wider community of life, and the invitation to embrace an integral ecology and a just recovery for a healthy future for the planet.

——————————

State of Food Tech/AgTech Panel + Startup Pitches (On Zoom)
Tuesday, June 9
5:00 PM to 6:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at TO AVOID EVENTBRITE FEES + GET REWARDS POINTS, REGISTER HERE: https://bit.ly/2zJlMnE
EVENTBRITE: https://bit.ly/2Xiz3wx
PRICE GOES UP SATURDAY 6/6 11:59PM PDT/ 12:59AM MDT/ 1:59AM CDT/ 2:59AM EDT/ 7:59AM BDT

Are you a Food Tech/AgTech startup looking to pitch your company in front of an audience and panel of expert VC and Angel judges? This is your chance. Meet, field questions, and get immediate feedback from investors. Our judges will come from the cannabis industry. Network with other investors and founders in the crowd.

——————————

Dante’s Bones:  How a Poet Invented Italy
Tuesday, June 9
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/guy_raffa/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes GUY P. RAFFA—associate professor of Italian Studies at The University of Texas at Austin—for a discussion of his latest book Dante's Bones: How a Poet Invented Italy. He will be joined in conversation by bestselling novelist MATTHEW PEARL, author of The Dante Club and The Dante Chamber.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of Dante's Bones from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About Dante's Bones
Dante, whose Divine Comedy gave the world its most vividly imagined story of the afterlife, endured an extraordinary afterlife of his own. Exiled in death as in life, the Florentine poet has hardly rested in peace over the centuries. Like a saint’s relics, his bones have been stolen, recovered, reburied, exhumed, examined, and, above all, worshiped. Actors in this graveyard history range from Lorenzo de’ Medici, Michelangelo, and Pope Leo X to the Franciscan friar who hid the bones, the stone mason who accidentally discovered them, and the opportunistic sculptor who accomplished what princes, popes, and politicians could not: delivering to Florence a precious relic of the native son it had banished.

In Dante’s Bones, Guy Raffa narrates for the first time the complete course of the poet’s hereafter, from his death and burial in Ravenna in 1321 to a computer-generated reconstruction of his face in 2006. Dante’s posthumous adventures are inextricably tied to major historical events in Italy and its relationship to the wider world. Dante grew in stature as the contested portion of his body diminished in size from skeleton to bones, fragments, and finally dust: During the Renaissance, a political and literary hero in Florence; in the nineteenth century, the ancestral father and prophet of Italy; a nationalist symbol under fascism and amid two world wars; and finally the global icon we know today.

——————————
Wednesday, June 10
——————————

Science, Business, and Vaccine Development to Combat the Pandemic
Wednesday, June 10
8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
Online
RSVP at

SPEAKER(S)  Tarun Khanna, Jorge Paulo Lemann Professor, Harvard Business School & Director, Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University
Gagandeep Kang, Executive Director, Translational Health Science and Technology Institute & Vice Chairperson of The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations
Umang Vohra, Managing Director & Global Chief Executive Officer, Cipla Ltd.
David E. Bloom, Clarence James Gamble Professor of Economics & Demography, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
DETAILS  The objective is to share the mechanics and commerce of vaccine development and the critical role that science and business can play in combating pandemics such as COVID-19. The intent is to foster a collaborative and synchronous effort among science, business, and government to find synergies and solutions as they navigate the current challenges. How does one forge worldwide alliances in healthcare? How can science, business, government, and society collaborate on healthcare imperatives? How does one resolve the logistics and equity of vaccine distribution, and how can credibility and trust be built? This interactive conversation will be presented via Zoom web-conference. Registration is required to attend.
Zoom:  https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_B4iC4wk7TZWpiVENUqQoSA
LINK	 https://mittalsouthasiainstitute.harvard.edu/event/webinar-science-business-vaccine-development-to-combat-the-pandemic/
CONTACT INFO	ira_pundeer at harvard.edu

—————————————

Webinar: The Urban Opportunity - City/Business Collaboration for Sustainable Solutions
Wednesday, June 10
11:00am to 12:00am
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Sj9gMDwbQdmNeVFj2v8j-g
Registration Required

Mayors of the world's biggest, most influential cities are setting ambitious targets to mitigate emissions. However, countries and cities cannot act alone and will require considerable support from the private sector to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and SDG 11. At the same time, businesses recognize the risks that climate change poses. How can city mayors and businesses translate their global climate commitments into practical actions that limit global temperature rise to 1.5’C?

Join Danfoss, the City of Copenhagen and MIT Sustainable Design Lab for a look at the example of EnergyLab Nordhavn and discussion of how Denmark’s organizations are coming together to meet sustainability goals and combat climate change.

Panelists: Jonas Loholm Hamann, Communication & Public Affairs Advisor, Danfoss Cooling & Jørgen Abildgaard, Project Director for the 2025 Carbon Neutral strategy and plan for the City of Copenhagen
Moderator: Alpha Yacob Arsano, Research Assistant at the MIT Sustainable Design Lab and PhD Candidate in Building Technology

We hope for this session to be as interactive as possible, so please come with your thoughts for a Q&A, or feel free to send us a question in advance via the RSVP form.

This discussion is part of the MIT-Denmark “Tomorrow’s Cities” Webinar Series on adapting to the needs of future societies, using Denmark as a case study.

——————————————

Harvard Startup Stories: Kula Bio
Wednesday, June 10
12–1 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-startup-stories-kula-bio-tickets-107219560592

Join the Harvard Office of Technology Development on Zoom for a lunchtime talk featuring founders of Kula Bio, an agri-tech startup commercializing innovations developed at Harvard. Featuring Kelsey Sakimoto, Bill Brady, and Russ Wilcox.

Please contact otd at harvard.edu with any questions.

Featured speakers
Kelsey Sakimoto, Founder and Science Director of Kula Bio
Kelsey Sakimoto.Kelsey has spent over a decade at the intersection of chemistry, engineering and microbiology developing new sustainable technologies. He is the inventor of "Cyborg Bacteria": CO2-fixing bacteria that produce their own tiny solar panels in order to perform photosynthesis at efficiencies beating natural photosynthesis. As a Harvard University Center for the Environment Fellow, he pioneered the production of biological fertilizers from air, water and renewable electricity via the "Bionic Leaf." Kelsey currently leads R&D at Kula Bio, manufacturing robust, sustainable, organic microbial nitrogen fertilizers for modern agriculture. Kelsey earned a PhD in chemistry from UC Berkeley and a BS in chemical engineering from Yale University.

Bill Brady, CEO of Kula Bio
Bill Brady.Bill is an executive and entrepreneur in the sustainable energy and advanced materials industries. He has successfully led large complex global organizations, and has created value in building emerging technology businesses. A frequent presenter on technical and strategic aspects of sustainable energy and materials, Mr. Brady has testified before the United States Senate, Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

Currently, he serves as Founding CEO and Director for Kula Bio, a sustainable and organic nitrogen fertilizer company. Bill is co-founder and director of Monolith Materials, a sustainable carbon black and hydrogen company, and he also serves on the board of directors of advanced material companies Hollingsworth & Vose and Teknor Apex.

Previously, Mr. Brady served as President, Chief Executive Officer and a Director of Mascoma Corporation, a leading industrial biotechnology company. Mascoma’s bioconversion products have been used to produce billions of gallons of biofuels. Mascoma was successfully sold to Lallemand Corporation in November 2014.

As Executive Chairman of Lux Research, he led the development and sale to Bregal Sagemount in 2017.

Mr. Brady also served as Executive Vice President of Cabot Corporation, a $3B specialty chemical company. Throughout his 23-year experience, Mr. Brady held numerous positions at Cabot in the United States and Asia, including President of the $2B Carbon Black business which operated 23 manufacturing plants in 17 countries. Under his leadership, the business completed significant expansions in China and Brazil, and executed a major global initiative in energy efficiency. In addition, he led the commercialization of two start-up businesses at Cabot in ink jet colorants and elastomer composites.

Mr. Brady is a graduate of the University of Scranton with a B.S. in Chemistry and received his M.B.A. from Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Russ Wilcox, Partner at Pillar
Russ Wilcox.Russ Wilcox has 20 years of start-up operating experience, having founded three companies and raised $150 million in private capital. He has led Pillar’s investments in Zapata Computing, Higharc, Cake, Kula Bio, Quadratic 3D, Scripta, Kiwi and Soofa, among others.

Russ previously served as the CEO of E Ink, an electronic paper company, for a decade. The company reached a $200 million run rate and was acquired for half a billion dollars in 2009. At E Ink Corporation, he commercialized electronic paper invented at the MIT Media Lab. E Ink conducted materials research, filed patents, scaled a factory, and shipped tens of millions of displays for the Amazon Kindle and other devices. To date, consumers have purchased more than $10 billion of E Ink-related devices and content. Following E Ink, Russ co-founded Transatomic Power, advancing a source of clean energy; and Piper Therapeutics, conducting pre-clinical studies for an immuno-oncology drug.

Russ actively supports the Boston entrepreneurial community. Since 2012 he has volunteered as an Entrepreneur-in-Residence for the Harvard Business School Rock Center and counseled hundreds of students on achieving their start-up goals. He sits on the Harvard Physical Sciences Accelerator Review Board and was a Board Director for Harvest Automation, a venture-backed developer of agricultural robots. He has been an angel investor in several start-ups, including Disruptor Beam, PowerInbox, Calimmune, Gen9, DriveFactor, and Camino Financial. Russ began his startup career as a product manager at PureSpeech, a speech recognition company co-founded by Jamie Goldstein.

Russ graduated with honors in Applied Mathematics from Harvard College, and was a Baker Scholar at the Harvard Business School. He is an Ernst & Young New England Entrepreneur of the Year, and holds thirty-three issued U.S. patents.

——————————————

New Findings in the Field of Negotiation: Research from the PON Graduate Research Fellows
Wednesday, June 10
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwrf-2vpzsvH9zpR9lXzcVnCKqJ-QYcoWxk

SPEAKER(S)  Samantha Lakin, Ph.D. Candidate, Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Clark University
Fady Khoury, S.J.D. Candidate, Harvard Law School
DETAILS  About the Talks:
Every year, the Program on Negotiation welcomes a group of doctoral students as Graduate Research Fellows. Our Fellows spend a year at PON researching and writing about current topics in the fields of negotiation and mediation, with the goal of publishing their work after their time at PON.
This talk provides an opportunity for two of this year’s Graduate Research Fellows to share and discuss their research findings with the negotiation community.
Samantha Lakin will present her research on “Negotiating Justice in the Immediate Post-Genocide Period in Rwanda.”
Fady Khoury will present his research “Constitutional Design in Divided Societies: Apex Courts in Power-Sharing Democracies.”
LINK  https://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/new-findings-field-negotiation-samantha-lakin-fady-khoury/
CONTACT INFO	dlong at law.harvard.edu

——————————————

Social Connections, Physical Distancing: Building Resilience in Very Strange Times
Wednesday, June 10
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://edportal.harvard.edu/event/social-connections-physical-distancing-building-resilience-very-strange-times

DETAILS  Each of us is reinventing ourselves in different ways as we live and work in this new Not Normal. This presentation will invite you to let go of old ideas about work/life balance and how to foster resilience in yourself and others.
We will cover the basics that we all know but often forget: the importance of down-time, physical motion, thoughtful meal planning, social contact and solitude. We will address concerns about loneliness, depression, anxiety, and escalating tensions with the people we love and the people we fear.
We will also touch on simple mindfulness ‘rescue’ practices that involve breathing and self-compassion, and ways to reach out to supportive people and services when these practices aren’t quite enough.
LINK  https://edportal.harvard.edu/event/social-connections-physical-distancing-building-resilience-very-strange-times

————————————

PIRE CREATE Webinar: Paleoclimatology--Understanding our Climate Through Natural Records
Wednesday, June 10
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.pirecreate.com/webinars2020

Join us for an introduction to the science of paleoclimatology and learn why the past is the key to the future. This webinar will explore how archives found in nature can reveal past changes in the climate system, with an emphasis on knowledge gained from tree rings and cave features.

Who can participate?
This webinar series is open to undergraduate students interested in climate science from all universities and institutions from any country.

Is it necessary to have any previous knowledge to follow the webinars?
These three webinars are introductory sessions and therefore it is not necessary to have any background in the subject. In any case, it is important that participants read the documentation related to each topic before attending the webinar. This documentation will be sent via email once you have registered for the webinar.

What is the PIRE CREATE Project?
PIRE (Partnership in International Research and Education) is a program funded by international science agencies (in the US it is the National Science Foundation), which supports international partnerships that address critical science and engineering problems in a global context, thereby facilitating the development of a diverse, globally-engaged, science and engineering workforce.

PIRE - CREATE is an international collaboration that involves six institutions and 34 investigators from the United States (University at Albany - State University of New York & Columbia University), University of Sao Paulo in Brazil and IANIGLA in Argentina.

We are working to advance paleoclimate research over the Americas to the point where it can transform the way we inform policy- and decision-making at a trans-national level about the risks of climate change and place future projections in a broad historical context. The project is co-funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Sao Paulo State Research Agency (FAPESP).

Who will be leading the webinars?
PIRE CREATE scientists and climate experts will be giving the talks. Our team is composed of many scientists with diverse backgrounds in areas related to the study of climate (geography, chemistry, physics, environmental sciences, geology...). Our team also includes a group of experts in the development of visualization tools, and policy experts working as intermediaries between scientists and politicians at regional, national and international levels.

————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Climate Justice and Vulnerable Communities: Investing in Resilience
Wednesday, June 10
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.
Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

The global coronavirus crisis has laid bare the stark inequalities that exist in our society. The crisis has forced people and governments all over the world to actively challenge status quos and to seek ways to provide basic economic support for all who need it. The climate emergency similarly calls on us to push for transformational changes. Here, we explore how solutions-oriented climate journalism and other forms of digital storytelling can enhance social and environmental justice.
Speaker:
Emilee Gilpin, Journalist, Canada’s National Observer
Jestinne Punzalan & Jocelle Refol, Shades of Sustainability
Moderator:  Sophia Yang

————————————

Persuasive Cartography
Wednesday, June 10
1 pm
Online
RSVP at https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/5ebd720a5506fd3a003f1699

Curator Garrett Dash Nelson welcomes guest Judith Tyner, Professor Emerita of Geography at California State University, Long Beach. Tyner coined the term that gives this segment its title; she will discuss how maps are used to influence opinions and beliefs.

Judith Tyner is Professor Emerita at California State University Long Beach. She taught in the Geography Department over 35 years, where she served as Department Chair for six years and was Director Of the Cartography/GIS Certificate Program from its inception until her retirement. While at CSULB, Dr. Tyner taught beginning and advanced cartography, map reading and interpretation, remote sensing, and history of cartography. She is a member of the Association of American Geographers, the North American Cartographic Information Society, the California Map Society, and the Society of Woman Geographers.

Dr. Tyner is the author of four textbooks on map design and map reading, including Principles of Map Design and The World of Maps: Map Reading and Interpretation for the 21st century. She is also the author of two scholarly books, Stitching the Worldand Women in American Cartography and over 40 scholarly articles.

Garrett Dash Nelson is the Curator of Maps & Director of Geographic Scholarship at the Leventhal Map & Education Center.

——————————————

Robot Stories Session 4: How to further advance robotics technology
Wednesday, June 10
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5301997208477517069

Massachusetts is at the forefront of the robotics revolution. The people and companies that are turning cutting-edge technology into solutions to meet everyday challenges are right in our backyards. This series will give you the inside stories of some well-known roboticists in Massachusetts.

Session 4 - How to further advance robotics technology: Marc Raibert, founder of Boston Dynamics

Marc Raibert has developed advanced robots that can gallop like a cheetah, negotiate 10 inches of snow, walk upright on two legs and even open doors and deliver packages. You’ve seen their videos. Now learn about how M Raibert and his team came up with a unique approach to overcoming hurdles and what shapes robots will take in the future.

Mr Raibert will be interviewed by Shayan Jeanty, a rising senior at Canton High School in Canton MA.

————————————

State of Artificial Intelligence Panel + Startup Pitches
Wednesday, June 10
5:00 PM to 6:30 PM EDT
Online event
RSVP at TO AVOID EVENTBRITE FEES + GET REWARDS POINTS, REGISTER HERE: https://bit.ly/2ZPOFcr
EVENTBRITE: https://bit.ly/2ZRzteH
PRICE GOES UP SUNDAY 6/7 11:59PM PDT/ 12:59AM MDT/ 1:59AM CDT/ 2:59AM EDT/ 7:59AM BDT

Are you an Artificial Intelligence startup looking to pitch your company in front of an audience and panel of expert VC and Angel judges? This is your chance. Meet, field questions, and get immediate feedback from investors. Our judges will come from the cannabis industry. Network with other investors and founders in the crowd.

————————————

Learning Circle: "Science & Cooking (an introduction to chemistry)"
Wednesday, June 10 (Every week on Wednesday until July 15)
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM EDT
Online
This meeting will happen online. To receive connection information, please sign up at least one day before the meeting at: https://learningcircles.p2pu.org/en/signup/online-1368/ .

About Learning Circles:  Learning circles are free, facilitated study groups for learners who want to take online courses. More information about learning circles can be found on the P2PU website: https://www.p2pu.org/en/ .

Registration:  Starting on June 10 and for 6 weeks, BosLab will host a learning circle to help participants study the free edX course "Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (chemistry)" from Harvard University (https://www.edx.org/course/science-cooking-from-haute-cuisine-to-soft-matter ). Participants should sign up to this course prior to joining the learning circle.

Meetings will happen online through videoconferencing. To receive connection information, please sign up at least one day before the meeting at https://learningcircles.p2pu.org/en/signup/online-1368/ .

Preparing for the meeting:
Each week, we will cover a different module of the edX course, which participants are encouraged to study before the meeting:
Week 1 (June 10th): Module 1 - Molecules, Moles, Flavor, and pH
Week 2 (June 17th): Module 2 - Energy, Temperature and Heat
Week 3 (June 24th): Module 3 - Phase Transitions
Week 4 (July 1st): Module 4 - Diffusion and Spherification
Week 5 (July 8th): Module 5 - Heat Transfer
Week 6 (July 15th): Module 6 - Candy and Chocolate!

Prerequisites:  No prior knowledge is required for this learning circle. In the spirit of learning circles, we will organize group activities which will give opportunities for more advanced participants to help beginners and for everyone to improve their understanding of the course in a welcoming environment.

————————————

Sidney Pacific Presidential Lecture - Prof. Alex Pentland - What will the new normal look like?
Wednesday, June 10
7:00pm to 8:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://zmurl.com/sp-cosi

What will a normal day look like in a post-pandemic future? Professor Alex Pentland, one of the most cited scholars in the world and current member of MIT Media Lab, will outline his ideas and thoughts on the topic for the first of our on-line series of Sidney Pacific Presidential Lectures. The discussion will touch upon economic and social aspects as we recover from COVID, and will include a Q&A session at the end.

—————————
Thursday, June 11
—————————

Handshake: Robotics and the Human Touch
Thursday, June 11
12:30 PM – 1:45 PM
Online
RSVP at https://events.swissnexboston.org/HandshakebyAATB

Join us for the next event in our Handshake installation series, Handshake: Robotics and the Human Touch

This next event is a virtual panel event, featuring our artistic duo AATB, and four robotics industry experts from Switzerland and the US, including moderator Steven Rader, Deputy Manager at the NASA’s Center of Excellence for Collaborative Innovation (CoECI), along with:
Roland Siegwart: Founding Co-Director from the Wyss Institute Zurich, Switzerland.
Andra Keay: Managing Director of Silicon Valley Robotics in California, USA.
Jamie Paik: Associate Professor at the Reconfigurable Robotics Lab at EPFL in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The topic of conversation will focus on the interpretation of the robotic installation Handshake, created by AATB, and then feed into an exchange on the future of robotics and human-robot-interaction in light of the COVID-crisis.

Join us for this session on Zoom for an inspiring and dynamic conversation!

Program (EST)
12:30pm — Welcome note + Introduction of Moderator
12:40pm — Introduction of the Panelists and AATB
12:50pm — AATB will introduce the audience to their installation
01:00pm — Installation Discussion
01:15pm — Discussion on robot-human interaction and the future of robotics
01:30pm — Q&A Session
01:40pm — Closing remarks

About the exhibition|
Handshake is a virtual, interactive robotic installation (28 May–28 June)  that includes a platform on which strangers can interact with each other, virtually but also physically, no matter where they are connecting from. Come shake hands with us! The link to the interactive exhibition will be revealed on Thursday, May 28.

This exhibit will be accompanied by a series of conversations that explore some of the questions raised by AATB and create an active exchange with robotics experts from Switzerland and around the globe.

About the Artists|
AATB
In 2018, Andrea Anner and Thibault Brevet started a collaborative practice together. They have been informally working alongside on a number of projects but a common will to explore specific themes emerged. The practice develops around the idea of Non-Industrial Robotics: Three years ago they started experimenting with industrial robotic systems such as robotic arms and industrial automation processes. Together they develop works exploring Human-Machine Interactions through the lens of kinetic and interactive devices. The studio is currently in Residence at Atelier Luma in Arles.

AATB have been nominated for the Swiss Design Awards 2020.
Link to their site: http://www.aatb.ch/

Partners|
Handshake: A Interactive Robotic Installation, was initiated by swissnex Boston and AATB, in close collaboration with the Consulate General of Switzerland in New York, the Swiss Federal Office of Culture, and swissnex San Francisco. This project and its global reach were made possible by the generous support of the global swissnex network, Présence Suisse, and Pro Helvetia.

—————————————

Covid-19: Reopening -- Public Health and the Economy
Thursday, June 11
12:30 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-reopening-public-health-and-economy

SPEAKER(S)  Chi-Man (Winnie) Yip, Professor of the Practice of International Health Policy and Economics, Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Joseph Allen, Assistant Professor of Exposure Assessment Science, Department of Environmental Health, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Judyth Twigg, Professor of Political Science, Virginia Commonwealth University
Karl Lauterbach, Professor of Health Economics and Epidemiology, University of Cologne
Yasheng Huang, Epoch Foundation Professor of International Management and Faculty Director of Action Learning, MIT Sloan School of Management
DETAILS  As global economies gradually reopen, how are governments balancing economic recovery with concerns for public health? This event brings together scholars from economics, public health, and political science to discuss how different regions of the globe are approaching the complex demands of reopening.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/covid-19-reopening-public-health-and-economy
CONTACT INFO	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor

—————————————

How Foundations are Shaping Policy During COVID-19
Thursday, June 11
2-3pm ET
Online
RSVP at https://www.cof.org/event/how-foundations-are-shaping-policy-during-covid-19

A joint webinar between CEP and the Council on Foundations

—————————————

Science Research Mentoring Program Symposium
Thursday, June 11
3:30pm to 4:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_y1_MRDWLQbO9CUxKho5OvQ

The MIT Museum and the Harvard Public Affairs & Communications Office invite you to the 2020 Harvard-MIT Senior Research Mentoring Program Symposium

Let our incredible students tell you about the cool science they have worked on all year!

Event Details:
Ourhigh-schoolstudentswill talk about their science projects, and discuss their experiences in the SRMP program.
Thesymposiumwillrunfrom 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Thesymposiumwillbe hosted as a virtual zoom webinar.
Everyone’sinvited.
The event is completely free but registration is necessary

For more information visit: https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/shrimp

Questions?
Ask Dr. Clara Sousa-Silva (cssilva at mit.edu)

—————————————

Averting Climate Breakdown: Insights from Ecological Economics Speaker: Tom Green 50 minutes
Thursday, June 11
6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-green-rooms-speaker-conversation-4-ecological-economy-tickets-107001476296

THE GREEN ROOMS Speaker & Conversation #4: ECOLOGICAL ECONOMY
A small but growing group of economists has been warning for over half a century that the way modern society defines and measures economic progress is at odds with biophysical constraints. The more GDP goes up, the better off we are supposed to be. Yet soaring levels of inequality have pushed many into despair and aggravated the pandemic. Humanity urgently needs to bring carbon emissions down to zero, but despite climate agreements and policies, emissions continue to closely track the size of the global economy and the more the economy has grown, the more species we have left behind for eternity.

Ecological economists, who ground their theories in biophysical realities, offer new ways to understand the economy and wellbeing. In this session, we’ll explore why the economics profession has been so willingly blind to the climate crisis, and how aiming to live within the donut can be good for people and the planet. Ambitious climate action is stalled by those who see a course correction as a threat to economic progress and business interests. How can artists play a role in lifting society’s economic blindfolds and offer glimpses of alternative futures?

This event will also be live streamed and close captioned. Tell your friends: https://nac-cna.ca/en/cycle/climatechange/greenrooms
The Green Rooms is produced by English Theatre at the National Arts Centre and presented by FOLDA, in collaboration with the Canada Council for the Arts, The City of Kingston, The National Theatre School, and HowlRound Theatre Commons.

—————————————

Climate Change and Its Impact on Gardeners: Webinar
Thursday, June 11
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/climate-change-and-its-impact-on-gardeners-webinar-tickets-107260414788
Cost:  $15

During this online workshop, we will explain the basics of climate change and the likely challenges gardeners will face.

Climate change is the greatest challenge we face and our greatest long-term problem. In a warmer world, weather events will be more severe, sea levels higher, and people will be displaced. The study of climate change is developing very quickly and significant new information is coming out—literally—every day. During this online workshop, we will explain the basics of climate change and incorporate much of this new information, so we can briefly describe our current expectations on the future of the climate.

We will then focus specifically on the likely challenges that gardeners and farmers will face from fewer pollinators, new and different pest species and changes in patterns of temperature and precipitation.

This webinar will be led by Dr. Mitch Wagener, who teaches climate ecology, entomology, and related courses at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury. In 2019, he received the Aquarion Environmental Champion Award, Individual Communication category. That same year Dr. Wagener received an official citation from the Connecticut General Assembly for his efforts in climate change education and community service. His research interests include the impact of historical events—such as the Industrial Revolution—on the environment. Dr. Wagener holds a Ph.D. in Soil Ecology from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, along with an M.S. Stream Ecology from the University of Alaska Fairbanks and a B.S. cum laude in Fisheries and Wildlife from the University of Missouri, Columbia.

Admission is just $5 for Bartlett members and $15 for non-members. Visit our website to register now: https://60674.blackbaudhosting.com/60674/Climate-Change-and-Its-Impact-on-Gardeners-Webinar This webinar will be presented on Zoom.us. Guests do not need a zoom account but it is recommended that you download the app for free ahead of the presentation. https://zoom.us/download Log in information will be sent to you via e-mail upon registration.

If you are interested in becoming a Bartlett member, please visit our website: http://www.bartlettarboretum.org/become-a-member

—————————————

The Broken Heart of America:  St. Louis and the Violent History of the United States
Thursday, June 11
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/walter_johnson/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes WALTER JOHNSON—Winthrop Professor of History and Professor of African and African American Studies at Harvard University—for a discussion of his latest book The Broken Heart of America: St. Louis and the Violent History of the United States. He will be joined in conversation by designer and social entrepreneur DE NICHOLS.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of The Broken Heart of America from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About The Broken Heart of America
> From Lewis and Clark's 1804 expedition to the 2014 uprising in Ferguson, American history has been made in St. Louis. And as Walter Johnson shows in this searing book, the city exemplifies how imperialism, racism, and capitalism have persistently entwined to corrupt the nation's past.

St. Louis was a staging post for Indian removal and imperial expansion, and its wealth grew on the backs of its poor black residents, from slavery through redlining and urban renewal. But it was once also America's most radical city, home to anti-capitalist immigrants, the Civil War's first general emancipation, and the nation's first general strike—a legacy of resistance that endures.

A blistering history of a city's rise and decline, The Broken Heart of America will forever change how we think about the United States.

———————————

Teaching Resilience: Green Infrastructure and Education
Thursday, June 11
7:00 PM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FGUQOQGlROCmMuqbbmQalw

What happens when a watershed group, community decision makers, and schools come together to restore nature in their urban neighborhoods?

In 2015 Charles River Watershed Association [CRWA] partnered with Boston Water and Sewer Commission, Boston Public Schools, and Horsley Witten Group to install Green Infrastructure (GI) at five BPS: Edward M. Kennedy Academy for Health Careers in Fenway, Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale, Rafael Hernandez School on Roxbury, Jackson Mann School in Brighton, and Ellis Elementary School in Roxbury. Curriculum was also created specifically for 5th and 7th grade science teachers to assist in incorporating GI into their curriculum to educate students. In this webinar, we will discuss the integration of GI and education and its benefits to the community.

CRWA uses GI, a nature based solution that uses vegetation, soil, and other materials to naturally manage stormwater runoff, as a means for creating healthier urban and suburban environments. GI has additional benefits such as increasing biodiversity, assisting with cooling, improvements to air quality, and beautification of neighborhoods.

———————
Friday, June 12
———————

One-on-one with Sophia Mathur
Friday, June 12
9am EST (15:00 CEST)
Online
RSVP at http://www.fridaysforfuture.cahttp://www.twitter.com/sophiamathur

On this episode we have with us the Canadian environmental and climate activist Sophia Mathur. She is 12 years old and has been an activist for five years already. She has spoken at national conferences, received national media coverage, marched in many rallies and even sued the government. Sophia talks about her commitment, the law suit and about role of the youth in climate activism.

Climate Action News is our broadcast about action and sustainable solutions. We invite our community, climate advocacy groups, leaders, and businesses to share their knowledge and insights. You can participate actively by commenting live during and after the broadcast. Get instructions or download our app to join the discussion. Welcome!

Hosts and guests
Catarina Rolfsdotter-Jansson, Host, We Don't Have Time
Hosting this global broadcast is Catarina Rolfsdotter-Jansson, an expert moderator, lecturer, and devoted workshop-leader in facilitating sustainable development. Catarina moderates for the EU Commission, the Swedish Government, corporations, local municipalities, and universities. She lectures based on the UN Sustainable Global Development Goals internationally and has TV-skills from her background as a television program host at SVT, Swedish Public Television. She is also content director at A Sustainable Tomorrow.

Sophia Mathur, Member Fridays For Future Canada, Founder Fridays For Future Greater Sudbury, Ontario
Sophia's environmental lobbying to politicians began at age seven and has taken her all the way to the U.S. Congress and the Canadian Parliament with the organization Citizens' Climate Lobby. She embraced Greta Thunberg's call for youth climate action and was the first youth in the Americas to do Fridays for Future strikes, starting in November 2018. Sophia was proud to win the 2019 Canadian National Museum of Nature Youth Inspiration Award. She is one of seven young people taking the Ford Ontario Government to court for weakening Ontario's 2030 climate target with Ecojustice . She will be featured in the documentary CitizenKid: Earth Comes First, to be aired nationally in Canada on World Environment Day, June 5, 2020, on YTV.

http://www.fridaysforfuture.cahttp://www.twitter.com/sophiamathur

———————————

Webinar: The Labor of Fashion, the Global COVID-19 Crisis, and the Politics of Resistance in Bangladesh
Friday, June 12
9 – 10:30 a.m.
Online

SPEAKER(S)  Elora Chowdhury, Professor, Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, University of Massachusetts, Boston
Durba Mitra, Assistant Professor, Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality, Harvard University
Taslima Akhter, Photographer and Organizer, Bangladesh Garments Sramik Shanghati
Barrister Jyotirmoy Barua, Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh
Seuty Sabur, Associate Professor, Department of Economics and Social Sciences, BRAC University, Bangladesh
Dina Siddiqi, Clinical Associate Professor, Liberal Studies, New York University
Nafisa Tanjeem, Assistant Professor, Global Studies and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Lesley University
DETAILS  The global apparel industry is currently facing an unprecedented crisis resulting from the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. Major fashion retailers in the Global North are closing their stores and laying off workers. The same brands that demonstrated strong public commitment for protecting the safety and security of Bangladeshi garment workers after the Rana Plaza collapse in 2013 are not hesitating to cancel or suspend orders or delay payments. Thousands of workers are currently out of work and facing a unique livelihood, as well as a health threat.
Zoom:  https://harvard.zoom.us/j/99118872916
LINK	https://mittalsouthasiainstitute.harvard.edu/event/webinar-the-labor-of-fashion-in-bangladesh/
CONTACT INFO	Selmon Rafey
srafey at fas.harvard.edu

———————————

New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable (#166)
Friday, June 12
9:00 am-12:30 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roles-of-natural-gas-as-we-decarbonize-new-england-essential-bridge-andor-fundamental-barrier-tickets-102639916754
Cost:   $0 - $90

Future of Natural Gas in the Electricity Sector in New England
Half of the electricity generation capacity in New England is now fueled by natural gas - up from under fifteen percent twenty years ago. This transition from coal and oil to natural gas has reducedNew England's emissions profile and improved the efficiency of its electricity generation.

But what role can and should natural gas play in a decarbonizing New England electricity grid? While renewable resources such as wind and solar allow us to decarbonize, their output is variable and dependent on weather. Natural gas (or something else) needs to fill the gaps as a backup energy source. Meanwhile, New England's efforts to electrify the building and transportation sectors will likely drive up overall electricity demand.
Will gas-fired electricity generation simply ramp down and transition into back-up reinforcement for renewables until energy storage can take its place? Or will there still be some essential role for natural gas generation even as we reach 80-100% decarbonization?
If gas use is substantially diminished in the electricity sector, will gas-fired generators remain financially solvent and be there if and when we need them?
Relatedly, can the greenhouse gas emissions profile of fossil-fuel-based natural gas in New England be reduced meaningfully through the introduction of renewable natural gas and carbon capture and sequestration?

Susan Tierney, Senior Advisor, Analysis Group
Melanie Kenderdine, Principal, Energy Futures Initiative
Ken Kimmell, President, Union of Concerned Scientists
Dan Dolan, President, New England Power Generators Association

Future of Natural Gas in the Building Sector in New England
Currently, over 60 percent of natural gas consumption in New England occurs in buildings, for space and hot water heating, cooking, and clothes drying. Natural gas usage in buildings has increased over the past decade due to its substitution for dirtier oil and propane in existing structures and its role as the preferred heating source in new construction (when it's available).

With increasing recognition of the importance of electrifying our building stock through more efficient, less polluting technologies (such as advanced heat pumps for heating, hot water, and drying; and induction stoves for cooking) in achieving our economy-wide decarbonization goals and requirements, New England now finds itself at a crossroads. Retrofitting our existing building stock to switch from natural gas to more efficient electricity-based technologies is a challenging task that will likely take decades, and pre-existing gas heating systems may often be retained for back-up. While we have begun to incentivize this transition through energy efficiency programs and other means, some cities and towns in New England, spearheaded by Brookline and Cambridge, are calling for prohibiting natural gas in new construction altogether.

Meanwhile, methane leakage in our gas distribution systems is an ongoing environmental and safety concern. Substantial investments (and improved practices and procedures) are underway to shore up the systems. Some are advocating for greening our natural gas supply by developing renewable natural gas and injecting it into the distribution system, or by utilizing geothermal district heating. These trends and options have significant implications for the future of our gas distribution systems and gas utilities, including the potential for stranded assets, and point to the need for new approaches to gas system planning and related state and local requirements.

David Ismay, Undersecretary for Climate Change, Massachusetts EEA
William Akley, President of Gas Operations, Eversource
Sheri Givens, VP, US Regulatory & Customer Strategy, National Grid
Zeyneb Magavi, Co-Director, HEET

—————————————

Beyond Headlines and Hashtags - LIVE Friday Review of Pandemic News
Friday, June 12
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/channel/sustain-what

Another week has passed in the first pandemic of the 21st century, with thousands of new stories posted and printed, yet questions still often outnumbering answers.

Each Friday, the Earth Institute Initiative on Communication and Sustainability hosts a lunchtime review of COVID-19 headlines and next steps featuring Pulitzer winner Laurie Garrett, NBC’s Robert Bazell, Jon Cohen of Science Magazine and Wendy Wertheimer, formerly of WHO & NIH.

Explore more Sustain What episodes on YouTube at j.mp/sustainwhatlive or subscribe on Periscope at pscp.tv/revkin.

Solutions Journalism Network: solutionsjournalism.org

The Earth Institute Initiative: sustcomm.ei.columbia.edu
Contact Andy Revkin with questions or ideas for future segments: @revkin on Twitter or andrew.revkin at columbia.edu

—————————————

Safe Communities: Violence as a Public Health Crisis
Friday, June 12
2:30 – 5 p.m.
Online
RSVP at http://www.cvent.com/events/safe-communities-violence-as-a-public-health-crisis/event-summary-8c37765e4eb6490d8dc97984c2ff2875.aspx
Cost:  $0 - $35

SPEAKER(S)  Robert Kinscherff, National Center for Mental Health and Juvenile Justice; past Board of the Society on Terrorism Research; William James College faculty
Jaime Barrett, Director of the Cliniical Support Unit, Cambridge (Massachusetts) Police Department; Assistant Professor of Psychology, Harvard Medical School
Nancy Rappaport, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; focus on collaboration between education and psychiatry
COST	Free/CEUs $35.00

CONTACT INFO	Registration required. For iInformation:
Dean Abby: dean_abby at williamjames.edu, (617) 327-6777 x1545
DETAILS
We are living through an epidemic of acts of major violence in our community, heightening fear, revulsion, and anger. This is a public health issue, an assault on our communities, rather than many individual acts. We struggle with responses that range from building defenses against these acts and actors to dealing preventively with the conditions and maladaptations that lead to this violence. Our speakers bring much research, experience, and thought to this catastrophe, and help us to understand and respond.
LINK  http://www.cvent.com/events/safe-communities-violence-as-a-public-health-crisis/event-summary-8c37765e4eb6490d8dc97984c2ff2875.aspx

—————————————

Extinction Rebelllion [XR] SF Friday Online Activism
Friday, June 12
3 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/SF_Online_Activism_200612/
Zoom:  https://zoom.us/j/727108084?pwd=YVhTOTk1TFlodzMwc3ZqWkg2ckNoZz09 Meeting ID: 727 108 084 Password: 082166 One tap mobile +16699006833,,727108084# US (San Jose)

XRSF has been holding weekly online activism with a regenerative atmosphere.

We are in extraordinary times, but this is still a good time to spread messages of hope, empowerment, support, compassion, empathy and ACTION. Join us on Fridays for some connection and activism.

CALL AGENDA (HIGH LEVEL): 10m check-in & land acknowledgement 10m calm the limbic system (Guided meditation, poems, qigong, laughter yoga) 15-20m digital activism in breakout rooms 15-20m mutual aid (Sharing what you need with the group, in breakout rooms & sheet) 10m calm the limbic system (Exercise, meditation, gratitudes)

The call will run from 3-4pm EST.

—————————————

The Deportation Machine:  America's Long History of Expelling Immigrants
Friday, June 12
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/adam-goodman-presents/register
Free - $3 contribution suggested at registration

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes ADAM GOODMAN—an historian in the Latin American and Latino Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago—for a discussion of his book The Deportation Machine: America's Long History of Expelling Immigrants.

Contribute to Support Harvard Book Store
While payment is not required, we are suggesting a $3 contribution to support this author series, our staff, and the future of Harvard Book Store—a locally owned, independently run Cambridge institution. In addition, by purchasing a copy of The Deportation Machine from our affiliate Bookshop page, you support indie bookselling and the writing community during this difficult time.

About The Deportation Machine
Constant headlines about deportations, detention camps, and border walls drive urgent debates about immigration and what it means to be an American in the twenty-first century. The Deportation Machine traces the long and troubling history of the US government's systematic efforts to terrorize and expel immigrants over the past 140 years. This provocative, eye-opening book provides needed historical perspective on one of the most pressing social and political issues of our time.

In a sweeping and engaging narrative, Adam Goodman examines how federal, state, and local officials have targeted various groups for expulsion, from Chinese and Europeans at the turn of the twentieth century to Central Americans and Muslims today. He reveals how authorities have singled out Mexicans, nine out of ten of all deportees, and removed most of them not by orders of immigration judges but through coercive administrative procedures and calculated fear campaigns. Goodman uncovers the machine's three primary mechanisms—formal deportations, "voluntary" departures, and self-deportations—and examines how public officials have used them to purge immigrants from the country and exert control over those who remain. Exposing the pervasive roots of anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States, The Deportation Machine introduces the politicians, bureaucrats, businesspeople, and ordinary citizens who have pushed for and profited from expulsion.

This revelatory book chronicles the devastating human costs of deportation and the innovative strategies people have adopted to fight against the machine and redefine belonging in ways that transcend citizenship.

————————
Sunday, June 14
————————

Extinction Rebelllion [XR] Baltimore Community Support Circle
Sunday, June 14
7 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/Community_Support_Circle_200614/
Join Zoom Meeting https://JHUBlueJays.zoom.us/j/97647125587
Meeting ID: 976 4712 5587 One tap mobile +19292056099,,97647125587# US (New York)

As our world is rapidly engulfed in the coronavirus pandemic and we continue extended social distancing, we are called to create and discover new forms of virtual community through which we can collectively process these challenging times. Instead of our usual climate grief circle, we will be holding virtual meetings to share our anxieties, fears, grief, and anger about the covid19 crisis.

We will structure our circle much like our in-person gatherings, starting with meditation, check in's, open sentences, a sharing circle and engaging in some practice's which will help us to process our emotions on a visceral level.

This will run from 7 to 8:30

—————————————————

RSVP at https://www.therecoverysummit.com

> From June 15th-19th 2020, more than 60 of the world’s leading authorities will share their latest thinking on the global economy, leadership, managing change, innovation, disruption and resilience over five days.

Listen to inspiring messages on hope and overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Watch presentations and interviews covering the latest thinking on the future of business and the strategies needed to survive and thrive in the new normal.

Register for free below and discover the strategies, mindsets and practices to lead yourself, your team or your organisation through lockdown and recession to recovery and growth.

————————
Monday, June 15
————————

Boston New Technology COVID-19 Tech Showcase #BNT114
Monday, June 15
4:00 PM – 5:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-new-technology-covid-19-tech-showcase-bnt114-registration-103046751608

Join members of BNT's 50k network to:
See 6 innovative and exciting local COVID-19 Tech demos, presented by startup founders
Network virtually with attendees from Boston, Austin and beyond
Ask the founders your questions
Please register with a valid email address and you will immediately receive an email with the link you need to join this webcast and our online group!

—————————
Tuesday, June 16
—————————

Farmers' Market at Harvard Opening Day
Tuesday, June 16
12 – 6 p.m.
Harvard, Science Center Plaza, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge

DETAILS  We are excited to announce that we will be opening the Farmers' Market at Harvard on TUESDAY, JUNE 16th, from 12-6 p.m.!
The market will be modified this year to create a safe shopping environment for everyone: masks, gloves, handwashing stations, new layouts and social distancing protocols.
Many of your favorite vendors are returning! We will also continue to accept SNAP with a weekly maximum SNAP Match of $15.
LINK  https://dining.harvard.edu/farmers-market
CONTACT INFO	farmersmarket at harvard.edu

Editorial Comment:  Local Food Systems - The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated).”

To subscribe to the Boston Food System list:
https://elist.tufts.edu/wws/subscribe/bfs
To be removed / unsubscribe from the Boston Food System list:
https://elist.tufts.edu/wws/signoff/bfs

——————————————

Books at Baker: Live Zoom Event with Harvard Professors John Macomber and Joseph Allen
Tuesday, June 16
3:30-4:30 p.m. ET
Online
RSVP at https://hbs.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1QG7wpw-RfaGyVpN6SEc6g

Join Harvard Business School for their Books at Baker series featuring Harvard Professors John Macomber and Joseph Allen on Tuesday, June 16 from 3:30-4:30 pm.

Register in advance to receive a Zoom link.

Prior to inviting workers to return to office buildings that have been abandoned during the coronavirus crisis, companies should explore ways to boost their buildings’ defenses against the disease, say John D. Macomber, senior lecturer at Harvard Business School, and Joseph G. Allen, a professor of Harvards T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who have co-authored the book Healthy Buildings: How Indoor Spaces Drive Performance and Productivity. After all, buildings that don’t bring in enough fresh air can put employees at greater risk of getting sick and can also reduce worker productivity. In a post-COVID-19 world, a healthy building—complete with improved ventilation and air quality, plus new technologies like touchless elevators and sinks—will be seen as the first line of defense against the disease.

Please join the coauthors on Tuesday, June 16, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. ET when they will discuss their book and answer questions.

**********
—————
Upcoming
—————
**********

——————————
Wednesday, June 17
——————————

Understanding the AI Development Pipeline in Health Care
Wednesday, June 17
11 – 11:30 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://executiveeducation.hms.harvard.edu/thought-leadership/webinar-series/understanding-ai-development-pipeline-health-care

SPEAKER(S)  Andrew Beam, Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics, Harvard Medical School; Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health
DETAILS  As applications of AI in health care expand, leaders must understand what problems benefit most from advanced AI approaches, the processes that are required to implement an AI strategy, and its potential harms. This Harvard Medical School executive education webinar will explore these critical issues through case studies, and provide a framework to help leaders understand how AI can help their organizations create and capture value in health care.
LINK  https://executiveeducation.hms.harvard.edu/thought-leadership/webinar-series/understanding-ai-development-pipeline-health-care

—————————————

Global perspectives on intimate partner violence and safety in the home during the COVID-19 pandemic
Wednesday, June 17
11 a.m. – 12 p.m.

SPEAKER(S)  Karestan Koenen, Professor of Psychiatric Epidemiology, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Lily Kay Ross, Postgraduate, Department of Sociology, Gender and Criminology, University of Otago
Peg Hacskaylo, Founder/CEO, National Alliance for Safe Housing, Inc. (NASH)
Gudrun Burnet, CEO of Standing Together, Co-founder of Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance (DAHA)
DETAILS  The COVID-19 pandemic has led to sheltering in the home for "safety" but what if you don't feel safe in your home? This forum will discuss intimate partner violence and the challenges that have emerged related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Panelists from the USA, New Zealand, and the UK will discuss issues of domestic violence in their prospective countries, ways in which this is being addressed, and how we can promote safety during this time. This forum will end with a Q&A session with the audience.
Zoom:  https://harvard.zoom.us/j/94391935048
CONTACT INFO	Shaili Jha
sjha at hsph.harvard.edu
Courtney White
cowhite at hsph.harvard.edu

—————————————

Contact Tracing and Technology: A Deep Dive
BKC CO-HOSTS CONVERSATION ON DIGITAL DATA AND PUBLIC HEALTH
Wednesday, June 17
11 am ET
Online
RSVP at https://digitalsolutionstocovid19.splashthat.com

Jonathan Zittrain, Margaret Bourdeaux, Mary Gray, Andrew McLaughlin, Mona Sloane

As many US states begin to loosen stay-at-home guidance related to the pandemic, public health officials have stressed the importance of implementing effective contact tracing, in addition to testing and a multitude of other responses to the pandemic.

Join us on Wednesday, June 17th at 11 am ET for a “Contact Tracing and Technology: A Deep Dive,” organized by the COVID Tech Task Force, and co-sponsored by the Berkman Klein Center, NYU’s Alliance for Public Interest Technology, TechCrunch, Betaworks Studios, and Hangar.

> From 11 am to 12 pm ET, the event will kick off with a conversation between Jonathan Zittrain, Berkman Klein Center faculty director, Margaret Bourdeaux, Research Director for the Program for Global Public Policy at HMS, Mary Gray, BKC fellow and Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research, Andrew McLaughlin, former Deputy CTO for the White House, and Mona Sloane, NYU Alliance for Public Interest Technology to explore how digital data and public health tools might usefully supplement the well-established practice of contact tracing. The panel will dig into mobility data, the approach of “exposure notification” versus other possibilities for the use of digital data, and the challenges – particularly around privacy and security – that these possibilities raise.

Following the first session, hear from speakers such as Jonathan Jackson, founder of Dimagi, and Daniel Burka, leading COVID-19 efforts for New York State, for an extensive discussion on contact tracing/exposure notification applications and an exploration of some of the technology that is or will be available in the US.

Through conversations like these, the Berkman Klein Center aims to build bridges across public health and technology disciplines and communities of practice and to help inform state and community leaders, as they make urgently needed policy decisions in response to the pandemic.

—————————————

Virtual TechMeeting - Sustainable Construction
Wednesday, June 17
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/403749872060539147

> From urban planning to material manufacturing to transportation to building construction, the Construction sector has a significant footprint. Companies are now embracing more sustainable processes, and the sector benefits from an array of sustainable construction innovations. This webinar will cover some of the trends and innovations shaping the future of the Construction sector including mew materials, circular economy models, modular construction, and energy efficiency.

The webinar will start with a fire side chat with industry experts followed by a startup pitch session.

French American Innovation Catalyst
https://www.meetup.com/French-American-Innovation-Catalyst-Boston

——————————————

PIRE CREATE Webinar: Visualizing Change--Transforming Data into Actionable Information
Wednesday, June 17
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.pirecreate.com/webinars2020

Graphical representations help convey complex concepts in a succinct and accessible manner. Learn how the PIRE team is using visualization tools to communicate science. Come away with the skills you need to provide actionable information for policy-makers.
[...]

The Bridge: Natural Gas in a Redivided Europe
Thursday, June 17
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at

SPEAKER(S)  Thane Gustafson, Professor of Government, Georgetown University
Simon Blakey, Energy Consultant, SAB Global Energy
Moderator: Aurélie Bros, Senior Fellow, Energy Project, Davis Center; Lecturer on Government, Harvard University
Discussant: Rawi Abdelal, Herbert F. Johnson Professor of International Management, Harvard Business School; Director, Davis Center
DETAILS  Three decades after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the breakup of the Soviet empire, the West faces a new era of East-West tensions. Any vision of a modern Russia integrated into the world economy and aligned in peaceful partnership with a reunited Europe has abruptly vanished. Two opposing narratives vie to explain the strategic future of Europe, one geopolitical and one economic, and both center on the same resource: natural gas. In The Bridge, Thane Gustafson, an expert on Russian oil and gas, argues that the political rivalries that capture the lions share of media attention must be viewed alongside multiple business interests and differences in economic ideologies. With a dense network of pipelines linking Europe and Russia, natural gas serves as a bridge that unites the region through common interests. Tracking the economic and political role of natural gas through several countries Russia and Ukraine, the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, and Norway. The Bridge details both its history and its likely future. As Gustafson suggests, there are reasons for optimism, but whether the gas bridge can ultimately survive mounting geopolitical tensions and environmental challenges remains to be seen.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/bridge-natural-gas-redivided-europe
CONTACT INFO	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor

——————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Identifying Top Actions for Climate Leaders: What is the New Story We Need to Tell?
Wednesday, June 17
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.
Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

Using the participatory elements of a design jam, we will brainstorm to identify ideas and solutions for effective climate leadership. Participants will work collaboratively to identify tangible actions they may take in their personal climate leadership practice. We will also explore creative communications methods for climate action.
Hosted by:
Jesi Carson, Participedia and Vancouver Design Nerds
Tara Mahoney, SFU CityStudio

———————————

What You See Is What You Get  - Or Is It?
Wednesday, June 17
1 pm
Online
RSVP at https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/5ebd7277d75f424500debfb9

Curator Garrett Dash Nelson leads a lively discussion with map collector and researcher PJ Mode, whose love for old and unusual maps of the world led to a fascination with unconventional maps whose purpose is not fact-based, but more persuasive.

PJ Mode grew up in Indiana and graduated from Cornell University with a concentration in what would today be called computer science. He then spent three years on active duty as a naval officer, then attended the Harvard Law School. Mode worked for the Washington law firm then called Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now Wilmer Hale), where he spent most of the next 35 years followed by a position as Special Counsel to Citigroup for another decade.

A student and collector of old maps since 1980, he now focuses on researching and collecting “persuasive cartography,” maps intended primarily to influence opinions or beliefs – to send a message – rather than to communicate geographic information. His collection lives at Cornell University, and Mode’s website at persuasivemaps.library.cornell.edu describes the subject and the collection, with links to high-resolution images and detailed notes on over 800 maps.

Garrett Dash Nelson is the Curator of Maps & Director of Geographic Scholarship at the Leventhal Map & Education Center.

———————————

Virtual Event: EurekaFest 2020
Wednesday, June 17
5:00pm to 6:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://lemelson.mit.edu/events/eurekafest-2020

Hosted by the Lemelson-MIT Program, EurekaFest is a celebration that is designed to empower young inventors!

2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the Lemelson-MIT Program and although our celebration will not be in Washington, D.C. as planned, we are planning a unique, virtual EurekaFest on Wednesday, June 17th from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. ET.

You will meet high school students who participated in the 2019-2020 InvenTeam initiative, and college students who won the 2020 Lemelson-MIT Student Prize. This impressive group of students from across the country are tackling real-world problems through invention. You will also hear from Andrei Iancu, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and Carol Dahl, Executive Director of The Lemelson Foundation, as they discuss the importance of invention in today’s world.

Visit http://Eurekafest.org for all the info!

——————————

Writers Speak | How the West Stole Democracy from the Arabs
Wednesday, June 17
6 – 7 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IOoQmNDlRSiU_e7fGwPg0A

SPEAKER(S)  Elizabeth F. Thompson, Farsi Chair of Islamic Peace, School of International Service and Professor of History, American University
Sunil Amrith, Mehra Family Professor of South Asian History, Interim Director of the Mahindra Humanities Center, Director of the Joint Center for History and Economics, Harvard University
Claire Messud, Joseph Y. Bae and Janice Lee Senior Lecturer on Fiction, Harvard University
DETAILS  Elizabeth F. Thompson in conversation about her new book, How the West Stole Democracy from the Arabs: The Syrian Arab Congress of 1920 and the Destruction of Its Historic Liberal-Islamic Alliance, with Sunil Amrith and Claire Messud.
Register for a zoom link:  https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IOoQmNDlRSiU_e7fGwPg0A
LINK  https://mahindrahumanities.fas.harvard.edu/event/elizabeth-f-thompson

——————————

Sleep Better: A live, virtual workshop
Wednesday, June 17
8:00pm to 8:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/j/96802571729

Learn lifestyle tips to improve the quality of your sleep. Practice restorative yoga and relaxation to wind down at night. No yoga experience necessary. Wear comfortable clothes and bring a folded towel, if possible. Facilitator: Zan Barry is a senior program manager in Community Wellness at MIT Medical specializing in sleep health. She is also a yoga instructor (RYT 500).

—————————————————
Thursday, June 18 - Friday, June 19
—————————————————

Plastics and the Environment: Science Meets Public Policy
Thursday, June 18 - Friday, June 19
Online
RSVP at https://environmentalsolutions.mit.edu/pesmpp/

MIT's Environmental Solutions Initiative hosts a virtual workshop convening scientists, policymakers, foundations and the business community on the issue of mitigating the environmental harms of plastic pollution. “Plastics and the Environment: Science Meets Public Policy” is a two-day workshop to explore opportunities for policy makers and scientists to inform each other’s challenges and questions on plastic use, design, disposal and recycling. Attendees will participate in panel and plenary sessions, converse during and after the conference through online chat-rooms, join breakout sessions with focuses on material science, recycling, and local, national and international policy making, and receive networking information and a documentary video about the workshop.

The workshop will feature a fireside chat between U.S. Senator Dan Sullivan and California Secretary of State Alex Padilla, and a plenary address from Rwandan Director General of Environment and Climate Change Juliet Kabera.

Contact Name:  pesmpp at mit.edu

—————————
Thursday, June 18
—————————

Extinction Rebellion Online Facilitation Training
Thursday, June 18
10 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://forms.organise.earth/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=928738&lang=en

Join us for a training for how to be more effective at facilitating online meetings in this time of covid. We will cover how you can adapt to facilitating online as well as tech. We are asking you to sign-up because we would like you to review some online tutorials beforehand (we expect this will take 30-45 minutes). That will give us more chance to be interactive and discuss during the training.

This facilitation is put on by the international support team.

Please sign up to receive materials and the Zoom link: https://forms.organise.earth/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=928738&lang=en

You can also email info at rebellion.training

This training will run from 10 to 12pm

———————————

Renewable Energy: Opportunities for the Next Decade
Thursday, June 18
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2297417858693879309

Our second Navigate Webinar will focus on the future of renewable energy, highlighting technological advancements, innovation opportunities, and policy changes necessary to help catalyze renewable energy growth and transform our energy sources. This exclusive webinar will help you understand the everchanging cleantech ecosystem and provide you the opportunity to ask questions to help you and your organization navigate the upcoming decade.

Our expert panelists will provide an insider perspective for startups on market opportunities, areas of growth, and partnership, and funding strategies.

Our Webinar Series is brought to you with invaluable support from NYSERDA and CleanCapital. Can't make the live webinar? Check out our podcast series based on our webinars (anchor.fm/necec). For additional information about the Navigate Webinar Series, check out our playlists on YouTube (youtube.com/theNECEC).

————————————

Ahhhhh!: How to Negotiate the Nonnegotiable in an Era of Discontent
Thursday, June 18
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_L7Iy7QyFSqyyhggrOIVaqQ

SPEAKER(S)  Daniel L. Shapiro, Founder and Director, Harvard International Negotiation Program, Associate Professor of Psychology, Harvard Medical School/McLean Hospital, Affiliate faculty, Program on Negotiation
DETAILS  About the talk:  Our world is awash in conflict and tension. The combusting mix of the pandemic, economic turmoil, political divisiveness, and emotional turbulence has turned negotiation on its head. What seemed easy to deal with in the old normal is no longer so. Why is this, and what can we do about it? Drawing on his global research in conflict resolution, Dr. Shapiro will explore a framework he has developed that illuminates underlying psychological complexities fueling present-day conflict—and will offer insight on how to move forward.
LINK  https://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/negotiate-the-nonnegotiable-in-era-of-discontent/
CONTACT INFO	dlong at law.harvard.edu

——————————————

Hempcrete 101: Back to the Future for Natural, Carbon-Beneficial Buildings
Thursday, June 18
1pm-2pm Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://nesea.org/be-event/hempcrete-101-back-future-natural-carbon-beneficial-buildings

Ready to put your specification where your aspiration is? Take a deep dive into the rich world of carbon-beneficial materials and help lead our industry in responsible design and construction solutions. Hempcrete is a bio-composite material created from the woody core of the hemp plant combined with a lime-based binder. Trusted around the world as a robust, high-performance sustainable building system, HempLime entered the US market a decade ago and is poised to take the industry by storm. Learn the technical and performance characteristics, demystify how to specify and construct with this proven material, and join a growing community of radically responsible industry stewards.

Learning Objectives:
Summarize the history of hemp and hempcrete, the regulatory barriers in the US that are slowly easing, and describe examples from pioneers in hemp building from Europe and the first projects in New England
Identify sources for hemp and lime, and explain methods for installation of this alternative material, the state of research internationally versus in the US, and what considerations are necessary from a code standpoint to build
Use Hempcrete as a monolithic solid-wall construction material for building carbon-beneficial envelopes as an alternative to current assemblies used in high performance buildings that are entangled multi-layered assemblies more heavily laden with embodied energy
List low-cost material solutions to reduce toxins in the building and improve the healthfulness of a building

——————————

People and the Planet: Dan Sullivan and Alex Padilla
Thursday, June 18
5:30pm to 6:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/people-and-the-planet-dan-sullivan-and-alex-padilla-tickets-106240076930

The MIT Environmental Solutions Initiative is proud to host Republican United States Senator Dan Sullivan of Alaska and Democratic Secretary of State Alex Padilla of California for the latest entry in our People & the Planet lecture series. Senator Sullivan and Secretary Padilla will participate in a virtual fireside chat on "government action on the environment at the federal and state levels." Both our distinguished guests have championed successful environmental legislation and will share their experiences and their views on the prospects for bipartisan action on major environmental challenges, the roles of regulatory and legislative approaches to those challenges, and the different levers for policy action available to the federal government and the states.

This free event will also serve as the keynote to a two-day workshop on "Plastics and the Environment: Science Meets Public Policy." Tickets to the workshop can be purchased here.

Dan Sullivan was sworn in as Alaska’s eighth United States Senator on January 6, 2015. He serves on the Armed Services Committee; the Environment and Public Works Committee; the Veterans' Affairs Committee; and the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, where he is Chairman of the Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard. He is currently an infantry officer in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, were he was recently promoted to Colonel. He was the sponsor of the Save Our Seas Act of 2018 addressing the plastic debris crisis in the oceans and American coastlines, and is now the sponsor of the Save Our Seas 2.0 Act.

Alex Padilla is the California Secretary of State. He previously served two terms in the California State Senate, representing the San Fernando Valley. His legislative activities there included authoring the California plastic bag ban bill. He graduated from MIT with a degree in mechanical engineering and is a former member of the MIT Corporation (Board of Trustees).

—————————————

How to Talk About the Climate Crisis in These Urgent, Complicated Times
Thursday, June 18
7:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://nadiacolburn.ck.page/e3ce4dbdb1

Presented by Extinction Rebelllion [XR] Boston and Nadia Colburn, PhD
Racial injustice, threats to democracy, covid--our world is full of very serious emergencies, and we are being called to urgent action in a number of ways--and amidst it all, the climate and ecological crisis continues.

It's difficult for many of us to talk about climate crisis to the people in our life at the best of times, and it can feel especially difficult now--but the very fact that it's difficult is a sign of just how essential these conversations are. Come join us for an evening of practice and practical tips for how to talk about the climate crisis with friends and family.

We know that, as dire as these other crises are, we cannot stop our work for the environment and to stop pouring carbon dioxide into the atmosphere: our time is running out to avoid catastrophic consequences of climate change that will affect all of us and all life on earth. But there is a cycle of silence around the topic. It can feel uncomfortable to bring up the climate crisis, awkward, out of place. This spiral of silence is convenient for the fossil fuel industry, which has spent 1 billion dollars since the Paris Agreement on spreading false and misleading information. That's why top climate scientists and activists say that one of the most important things we can do to help stop the climate crisis is talk about it!

This evening is designed for both beginner activists, who have little or no experience talking about the climate crisis, and for seasoned activists who want to practice honing their message and building bridges between the climate movement and other movements and groups of people --we'll get together in small break out rooms and practice. You'll also be given practical tips and resources for how to bring the topic up in conversation, how to connect it to your own life story and interests, and how to connect it to other pressing things happening in our world now--or in the future. We can only address the urgency of the climate crisis if we break the silence and come together to work collectively to address this urgent issue.

This evening is based on four short How to Talk About the Climate Crisis videos by Nadia Colburn, PhD. Nadia is a writing teacher and coach and will be joining us to help lead the presentation. We recommend watching the videos in advance but it's not a requirement.

Come join us and invite your friends and family to join us too! It should be a fun, supportive evening!

————————————————
Friday, June 19 - Sunday, June 21
————————————————

MIT COVID-19 Challenge: Latin America vs. COVID-19
Friday, June 19 - Sunday, June 21
7:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://covid19challenge.mit.edu/latam-vs-covid19/

Join us for the Latin America vs. COVID-19 virtual hackathon, a 48-hour event to build solutions that address the most pressing issues of the COVID-19 crisis in Latin America.

————————
Friday, June 19
————————

Climate Action News:  One-on-one with Mindy Lubber
Friday, June 19
9am EST
Online
RSVP at https://www.wedonthavetime.org/climate-action-news/one-on-one-with-mindy-lubber

Mindy Lubber is CEO and president of Ceres, a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. She has worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has founded the Green Century Capital Management and served as President of the National Environmental Law Center.

Host
[...]

Decolonizing Ourselves Co-Learning
Friday, June 19
10 am to 12pm
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/decolonizing_ourselves_200619/

Please join us for an Etinction Rebellion [XR] International Support Team event about how we can learn to decolonize ourselves. Given the vivid reminders this month about how pervasive racism still is in the US, this is important work for us all to do.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/96536836889

—————————————

[...]

3-4pm EST.
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/SF_Online_Activism_200619/

XRSF has been holding weekly online activism with a regenerative atmosphere.

We are in extraordinary times, but this is still a good time to spread messages of hope, empowerment, support, compassion, empathy and ACTION. Join us on Fridays for some connection and activism.

CALL AGENDA (HIGH LEVEL): 10m check-in & land acknowledgement 10m calm the limbic system (Guided meditation, poems, qigong, laughter yoga) 15-20m digital activism in breakout rooms 15-20m mutual aid (Sharing what you need with the group, in breakout rooms & sheet) 10m calm the limbic system (Exercise, meditation, gratitudes)

Zoom Info: https://zoom.us/j/727108084?pwd=YVhTOTk1TFlodzMwc3ZqWkg2ckNoZz09 Meeting ID: 727 108 084 Password: 082166 One tap mobile +16699006833,,727108084# US (San Jose)

—————————
Saturday, June 20
—————————

The Mass Poor People’s Assembly & Moral March on Washington
Saturday, June 20
Online
RSVP at https://actionnetwork.org/forms/rsvp-for-june-20-2020-mass-poor-peoples-assembly-moral-march-on-washington

The Mass Poor People’s Assembly & Moral March on Washington is going digital! On June 20th, we will hold the largest digital and social media gathering of poor and low-wealth people, moral and religious leaders, advocates, and people of conscience in this nation’s history. A global pandemic is exposing even more the already existing crisis of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, the war economy and militarism, and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism. On June 20, the 140 million poor and low-wealth people across this nation will be heard!

The climate crisis is also a justice crisis.

Our mission to build an equitable and inclusive climate movement is only possible if we continue to fight for the health, safety, opportunity, and basic human rights of all people.

We must continue to listen to the communities and families hit first and worst by the climate crisis and center their voices. We must stand in solidarity in the face of collective threats. Only by understanding what the crisis means for all of us can we work together for truly just and equitable solutions.

During the event, we’ll be listening, learning, sharing, and building power. This is our fight.

We hope you will join us.

————————
Monday, June 22
————————

Gutman Library Book Talk: The 60 Year Curriculum: New Models for Lifelong Learning in the Digital Economy
Monday, June 22
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LO914DA9R9-QTdF8pTpTQA

SPEAKER(S)  Jim Honan, Senior Lecturer on Education, HGSE
Chris Dede, Timothy E. Wirth Professor in Learning Technologies, Technology, Innovation, and Education Program, HGSE
John Richards, Lecturer on Education, HGSE
Henry H. Leitner, Chief Innovation Officer and Associate Dean of the IT Master's Program, DCE
DETAILS  The 60-Year Curriculum explores models and strategies for lifelong learning in an era of profound economic disruption and reinvention. Over the next half-century, globalization, regional threats to sustainability, climate change, and technologies such as artificial intelligence and data mining will transform our education and workforce sectors.

This cutting-edge book describes the evolution of new models—covering computer science, inclusive design, critical thinking, civics, and more—by which universities can increase learners’ trajectories across multiple careers from mid-adolescence to retirement.
LINK  https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LO914DA9R9-QTdF8pTpTQA
CONTACT INFO	myanne_krivoshey at gse.harvard.edu

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Local Voices Network (lvn.org) was hosting conversations across Boston in gathering places such as libraries, community centers, etc. with residents to surface underheard voices and to better understand hopes and concerns, which are then made available to all participants as well as members of the media.

We have recently transitioned our conversations over to Zoom, and have been hosting conversations with people across our chapters (MA, NY, WI, AL) acutely affected by COVID-19 (food pantry and grocery store workers, faith leaders, students/professors, etc.) and some really powerful stories have emerged.

We are now opening the conversations up to anyone in our communities who wants to come together and share their frustrations, struggles, and hopes surrounding COVID-19 in a 3-5 person (60-75 min) conversation. Each conversation will be recorded, transcribed, indexed using natural language processing (AI) technology, and made available to policy makers and our media partners (such as the Boston Institute of Nonprofit Journalism and WBUR).

I'll be hosting three conversations in the next couple of weeks that I wanted to invite you to join. Please find the links online at lvn.org/boston.
Thanks and take care,
Jess

Jess Weaver
Head of Local Voices Network - Boston
Cortico: fostering a healthy public sphere
jess at lvn.org
617.655.8412

————————————

Living With Heat - Urban Land Institute report on expected climate impact in Boston
https://boston.uli.org/about/impact/

————————————

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.

To subscribe to the Boston Food System list:
https://elist.tufts.edu/wws/subscribe/bfs
To be removed / unsubscribe from the Boston Food System list:
https://elist.tufts.edu/wws/signoff/bfs

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Boston Science Lectures:  https://sites.google.com/view/bostonsciencelectures/home
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/
Extinction Rebellion:  https://xrmass.org/action/
Sunrise Movement:  https://www.facebook.com/SunriseBoston/events/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse. To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.