[act-ma] 9/24 The Wobblies in Their Heyday (Sat)

Bill Bumpus wbumpus62 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 05:50:55 PDT 2016

The Wobblies in Their Heyday

Saturday, September 24 – 2:00 p.m.

Somerville Public Library

79 Highland Avenue, Somerville

Author and former Somerville resident Eric Chester will discuss his
recent work, /The Wobblies in Their Heyday: The Rise and Destruction of
the Industrial Workers of the World during the World War I Era./

Based on extensive archival research, /The Wobblies in Their Heyday/
looks at the union during the World War I era when it was able to
organize militant strikes that drastically curtailed production in key
industries, copper mining and lumber. It also looks at the debates
within the union on how to build a broadly based movement to oppose the
war. The book also details the coordinated campaign of repression
launched by the administration of President Woodrow Wilson with the
intention of crushing the Wobblies.

This event is free and open to the public.
Sponsored by the Boston Labor Support Committee (617) 625-9070