[act-ma] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Cambridge Forum February 3 - RECLAIMING CONVERSATION

director at cambridgeforum.org director at cambridgeforum.org
Fri Jan 29 08:50:37 PST 2016

RECLAIMING CONVERSATION
THE POWER OF TALK IN A DIGITAL AGE

Most conversations today involve distracted people looking at their phones
and not their partners. According to MIT Professor Sherry Turkle, this
situation is leading to a “crisis of empathy” at work, at home and in
our public life.  By fleeing from conversation, we are undermining our
relationships, creativity and productivity.

Turkle is Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology at MIT
and director of the MIT Initiative on Technology and Self. She has spent
four decades studying the relationship between people and technology. Her
current research indicates that the decline in thoughtful face-to-face
dialogue constitutes an epidemic and that in moving from “conversation to
mere connection”, we are losing our humanity. Turkle says her book is a
call to action - it is not “anti-technology” rather
“pro-conversation!”

Join us for a real live, face-to-face conversation with Sherry Turkle, on
February 3 at 7 PM at 1446 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge 02138.  All are
welcome!
--
Cambridge Forum
3 Church Street