[act-ma] Extended interview on St. Vincent Nurses Strike

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Sep 11 09:21:27 PDT 2021

Extended interview on strike

As Tenet Healthcare Continues to Deny Agreement to Ensure Safer Patient
Care for a Community Hard
Hit by Delta Variant
To Date, Tenet has invested more than $100 million to prolong the strike
and avoid needed improvements in staffing to ensure safer patient care,
while engaging in a number of illegal labor practices to intimidate and
retaliate against nurses for advocating for safer conditions
With
Marie Marie Ritacco, RN , St. Vincents Hospital, Worcester, MA

On Wednesday, Sept. 8, the St. Vincent nurses strike reached another sad
milestone in their struggle against Dallas-based Tenet Healthcare, which
began a full six months earlier on March 8 in a last-ditch effort by the
nurses to finally convince Tenet Healthcare, one of the most profitable
corporations in America, to finally put their concern for patients ahead
of their ravenous desire for profits.

As the strike, now the longest nurses strike in state history, reaches
its seventh month, it is important for the public to remember how the
nurses arrived at this point.

The fact that we are still outside this hospital, the hospital we love
and have served, some of us for 10, 20 even 40 years is a travesty and
serves as an indictment of Tenet Healthcare and their unyielding desire
for profit and power at the expense of the suffering of our patients and
our community, said Marlena Pellegrino, RN, a longtime nurse at the
hospital and co-chair of the nurses local bargaining unit of the
Massachusetts Nurses Association. Our nurses want nothing more than to
be back at the bedside to provide our patients with the dignity and
expert care they expect and deserve from this, their community hospital.
Unfortunately, Tenet has refused an agreement that would allow that to
happen, choosing instead to spend millions to keep us out, to pursue
illegal practices to punish us for our advocacy " all to avoid
accountability for providing safe patient care.

http://www.radio4all.net/files/knash@igc.org/123-1-Massnursesntl.mp3