[act-ma] [UJP] Workshops Announced, Discussion Paper Posted for Foreign Policy for All Conference Nov. 8

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Fri Oct 24 03:30:04 PDT 2014

UJP: Workshops Announced, Discussion Paper Posted for Foreign Policy for All
Conference Nov. 8 P,LI, BODY, DIV.event-when,DIV.event-where {font-family:
Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px;} H1, H2, H3, H4 {text-align:
center;} H3 {font-size: 15px;} H2 {font-size: 16px;} H1 {font-size: 17px;}
IMG {border: 2px solid black;} LI {font-size: 13px;} .rtecenter {text-align:
center;} .rteindent1 {margin-left: 10pt; }
======== WORKSHOPS ANNOUNCED, DISCUSSION PAPER POSTED FOR FOREIGN POLICY FOR
         ALL CONFERENCE NOV. 8 ===============================================

Dear friends,

*There is just one week left to *
*register for the Nov. 8 Foreign Policy for All conference* [1]* at
early-bird discount rates! *Discounts for early-birds, members of sponsoring
organizations, and for 5 or more people registering as a group, expire Oct.
29, so be sure to register before then at http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/ [2]!

*The *
*Foreign Policy for All working paper* [3]* has been posted for comment.*
Check it out here [4] and post your comments to help us prepare for the
discussion.

The *schedule of the day* [5]* *and the *workshop descriptions*
[6]* *(subject to change) have also been posted.

I look forward to seeing you at the conference!

- Cole Harrison, for the Foreign Policy for All working group

======== A FOREIGN POLICY FOR ALL ============================================

======== /RE-THINKING U.S. FOREIGN POLICY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY/ =============

*Saturday November 8, 2014, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
MIT Room 34-101 • 50 Vassar St • Cambridge • Kendall T*

-------- CONFIRMED SPEAKERS --------------------------------------------------

*Noam Chomsky*, MIT Institute Professor, author, /Profit Over People:
Neoliberalism and Global Order/

*Bill Fletcher*, former president, Trans Africa Forum; author, /They’re
Bankrupting Us! And 20 other Myths about Unions/

*Phyllis Bennis*, director, New Internationalism Project, Institute for
Policy Studies

*Stephen Kinzer*, /Boston Globe/ columnist;  author,/The Brothers: John
Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War/

*Judith Leblanc*, Field Director, Peace Action; former co-chair, UFPJ; member
of the Caddo Tribe of Oklahoma

*It’s time for a change.*

After years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, with their terrible toll of death
and destruction, we are fighting again in the Middle East.  But growing
numbers of Americans are debating the values and goals of U.S. foreign
policy, with its heavy reliance on military intervention.  Why has it been
so unsuccessful? What is the appropriate role for our nation in today’s
world?  How does our investment in a gigantic, costly military establishment
affect our foreign policy decisions?

In this one-day conference, to be held immediately after the midterm
election, we will attempt to outline a more positive vision of U.S. global
engagement, one that addresses the actual security needs of people around the
world and that is consistent with the principles of peace and justice for
all.   We will also explore the actions needed to make the changes we seek,
to shift the discussion.

*Read the working paper!* The discussion will respond to A Foreign Policy
for All [7], a working paper written by a Boston area working group. Read
more about the Foreign Policy for All project [8].

*
Schedule and Workshops:* the
preliminary schedule of the day [9] and the workshop descriptions [10].

*Conference fee:* $25 before Oct. 29 for members of Massachusetts Peace
Action (or other sponsoring organizations), $30 for others, $35 at the door,
$10 for students and low income; free to MIT students. Fee includes morning
coffee and lunch. 15% discount for 5 or more people who register at the same
time. *Register* at
fp4a-conf.bpt.me [11]/ or mail check to Massachusetts Peace Action, 11 Garden
St, Cambridge, MA 02138; write "FP4A" on memo line.
*Info:* info at masspeaceaction.org [12] or 617 354 2169

*Host*: MIT Technology and Culture Forum

*Co-Sponsors:* Massachusetts Peace Action, American Friends Service
Committee, MIT Western Hemisphere Association, United for Justice with Peace,
Women's International League for Peace & Freedom - Boston Branch,
Massachusetts Global Action

*Workshop Topics (more details here [13]):*

 * Inequality, Capitalism and Democracy
 * Media: Manufacturing of Consent
 * Nuclear disarmament
 * Climate, Militarism and Peace
 * United Nations and International Law
 * Nourishing Resistance: Food and Foreign Policy
 * War in the 21st Century: Drones, Space Weapons and Cyber Wars
 * A Foreign Policy for All in Eastern Europe, Ukraine, and Russia
 * A Foreign Policy for All in the Middle East
 * Dangers and Opportunities in the U.S.-China-Japan Triangle
 * Budgets, Values and Militarism
 * Peacebuilding
 * Building the Foreign Policy for All on Campus

United for Justice with Peace [14] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The
UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social
and economic justice.

/Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP today.
[15]/

info at justicewithpeace.org [16]

617-383-4857 www.justicewithpeace.org [17] Upcoming Events:  Organizing
Meeting for a Coalition Against the U.S. War in Iraq & Syria [18] Mon Oct 27
7:00pm encuentro 5 Boston Instilling Hope in Gaza: The Legacy of Dr. Eyad el
Sarraj [19] Tue Oct 28 7:00pm First Parish in Cambridge Cambrige Dr. Mads
Gilbert: Eyewitness in GAZA - What we saw & what you can do [20] Fri Oct 31
3:00pm Harvard School of Public Health Boston I Am [21] Tue Nov 4 7:00pm
SATV-Salem Salem A Foreign Policy for All [22] Sat Nov 8 9:00am MIT Campus -
Room 34-101 Cambridge The Immigration Crisis: Has US Foreign Policy Created
It? What Can We Do About It? [23] Tue Nov 11 7:00pm encuentro 5 Boston
/More Peace and Justice Events [24].    How to Submit Events [25]/

[1] http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/
[2] http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/
[3] http://masspeaceaction.org/5927
[4] http://masspeaceaction.org/fp4a-working-paper