[act-ma] Monday Nov. 17th, 7-9 pm: Making Sausage-Effective Legislative Advocacy

Betsy Boggia boggia at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 05:27:52 PST 2014

What do making laws and making sausage have in common? Both processes are
ugly and messy.  Maybe even a bit disgusting.  Certainly, when it comes to
law-making the process is more than a little frustrating.

There are many examples where the public will favored one outcome and yet
our "representatives" (who should be representing their constituents) in the
sausage vat of the legislature managed not to do the will of the people.

We have invited three panelists to lead us through the question of why our
laws so often fail to reflect the will of the people.

Our Panelists:

Congressman David Linsky, MA State Representative for Natick (and more).
Rep. Linsky will help us understand how the process is supposed to work and
what goes on behind the scenes in the legislative process.

Martin Dagoberto, Campaign Coordinator for Right to Know GMO and Deirdre
Cummings, Legislative Director for MASSPIRG (Bottle Bill) will represent the
perspectives of activist groups who have long struggled to get their laws on
the books.  Their struggle can show in what ways the system is failing We
the People.

We hope, through this panel discussion, to shed some light on how this
happens.  What goes on behind the scenes in our state legislature, and how
can we best use the system we have to get the laws we people want and need.

For more info: www.occupynatick.org

What:  A free evening with expert panelists

When: Monday, November 17th, 2014, 7-9pm

Where: Common Street Church, 13 Common Street, Natick, MA

Who:  Rep. David Linsky, Martin Dagoberto, Deirdre Cummings

Why: Because an informed citizenry is an empowered citizenry

What Else: Light refreshments will be served.  Ample on-street parking
available.  Bring your friends.

Betsy Boggia