[act-ma] Tell Harvard No Outsourcing Now!

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:36:19 PDT 2021

Dear All,

Despite a protest last week, management at Harvard’s Division of Continuing
Education has not backed off plans to outsource custodial services. This is
dangerous because outsourced custodians do not receive the retirement
benefits and health plan choices which directly hired workers get. As
Harvard has announced plans
<https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2021/3/8/gay-plans-for-full-fall-return/>
for a full return in Fall, and currently has an almost $42 billion endowment
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/29/metro/harvard-endowment-posts-strong-returns/>,
any outsourcing of custodial work, while we still face a pandemic, is
completely unneeded and unacceptable. If allowed, it will hurt local
workers and their families.

Please call or email Dean Dr. Nancy Coleman of Continuing Ed at 617
495-2930 or dean at extension.harvard.edu. Suggested message:

*I urge you to use your influence to ensure that custodial services at the
Division of Continuing Education are not outsourced. Essential Harvard
workers deserve retirement benefits and health plan choices! The activist
community will be watching to ensure that justice is done in this matter.*

The outgoing voicemail will say you can't leave a message but please ignore
this & leave one anyway! You can call or email anytime, and it would be
great if there were a lot of voicemails & emails to be opened Monday
morning.

Images are attached for use on social media, etc. If you use Facebook an
event for this protest is here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/2777805109177704>.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, Harvard Union of Clerical & Technical Workers
[personal capacity]

(they/them)