[act-ma] 6/9 Poets of Flowersong: Matt Sedillo, Briana Muñoz, David Romero, and Iris De Anda (Thursday)

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Tue Jun 7 12:18:32 PDT 2022

Poet Matt Sedillo is back; this time with his comrades at Flowersong!

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/encuentro5/ukraine-solidarity-without-militarism-4939695?e=e1473895e7>
Poets of Flowersong: Matt Sedillo, Briana Muñoz, David Romero, and Iris De
Anda Thursday, June 9, 2022, 7:00 p.m. (Eastern) Click here to join the
event on Zoom (free)
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=e1ca64ce65&e=e1473895e7>;
Facebook Live
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=cc04500461&e=e1473895e7>
[[scroll down for a description of the program]]
Post    You know it seems like just yesterday
Municipalities raised cities
Built nuclear families
Associations of sturdy pockets
                                 A two-car garage, chicken in every pot
                  A military expansion
                                                  A man on the moon and a
finger on the button
          Tomorrow doesn’t show up all at once
                          But when it does
Liquidate the pension
Automate the factory
Auction off the options
Don’t worry bout me
            I worry free
Free-lance contingency
Smiling at your service to gig economy
                   Side hustle, millennial, post industrial standard
Hire me as an adjunct
Fire me as contingent
Into a city I cannot afford to live in
Tell me my credit score
Better yet, tell me yours
Promise me the world, then show me the door
                                                              I was not
                                                                    Born
                                                                    Angry
I was abandoned
I am your velveteen rabbit
The drying paint of Saturn eating his children
Neoliberalism feasting on the marrow
Of the past and the present, the jobs of tomorrow, gone today
Born sometime after the foreclosure
         Tell me another for the fire
                                                                  Tell me
the one
                                                        Where I killed the
economy

Join us on Shelter & Solidarity, Thursday, for dramatic readings and deep
reflections on poetry and its relationship to political struggles, social
and individual alike.  We'll be joined by returning S&S guest Matt Sedillo,
as well as Flowersong Press poet-collaborators: Briana Muñoz, David Romero,
and Iris De Anda.  Tune in to hear poems from their latest publications,
and stay for a discussion of how these authors think about the nexus of
poetry and politics today!

Matt Sedillo writes from the vantage point of a second generation Chicano
born in an era of diminishing opportunities and a crumbling economy. His
writing - a fearless, challenging and at times even confrontational blend
of humor, history and political theory - is a reflection of those
realities. He has appeared on CSPAN and has been featured in the Los
Angeles Times, among other publications, and has spoken at Casa de las
Americas in Havana, Cuba, at numerous conferences and forums, and at over a
hundred universities and colleges. He is the author of the Flowersong press
books *Mowing Leaves of Grass* (2019), and *City on the Second Floor*
(2021) both of which have been taught in college classrooms across the
country.

Briana Muñoz is a writer from Southern California. Raised in San Diego, she
spent a lot of her time at her mother’s Mexican folklore dance classes and
at ranches where her father trained horses into sunset. She is the author
of *Loose Lips*, a poetry collection published by Prickly Pear Publishing
(2019) and of *Everything is Returned to the Soil *published by FlowerSong
Press (2021). Her work has been published in the Bravura Literary Journal,
the Dryland Literary Journal, the Oakland Arts Review, in Boundless: The
Anthology of the Rio Grande Valley International Poetry Festival, and the
forthcoming anthology, Reimagine America, among others. She is an
Indigenous Mexica danzante. She is also the co-creator of Hairy Leg
Lingerie, a creative collective birthed to highlight local talent from the
non-binary, femme, and trans communities.

Iris De Anda a Guanaca Tapatia poet, speaker & musician who has been
featured with KPFK & KPFA Pacifica Radio, organized with Academy of
American Poets, performed at Los Angeles Latino Book Festival, Feria del
Libro Tijuana, Casa de las Americas in Havana, Cuba and is named one of
Today's Revolutionary Women of Color. Author of Codeswitch: Fires from Mi
Corazon & Roots of Redemption: You have No Right to Remain Silent. Find her
at www.lawriterunderground.com

David A. Romero is a Mexican-American spoken word artist from Diamond Bar,
CA. Romero is the author of My Name Is Romero (FlowerSong Press 2020), and
founding member of Ozomatli, Ulises Bella. Romero has appeared at over
seventy-five colleges and universities in thirty-three different states in
the USA. Romero's work has been published in literary magazines in the
United States, England, and Canada, including: North American Review, The
Temz Review, Literary Cultures, Black Bear Review, Pine Hills Review, and
Angels Flight • literary west. Romero's poetry deals with family, identity,
social justice issues, and Latinx culture.
upcoming
*Student Debt Abolition Now!*: Astra Taylor, Jason Wozniak & Jeffrey
Williams, June 25, 2022

Visit our Facebook event page for details
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=81385c5087&e=e1473895e7>.

<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=d657b64a22&e=e1473895e7>
State, Capitalism, Gender Relations, Revolution, & Political Organization
*May 21, 2022*
John Bellamy Foster & Marcello Musto on Ecology and Communism

*May 7, 2022*

   - Part One: John Bellamy Foster on Ecology
   <https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=3d4db1ea82&e=e1473895e7>
   - Part Two: Marcello Musto on Communism
   <https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=ddb37d681f&e=e1473895e7>
   - Part Three: Discussion
   <https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=516208dfcd&e=e1473895e7>

more recent events from S&S

*The Fictions That May Save Us*, Vandana Singh in Conversation with Mark
Soderstrom, April 23, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=1db6a6a7af&e=e1473895e7>

Wende Marshall & Matt Meyer on *Insurrectionary Uprisings*, April 9, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=cf807fe77c&e=e1473895e7>

*Chile, Social Movements & the Future of the Left*, March 26, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=6fd501f6c9&e=e1473895e7>

*Beyond Putin, Beyond NATO: Grasping the War in Ukraine*, March 20, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=6dc2cc0b32&e=e1473895e7>

*Reflections on International Women's Day*, March 12, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=f9360c22d7&e=e1473895e7>

Joe Berry & Helena Worthen on *Strategy for the Contingent Faculty Movement*,
February 22, 2022

Watch here
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=7a5287a66b&e=e1473895e7>