[act-ma] 2/27, Event at Roxbury Mosque (Sat)

James in Cambridge tompaine at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 21:45:15 PST 2016

Passed along to the 'act-ma' list as a favor to Pat Scanlon of Veterans for Peace/Smedley Butler Brigade Chapter. jw

PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY - WE NEED HELP - WE NEED AS
MANY VFP MEMBERS AS POSSIBLE

Hello Veterans For Peace Members and Allies,

The Smedley
Muslim Friendship Committee has put together a wonderful program, Muslims are
Not Our Enemy, for this Saturday, February 27. We have a wonderful list
of veteran speakers including, Barry Lanendorf, President of Veterans For Peace,
Lindon Bilal, Commander of Muslim American Veterans Association, Joy Cumming,
State Adjutant, Dept. of MA Veterans of Foreign Wars. Also on the program; Dr.
John Robbins of the Council on American Islamic Relations will speak. Boston
Police Commissioner Bill Evans will also be addressing everyone. We have
eighteen speakers in all, thirteen of which are veterans representing most wars
from WWII up through the current conflicts. We have the PR group Fenton
Associates assisting us with press notices and press releases. Please keep in
mind that our event is happening three days before Super Tuesday when Massachusetts votes. Please bring your
flags and VFP clothing and hats.

THIS IS A
MAJOR EVENT AND WE NEED EVERYONES HELP TO MAKE THIS SUCCESSFUL.

If possible
please come early. We will be at the Mosque starting at 9:00
am to set up.

SOME
DETAILS:
Where:
Islamic Society fo Boston Cultural Center
100 Malcolm
x Blvd., Roxbury, MA
Date: Saturday,
February 27
The event will start at 11:00
am sharp and will conclude by 12:00
pm (noon). Everyone will then be invited into the Mosque
for refreshments. At 12:15 pm there will be a prayer service. For those
who would like to attend and experience what a Muslim prayer service is like you
are welcome to observe. Others will remain in the cafeteria.

PEACE
WALK: We are asking those Smedleys and others who can walk to assemble at 10:00 am two
blocks down from the Mosque at Dudley Square Plaza (see attached map), a
small park on Malcolm X Blvd, two blocks from the Mosque at 10:00
am. This park is on Malcolm X Blvd, between Washington Street and Shawmut
Ave, across from the US Post Office (Look for VFP flags). At 10:30
am sharp a small procession will step off heading to the Mosque.

WEATHER:
As of today, Saturday will be sunny and 41 degrees - PERFECT

TRANSPORTATION:
Public
Transportation: The Mosque is across the street from the Roxbury Crossing T stop on the
Orange Line.

Driving:
There will be parking available at the Mosque in their upper parking lot and
garage beneath the Mosque. The Mosque is located at 100 Malcolm X Blvd., in
Roxbury.
Enter the parking area off of Elmwood Street,
next to the Mosque. There will be people there to direct traffic.

ONE LAST
THING:
Please
circulate this message to everyone you know. We are inviting all our friends and
allies to come and participate and support this very important effort. Attached
is our Event Flyer and our Call to All Veterans and a map for
directions.

We look forward to a very successful
event.
Hope everyone can make it.