[act-ma] Accidental discovery while walking through Harvard Yard----"Sentences - Prison Writings Through the Ages"

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon Jul 3 15:19:13 PDT 2023

Susan M. writes

For a brief escape from the horrors of U.S. imperialism; war-mongering; funding of apartheid; endless cheer-leading for Neo-Nazis in Ukraine; yesterday's SCOTUS decisions (gutting 'affirmative action' and upholding massive student loan debt) this morning I visited Harvard's Fogg Art Museum (American Watercolors 1880 - 1990).

Walking back through Harvard Yard I spied a banner for the Houghton Library's current exhibit: " Sentences-Prison Writings Through the Ages ". What a profound surprise. I spent 2 hours viewing the letters and books of Folks Behind the Wall. Something to treasure-- Malcolm X' March 1950 letter from MCI-Norfolk. There's Oscar Wilde, Angela Davis, George Jackson, Wole Soyinka, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Rosa Luxemburg & more. The exhibit is not comprehensive - the curator Peter Accardo acknowledges as such - but he's done a terrific job, IMHO. Free. Open M-F 10am to 5pm [check for holiday closures] 2 60 - minute tours are happening in July. Monday 7/10 12:30 and Monday 7/17 5:30. General library tours every Friday @ 2pm. I WOULD LOVE TO GO BACK WITH A GROUP OF COMRADES. More soon! [ https://library.harvard.edu/exhibits/sentences?fbclid=IwAR2VfLehns7KhbmldNbyumFdY8m9zSTuPwJuk-mkjr4kVnsASz-_w4lyf08 | https://library.harvard.edu/exhibits/sentences ]

Susan M.