[act-ma] Guatemalan Fair Trade Gifts-- Multiple Locations

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Nov 21 22:38:16 PST 2014

To see the original message with pictures and links, Click here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=869018a0-d4a4-48d8-bed5-11a627af2690&c=ee447930-423d-11e3-a2d3-d4ae52733bf0&ch=ef8f6fc0-423d-11e3-a409-d4ae52733bf0

Guatemalan Fair Trade Gifts--
Handmade, Beautiful, and Meaningful!

(see link above for photo)
Maria and Angelina of Asociacion Maya
at a trade show in Panajachel, Guatemala.
(see link above for photo)

Dear Charlie,

I am just back from Guatemala with an ever more amazing selection of new
wonderful handmade crafts!

    * Cool new beaded jewelry designs, and lots of matching colorways,
so you can easily pick out a matching set of necklace, bracelet and
earrings (or choose a complete set from ones we have ready to go!). Gift
boxes made from 100% recycled paper, too!

    * Luscious new colors of lightweight bamboo and bamboo chenille and
rayon chenille scarves. Infinity scarves too! And several new fancy
designs of black and white scarves. So beautiful that the co-op has been
super-busy dyeing, warping, and weaving, with lots of work every day.

    * Beaded jewelry and ornaments made by Perlas del Lago (Pearls of
the Lake), an LGBTQ group in Santiago Atitlan celebrating the diversity
of Mayan culture.

    * Wonderful whimsical tree ornaments, toys, and stocking stuffers
from UPAVIM (United for a Better Life), an 85-woman crafts cooperative
in a very poor neighborhood in Guatemala City. They fund, with their
crafts revenue as well as donations, a medical clinic, lab, pharmacy,
daycare, Montessori preschool, elementary through university education,
after-school program, a bakery, soy plant, internet cafe... yes, truly
mind-bogglingly wonderful!

    * Jaspe backstrap-loom-woven scarves from Maya Traditions, some
naturally dyed using plant dyes.
Expanded dyeing area
New expanded dyeing area at Asociacion Maya.
All thread is hand-dyed in small batches, up to six different colors per
skein.

We will be at the following sales venues!

Eliza will personally be at all venues except those marked *.

Sat. Nov. 22, 11a - 4p
Holiday Craft Fair
Show at the home of Amy Marks
111 Riverview Ave.
Waltham, MA 02453
Other artists include mosaic art, functional ceramics, woodwork, polymer
clay jewelry, fabric bags and felted scarves, and homemade soaps and balms.
For more information, click here.

Sun. Nov. 23, 11a - 3p
Fair Trade Faire
Harvard Unitarian Universalist Church
Fellowship Building
7 Elm St.
Harvard, MA
For more information, click here.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A DIFFERENT WEEKEND THAN THE USUAL SECOND
WEEKEND OF DECEMBER!

Avoid the malls and support indigenous artisans and human rights!

Fri. Nov. Nov. 28, 10a - 6p
Sat. Nov. 29, 10a - 6p
Sun. Nov. 30, 10a - 6p
Cultural Survival Bazaar - A Festival of Native Arts and Culture
Celebrating 32 years!
Harvard University Center for Government and International Studies
1730 Cambridge St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Free admission.
Free parking next to venue at garage at 7 Felton St., Cambridge.
This is a fundraiser for Cultural Survival, an organization working for
indigenous human rights around the world. 20-40% of each sale goes to
support Cultural Survival. For more information, click here.

(December events listed below photo.)

Lightweight bamboo scarves in a variety of new color combinations!
Soft as butter! Suave como mantequilla!
Open-weave lightweight bamboo scarves
Open weave ligthweight bamboo scarves--
even softer!

Sat. Dec. 6, 10a - 4p
44th Annual Holiday Fair*
Waldorf School of Lexington
739 Massachusetts Ave.
Lexington, MA 02420
Admission $3/child. $5/adult, or $15/family
Puppet show, Mummer's play, children's crafts, live chamber music,
lunch, bake sale, crafts, used clothing and toy boutique.
For more information, click here.

Sat. Dec. 6, 11a - 5p
17th Annual JP Crafts Fair
First Church in Jamaica Plain Unitarian Universalist
6 Eliot St., where Centre and South Streets diverge at the monument
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
40 artisans, artists, and crafters. Live music. Lunch and bake sale.
We have an entire room to showcase our beautiful scarves, jewelry, bags,
shirts, and more!

Sun. Dec. 7, 11a - 1p
Hancock Church Holiday Fair with Gifts That Care
Hancock United Church of Christ, Congregational
1912 Massachusetts Ave.
Lexington, MA 02421
For more information, click here.

Andrea with the bead loom she uses to make beaded handbags.
   Sun. Dec. 7, 2p - 4p
   Holiday Arts and Crafts Show
   Laughing Dog Yoga Studio
   159 Linden St,
   Wellesley, MA 02482

   Tues. Dec. 9, 3p - 5p
   Holiday Boutique
   St. Luke's School
   Cafeteria, Main Building, 377 North Wilton Rd.
   New Canaan, CT 06840

   Wed. Dec. 10, 9a - 5p
   8th Annual Fair Trade Holiday Sale at
   Boston College
   Corcoran Commons, second floor, near Lower
   Campus Dining - enter campus at 140
   Commonwealth Ave.
   Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
10-15% of sales go to scholarship funds for children in Nicaragua and El
Salvador.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CULTURAL SURVIVAL CRAFT FAIR AT HARVARD IS NOV.
28-30 THIS YEAR RATHER THAN DEC. 14 AND 15.

Tues. Dec. 16, 9:30a - 1:30p
Philips, Building 4, outside the cafeteria
3000 Minuteman Rd.
Andover, MA 01810

Fri. Dec. 20, 10a - 10p
Sat. Dec. 21, 10a - 10p
Sun. Dec. 22, 11a - 8p
Cultural Survival Bazaar - A Festival of Native Arts and Culture
The Shops at Prudential Center - Belvidere Arcade
800 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02199
Free admission. Near MBTA Green Line E Train - Prudential Center stop
This is a fundraiser for Cultural Survival, an organization working for
indigenous human rights around the world. 20-40% of each sale goes to
support Cultural Survival. For more information, click here.

If you can't make it to one of our sales events, please email
Eliza at athreadofhope.org with your order and shipping address. We will
send you an email request to pay securely using your credit card (Visa,
Mastercard, AmEx, or Discover) via Square.  Or call to place your order.
The number is 617-308-7026 and hours are 7 days a week, 10am - 7pm EST.
Feel free to leave a message if it is after hours or if you get voicemail.
Perlas del Lago
Perlas del Lago

Our products will be featured at the following church sales:

Sun. Dec. 7
Care and Share Fair
Community Unitarian Universalists in
Brighton, Michigan
586-322-3065

Sat. Dec. 13
Sun. Dec. 14
Fair Trade Christmas Shopping
Harbor Christian Church
2401 Irvine Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Contact us if your church would like to do a consignment sale of our
products.

A selection of our products are now available at:

American Textile History Museum, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution
491 Dutton St.
Lowell, MA 01854
Hours: Wed. - Sun. 9a - 5p
978-441-0400

The Fuller Craft Museum Shop
455 Oak St.
Brockton, MA 02301
Museum Shop open Tues. - Sun. 10a - 5p, and Thurs. 10a - 9p
508-588-6000

And online at thegoodbuy.com, the Unitarian Universalist Service
Committee (UUSC)'s new website. All sales through their website help
support the UUSC's human rights work.

Like our Facebook page -- Click here!
Thank you for helping support women and other marginalized indigenous
artisans of Guatemala in earning fair pay for handcrafting beautiful and
meaningful gifts for us! We love helping to create bridges between our
cultures!

By purchasing from A Thread of Hope, you help support the important
cultural tradition of backstrap loom weaving which women use to make the
traditional blouses, belts, and hair ornaments so important to their
cultural identity. Through our providing a market for this
labor-intensive craft, these indigenous artisans have enough money to
send their children to school and to provide food and medicines for
their families. This is no small feat.

Your purchase also helps provide scholarships for three indigenous
students to attend university in Guatemala. One is studying to be a
clinical psychologist, one a nurse, and another a social worker.
Tax-deductible donations to support these scholarships are welcome!
Email me for details. Thank you!

In cooperation,

Eliza Strode, MSW
A Thread of Hope Guatemalan Fair Trade

  Mother Jones ad

Forward this email

More info athreadofhope at yahoo.com |

A Thread of Hope Guatemalan Fair Trade | P.O. Box 335 | Easthampton | MA