[act-ma] Free the Cuban Five

Boston Militant Labor Forum bostonmlf at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 19:34:50 PDT 2014

The Militant Labor Forum Presents:
Free The Cuban Five!
Friday, September 12, 7:30 pm
   September 12 is the sixteenth anniversary of the arrest of the Cuban Five — Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, René González, Antonio Guerrero, and Fernando González. They were arrested in Miami in 1998 and framed-up on charges ranging from “conspiracy to commit espionage” and acting as an unregistered foreign agent to “conspiracy to commit murder” in the case of Hernández.
   The five are Cuban revolutionaries who accepted assignments from the Cuban government to gather information on the operations and plans of Cuban-American paramilitary groups based in southern Florida. These rightist outfits have a long record of carrying out bombings, assassinations and other deadly attacks, both against targets in Cuba and supporters of the Cuban Revolution in the United States, Puerto Rico and elsewhere.
   Despite being falsely charged, convicted and given draconian sentences the Cuban Five have maintained their dignity and humanity while in prison. This is captured by Antonio Guerrero when he wrote in an introduction to his water paintings depicting life in solitary confinement, “I will die the way I have lived.”
    “Why do we fight for the Five?” asked Puerto Rican revolutionary Rafael Cancel Miranda, two years ago at a meeting marking their fourteenth year behind bars. “Because we are fighting for ourselves, for our own freedom.”
 Come to a presentation and discussion on the fight to free the Cuban Five.
13 Bennington St., 2nd Floor, East Boston
617-569-9169  bostonmlf at yahoo.com
Suggested donation $5  Traducción al español
Come early and browse in the book center.
Visit  themilitant.com  and  pathfinderpress.com  for news, analysis, and books
Directions: T Blue Line to Maverick Station, bus or walk five blocks down Meridian to Bennington at Liberty Plaza traffic circle.