[act-ma] Thursday 2/20, double header: "Healthcare Movie" and "Park Avenue" - Free UPandOUT film screenings

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Tue Feb 4 19:17:17 PST 2014

<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-140220-Healthcare%20Movie-Park%20Avenue.pdf>

*Double header
*

Showing Thursday, February 20, in Cambridge
[please download & distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-140220-Healthcare%20Movie-Park%20Avenue.pdf>]

  __Healthcare Movie

The real story of how the health care systems in Canada and the US
evolved to be so completely different, when at one point they were
essentially the same. Most people under the age of 50, in both
countries, are not aware of the intensity of the political struggle that
led to the universal medical care system in Canada. Nor are they aware
of the public relations campaigns, still active today, that have been
prevalent in the United States since the early 1900’s to dissuade the
public from supporting national health care.

"/In my crusade to educate our local public about the health care
situation, I haven’t found a better vehicle than this movie./"  ~Dwight
Michael, M.D.

"/The lack of a national health care system is one of the greatest//
//financial burdens America faces/." ~Kiefer Sutherland, Healthcare
Movie narrator
/
//"Why can't the world be like a summer day, when I thought that health
care would be an ethical decision and wars existed only to be stopped?/"
~Madeleine M. Kunin
/
//"Competition makes things come out right. Well, what does that mean in
health care? More hospitals so they compete with each other. More
doctors compete with each other. More pharmaceutical companies. We set
up war. Wait a minute, let's talk about the patient. The patient doesn't
need a war./" ~Donald Berwick

"/America's health care system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system./"
~Walter Cronkite

  Park Avenue

740 Park Avenue, Manhattan, is one of the most exclusive addresses in
the world, home to some of the richest Americans, the 1% of the 1%. The
super-rich haven't just bought the exclusive addresses – they've bought
our whole system - and are running it for themselves.

“/What’s hard to understand about this relentless push to cut taxes for
the rich is that they already have so much more than the rest of us,/”
film narrator

A former doorman at 740 park avenue reveals:
"/The building is only 31 units, so it's not a lot of residents. But
they are high tempered and you need a thick skin to work there. Some are
detestable people and they are billionaires./"

Also revealed:
David Koch was the worst tipper. The doorman would load his 2 vans every
weekend, when Koch was heading to the Hamptons, and he never tipped him.
Steve Schwarzman, CEO of the Blackstone Corporation, has 25 Christmas
trees delivered to his apartment for his annual Christmas party — one
for every room of his home. The children are friendly and have special
high-fives with the doormen. When they reach about 12 years old, they
start ignoring the building's help and start "walking like their
fathers." /"It's like their parents sat them down and said 'Look this is
your life, you are a billionaire. They are not your friends./"

*When/where*
doors open 6:40; film starts promptly 7pm
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
*free film & free door prizes
****[donations are encouraged]
*feel free to bring your own snacks and soft drinks - no alcohol allowed

"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education/." ~
Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights...