[act-ma] 10/22 Dr. Peniel Joseph on MLK and Malcom X.

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Oct 20 11:19:58 PDT 2020

An online conversation with Kevin Peterson and Dr. Peniel Joseph on MLK
and Malcom X.

Public · Hosted by Boston Public Library
<https://www.facebook.com/bostonpubliclibrary/?eid=ARA46i-C4bmB4pKL1-WpfpXjzDdG09y3IkXf1mEzNhWBxAAQ_e2lGCup3Nka6vNKICLuxyg_hOztFcKa&fref=tag>
and The New Democracy Coalition
<https://www.facebook.com/newdemocracycoalition/?eid=ARCfGJhsF8COovRwV0GOU87YBVIeQ_l8xaubWTiQXaz_kpYng3w8UWjWbZBJ7v7yRUf2iTtqBxGV6uyl&fref=tag>

Thursday Oct. 22 at 7 PM – 8:30 PM

On line event Tickets
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-with-dr-peniel-joseph-on-martin-luther-king-jr-and-malcolm-x-tickets-121126780461?aff=efbeventtix&fbclid=IwAR2OL5P7ZPklmMz0m7YWkhuxj-FjAlDwDEQaklEMRYN9atOG1tKM5I0S--E>

We are elated to announce that Dr. Peniel Joseph will join us for an
evening of discussion about his new double biography of Martin Luther
King Jr. and Malcolm X. It is a stunning account of two men shaped and
molded in Boston. Dr. Joseph is among our nation's top historians.

Popular accounts of the 1960s-era civil rights movement are often
reduced to the story of two extraordinary visionaries: Malcolm X and
Martin Luther King Jr. In his book The Sword and the Shield Peniel E.
Joseph argues that by focusing on their differing doctrines of
self-defense versus nonviolence, we’ve been blind to the scope of their
shared activism and communion. Join Kevin Peterson andDr. Peniel Joseph
of a forthcoming biography on King, for a online conversation about how
the legacies of these civil rights leaders informs the current struggle
for racial justice.
This dual biography of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King upends
longstanding preconceptions to transform our understanding of the
twentieth century's most iconic African American leaders.

To most Americans, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. represent
contrasting ideals: self-defense vs. nonviolence, black power vs. civil
rights, the sword vs. the shield. The struggle for black freedom is
wrought with the same contrasts. While nonviolent direct action is
remembered as an unassailable part of American democracy, the movement's
militancy is either vilified or erased outright. In The Sword and the
Shield, Peniel E. Joseph upends these misconceptions and reveals a
nuanced portrait of two men who, despite markedly different backgrounds,
inspired and pushed each other throughout their adult lives. This is a
strikingly revisionist biography, not only of Malcolm and Martin, but
also of the movement and era they came to define.

https://www.facebook.com/events/338792160572483/