[act-ma] Why Ferguson Matters to Public Health

Paul Malachi paul.malachi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 09:25:26 PDT 2014

*Why Ferguson Matters to Public Health*
Thursday, September 25th, 12:30-1:30 in Kresge 204

In light of the recent police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, we are
hosting a discussion about how structural determinants rooted in racism
relate to public health. Please join us in this student-led forum to learn
about what has happened in Ferguson as a case study; reflect on concerns
surrounding over-policing, police violence, state violence, and police
militarization more broadly; and consider the ways in which we as HSPH
students can mount a response. Lunch will be provided.

This event is the first meeting of the new student group, the HSPH Student
Response Action Committee for Equity (RACE). RACE is committed to confront
issues of health inequities particularly as they relate to race and racism
at the individual, societal, and institutional level.

Sponsored by:
The Black Student Health Organization
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion
HealthRoots
Women of Color Collective of Students and Scholars
Students in Latino Public
Health, Student Harm Reduction Promotion Society
The Student Community Action Partnership,
The Adolescent Health Forum
The South Asian Student Organization
The Nigerian Student Association