[act-ma] 11/26 National Day of Mourning

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Nov 20 06:06:47 PST 2020

National Day of Mourning

50th anniversary National Day of Mourning 11.26.20 12 noon Cole's Hill, Plymouth, MA (hill above Plymouth Rock)
E-mail: info at uaine.org Website: http://www.uaine.org
ORIENTATION FOR 50th ANNIVERSARY NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING 11.26.20
Masks Up!
WHAT IS NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING?
An annual tradition since 1970, Day of Mourning is a solemn, spiritual and highly political day. Many of us fast from sundown the day before through the afternoon of that day. We are mourning our ancestors and the genocide of our peoples and the theft of our lands. NDOM is a day when we mourn, but we also feel our strength in action. Over the years, participants in Day of Mourning have buried Plymouth Rock a number of times, boarded the Mayflower replica, and placed ku klux klan sheets on the statue of William Bradford, etc.
WHEN AND WHERE IS DAY OF MOURNING?
Thursday, November 26, 2020 (U.S. "thanksgiving" day) at Cole's Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 12 noon SHARP. Cole's Hill is the hill above Plymouth Rock in the Plymouth historic waterfront area.
WILL THERE BE A MARCH?
Yes, there will be a march through the historic district of Plymouth. Plymouth agreed, as part of the settlement of 10/19/98, that UAINE may march on National Day of Mourning without the need for a permit as long as we give the town advance notice.
PROGRAM: Although we very much welcome our non-Native supporters to stand with us, it is a day when only Indigenous people speak about our history and the struggles that are taking place throughout the Americas. Speakers will be by invitation only. This year's NDOM will have livestreaming from Plymouth as well as messages from Indigenous struggles in many homelands!
Please note that NDOM is not a commercial event, so we ask that people do not sell merchandise or distribute leaflets at the outdoor program. Also, we ask that you do not eat (unless you must do so for medical reasons) at the outdoor speak-out and march out of respect for the participants who are fasting. Finally, dress for the weather!
SOCIAL: There will be NO pot-luck social this year due to COVID-19.
TRANSPORTATION: We have discouraged buses and carpooling this year due to COVID. If you cannot get to Plymouth, you can watch online!

DONATIONS: Monetary donations are gratefully accepted to help defray the costs of the day and of UAINE’s many other efforts during the year: https://www.gofundme.com/f/uaine-20202021-fundraiser
FOR UPDATES: Please join and check the UAINE facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UAINE for updates on National Day of Mourning this year. Our website uaine.org will be updated, but not as quickly or frequently.
COVID-19 has hit Indigenous communities very hard, and we want to ensure that no one gets sick from attending National Day of Mourning. Everyone must wear a mask covering their mouth and nose – no exceptions!

See Less

https://www.facebook.com/events/2856778324541197/