[act-ma] Can New England Feed Itself?: A Radical Vision, Oct 8, 7pm, in JP

Tracy Bindel info at jamaicaplainforum.org
Mon Sep 29 13:42:59 PDT 2014

CAN NEW ENGLAND FEED ITSELF?: A “NEW ENGLAND FOOD VISION” WITH PROF. BRIAN
DONAHUE AND FRIENDS
October 8 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
First Church JP, 6 Eliot St
RSVP and Invite your friends on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/events/567264156710764/>
What does it mean to “buy local”? What’s our vision for supporting local
farmers and fishers, engaging in sustainable agriculture and fisheries, and
changing our broken food system?
Come join us as Professor Brian Donahue of Brandeis University presents *A
New England Food Vision
<http://foodsolutionsne.org/new-england-food-vision>, a *collaborative
report that considers the future of our region. The* Vision *calls for New
England to reach a bold goal of producing at least 50% of our food by 2060
– food that will be clean, fair, just and accessible for all.[image: Feed
New England cover]
<http://jamaicaplainforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Feed-New-England-cover.jpg>
Incorporating more than three years of collaborative research and input
from hundreds of voices throughout New England, *A New England Food
Vision* imagines
a future in which food nourishes a social, economic, and environmental
landscape that supports a high quality of life for everyone, including
generations to come
A panel of experts will respond with additional reflections about food
justice, challenges for new food producers, and the state of our land and
ocean resources. In addition to Professor Donahue we will hear from:
 Karen Spiller - Network Team member of Food Solutions New England and
former director of Boston Collaborative of Food and Fitness
Eva Agudelo - National Incubator Farm Training Initiative (NIFTI)
Coordinator, New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, food justice and what
is happening with new immigrant farmers
 Brett Tolley - Community Organizer, Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance
is from a four-generation commercial fishing family and working to advance
social, environmental, and economic justice throughout the seafood value
chain.
There will then be plenty of time for Q&A and discussion. Bring your
questions!
Co-sponsored by Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness