[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - December 31, 2017

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Dec 24 10:54:34 PST 2017

Happy Merry New and Bah Humbug!

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

*******
———
———
******

————————————
Thursday, December 28
————————————

6pm  Boston Climate Action Network Meeting

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Warning:  Finding Cassandras to Stop Catastrophes
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2017/12/warning-fidning-cassandras-to-stop.html

Geometry Links - December 21, 2017
http://geometrylinks.blogspot.com/2017/12/geometry-links-december-21-2017.html

————————————
Thursday, December 28
————————————

Boston Climate Action Network Meeting
Thursday, December 28
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EST
First Baptist Church, 633 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-climate-action-network-meeting-tickets-39329028182

We're working towards fighting climate change through improved energy policy and education at the local level in Boston. The BCAN Action Team meeting is a great way to get directly involved in the effort to combat climate change in the era of Trump. We gather twice per month on the 2nd and 4th Thursday from 6-8pm at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain.
Come meet the Communications Team, the Arts Team, and other dedicated climate campaigners to learn how you can help us plan outreach for the Community Choice Energy campaign - https://communitychoiceboston.org
Curious to learn more about Community Choice Energy? Check out our video at https://youtu.be/6HkNZiN-FX4

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

———————————
Wednesday, January 3
———————————

Mending Cambridge in a #MeToo Moment: An interactive conversation for men ond others
Wednesday, January 3
4:30 PM – 6:30 PM EST
Sonia Room at the Middle East, 10 Brookline Street, Central Square, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mending-cambridge-in-a-metoo-moment-an-interactive-conversation-for-men-on-ending-sexual-harassment-tickets-40111848619

As this critical discussion continues in our society, Mending Cambridge* is hosting this interactive conversation. We will also identify ways for men and boys to take action to change the culture of discrimination, domination and violence directed against women and girls – and that robs men and boys of their humanity. Mending Cambridge member and expert facilitator Duane de Four will use audio recordings of high-profile incidents of sexism to guide a discussion on strategies to interrupt harmful behaviors.

When will it end? As Ted Bunch from A Call to Men said just this month: “It’s not going to end unless men become part of the solution…. Together, we can help create a world where all men and boys are loving and respectful and all women and girls are valued and safe.”

We hope you will join us on January 3 and that you can support – and even join – the work of Mending Cambridge.

——————————
Thursday, January 4
——————————

Talk Data to Me:  Predicting Trends in 2018
Thursday, January 4
6:30 – 8:30 pm EST
GA Boston, 125 Summer Street 13th Floor, Boston

In January, we are inviting industry leaders to join us and share some predictions around what we should expect to see in 2018. What will be some of the most exciting applications of machine learning and AI? What industries will begin leveraging data and technology in new ways? Will there be any new consumer products (maybe autonomous vehicles) on the market this year? What kinds of new regulations and data protections will we see surface?

Why It Matters:
We live in a world with seemingly infinite data, and if you can learn the right balance of skills, there are lucrative opportunities available to you. Data affects not only how we run our businesses, but how we live as individuals. Understanding the ways you can leverage data in your personal and professional life can help you find key insights, make smarter decisions, and elevate your career.

By signing up for this event, you're giving our sponsors permission to contact you about upcoming events and promotions.

Talk Data to Me is a monthly event series where we host thought-leaders from the Boston data community to discuss the possibilities that data brings to life.

—————————
Monday, January 8
—————————

Quick & Dirty Data Management: The 5 Things You Should Absolutely Be Doing with Your Data Now
Monday, January 8
3:00pm to 4:00pm
MIT, Building 14N-132 (DIRC), 160 Memorial Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at http://libcal.mit.edu/event/3760733

Do you have data? (Who doesn't?!?) Learn about the five basic things you can do now to manage your data for future happiness. These tools and techniques support practical data management and you can start using them immediately. Work with your personal data or research data, but start working now to ensure a future you who is secure in the existence, understandability, and reusability of your data!

Contact: Christine Malinowski, cmalin at mit.edu

************
----------------
Opportunity
----------------
************

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

Solar map of Cambridge, MA
http://www.mapdwell.com/en/cambridge

———————————

Sunny Cambridge has just launched! Sunny Cambridge is the city-wide initiative that makes it easy for all types of residents to get solar power for their homes. Cambridge has lined up local solar installers through the EnergySage Solar Marketplace, which helps you request, receive, and compare solar quotes 100% online with support available every step of the way.

The City of Cambridge is working on many levels to reduce energy use and GHG emissions to make the city more sustainable. As a semifinalist in the nationwide competition for the $5 million Georgetown University Energy Prize, Cambridge Energy Alliance is encouraging residents to take actions to save energy, save money, and protect the environment. Get involved by signing up for a no-cost home energy assessment at the Cambridge Energy Alliance home page (www.cambridgeenergyalliance.org/winit)
and going solar at http://www.sunnycambridge.org

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
MIT Energy Club:  http://mitenergyclub.org/
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Microsoft NERD Center:  http://microsoftcambridge.com/Events/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.