[Act-ma_discuss] Guantanamo 20th anniversary Tuesday

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Sun Jan 9 08:34:33 PST 2022

From: Susan McLucas [mailto:susanbmcl at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2022 10:07 AM

Dear friends of Assange,

I think you are probably also friends of the prisoners at Guantanamo.

Tuesday is the 20th anniversary of the opening of the detention center at Guantanamo, in Cuba!

I would like to stand out on Tuesday, Jan 11, at Park St Station at 1pm.  I have plenty of signs and jumpsuits.  Please join me, if you can and want to.  I will do a press release.  Sometimes anniversaries get press out.  It will be very cold (around 10 degrees) so dress accordingly.  We will stay for an hour or so.  Come prepared to speak if you like.  We will put our action on social media after the fact, to amplify our reach.  You don't have to but, if you know you'll come, I'd love to know.

I think it's also important to write letters to the editor.  Letter at globe.com <mailto:Letter at globe.com>  is the address for writing the Boston Globe.  Let's send them lots of letters and hope they print one or two.  Also consider writing local papers (though not weekly ones, at this late date).  They print letters more willingly.

There are 39 men at Guantanamo, including 13 who have already been cleared for release, some of them for many years!  Biden has only released one, though he ran on a promise to close Guantanamo.

Please write to President Biden.  The really easy way is at whitehouse.gov/contact <http://whitehouse.gov/contact> .  It probably has more impact to write a letter to The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave,NW, Washington,  DC, 20500.

Those of you who use Twitter, please light it up with our message on Tuesday.  Christopher Spicer, who has joined us at some of our protests and who works with Witness Against Torture, forwarded this call for Twitter posts on Tuesday.  (I've left all the groups that have forwarded it in my message to you, in case it's useful to know and also in case you might want to get involved with them.  I'm attaching their call for tweets, which can also serve as inspiration for letters to the editor and the president.

A good source of info on Guantanamo, and a good group to support, is CloseGuantanamo.org.

Thanks for caring about Guantanamo.  I hope to see some of you Tuesday.

Susan McLucas, 617-501-9125

Dr. Maha Hilal

Justice for Muslims Collective

innocentuntilprovenmuslim at gmail.com <mailto:innocentuntilprovenmuslim at gmail.com>

  <https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/jpukK-5i-a977827uPVBYhr8HHdqh4Ar-8rPK-hjtJtbuWFCIPDOg_j_UQXB5irBAnj1hjl1ZDk6xnXnpY0ACXfUzCIZp5rbq9Pb9ivlPZ_EGqRrbwZY9uoaMb0meEK-w8eJmHmh> 1325 G Street, NW Suite 557, Washington, D.C. 20005

www.justiceformuslims.org <http://www.justiceformuslims.org/>