[act-ma] 2/12 Sanctuary at Community Church of Boston: 1982-1984

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Feb 11 18:19:59 PST 2023

Dean Stevens writes

CCB Logo Modernsm.jpg

Dear Friends,

We invite you this Sunday, to take a walk down radical memory lane, as
we celebrate Community Church’s pioneering role in the Sanctuary
Movement of the early ‘80s. Central America was exploding with US
sponsored war and genocide. Refugees began to pour into the US, fleeing
death and destruction wrought by US’ wars.

CCB took the lead in offering sanctuary to “Manuel”, a physician and
activist, fearing for his life at home in Guatemala. Manuel lived here
for 2 years, inspiring us with his artwork, his poetry and his speaking
acumen, which led us to take him to engagements all over New England,
inspiring other churches to do what we were doing.

Prof. Rady Roldán, from BU’s School of Theology, has pored through our
archives to uncover the story of “Manuel” (true name Diego Mendoza
Lacán, recently passed on), and his 2 year stay at Community Church of
Boston. He will tell us that story, and some who remember Manuel very
well, will add their voices to that story.

We will also celebrate the music of Carolyn McDade, who was at that time
chair of our Sanctuary Committee, and was already a prolific songwriter
and feminist leader and inspirer. We will sing her songs, and hope she
might join us from Southeastern MA, as we sing her praises and thank her
for her music.

Join us!       Sunday Feb. 12 at 11 AM
Dean Stevens

*Click on the Zoom icon below to join CCB programs:*
zoom-logo-transparent-6-1.png
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89552575898?pwd=K1ZRMkRNejlpRnZZakFRWnE0aUh3Zz09#success
Meeting ID: 895 5257 5898
Password: 246499

To access by One Tap Mobile phone:
+13126266799,,89552575898# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,89552575898# US (New York)

Dial by your location:
         +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
         +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
         +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)