[act-ma] Hope 2020

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed Jul 29 20:11:16 PDT 2020

The Hope 2020 Conference is in progress online until Aug 2nd

Hope includes a diverse look at the implications of technology on
society.  Much of the conference is being lives streamed free but there
are parts of it that are only available to ticket holders.

Check it out!

 From their webpage

The 13th Hackers On Planet Earth (HOPE) conference will be held entirely
online from July 25th to August 2nd, 2020

H.O.P.E. stands for /Hackers On Planet Earth/, one of the most creative
and diverse hacker events in the world. It's been happening /since 1994/.

Thousands of people from around the world come to HOPE. Please join us
for nine full days and nights of activities, including more of the
provocative and enlightening speakers that the HOPE conferences are
known for. The conference will make innovative use of online streaming
and collaboration forums to create a unique experience that is sure to
be satisfying.

In the past we've had fascinating talks, inspirational keynotes, and
workshops on every topic from lockpicking to how to make a FOIA request.
HOPE has showcased new movies, had cool live performances, done live
radio broadcasts, and much, much more.

Now imagine all of that happening online! It seems impossible, but with
the hard work and dedication of our huge volunteer staff, we're able to
pull it off.

Unlike previous conferences, which were held in Manhattan, this one will
be entirely online. Speakers, workshops, keynotes and other content will
be scheduled, and will include live Q&A and interaction with registered
attendees. Attendees will also be able to interact with each other.

We're literally only limited by our imaginations and how many volunteers
come on board to help build the event. At the very least, we'll have a
conference equivalent to previous HOPEs. At best, we'll have so much more.

Shifting the conference to happen entirely online requires massive
coordination and more involvement from more people. We'll need to
improve in the areas where we fell short and make the magic that HOPE
conferences are known for even better.

This site will continue to provide frequent updates on all aspects of
this. Please explore it to get answers to any questions you might have
and, if you don't see something addressed here, please write to us at
hope at hope.net <mailto:hope at hope.net>. We will do our best to get back to
you and/or address your concerns.

https://scheduler.hope.net/hope2020/schedule/#2020-07-29