[act-ma] Exploring Class and Classism 5/17

Anne Phillips anne at classism.org
Thu May 11 10:13:58 PDT 2017

Exploring Class & Classism
Wednesday, May 17th
5:30 - 9:00 pm

BEST Hospitality Training Center (Dudley Square)
http://www.classism.org/events/exploring-class-and-classism-3/

As the political climate has shifted, we must learn how to work better
across class, and to lift up the voices of working-class and
low-income people who stand to be most affected by the actions of the
new administration.

In this workshop, participants will explore:

*  How class identities affect our lives, our work and our
relationships
*  How race intersects with class
*  How we can become more inclusive with others from different
class backgrounds than ourselves and why that's important
*  How we can build community with people from all class
backgrounds

If you have been thinking about bringing Class Action to your
workplace, group or religious community, this is an opportunity not to
miss. Group discounts are available.
"Class Action creates a safe and participatory way to explore
challenging issues that we need to explore to build a more whole
community."
-Recent workshop participant

Class Action has spent 13 years developing creative ways of asking
questions, sharing personal experiences and helping people to engage
with issues of class in a meaningful way. Our popular education
workshops are highly interactive, engaging and focused on learning
from one another in the room.

Register Here: http://www.classism.org/events/exploring-class-and-classism-3/

Cost: $5-$40 based on ability to pay (Space is limited)
No credit card? Register by replying to this email and pay at the
door.

If you are unable to pay the suggested minimum $5, please contact us
to learn more about scholarships.workshops at classism.org

Facilitators

Denise Moorehead - Born into a lower-middle-class family, Denise
Moorehead was raised in
Western Massachusetts as an only child for 11 years. Her parents, both
"strivers" increased their educational and earning power
in conjunction with opportunities previously unavailable to
African-Americans thanks to the civil rights movement. They were able
to offer Denise dance and instrument lessons, summer camp, French camp
and more. As a young child, she was often in the company of
upper-middle-class children in these settings and working class and
lower middle children in her neighborhood. Her parents prepared her to
fit in with all groups. Today, Denise is a marketing, communications
and training strategist working with nonprofits and small businesses
as the principal of Moorehead Creative Solutions. She recently
cofounded UU Class Conversations, which provides training and
organizing support to Unitarian Universalist congregations and
organizations working to make the denomination more class-inclusive.

Joanie Parker - Joanie grew up in Pittsburgh, the hometown of her
parents, with a
father who was raised owning class and a mother raised working class.
Throughout her life, she was always trying to figure out why some
people were left out and others weren't in society. She decided
to become an elementary school teacher to provide an environment where
children could feel good about themselves. From there she was trained
as a machine operator and worked in a factory for 10 years and was
very involved with her union. Over the past 30 years, she has worked
in the labor movement and has been actively involved in work to end
racism. Currently, she is coordinating a Mentoring Program through the
Women's Institute for Leadership Development (WILD). She is also
committed to working with individuals and groups on the effects of our
class backgrounds and how we can actively work to end classism.