[act-ma] 3/3 SoJust ProfDev: Fundraising - Getting Past the Fear of Asking, $10 advance/$20 door

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:39:09 PST 2014

Do you want (or need) to raise money to support the causes and
organizations you care about? Join Socializing for Justice for a ProfDev
(professional development) training Fundraising: Getting Past the Fear of
Asking on Monday, March 3, 6:00 - 8:30 PM at The NonProfit Center in
downtown Boston.

Fee: $10 advance/$20 door - split with trainer
Limited space - register ahead of time: www.sojust.org
Credit cards accepted online. Cash only at the door (if space available).
Newcomers always welcomed!

Fundraising: Getting Past the Fear of Asking
This engaging coaching session focuses on getting past the fear of asking
and how to avoid some common mistakes. Learn an easy way to sort through
contact lists and build a strong prospect list based on the 3 Cs of
fundraising: capacity, connection and commitment. Learn specific language
for how to make a strong ask, based on the relationship-building tips
shared in Art of the Schmooze, and ten tips that will make your next
fundraising plan a success. "If you are afraid to ask for money, kick
yourself out of the way and let the cause talk."

About Our Presenter
Robbie Samuels has extensive community organizing, events logistics and
fundraising experience. In 2006 he co-founded Socializing for Justice to
build a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive community, network and
movement in Boston based on the philosophy of abundance. He is the Senior
Manager of Events and Donor Engagement at Gay & Lesbian Advocates &
Defenders (GLAD). On the side he offers trainings and consultation to
non-profit boards, venture capitalists and grassroots organizers. In 2011,
Boston City Council named his birthday, September 16, "Robbie Samuels Day".
Learn more about his trainings, including: Art of the Schmooze,
Fundraising: Getting Past the Fear of Asking, Suicide Prevention Training
for Community Leaders, at www.robbiesamuels.com.

Check out his testimonials - including this one: "Robbie leads a great
workshop full of practical suggestions that you can start using right away.
Robbie is approachable and a dynamic speaker that development professionals
can learn from. Whether you have been in the business for 1 year or 15,
Robbie offers advice on partnerships, networking, fundraising, and being
passionate about your cause." ~Rose Fisher, North Shore Medical Center

Schedule
6:00-6:30 Socializing - bring your own dinner
6:30-8:30 Training and Q&A

* Directions - The NonProfit Center is located one block from South Station
at 89 South Street. The Center is physically accessible through the main
lobby. www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/directions

Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org

Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this
"Movement Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and
build new visions for our movement(s).

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We host monthly socials that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a monthly ProfDev
Series, hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which provides access to
affordable professional development to increase our individual capacity for
movement building.

With over 2400 members and 7+ years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston (175+ events!), Socializing for Justice is the best
place to find the great people, organizations and community you're looking
for while putting the SOCIAL back in social justice.

Yes, we mean you. We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.