[act-ma] 3/25 Anti-Military Recruitment Panel this Saturday

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Thu Mar 23 20:32:12 PDT 2023

*TL;DR: **Necessary Dissent(previously United Against War and
Militarism) is **hosting Recruiting Counter-Recruiters: a panel
discussion on Zoom (https://bit.ly/3Fr26n8) on Saturday, March 25th at
2pm, to discuss:*

  * *The US elite's push for war with the other so-called ‘great powers’*
  * *How that impacts US military recruitment tactics*
  * *Ideas for counter-recruitment organizing in high-schools *

*Featuring:*

  * *Sam Fogelberg: *Sam is a**Boston-area student and activist
    organizing against the Military Industrial Complex both on and off
    campus*.*
  * *Jeffery Parente: *Jeff grew up in Pennsylvania and attended PSU
    where he got a BA in History. He is a former Marine and Iraq war
    veteran who has since become an anti-war activist and has been a
    member of Veterans for Peace since 2016.
  * *Alonso Espinosa: *Alonso**is an activist living in Boston who
    started off fighting the corporate elite and their war machine when
    he co-founded MIT Students Against War while in school to protest
    Kissinger and Schwarzman. Since then he has continued organizing
    throughout the Boston area.

*Please reach out to necessary_dissent at riseup.net if you have any
further questions*

Friends,
As we all know, there is a great need in the United States for a strong
movement opposing the US government and corporate elite’s increasingly
unhinged maneuvers to maintain world dominance. As the government
continues to escalate tensions with Russia and China, bringing us to the
brink of a third World War and nuclear war, the people in the US suffer
from inflation, increased censorship, and outright neglect in wake of
disasters (like the recent train derailment in East Palestine). Many
people from very different backgrounds are slowly but surely waking up
to this insanity and to the fact that we can only rely on ourselves, the
people, to fix this mess, not the politicians of whichever corporate
party.In Necessary Dissent, we are hoping to bring such people together
in common struggle against the ruling elite’s maneuvers, while leaving
room for us to discuss and debate the many different perspectives on
what a better system ultimately looks like.
As one initial step, *we will be hosting a panel discussion on Zoom
(https://bit.ly/3Fr26n8) on Saturday, March 25th at 2pm.*The panel will
discuss current trends in US military recruitment in working class
neighborhoods and high-schools and some ideas for counter-recruitment,
placing this in the context of the US ruling class’ push for war with
the other so-called ‘great powers’. In particular, we want to discuss
how we can use anti-recruitment organizing as a way to reach larger
masses of regular people who do not already see themselves as anti-war
activists, bringing them into struggle against something immediately
tangible (their kids or students being aggressively pursued by
recruiters, forced into JROTC, etc.) while showing them the need to
oppose the larger anti-people system driving us towards wars to begin
with. We are hoping this can be one of many ways to unite people from
all sections of society and build up a movement that shows the elites
who run the country that the people will not stand idly by while our
futures are gambled and our youth are made into their cannon-fodder.
We hope to see you all soon,
Necessary Dissent