[act-ma] 7/22 Solidarity! Prashad, Danto & Fletcher on Cuba & Haiti (Thursday, 7:00 Eastern)

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Tue Jul 20 06:29:38 PDT 2021

Please do share this email widely. Also, feel free to reach out if your
organization wishes to be listed as a co-sponsor during the conversation.
We talk live with Vijay Prashad, Ezili Danto, and Bill Fletcher, Jr. about
how to address the Crisis in the Caribbean.

7/22 (Thursday, 7:00 p.m. Eastern) Live, interactive conversation about *urgent
solidarity work with Cuba and Haiti* featuring renowned activist,
journalist and scholar Vijay Prashad, political commentator, labor
organizer and author, Bill Fletcher, Jr., and outstanding human rights
lawyer and activist, Ezili Dantò - live on Zoom/streamed on Facebook.
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/encuentro5/617-adjunct-lit-life-smallwood-doherty-thursday-700-eastern-4939440?e=197ff7c2ec>

*CLICK HERE TO JOIN SHELTER & SOLIDARITY ON ZOOM*
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=4fdd6a0239&e=197ff7c2ec>
Shelter & Solidarity Thursday, July 22, 2021, 7:00 p.m.

*Building Solidarity with Cuba and Haiti from the Belly of the Beast*
Crisis in the Caribbean

Makers of two of the world's most consequential revolutions, the people of
Cuba and Haiti have paid the price for attempting to set forth a freer and
more just world - with forced reverse-reparations, sanctions, invasions,
and constant threats of "regime change." By July 2021, in diverse ways,
these matters have come to a head. With our conversation on Thursday, we
will try to come to terms with the complex responses of both peoples while
keeping a focus on what *we* have to do - "we" as in the activists in the
heart of the Empire. Our guests are long-time organizers, each challenging
US imperialism and white supremacy while building power among social
movements and communities in the United States.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN SHELTER & SOLIDARITY ON ZOOM
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=6273d13fea&e=197ff7c2ec>

SHARE THIS EVENT ON FACEBOOK
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=1fc2df129b&e=197ff7c2ec>

*Ezili Dantò/Marguerite Laurent *is a performance poet and playwright. She
is the author/performer of the one-woman performance series - Red, Black &
Moonlight. She is a human rights lawyer, cultural and political activist
and the founder and president of the Ezili's Haitian Lawyers Leadership
Network.

*Bill Fletcher, Jr. *has been active in workplace and community struggles
as well as electoral campaigns. He has worked for several labor unions in
addition to serving as a senior staffperson in the national AFL-CIO. He is
the former president of TransAfrica Forum; a Senior Scholar with the
Institute for Policy Studies; and in the leadership of several other
projects. Fletcher is the co-author (with Peter Agard) of “The
Indispensable Ally: Black Workers and the Formation of the Congress of
Industrial Organizations, 1934-1941”; the co-author (with Dr. Fernando
Gapasin) of “Solidarity Divided: The crisis in organized labor and a new
path toward social justice“; and the author of “‘They’re Bankrupting Us’ –
And Twenty other myths about unions.”

*Vijay Prashad *is a historian, journalist, commentator, and widely
published author of more than twenty books. He is the Executive-Director of
the Tricontinental: Institute for Social Research, the Chief Editor of
LeftWord Books, and the Chief Correspondent for Globetrotter - a project of
the Independent Media Institute.