[act-ma] 3/12 The Indian Farmers' Movement: Victory and the Road Ahead (today)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Mar 12 07:30:13 PST 2022

    TheIndianFarmers' Movement: Victory and the Road Ahead

Pratyush Bharati <pratyush_b at yahoo.com> writes

**
*Speaker*: Navkiran Natt

*When*: Saturday, March 12th

*Time*: 12 pm in-person (Lunch from 12 to 1pm). Online event / Live
broadcast starts at 1 pm

*Where*: Democracy Center, 45 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge. (Harvard
Square T Stop), MA

We invite you to a hybrid (in person+zoom) presentation and discussion
led by Navkiran Natt.

The historic farmers' movement in India brought the government to its
knees by forcing it to repeal the three pro-corporate farm laws. More
than five hundred farmers' unions worked together with agricultural
laborers organizations raising the slogan /Kisan Mazdoor Ekta Zindabad/
(Long Live Farmers-Laborers Unity). The women farmers were at the
forefront from the start. They participated in large numbers, standing
shoulder to shoulder with men. The movement has not just raised
questions regarding exploitative corporate agriculture but also raised
questions regarding the caste system, patriarchy, privatization, and
capitalism.

While we celebrate the farmers' victory, numerous challenges lie ahead
for the farmers' movement with one of their key demands like the minimum
support price (MSP) still unmet.

Navkiran Natt will talk about this historic victory and throw light on
the dynamics of the political unity of farmers and workers on the ground
and discuss what lies ahead for this movement.

*Navkiran Natt* is a student-youth activist and film/media researcher
who works between Panjab and Delhi. She is a trained dentist and has a
Master's in Film Studies from Ambedkar University, Delhi. She works on
transnational Panjabi migration and its reflections in Panjabi popular
culture and media. She did a podcast series on the Green Revolution's
health implications in Panjab with the Goethe Institut, New Delhi.
Currently, she is the co-editor of Trolley Times, a newsletter for
India's historic farmers' movement.

*/We request that you join us in person only if you are fully vaccinated
(including a booster shot). We will be asking everyone indoors to wear a
mask covering their mouth and nose. /*

Please register here for in-person attendance
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDhtNyUv86qEI8YyEzToTKMngPI9MsBDMaGnz-1IeKhrsWYA/viewform
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/CMxF4nARlf6wAFa1PSfv0g3wdtg9fsYZUCQweLSiUUxlzMVI81DNLdtbxgLvQPXjrePO-nylO2fskQtRE1t5tGowFh-Wj3xCDPTGTFqNH0BT5SuCotSbZ8apZfZdMwqksKVnsidbmipub_wE6ByMDsvvpNWhgjz6hwp5U8zTSQq_pInuce382dHUfehYX9T0uSfvT_9J_g7n3FbiysdDxhqJyxUGC7x_hQBoThyHPMgkPj1birSC-x35IhpRXvpFgsbkh5OOLWGliGHVImfaoASpJDzEhIlVs-_seWdkzImdbJIGzxcxUqSb1uPhAazw2fMBjhafLaZ_SSE4dd9wrTkjPuP7T8hJLClakkfrF8qlBGnRtX5cTHNWKUMwYkB8Amo_iHPxaRUGV6rfvja3aHHJwUQDLcXgmLWJorHHgtTF4xkn3jyUrHVflLA58cIpUHNrfPXyiMT1xfbxc1CULA/3k6/9UwDfXlpRpmMk_zeHr4AzQ/h0/QBod8LqKt5sV30Pk5J1u7TlZn9ELGdAB-wvO8Rp0xZ8>

You can also join via zoom by registering on this link-

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUlcOmvqDoiGtZ18q6ngmQKgusd4tG0SGqj
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/mRNLFKyANPYkYXuUTzk_Sy9FyWzo9kqacbVzd5vG5d2sXsw8BwyDpfxXdrER67jWMqLib6bvszLNjy_uDR0Hwk2bH3KawT45q5pP0fEMK3FfVnzQrFS9P4eoGfpZS1gZKMgZ4-FRJk1rjKUXiJMiFKM7kBI4Wv49QS-D5HcUjy2KTfwBwNhzMr2CsJtFg7oAo_WCEV00GbTavkg05cnPKWtY1eA1QlWuL0yrpRJIhVzihhl693dHxCa6lzgLKBNtlW6nTVmvB5vXYrTr8sK_h_3VLqH3b8_7ryzh-oONNvUj2LXb8fstw2CzGDja13UFrusRtat_nGmys6_aOP3NtodnBO-DNvmgmAdSzlb4BA15Io4KB1-m40HYtA7qKRZ6B3vEKmArlEBgQtEB_Qn4qCPsFKTgNhBnP_AxVy_npkTg3NsHv20zEFuO0dR7vmTi/3k6/9UwDfXlpRpmMk_zeHr4AzQ/h1/r8I8dB-6IXufvE2mB1cZVDcs8zkYk96oqx-TtFUla_A>

Democracy Center Accessibility-
https://www.democracycenter.org/accessibility
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDOHnnT_adX3lXZk_DqAaxkOZhAGXDtUp0FzO898JeV29cRKAlFM1UxEat02nDW0QkTQTLNbY4V0mGZ3O0LyEjHSyNMCgwIdPAVtuUlOvPfIMquRkl4ulG65RqKV7RLy8e6vDJDDT9cC3oNf8Xkc1Oy47YtxiYocSWEoJfFcVNy0zN_bvTe1ANW85vPV8qPM9Q6vg1o_A_fZG8JhxuYNG3B-o76TWdQlt7nhggjW3RgYFt6BfV2ObjmRraGdbtfBDtkoGgpEcrvapb_H_Gcai_MW54DlZv8BFJCP8vJn7apxqmJQ1U_reI3qouiys5ODjvJdNBOSXA_FNQBZUpt63vgF5nnmcj4TBf9bb3NEVwRS2QkNxNQI7WvJ0rhV1Oa6IkA/3k6/9UwDfXlpRpmMk_zeHr4AzQ/h2/JRXUyRbDM7I_CsjutDLu9ZYxEq161rB9BLmmkAM2z_4>