[act-ma] 3/1-3/2: Countersurveillance DiscoTech/Hackathon at MIT Media Lab

Saul Tannenbaum saul at tannenbaum.org
Tue Feb 25 08:32:42 PST 2014

MIT's Center for Civic Media Codesign Studio team (codesign.mit.edu) is
organizing and hosting a countersurveillance DiscoTech (short for
“Discovering Technology”) on March 1st and 2nd, 2014, at the MIT Media
Lab. A DiscoTech is a workshop for people of all skill levels to learn
about a set of technologies.

At the countersurveillance DiscoTech, we’ll focus on creating a
welcoming space where a wide range of people (not just techies and
activists!) will feel welcome exploring, learning about, and sharing
each others’ experiences with surveillance. At the same time, we’re
inviting community organizations, technologists, developers, and
designers to come to the DiscoTech to sprint/hack on projects together.
There will be speakers and workshops. We’ll dive in deep to understand
surveillance tools, systems, and histories. We’ll also get hands-on with
tools and approaches that can strengthen our communities’ privacy,
safety, and security. We’ll break down structural inequality in
surveillance regimes that disproportionately target people of color,
working people, immigrants, and activists. Our goals will be to
understand surveillance in everyday life, and to work hands-on with
community-based organizations to strengthen countersurveillance
strategies and tools.

Venue: MIT Media Lab, 75 Amherst St
Date & Hours: March 1+2, 2014, 10am-6pm
Details can be found here:
https://surveillance.hackpad.com/BostonCambridge-Countersurveillance-DiscoTech-lpF9SgcyhR2
Registration Link:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/countersurveillance-discotech-hackathon-cambridge-tickets-10302010591
Contact: Sasha Costanza-Chock, schock AT mit.edu

This is a worldwide event, with other DiscoTechs happening in New York,
San Francisco, Ramallah Palestine, and elsewhere. Links to those events
can be found here: http://codesign.mit.edu/discotechs/

--
Saul Tannenbaum    saul at tannenbaum.org   blog:saultannenbaum.org
Read CambridgeHappenings.org, a daily Cambridge news summary,