[act-ma] 7/23 Race Relations in Revolutionary Cuba: A Personal Story with Dr Gloria Caballero

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed Jul 22 19:53:17 PDT 2020

yoav at masspeaceaction.org writes

*Race Relations in Revolutionary Cuba: A Personal Story*

*July 23 @ 7:30 pm** - 9:00 pm*

What happened to George Floyd simply does not happen in Cuba.

In a recent article
<https://www.resumen-english.org/2020/06/why-there-are-no-george-floyds-in-cuba/> the
distinguished scholar August H. Nimtz pointed out that “ If the murder
of George Floyd has its origins in the institution of racial slavery, as
some would argue, then we should expect to see similar outcomes in Cuba.
It existed there almost a century before being planted in what would
become the United States. And it outlived America’s “peculiar
institution” by two decades. But what happened to George Floyd simply
does not happen in Cuba.”

Why? What has been done in Cuba to uproot racism in the face of
tremendous challenges including more than five decades of aggressive
policies by the US including war, terrorism, and blockade? Is there no
racism in Cuba today?

In 2000 Fidel addressed the issue of racism in a speech in Harlem in
which he said: I am not claiming that our country is a perfect model of
equality and justice… It was some time before we discovered that
marginality and racial discrimination with it are not something that one
gets rid of with a law or even with ten laws, and we have not managed to
eliminate them completely, even in 40 years.”

Presenter: *Dr Gloria Caballero*, Ph.D., 2008, University of
Massachusetts Amherst. Her research interests include women and gender
studies, with a focus on diversity and inclusion, literary theory, race,
the formation of racialized nations, the power of storytelling, film
studies, women directors, and Afro-Cuban contemporary visual art.

Dr Gloria Caballero grew up in Cuba and lived there during the Special
Period. In this online discussion she will address these issues from a
personal and academic perspectives.

<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAtcuirqzwvGdY4CQmY1bTlMQka9__BMl82>Click
here to register for this event
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAtcuirqzwvGdY4CQmY1bTlMQka9__BMl82>.
First in a series of online discussions on Antiracism and Peace.

Sponsors: Latin America Solidarity Coalition of WMASS * Massachusetts
Peace Action* Traprock Center for Peace and Justic

Solidarity
Yoav