[act-ma] 12/20 Journalist Chris Hedges - "The Culture of Despair"- music Dean Stevens & Rob Flax

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed Dec 16 19:55:21 PST 2020

Here is what's happening virtually in December and January at Community
Church of Boston!
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/57c10024c202/ccb-programs-jill-stein-nov-1st-4450386?e=3e8e4cf5c6>

*Sunday, December 20TH*
*, 2020 at 11:00 AM & More*

*"The Culture of Despair" with Chris Hedges*

The rupture of social bonds throughout American society has created a
culture of despair, one where individuals and groups seek affirmation in
acts of self-destruction. How do we restore those bonds? And if we cannot
what will it mean for the United States and the world?

*• Chris Hedges*, who has an M.Div. from Harvard Divinity School where he
studied under James Luther Adams, is an ordained Presbyterian minister. He
is also a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist for The New York Times, where
he worked for fifteen years as the Middle East Bureau Chief and Balkan
Bureau Chief during the war in the former Yugoslavia. He is the author of
numerous New York Times best-sellers including War is a Force That Gives Us
Meaning, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America and
Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt. He is the host of the Emmy-nominated
show On Contact for RT America. He has taught at Columbia University, New
York University, Princeton University and The University of Toronto. He
also teaches students enrolled in the B.A program through Rutgers
University in the New Jersey prison system.

*Music by Dean Stevens and Rob Flax*

*Rob Flax *is an award-winning multi-instrumentalist, composer, and
educator from Evanston, IL. He has performed with many musicians nationally
and internationally, including opening for B.B. King and Tower of Power,
playing viola and violin with the Trans Siberian Orchestra and YouTube star
Jacob Collier, upright bass in an Argentine tango ensemble, mandolin and
fiddle in various bluegrass bands, electric violin in several rock bands,
collaborations with modern dancers, and more.

For several decades *Dean Stevens* has delighted audiences of all ages
throughout the Americas. An exuberant performer of distinctive style and
wit, he combines an intricate, self-taught guitar style with a versatile
and expressive singing voice.

*Please support CCB Fighting for Peace and Justice since 1920.
paypal.me/CCBJustice
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=44e223b9a1&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*

*Click on the link below to join this program:

*[image: Join the Zoom program here.]
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=8cc3a9725a&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*Meeting
ID:* *895 5257 5898**Password: 246499*
*To access by One Tap Mobile phone:**+13126266799,,89552575898#* US
(Chicago)*+19292056099,,89552575898#* US (New York)
*Dial by your location:*
       * +1 312 626 6799 US* (Chicago)
        *+1 929 205 6099 US* (New York)
        *+1 301 715 8592 US* (Germantown)
        *+1 346 248 7799 US* (Houston)
        *+1 669 900 6833 US* (San Jose)
        *+1 253 215 8782 US* (Tacoma)

*CCB Sunday Programs in December & January.*

*Tuesday, December 22nd at 7 PM:*  *"Push Away the Darkness, Sing in the
Light!" **featuring Dean Stevens, Bennett & Lorraine Hammond, and invited
guests!*
Join us online at The Community Church of Boston for song, virtual safe
conviviality as best we can conjure up, and Holiday enough joy to spread
around!
*December  27th, 2020 & January 3rd, 2021* *Justice, Joy & Peace!*
No Sunday Service
*Wednesday, January 13th at 7 PM:*  *“Access and Disability Justice” with
Maria F. Cabrera & Charles G. Baldwin* *Introduction by Ed Pazzanese
(Families Creating Together)*
Join us for a conversation on the topic of Access and Disability Justice in
response to the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disability Act of
1990 (ADA). After a history of social activism, strategic partnerships,
architectural regulations, and government  policies - what is Access now?
*Sunday, January 17th at 11 AM:*
 *“Hubert Harrison:  The Struggle for Equality, 1918-1927” with Jeffrey B.
Perry*
This is the second volume of the biography of Hubert Harrison (1883-1927),
the “Father of Harlem Radicalism. It covers his work with the Liberty
League, the International Colored Unity League, and other organizations;
 and his editing of “The Voice,” The New Negro,” Marcus Garvey’s “Negro
World,”  and “The Voice of the Negro.” Special attention will be paid to
his 1924 writings for “The Boston Chronicle.”
*Music by Tem Blessed*
*Sunday, January 24th at 11 AM:*  *“Our Bigger Than Life Former Minister:
Remembering Rev. Donald Lothrop”* *with Dean Stevens, Rev. David Carl
Olson  and Karla Lothrop Wight Williams*
For 39 years of CCB’s enormous ministry to the multitudes in the mid-20th
Century, at the helm was a remarkable leader named Donald Lothrop. Rev.
David Carl Olson (also our former minister)  and Dean Stevens will engage
in a conversation about Rev. Lothrop, fruit of endless hours in our
archives, searching the enormous record of the correspondence, media
clippings, sermons and writings of Donald Lothrop. We will hear a recording
of Lothrop’s last sermon at CCB, in 1993. We will also be joined by Karla
Lothrop Williams Wight, Donald Lothrop’s daughter, who grew up in this
church, and has an inside perspective on CCB during those giddy and
troubled days, World War II to Vietnam.
*Music by Dean Stevens & Rev. David Carl Olsen*
*Sunday, January 31st at 11 AM:*
 *“Trabajo cultural para nuestra liberación  (Cultural Work For Our
Liberation)” with Dey Hernandez*
Deymirie (Dey) Hernández Vázquez is the Project Coordinator for Agitarte
Project and a member of Papel Machete and Curator/Art Director of the book,
"When We Fight, We Win!" Dey is a bicultural worker, interdisciplinary
artist, permaculturist, educator, and Board Member and has been a part of
many Agitarte projects since 2008. She received her Master of Architecture
(MArch) from the University of Puerto Rico. Dey currently lives in Boston
where she is a movement artist with Danza Orgánica, a social justice
oriented contemporary dance theater company.
*Music by The Foundation Movement*
*Virtual Film Screening & Talkback on Wednesday, January 27, at 7 p.m.
RE-EVOLUTION: THE CUBAN DREAM with Director Cray Novick*
         Diving into the streets of Havana, we meet change-makers in Cuba
today. Speaking to thought leaders in the U.S. and Cuba, history is made
present as our characters trace their place in Cuban history to a trail of
revolution and reform.  As social and economic freedoms expand, the search
begins for reconciliation, solutions to inequality, and a collective Cuban
dream.            From the frontlines of standing Rock, to refugee
cooperatives in Athens, Cray Novick is an award-winning documentary
filmmaker telling intimate stories that highlight our shared humanity. Cray
is best known for his work on the mini-series “Re-Evolution: The Cuban
Dream.” In 2018, he founded True Spectrum Media, a film, podcast, and XR
studio based in Denver, CO.

*Our Purpose* Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the
study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals
to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all
forms of social and economic life.
------------------------------
*Staff* *Christle Rawlins-Jackson,* Office and Publications Manager *Dean
Stevens*, Interim Administrator *Luis Alonzo Guzman,* Custodian and Cook *Xinli
Xu,* Bookkeeper
*Board of Directors* Charlie Welch, President Alan Clemence, Vice
President  Sandra Ruiz-Harris, Treasurer Dick Keshishian, Clerk Jim
Casteris, Ron Elbert, Ed Pazzanese, David Woodruff, Judith Woodruff
*Thanks for Reading* The team at the Community Church of Boston wants to
extend a hearty 'thank you' to all of our wonderful readers. You make our
community shine, and we want to keep that going! If you're not a regular
just yet visit our web site
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=90f22330dd&e=3e8e4cf5c6>
learn more about us. *Copyright © 2020 Community Church of Boston, All
rights reserved.* You're receiving this email because you provided
Community Church of Boston with your email address at a Sunday forum or
other event. *Our mailing address is:*
Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02116