[act-ma] 1/20 No Honeymoon for Biden

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon Dec 28 18:42:03 PST 2020

*Boston May Day Coalition <https://www.facebook.com/bostonmdc/> writes*

Inaugurating an Agenda for Working People
Join us on Wednesday, January 20, on the Boston Common, Parkman
Bandstand, 3 PM EST – 6 PM EST (

**
Boston Common, Parkman Bandstand
Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at

The corona virus has taken a devastating toll on so many of us who have
done so much to keep this country running. While we have been dying,
Wall Street has been soaring. Back in late March, Wall Street received a
bailout to the tune of a potential 6 trillion dollars while working
people received a pittance in comparison. For millions, the bailout ran
out months ago. Through this sheer compulsion, millions have been forced
to work in hazardous conditions where they become ill and the horrendous
death toll continues, well over 300,000 and counting. Who is doing most
of the dying? The elderly, healthcare workers, workers where we shop,
the working poor, parents of infected children, prisoners. In the
existing racist society, folks from oppressed nationalities are dying in
disproportionate numbers while police brutality is rampant. Deportations
will continue and migrant camps will remain. Wall Street was bailed out
with tax cuts and big fat stimulus checks and we were thrown under the bus.
In this context, people voted in record numbers against the political
virus--- Donald Trump. However, the defeat of Teflon Don does not
represent a mandate for the incoming Biden/Harris regime. Our choice was
between a catastrophic disaster and a potentially manageable
catastrophe. We can do better! Biden is tied to the 1994 crime bill,
migrant camps, killer drones, etc. Harris has a record as a prosecutor
of jailing folks from oppressed nationalities. The war on the poor will
continue and the Democrats will call for patience and reconciliation.
They will tell us we have to wait in line. Enough! Isn’t it about time
that we take matters into our own hands? Mass organization and
mobilization is the only language these people understand. It is the
only language equipped to confront the new regime in the period ahead.
It is how we achieve empowerment. Maybe you feel alienated and didn’t
vote. We can make a difference if we get organized and take action. This
is how working people have been empowered in the past and we can do it
again. The attacks will continue until we stop them. This is how we can
defeat Trumpism. They will try to implement Trumpism without Trump. As a
basis for defending our lives, rights, and communities, we are putting
forward the following demands:
1) We demand an immediate bailout of working people and the oppressed,
not the wealthy elites. More cash payments to working people. Restore
all previous unemployment benefits from the state and federal
governments! Moratorium on all evictions and foreclosures.
2) We demand that the Federal Government immediately provide universal
free healthcare for all who reside in the US, regardless of immigration
status. Federal, state, and local governments must treat the opioid
crisis as a healthcare issue and not a law enforcement issue.
3) We demand immediate hazard pay for all workers currently working
outside of their homes in order to compensate for the sacrifices they
are making. No liability protections for employers who endanger the
health and safety of workers. Workers should not have to work if they
feel their health and safety are endangered.
4) We demand that cops committing extrajudicial murder of African
Americans and others be held fully accountable.
5) We demand that all undocumented residents have immediate access to
driver’s licenses and be granted immediate legal permanent resident
status. Halt deportations and release detainees. Close the camps.
Reunite the families!
6) We demand that the Federal Government fund a massive public works
program at union scale wages to construct universal guaranteed housing,
hospitals, daycare, and other services for all residing in the US.
7) We demand an end to the garrison state and the closing of the
hundreds of military bases all over the world so that the war budget can
be used to provide for our needs here at home. All the wars must end! We
demand an end to the blockades of Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, and N. Korea.
8) Climate change is an existential crisis. We demand that the Federal
Government fund a massive program to produce mass transportation, energy
conservation systems, ecologically sustainable agriculture, and convert
the economy to renewable energy sources to drastically reduce the
production of greenhouse gases.
9) We demand the immediate restoration of affirmative action and other
programs providing reparations for the institutionalized racism in this
country.
10) We demand full equal rights for women, free government funded
childcare, gender pay equality, reproductive rights, an end to
discrimination.
11) End police brutality and attacks against transgender folks. For
transgender rights now!
12) Cancel all student debt, medical debt, and credit card debt!
For a world where human needs are put before profits. A world without
borders, prisons, police, ICE, structural racism, poverty, homelessness,
xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, ageism, …… For workers democratic
control over production, distribution, our lives, and communities. We
must form mutual aid organizations to look after each other, as
Washington, state, and local governments are certainly not doing that.
For more info: call 617-230-9382

Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/events/395129694932368?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22search_results%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark%22%7D]%7D>