[act-ma] 10/30 Rally against the embargo and other things related to Cuba

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Oct 24 14:26:11 PDT 2021

    See below for updates on our local efforts to get a Boston City
    Council Resolution on Cuba, a Cuban poster show in Westboro and a
    video update on the vaccine campaign.

    Boston Rally to End the Blockade (aka Embargo) on Cuba!!

Park Street Station

    SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2021 AT 1 PM – 2 PM

The Boston July 26th-Cuba Solidarity Coalition and the other cosponsors
listed below areinviting you to join us in demanding an end to the
Blockade (aka Embargo) and the array of sanctions on Cuba. We will be
joining the weekly standout against the wars at Park Street Station.

This rally is in solidarity with the growing national Caravan Movement
calling for an End to the Blockade. on the last weekend of the month.
For those not within close distance, local actions on the weekend are
encouraged.

Co-sponsors

Boston Area July 26^th Coalition

Mass. Peace Action (MAPA)

Latin American Solidarity Coalition of Western Massachusetts

Your organization here!

See our Website <https://july26.org/> and Facebook events page
<https://www.facebook.com/events/243643754468996/?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22surface%22%3A%22page%22%7D]%7D>
for updated information.

*A letter about the Resolution to the Boston City Council on the Embargo!*

Friends,

The July 26th Coalition is trying to introduce a resolution to the
Boston City Council to lift the sanctions against Cuba and end the
embargo. So far some 40 cities, towns, school boards, labor
organizations, and other local and state entities across the country
have passed resolutions.  Some have been on ending the Embargo, some
have been on lifting the sanctions that are doing great humanitarian
harm to the Cuban people.  There are a variety of approaches. In
Cambridge, as you likely know, we got 2 resolutions passed in the span
of just a few months in 2020:  One calling for collaboration between the
US and Cuba on controlling Covid 19; the other on ending the US embargo.

The July 26th Coalition has had in mind approaching Ricardo Arroyo to
lead on introducing the resolution.  But that may not be the only way to
go.  I think if there are people in Boston in MAPA who are interested in
helping, then it could be Arroyo's district or any other district.  My
experience is that you don't really know what people will respond to
something like this until you ask them. Our approach nationally is to
call for the following, and we are working on this at many levels.  To
lift the sanctions that do immediate harm to the Cuban people:

the prohibition of remittances to family members; the obstacles to Cuba
being able to purchase the medical equipment and supplies and drugs they
need for not just covid but a wide variety of medical issues; the
obstacle to normal international banking that Cuba experiences by being
on the Terrorist List; the shut down of normal consular services at the
US Embassy in Havana.  These take precedence even, for many of us
working on this issue, over ending the embargo itself.  The latter takes
an act of Congress.  The Administration can lift the above sanctions
with the stroke of a pen.

Please respond to me and to the July 26^th and info at july26.org
<mailto:info at july26.org> which will reach:  Judy Freiwirth, Peter Miller
and Charlie Welch.  T

Thanks.

Best/Saludos, Merri

Merriam Ansara

Easthampton MA  01027

+1 413-459-7023

*An international labor poster exhibit focused on Cuba*
by STEPHEN LEWIS
Westborough Public Library
55 West Main St. Westborough MA

October 4 through October 30, 2021

Open Mon. through Thurs. 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Posters start in the main room of the library, but most of the show is
downstairs.

For library information call 508/366-3050
Library is accessible

This project is supported in part by a grant from the Westborough
Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts
Cultural Council, a state agency, and by Ironworkers Local 7, and
Sheetmetal Workers Local 17

Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1294060191033557?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22create_dialog%22%7D%2C%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22permalink%22%7D%2C%7B%22extra_data%22%3A%22%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22edit_dialog%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D>

  Despite the Odds: Cuba's Vaccines Effective & Set for 93% Rate by Nov 2021

Cuba's Vaccine Revolution: Manolo De Los Santos reports on his recent
visit to Cuba. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO0eahefC_w>