[act-ma] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Cambridge Forum December 7: LONELINESS IN THE DIGITAL AGE

director at cambridgeforum.org director at cambridgeforum.org
Tue Nov 29 15:43:25 PST 2016

For immediate release:

LONELINESS IN THE DIGITAL AGE

According to UCLA researchers, 35% of Americans today report
themselves to be chronically lonely.  This growing epidemic persists
in a digital age, where we are purportedly more “connected” than ever.
  But what does it mean to have lots of Facebook friends, yet no one
to talk to?

Please come and take part in the next Cambridge Forum on December 7th
at 7 PM at First Parish Church, 1446 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge.
The subject is timely for the season and the event is free, and open
to all.

Join the discussion as Cambridge Forum investigates one of the most
urgent issues facing American society in the 21st Century -
loneliness. Loneliness is not just a painful sense of emotional
isolation it is also the root cause of many serious health problems.
We will attempt to unravel some of the causes of this pernicious
condition and consider the ways to ward off, or at least alleviate,
the curse of loneliness.

With the help of four great minds from different disciplines, all of
whom have written extensively on the theme of friendship or
loneliness, we will consider why loneliness is a such a growing
sociological phenomenon in our hi-tech, super-wired world.
Neuroscientific research seems to suggest that our brains are indeed
wired to connect, but they prefer human rather than digital
interaction.  So what constitutes true friendship and can a device
ever substitute for the power of human touch?

Our panel consists of Dr. Terry Freiberg, a social psychologist and
author of “Four Seasons of Loneliness”; Dr. Amy Banks, a psychiatrist
at Wellesley Centers for Women and author of “Wired to Connect: The
Surprising Link between Brain Science and Strong, Healthy
Relationships”; Professor Alex Pentland, who directs the MIT
Connection Science and Human Dynamics Labs and co-author of a recent
study in the journal PLOS , “Are you Your Friends’ Friend? Poor
Perception of Friendship Ties”; and Professor Alexander Nehamas,
Princeton Philosopher and author of the book “On Friendship”.

For more information:
Contact MARY STACK 617-495-2727 or director at cambridgeforum.org

Mary Stack, Director
Cambridge Forum