[act-ma] [UJP Activist] Jobs Not Jails Rally on Boston Common!

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Wed Apr 23 21:30:04 PDT 2014

UJP Activist: Jobs Not Jails Rally on Boston Common! P,LI, BODY,
DIV.event-when,DIV.event-where {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica;
font-size: 14px;} H1, H2, H3, H4 {text-align: center;} H3 {font-size: 15px;}
H2 {font-size: 16px;} H1 {font-size: 17px;} IMG.bord {border: 2px solid
black;} IMG.nb {border-width: 0;} LI {font-size: 13px;} .rtecenter
{text-align: center;} .rteindent1 {margin-left: 10pt; }
======== JOBS NOT JAILS RALLY ON BOSTON COMMON! ==============================

*When:* Saturday, April 26, 2014, 12:00 pm *Where: *Boston Common •
Boston

Let us ALL bring together 10,000 people from across Massachusetts to say NO
to incarcerating our family, friends, neighbors, and loved ones. Let us say
YES to good jobs that are meaningful and pay living wages.
We will listen to speakers. We will chant with one another. We will be
motivated to act with loud voices.
This event is being organized by a statewide coalition. JOIN US!
  www.jobsnotjails.org [1]

Massachusetts taxpayers are expected to build *10,000 new prison units*by
2023, costing *$2 billion*, unless dramatic reforms are made;

Reforms in other states have led to *greater public safety* while
actually*closing prisons* (e.g. New York, Texas);

Reducing long-term unemployment also improves public safety state-wide;

We call upon our legislators and Governor to:

 1) *Enact criminal justice reforms* that have been proven to work in other
    states, including: reducing barriers to employment; diversion to
    treatment; ending mandatory minimum drug sentences; and improving access
    to education.

 1) *Halt the construction* of new prison units until these reforms can take
    effect.

 1) *Re-direct the $2 billion* savings into a jobs program targeting
    communities with high rates of poverty and crime, further improving
    public safety for everyone.

See/download the flyer
at http://justicewithpeace.org/files/Jobs%20Not%20Jails%20Rally-2014.pdf [2]

Participating Organizations:
10-Point Coalition
Action fo Regional Equity
AIDS Project Worcester
American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts
American Friends Service Committee
Arise for Social Justice, Springfield
Arlington Street Church
Black and Pink
Blackstonian.com
Boston Feminist Liberation
Boston Living Center
Boston Workers’ Alliance
Children’s League of Massachusetts
Cleghorn Neighborhood Center, Fitchburg
Coalition for Effective Public Safety
Coalition for Social Justice, Fall River and New Bedford
Coalition to Fund our Communities
Committee for Public Counsel Services
Committee of Friends and Relatives of Prisoners
Community Labor United
Criminal Justice Policy Coalition
Dismas House
Dorchester People for Peace
EPOCA (Ex-prisoners and Prisoners Organizing for Community Advancment)
Families Against Mandatory Minimums
Families for Justice as Healing
First Parish Church of Arlington
First Parish Church of Northborough
Fitchburg Minority Coalition
Harvard Law Students PLAP
Lesley College – PAWS
Lynn Youth Street Outreach Advocacy (LYSOA)
Massachusetts CURE
Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery
Massachusetts Women’s Justice Network
Mothers for Justice and Equality
Multicultural Wellness Center
NAACP Youth Council, Boston Chapter
National Association of Social Workers, SIG
National Lawyers’ Guild
Old Cambridge Baptist Church
Prison Policy Initiative
Prisoners’ Legal Services
Progressive Massachusetts
Real Cost of Prisons Project
Roxbury Youth Works
SPAN, Inc.
Spontaneous Celebrations – Beantown Society
St. John Missionary Baptist Church
Straight Ahead Ministries
Teen Empowerment
Teens Leading the Way
Timothy Baptist Church
Toastmasters Prison Volunteers
United Church of Christ, Innocence Commission Task Force
Worcester Branch, NAACP
Worcester Homeless Action Committee
Worcester Youth Center
Youth Against Mass Incarceration

United for Justice with Peace [3] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The
UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social
and economic justice.

/Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP today.
[4]/

info at justicewithpeace.org [5]

617-383-4857 www.justicewithpeace.org [6] Upcoming Events:  Jobs Not Jails
Rally on Boston Common! [7] Sat Apr 26 12:00pm Boston Common Boston No Killer
Drones! No Spy Drones! National Days of Action [8] Tue May 6 12:00pm MIT Main
Entrance Cambridge Stephen Walt: Taking On the Israel Lobby: Opportunities
and Obstacles [9] Wed May 7 7:00pm Cambridge Friends Meeting Cambridge Music
for Peace: Johannes Brahms Birthday Concert [10] Sat May 10 7:30pm
Harvard-Epworth Methodist Church Cambridge Sing-Along to Pete Seeger Songs
[11] Sat May 24 7:00pm Calvary United Methodist Church Arlington
/More Peace and Justice Events [12].    How to Submit Events [13]/

[1] http://www.jobsnotjails.org/
[2] http://justicewithpeace.org/files/Jobs%20Not%20Jails%20Rally-2014.pdf
[3] http://justicewithpeace.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org/donate